Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win Butler was right about VIP

Default Re: Win Butler was right about VIP

And here I thought there might be a thoughtful discussion of the distraction and inconvenience the huge guest access areas to the sides were. It was a lot easier to get a good spot before Coachella had those. One of the selling points of Coachella was the egalitarian aspect--more like the European festivals. There were always people to the sides of the stages, which did not interfere with anything. For most of the sets I saw, the "VIP" (guest access) areas were empty or close to it. So, people had to jam into the small area to the right of these sections--difficult to get out of I am sure! By the way, I think the guest access sections may have been smaller Weekend 2--or am I imagining it?

Yeah, totally not a thoughtful discussion. OP is just a twat that didn't feel VIP enough...and thinks Win Butler agrees with her.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

VIP passes are not worth the extra cash. It's an ego thing for those that have em on to talk about as they come to the Fest...to feel elite for a few moments before reality hits.
    VIP at Coachella my be worth an extra $20 but that's it IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
    And here I thought there might be a thoughtful discussion of the distraction and inconvenience the huge guest access areas to the sides were. It was a lot easier to get a good spot before Coachella had those.
    I agree; during most of the day they were often empty, leaving big gaps in the audience. For the last shows of the night, though, they were ridiculously overcrowded, resulting in pushy lines of entitled people squeezing into the front.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    VIP has NEVER been allowed in the guest area at the front of stages. A few security guards may have let people in by mistake, but they weren't supposed to. The fact that it doesn't list viewing area access should be enough to let you know it is not available. If it was don't you think it would be one of the first things mentioned in regards to amenities? I love that VIP costs $800 and all it gets you is access to a couple "VIP" areas. Anyone that has to pay for VIP is not technically a VIP. Sorry for your entitlement. Nowhere on the site does it say you get access to any special viewing area. You know this before you buy. You have no one to blame but yourself.
    internet social elitist douche bag poster. Loooaasser!!

I happened to have a VIP pass and tried to get in front at the Outdoor Stage for Lorde last weekend and at first, the security lady said I could go, and then reconsidered and said I could not. I saw that everyone who was up there had red or blueish purple wristbands while mine was aqua colored with the VIP tab. Bummer.

When did they start sectioning off so much space in the front for artist guest VIPs??? Maybe I have not tried to go up front in the while (has it really been since 2008 for Portishead??), but it seems ridiculous how much space was cordoned off in the front of the Outdoor stage and the Coachella stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I think those big areas started in 2011.

Maybe the stages started to collapse under the weight of the increasing numbers of "artist/guests" getting terrible side stage views of the bands so they had to give them secure pens in front.

Really enjoyed watching the "VIPs" in the camp ground wait in line to spend $5 for a shower rather than walking another 500 feet to discover that the regular showers had no line.

Quote Originally Posted by Chella Bella View Post
    At Coachella - weekend one, Win Butler from Arcade Fire blasted the Coachella Festival Promoters for their VIP debacle. I was there, I was VIP, I felt ripped off. Coachella is trying to fly under the radar with their recently diminished VIP passes and the losers are the festival goers that unwittingly paid the premium price. A VIP pass purchased in 2014 does not provide access to the premium viewing area next to the Coachella Stage as it did in recent years. The areas in front of the stages are exclusive for VIP Special Guest and Artist. During my Week One 3 day VIP experience I was never granted access to any special viewing areas (such as the area by the Coachella stage).

The VIP purchase can be misleading...There are 2 basic passes available on the sale page; General Admission for $375 and VIP for $799. Since (1) there is not a pass sold called VIP “Special Guest”, (2) VIP passes are double the price therefore you expect to receive double the experience, (3) festivals at the same caliber of Coachella offer VIP viewing areas, (4) VIP used to include access to the viewing area next to the Coachella Stage, and (5) there is no warning that the VIP pass is diminished or that the Special Guest designation is granted by "powers that be" to the elite, family, friends, one could easily be fooled that VIP is the pass you need to purchase to access the premium viewing areas.

The web site is clear that Coachella VIP passes grants you access to 2 VIP areas for drinking, eating, and bathrooms. If you are going to Coachella for convenient upfront and close viewing of your favorite bands, VIP DOES NOT PROVIDE YOU ANY BENEFIT. If you want a worthy VIP experience, I suggest you look into Bonnaroo (Tenn), SASQUATCH! (Wash), Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival (San Francisco), Lollapalooza (Chicago), Snowball Music Festival (Denver) …they all provide special viewing platforms or viewing areas.

If you are not going for the live artist experience, the $141 per day premium will allow you to sit in a VIP drinking area all day long. Between all the conversations going on by folks not listening to the music, you can still hear the music from a local remote speaker. Over 3 days I visited the VIP areas 5 times for a quick drink, quick food, and bathroom break. VIP fell enormously short of double the experience.

These are entirely my observations and opinions and I encourage you to thoroughly investigate what the VIP pass offers and I warn you not to make any assumptions based on past Coachella experiences or what their competitors are offering. Coachella isn't keeping up with other high visibility festivals. Bummer for them and us!
    People mix up "VIP" passes with "All Access" passes. "All Access" are the true VIPS, like the Kardashians and Lindsay Lohans. I love being a mere "General Admission", holding court with the people on the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I love that this dipshit doesn't understand what Win was actually saying.
    Win wants to remind the people and the media that Coachella is a music festival. Music should be the focus, not the background. Celebrity watching and the latest fashions should not be the nucleus of Coachella, just the cytoplasm.

during poolside when they spraying us down with water i heard something to the likes of

"hey spray this side.....oh nevermind they are VIP"

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    Win wants to remind the people and the media that Coachella is a music festival. Music should be the focus, not the background. Celebrity watching and the latest fashions should not be the nucleus of Coachella, just the cytoplasm.
    Mitochondria are the power station
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Mitochondria are the power station
    Arcadia > the Power Station

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    Come on man, you really believe your own shit? Its a music festival and I believe the super majority could care less about seeing celebs. Fashion has always been intertwined with music..duh.

Wins comment's were pretty fucking bad ass for a pussy indie rock band. But, I thought they played a good show.

I believe Win was talking about the backstage vip bullshit, including bieber. I for one like the VIP. Yes I pay more but I also go at 11-12 am everyday, both weekends. Sitting down on a couch in the shade is nice. That said, I can afford it and don't bitch about the price. This year I had all access guest passes both weekends, I had a great time and hung out with a lot of cool bands and will do it again. I gave my vip tickets away once I got the guest passes

Quote Originally Posted by homersexual View Post
    Come on man, you really believe your own shit? Its a music festival and I believe the super majority could care less about seeing celebs. Fashion has always been intertwined with music..duh.

Wins comment's were pretty fucking bad ass for a pussy indie rock band. But, I thought they played a good show.
    I hope you are right, but many people do not attend primarily with music as the focus, although that is not true form the "regulars" who post on here. On the other hand, anything that gets people to attend Coachella ensures there will be future Coachellas.