Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My name is Mikey Lion, I'm a House DJ, and I'm playing The Do Lab on Saturday!

Wink My name is Mikey Lion, I'm a House DJ, and I'm playing The Do Lab on Saturday!

Hey what's up Coachella Fam, I'm just introducing myself since I'm one of the lesser known DJs on The Do Lab Stage this year.

My name is Mikey Lion and I'm a top hat wearing 25 year old House DJ from San Diego. It's incredibly surreal for me to be playing Coachella this year because Coachella is where I first found my love of House music 9 years ago. I was a hip hop/scratch DJ a couple years before my friend dragged me to my first Coachella in 2006. At some point during that weekend someone told us we should check out Daft Punk as they were supposed to be performing their first North American show in a long time. I had never heard of Daft Punk and in fact I'd never even heard dance music before. I'd definitely never taken ecstasy until then either... So add that perfect storm together and bam I became a techie head for life that night. "Hip hop!? Psh ya right!" was pretty much what went through my head after that show. It was the single most important moment in my life. I knew I had to be a House DJ from that point on. I went to Coachella for 6 years in a row after that before eventually finding The Do Lab's Lightning in a Bottle Festival. LIB pretty much changed my life again and set me on a path towards more Burning Man influenced festivals.

Last year along with my friends, I started my own festival in Southern California by the name of Desert Hearts. Our lineup focuses 100% on proper House, Deep House, Tech House & Techno and music runs non-stop from Friday at 4pm until Monday at noon. Our Spring Festival is actually the weekend after Coachella and we're expecting around 2000 people. Not only is Desert Hearts the best thing I've ever been a part of, but I can honestly say it's the best party I've ever been to. In fact it feels more like a movement focused around music and love than just a party. ResidentAdvisor.net even went so far to say Desert Hearts is "One of America's best electronic music experiences." Not bad for only being 1.5 years old!

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to get to know me. I'm still in awe that I'm playing Coachella. On Saturday, 1:30pm at The Do Lab, I'm going to put everything I've got into this set and leave nothing on the table. It's the culmination of all the love and energy I have put into this past decade and I'm going to make the most of this opportunity. I hope you guys check out my tunes!

Much Love Coachella! <3

Mikey Lion

Soundcloud & Facebook links if you wanna check me out!
    www.soundcloud.com/mikeylion
    www.facebook.com/mikeylionmusic
    www.deserthearts.us

Mikey Lion Beer.jpg
    Last edited by MikeyLion; 04-17-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Default Re: My name is Mikey Lion, I'm a House DJ, and I'm playing The Do Lab on Saturday!

of course man! I'll come check your music out!

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Default Re: My name is Mikey Lion, I'm a House DJ, and I'm playing The Do Lab on Saturday!

Mikey, how did you playing Coachella come to be? Who reached out to who?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Congratz man! Live it up. You're living the dream!

This is wayyyyyyy to easy. IT'S A TRAP!
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Hey Mikey! Congrats on the booking! I'm sure you're beyond stoked.

I hope you'll join us at another Noise Revolt show sometime soon.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

Congrats man!

As a fellow aspiring "Mikey" Music Producer/DJ to another, hope you kill it this weekend!
    Last edited by mikey1313666; 04-17-2014 at 09:38 AM.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Mikey, how did you playing Coachella come to be? Who reached out to who?
    It's actually a pretty cool story. I played Lightning in a Bottle back in 2012 so I had some pretty good ties over at The Do Lab. This past year, LIB got a ton of flack from everyone due to the massively increased police presence that was all over the Temecula festival grounds. I have a pretty solid network of fans in the Burner/LIB community and I stood up for LIB publicly on Facebook when everyone else was bashing them for selling out, etc... My post was something along the lines of how, "I'm not sure when it became cool to hate on Lightning in a Bottle, but LIB straight up changed my life and I'll be forever grateful for The Do Lab and all they are trying to accomplish." The post ended up getting like 400 likes or something crazy like that and the higher ups at The Do Lab saw that. A few days later I received a phone call from the same dude who booked me for LIB and he told me how much everyone at The Do Lab appreciated me sticking up for them and they would be honored to have me play their stage at Coachella. I was in the car with my mom heading out to lunch when they called me and asked me to play Coachella. I'll never forget that car ride as it was pretty much me and my mom screaming and freaking out like little girls about making it this far as a DJ. Happy happy happy

I'm only checking you out because your promo pic is fantastic.

Hi Mikey. 2006 was my first year, too, but I went for Madonna and Depeche Mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

what life-changing moment made you decide to don the top hat?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    The same day he became a lion

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyLion View Post
    It's actually a pretty cool story. I played Lightning in a Bottle back in 2012 so I had some pretty good ties over at The Do Lab. This past year, LIB got a ton of flack from everyone due to the massively increased police presence that was all over the Temecula festival grounds. I have a pretty solid network of fans in the Burner/LIB community and I stood up for LIB publicly on Facebook when everyone else was bashing them for selling out, etc... My post was something along the lines of how, "I'm not sure when it became cool to hate on Lightning in a Bottle, but LIB straight up changed my life and I'll be forever grateful for The Do Lab and all they are trying to accomplish." The post ended up getting like 400 likes or something crazy like that and the higher ups at The Do Lab saw that. A few days later I received a phone call from the same dude who booked me for LIB and he told me how much everyone at The Do Lab appreciated me sticking up for them and they would be honored to have me play their stage at Coachella. I was in the car with my mom heading out to lunch when they called me and asked me to play Coachella. I'll never forget that car ride as it was pretty much me and my mom screaming and freaking out like little girls about making it this far as a DJ. Happy happy happy
    Hell yeah! That's awesome man. Would do just about anything to get a foot in the door with LIB like that. Enjoy Weekend 2!!
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    Burning Man 2012.

At my first LIB in 2012, I was freaking out because I had never been to any festival or party that was that good before and completely focused on vibe just as much as the music. I was gushing about how amazing it was to someone and they basically said, "pshhh if you think this is good, you need to go to Burning Man." I went home from LIB and bought my ticket to Burning Man the next day. I bought a top hat and decked it out with a lion pendant so I could have something cool to wear at the Burn, and it pretty much became a part of me while I was tripping balls on the Playa. The rest is history. I feel naked when I'm partying without it.

Here's a closer up pic of my main squeeze
    Mikey Lion Hat.jpg

That's a pretty cool hat but you might want to spot clean the bird shit off it.

Quote Originally Posted by flowbee View Post
    That's a pretty cool hat but you might want to spot clean the bird shit off it.
    It's clean

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Congrats. As much as I want to talk shit because I am bored, you seem like you're too genuine of a guy. Best of luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Was your former name Mikey Dogg by any chance?
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Ohhh myyy I still can't believe this is going down today... Both my parents and whole family are out here just for this moment. So much is riding on this show its crazy... Hope you guys can make it to The Do Lab at 130pm today.

If not you can always check out my new mix I put out a few days ago. That would make me happy too.
    http://soundcloud.com/gottadancedirt...arts-edition-1

Good luck! Don't fuck it up.

I think you should drop Animals. That's a really safe bet these days
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Congrats. As much as I want to talk shit because I am bored, you seem like you're too genuine of a guy. Best of luck!
    Yes. His sincerity has warmed my icy heart. Mikey - you've gotta give us a rundown of the experience after it's done.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Stick around, too. Don't get too big for us.
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

After 2 Kvnty fists, how can anything be too big for you?

Hope you killed it today! Would love to see some video if you have any

You were most excellent today. I will post pics later.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by Packer View Post
    After 2 Kvnty fists, how can anything be too big for you?
    With a name like Packer, I'd assume you'd know

Dude that turned out to be one of the best parties I've ever played! Thank you to all who showed up! I'd love to hear your feedback. It ended up being the most packed show the do lab had all day and vibe was so insane! My parents were hosing down people from the stage it was ridiculous.
    Also, dude, did anyone catch Tiga or Nas? They were by far my favorite of the day.

Charging Yuma tent all day today. Look for the top hat and come say what up

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyLion View Post
    Dude that turned out to be one of the best parties I've ever played! Thank you to all who showed up! I'd love to hear your feedback. It ended up being the most packed show the do lab had all day and vibe was so insane! My parents were hosing down people from the stage it was ridiculous.
    Also, dude, did anyone catch Tiga or Nas? They were by far my favorite of the day.

Charging Yuma tent all day today. Look for the top hat and come say what up
    Wish I was there this Weekend to say hello! Maybe I'll see ya over at LIB this year!

I didn't even make it to the festival this year, but this thread is perhaps the best thing I have read or heard about it. I wish I could have been there to see you, Mikey. I am extremely happy for the success your are experiencing. As others in the thread have said, you seem like a really cool cat (with a really cool hat). I got goose pimples thinking of the emotions circulating in that car after you received the call. How amazingly special to be able to share that moment with your mother! Glad to hear the set came off well, too. I'm going to check out your latest mix in the next couple of days. I'll get back to you with some thoughts. Congrats again! Take it easy.