Thread: What was wrong with the record store?

Default What was wrong with the record store?

Whats the difference between the new one and last years, other then no signings.

Default Re: What was wrong with the record store?

The selection they had was meh, and the prices a little bit high imo.

I actually got pissed off because I found a murder city devils album I was interested in and it had 2 price tags, a $10 white tag and a $20 tag. I inquired about it and they came up with some bullshit excuse about being the "back in the day price" and quickly removed the price. More like "back in the store" price tag.

Fuck that shit, you can get better stuff online or in local places.
    Last edited by ialvarado2; 04-16-2014 at 11:40 PM.

No Zia. that's the difference. I hope this week is better for RSD.... trying to find a few good things.

I walked in, looked at maybe two things and walked out pretty quick. I'll save my money for Amoeba or Warbler back home.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

they make you go thru the struggle to hold your things when you enter.
    they charge to hold your purchase for the day (zia would only charge for it to stay over night.)
    the selection was so small & whack.
    2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014

Did they not have shipping this year? I shipped every year to avoid carrying/warping my records in the heat.

Lurker

they had crappy selection, a bit expensive, no cds (i need to listen to music on the way home you know), charged for holding your record for the day. in general, they downgraded this year.

it was awful. zia was well organized, alphabetized, way more of a selection, more than just records. this year it was seriously bad.. no order at all, just random records everywhere. some of the racks had a genre written on a sticker, but they meant almost nothing. it was basically like going to salvation army/thrift stores. the only organization was cassettes in one place, 7"s/45s in another, LPs, and then a small new/sealed LP section for the bands playing. i always enjoyed going to zia, and this was not even anywhere close. huge downgrade from previous years.

I walked in after being blown away by Future Islands, 100% ready to buy their new album. But they didn't have anything from Future Islands.

My son said if you were a vinyl collector and had the time to dig through the crates there were some gems. He felt they bought a couple collections since a lot (or all?) were used. We spent 2 minutes not having the time to dig around. I'm with everyone else and missed Zia this year.

anything that wasn't brand new was $5
    everything else was priced NOT to sell...fuck that record tent.

Bummer. This is the first year I have a locker. Why no Zia?
    DRUGS ON KIDS

Well, for starters, I can't recall the last time I owned a record player...I was pretty disappointed that Zia wasn't there because that's where I'd always gotten any additions to my Coachella collection, and like mentioned before, it was more like a thrift store of unorganized records that you had to wade through. Won't deny that they had some gems from the past and I managed to find an originally mastered Dark Side of the Moon album that I talked Pete into getting for $30, but I would have much preferred to pick up music that caught my attention over the weekend.Good thing we have the internet, I guess.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

I was disappointed there were no signings. So I decided to pop in and look around, but they wanted me to check my camera bag. The one girl asked why she had to have people with such small bags check them, and the guy said because people could steal tapes.

Tapes. I am going to steal tapes. I turned around and never went back. That store is a disgrace.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I was disappointed there were no signings. So I decided to pop in and look around, but they wanted me to check my camera bag. The one girl asked why she had to have people with such small bags check them, and the guy said because people could steal tapes.

Tapes. I am going to steal tapes. I turned around and never went back. That store is a disgrace.
    Dude tapes are whats hip with the kids. THE ANALOG DISTORTION IS SO PURE AND RAW.
    DRUGS ON KIDS