Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win Butler was right about VIP

Lurker

Thumbs down Win Butler was right about VIP

At Coachella - weekend one, Win Butler from Arcade Fire blasted the Coachella Festival Promoters for their VIP debacle. I was there, I was VIP, I felt ripped off. Coachella is trying to fly under the radar with their recently diminished VIP passes and the losers are the festival goers that unwittingly paid the premium price. A VIP pass purchased in 2014 does not provide access to the premium viewing area next to the Coachella Stage as it did in recent years. The areas in front of the stages are exclusive for VIP Special Guest and Artist. During my Week One 3 day VIP experience I was never granted access to any special viewing areas (such as the area by the Coachella stage).

The VIP purchase can be misleading...There are 2 basic passes available on the sale page; General Admission for $375 and VIP for $799. Since (1) there is not a pass sold called VIP “Special Guest”, (2) VIP passes are double the price therefore you expect to receive double the experience, (3) festivals at the same caliber of Coachella offer VIP viewing areas, (4) VIP used to include access to the viewing area next to the Coachella Stage, and (5) there is no warning that the VIP pass is diminished or that the Special Guest designation is granted by "powers that be" to the elite, family, friends, one could easily be fooled that VIP is the pass you need to purchase to access the premium viewing areas.

The web site is clear that Coachella VIP passes grants you access to 2 VIP areas for drinking, eating, and bathrooms. If you are going to Coachella for convenient upfront and close viewing of your favorite bands, VIP DOES NOT PROVIDE YOU ANY BENEFIT. If you want a worthy VIP experience, I suggest you look into Bonnaroo (Tenn), SASQUATCH! (Wash), Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival (San Francisco), Lollapalooza (Chicago), Snowball Music Festival (Denver) …they all provide special viewing platforms or viewing areas.

If you are not going for the live artist experience, the $141 per day premium will allow you to sit in a VIP drinking area all day long. Between all the conversations going on by folks not listening to the music, you can still hear the music from a local remote speaker. Over 3 days I visited the VIP areas 5 times for a quick drink, quick food, and bathroom break. VIP fell enormously short of double the experience.

These are entirely my observations and opinions and I encourage you to thoroughly investigate what the VIP pass offers and I warn you not to make any assumptions based on past Coachella experiences or what their competitors are offering. Coachella isn't keeping up with other high visibility festivals. Bummer for them and us!

Default Re: Win Butler was right about VIP

VIP has NEVER been allowed in the guest area at the front of stages. A few security guards may have let people in by mistake, but they weren't supposed to. The fact that it doesn't list viewing area access should be enough to let you know it is not available. If it was don't you think it would be one of the first things mentioned in regards to amenities? I love that VIP costs $800 and all it gets you is access to a couple "VIP" areas. Anyone that has to pay for VIP is not technically a VIP. Sorry for your entitlement. Nowhere on the site does it say you get access to any special viewing area. You know this before you buy. You have no one to blame but yourself.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 04-17-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Wait, I think I know this song? Is this the one where we bitch about VIP and if its worth it and why would people pay for it?
    Jesus, doesn't this ever get old?

the description of VIP is on the website and completely accurate. and has not changed in many years. if anything, the last time it changed was when the ROSE GARDEN was ADDED.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

wah wah wah. if you're not riding dirty then you're doing it completely wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Quote Originally Posted by Chella Bella View Post
    (4) VIP used to include access to the viewing area next to the Coachella Stage
    When was that actually the case?

(5) there is no warning that the VIP pass is diminished or that the Special Guest designation is granted by "powers that be" to the elite, family, friends, one could easily be fooled that VIP is the pass you need to purchase to access the premium viewing areas.
    You can also get access to the viewing areas if you buy a Safari Tent, win Carpoolchella, are a celebrity, or know someone.

The web site is clear that Coachella VIP passes grants you access to 2 VIP areas for drinking, eating, and bathrooms. If you are going to Coachella for convenient upfront and close viewing of your favorite bands, VIP DOES NOT PROVIDE YOU ANY BENEFIT.
    Does the website tell you that you get upfront viewing? No. You could also search here and find many threads about the waste of money that a VIP ticket is. People pay for it, so they sell it. It sells out every year. It sold out before the festival started selling out. I don't blame the promoters. There's no deception here. Caveat emptor. Knowing what you're paying for before you fork over more than double the cash is on you, not them.

If you want a worthy VIP experience, I suggest you look into Bonnaroo (Tenn), SASQUATCH! (Wash), Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival (San Francisco), Lollapalooza (Chicago), Snowball Music Festival (Denver) …they all provide special viewing platforms or viewing areas. If you are not going for the live artist experience, the $141 per day premium will allow you to sit in a VIP drinking area all day long. Between all the conversations going on by folks not listening to the music, you can still hear the music from a local remote speaker. Over 3 days I visited the VIP areas 5 times for a quick drink, quick food, and bathroom break. VIP fell enormously short of double the experience.
    A bonaroo VIP ticket is $1500. Their regular tickets top out at under $300. So you're paying for 5X the experience there. I'd say access to up front viewing IS 5X the experience. It's not 2X. You were expecting too much.
    ______
    1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

you really signed up for the forums just to write this essay?
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Passion Pit drew the biggest congregation of white people that couldn't dance that I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the description of VIP is on the website and completely accurate. and has not changed in many years. if anything, the last time it changed was when the ROSE GARDEN was ADDED.
    Wait. You never promised me a Rose Garden.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Paying an extra 4 hundred bucks to go to the festival does not make you a very important person in my books. It makes you fucking stupid. Smooth moves.
    Anything is possible...

I love that this dipshit doesn't understand what Win was actually saying.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I bet Win didn't even use the posh VIP bathrooms.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

It's been a while since Win Butler has been right about anything, judging by the last two Arcade Fire albums.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Your sorry eyes cut through the bone
    They make it hard to leave you alone
    Leave you here wearing your wounds
    Waving your guns at somebody new

Baby you're lost
    Baby you're lost
    Baby you're a lost cause

There's too many people you used to know
    They see you coming they see you go
    They know your secrets and you know theirs
    This town is crazy; nobody cares

Baby you're lost
    Baby you're lost
    Baby you're a lost cause

I'm tired of fighting
    I'm tired of fighting
    Fighting for a lost cause

Thereâ's a place where you are going
    You ain't never been before
    No one left to watch your back now
    No one standing at your door
    That's what you thought love was for

Baby you're lost
    Baby you're lost
    Baby you're a lost cause

I'm tired of fighting
    I'm tired of fighting
    Fighting for a lost cause

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

At Coachella - weekend one, Win Butler from Arcade Fire blasted the Coachella Festival Promoters for their VIP debacle. I was there, I was VIP, I felt ripped off. Coachella is trying to fly under the radar with their recently diminished VIP passes and the losers are the festival goers that unwittingly paid the premium price. A VIP pass purchased in 2014 does not provide access to the premium viewing area next to the Coachella Stage as it did in recent years. The areas in front of the stages are exclusive for VIP Special Guest and Artist. During my Week One 3 day VIP experience I was never granted access to any special viewing areas (such as the area by the Coachella stage).

The VIP purchase can be misleading...There are 2 basic passes available on the sale page; General Admission for $375 and VIP for $799. Since (1) there is not a pass sold called VIP “Special Guest”, (2) VIP passes are double the price therefore you expect to receive double the experience, (3) festivals at the same caliber of Coachella offer VIP viewing areas, (4) VIP used to include access to the viewing area next to the Coachella Stage, and (5) there is no warning that the VIP pass is diminished or that the Special Guest designation is granted by "powers that be" to the elite, family, friends, one could easily be fooled that VIP is the pass you need to purchase to access the premium viewing areas.

The web site is clear that Coachella VIP passes grants you access to 2 VIP areas for drinking, eating, and bathrooms. If you are going to Coachella for convenient upfront and close viewing of your favorite bands, VIP DOES NOT PROVIDE YOU ANY BENEFIT. If you want a worthy VIP experience, I suggest you look into Bonnaroo (Tenn), SASQUATCH! (Wash), Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival (San Francisco), Lollapalooza (Chicago), Snowball Music Festival (Denver) …they all provide special viewing platforms or viewing areas.

If you are not going for the live artist experience, the $141 per day premium will allow you to sit in a VIP drinking area all day long. Between all the conversations going on by folks not listening to the music, you can still hear the music from a local remote speaker. Over 3 days I visited the VIP areas 5 times for a quick drink, quick food, and bathroom break. VIP fell enormously short of double the experience.

These are entirely my observations and opinions and I encourage you to thoroughly investigate what the VIP pass offers and I warn you not to make any assumptions based on past Coachella experiences or what their competitors are offering. Coachella isn't keeping up with other high visibility festivals. Bummer for them and us!
    Sounds like you need to, Wake Up.

December 31 - Matthew Dear/The Sword/Pallbearer
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 10 - 1349
    February 28 - A Place To Bury Strangers
    April 6 - Swans
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    April 17 - Clark/Nosaj Thing
    May 8-10 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 15-17 - Psycho California
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury

Quote Originally Posted by Twattycakes View Post
    Paying an extra 4 hundred bucks to go to the festival does not make you a very important person in my books. It makes you fucking stupid. Smooth moves.
    DISSED BY PEASANTS

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I love that this dipshit doesn't understand what Win was actually saying.
    This.

Hashtag dumb cash cow.

The web site is clear that Coachella VIP passes grants you access to 2 VIP areas for drinking, eating, and bathrooms.
    I get to stand in line for Spicy Pie and crap in a dirty porta-potie. Not such a bad gig since I have an extra $400 in my pocket by not buying VIP!

i guess i won't be doing VIP next year

My only complaint about VIP is that it's not expensive enough. Next year boost the price to $2500 per pass. Make the talent agencies and the other cultural moneychangers really feel that burn

Quote Originally Posted by Twattycakes View Post
    totally! i know to each their own..but i don't see how people actually want to buy vip passes..i guess if you really want to sit on a couch in the shade for all money? lolz i've never had to wait to more than 3-5 min(being generous) for food or drinks..plus you can't see shit in the vip area near the main stage..just hilarious to me..i actually had friends go vip this year and they got upset when win went on his rant haha
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

This topic never goes anywhere. If it makes you feel better they can change the name of that ticket to GA Plus. Even when you are in VIP it's clear you aren't VIP. Guest passes, safari passes, artists passes, production passes are VIP. So let's say I'm cool with paying an extra 4 bills per ticket for access to areas that allow me to be slightly less resourceful in times of need. A slight bit of comfort a touch of higher end options and a quiet, clean place to escape, can all be nice when you are putting in the effort to hang in the desert all day. Call it something else if that makes you feel better. It's not VIP till you have the connections or the 6500 for a pair of guest passes.

VIP bathrooms were JUST as shitty as the regular portapottys. The amazing bathrooms were the Rose garden ones. and only those.

VIP meant:
    quick entrance, quick exit.
    Shorter lines for food and bathrooms.
    quick interactions with Celebs.
    option to purchase liquor
    an extra place to chill and lay out.
    extra Samsung tent that always had batteries when the normal Samsung tent would run out.

NOTHING MORE

Quote Originally Posted by sinclair View Post
    This topic never goes anywhere. If it makes you feel better they can change the name of that ticket to GA Plus. Even when you are in VIP it's clear you aren't VIP. .
    Here is the bottom line. If you are paying for VIP, you're not VIP.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Liquor is available outside of the VIP area, that's no longer a bonus.

VIP is not, never has, and never will be for people who care one iota about any of the music taking place, and I'm really not sure why it takes comments from some indie rock band lead singer in 2014 to make this public knowledge.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    VIP is not, never has, and never will be for people who care one iota about any of the music taking place, and I'm really not sure why it takes comments from some indie rock band lead singer in 2014 to make this public knowledge.
    This is a small minded comment. My wife and I both love the music and are highly dedicated.
    As I stated before, its entirely about convenience. Its not that I cant find liquor, good food, clean space to relax or bathrooms if I hunt (as noted in my weekend 2, day 2 review) Its just that when I want them, I know I can go to the two VIP areas and get them with little to no wait. Its that convenience that I am paying for.
    However, we spend 90% of our time outside of the VIP in the music that we love, its solely about what we do that other 10% of the time that is worth it to us.

Like I said, I dont feel VIP or think I'm VIP, thats just what that type of access is called. If anything Coachella should change the name of the product to something else so it doesnt carry with it some bullshit label that causes drama.

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    This is a small minded comment. My wife and I both love the music and are highly dedicated.
    As I stated before, its entirely about convenience. Its not that I cant find liquor, good food, clean space to relax or bathrooms if I hunt (as noted in my weekend 2, day 2 review) Its just that when I want them, I know I can go to the two VIP areas and get them with little to no wait. Its that convenience that I am paying for.
    However, we spend 90% of our time outside of the VIP in the music that we love, its solely about what we do that other 10% of the time that is worth it to us.

Like I said, I dont feel VIP or think I'm VIP, thats just what that type of access is called. If anything Coachella should change the name of the product to something else so it doesnt carry with it some bullshit label that causes drama.

I think the fact that you only use the VIP area as a temporary safe haven for the amenities it offers and not as a place to spend every waking hour of your day in to use solely as a means to have a networking wank session with other people from various corporations who didn't pay a dime to get into said VIP section shows that I clearly wasn't really talking about you with the whole 'not caring about music' statement. VIP at Coachella is not at all different than VIP at literally any other event.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Ain't that the damn truth.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Here is the bottom line. If you are paying for VIP, you're not VIP.
    Helping you make 2014 the best festival ever...

As close to being your dedicated driver without the price.

Just when you think you are getting ahead of the rat race, along comes faster rats.