Thread: We Are Lot 4

Lurker

Default We Are Lot 4

Let me start out with saying weekend 1 was a blast and a half!
    I am having withdraws already and am wishing I could attend weekend 2 to see everything that I missed.

This was my 4th Coachella and 3rd year attending the festival. I have camped 3 of my Coachella experiences and it's my favorite way to get the most out of the festival. My friends and I like to get to the grounds when the gates open for camping on Thursday morning so that we can be in Lot 8 and have a quick walk to the gates. This year was no different, we got there early, waited to get searched, waited for out friends in the waiting lot and were on our way. But there were two lanes and the right lane when passed through, continues to lot 8. The left lane was taken around to lot 4, I have never noticed this before that they filled up lot 4 so early on in the day or maybe this is the first year. Either way, it was a little upsetting because we show up early to be as close as we can to the gates. It's just how we roll. But everyone in lot 4 was in the same boat and were early for the same reasons as us. We bonded and had a great little community, so I am glad that worked out. We all seemed pretty bummed though about our placement and that we had to walk about 15 minutes to the festival gates when we showed up early to avoid that. A bunch of the spaces had red ants roaming EVERYWHERE and I have never seen those in lot 8 before. We overcame being upset rather quickly and had the beer flowing in no time. Just advice for those who who are showing up early weekend 2, get to that right lane after the search! Try to avoid lot 4 for convince purposes because that walk in the heat is awful and if the wind and dust at night is being kicked around on the walk back to camp, it is worse.
    Overall, our community was cool and friendships were formed over loathing of red ants, love of hummus, and the sport of flip cup.
    We are lot 4!

Default Re: We Are Lot 4

Same exact situation happened to my group! Showed up early expecting lot 8 but got 4 instead.. Lot 4 last year was a lot worse though. It was thorn infested and had ants.

Speaking of flip cup, there was a group on sunday roaming around with a table and challenging people to flip cup. That was pretty cool haha.

Lurker

THOSE WERE MY NEIGHBORS! They were way cool and that idea was genius, definitely going around next year and challenging people like they did!
    Did you get put in lot 4 last year as well?

I will get into that right lane kicking and screaming if I have to.

Lurker

Do It!
    if they start taking you anywhere but lot 8, ask to turn around, i saw a few people do it but I didn't know why. Now I know!
    Good luck tomorrow!

They tried to put us in lot 4, but we just turned around, drove past the entrance to Lot 8, and went in the side of Lot 8. When security asked us what we were doing way over there, we said we got confused/lost and they let us park right where we were. We thought we scored big time but it turned out we were a) right next to the bathroom and b) right next to a floodlight, so our plan backfired. The bathroom truck came every 2 hours, smelled horrible, and the light meant we couldn't ever get it dark enough to use all the lights we brought. Also, because we were on the end of the aisle we really had no way of blocking the wind that came on Saturday. A lot of our friends ended up in Lot 4 and were bummed but I think it was a pretty cool lot. Nice and small, great grass, and not too far away. Thumbs up for Lot 4!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I was parked and camped with the Ninja Turtle van on 155 S Broadway. I think lot 4 had about 10 portas total, but other than that, it was fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Any one willing to take on a couple stragglers??
    Can't get a hold of our original group and had to spend the night in companion parking...
    Shhhhh..... No one caught on to us...
    But yeah... We've got "goodies" to share and just want to have a good time with cool ass people!!
    And we have glow sticks and mini fans!!!

Our group showed up at 930am and got stuck I'm lot 4. I drove all night for nothing..

We were lot 4 too! So bummed that it was such a long walk (especially that first trek to the gates). It also made it extra hard to walk back to camp once at the venue to re-beer and recharge, so we would leave camp later in the day and stay until the end- which is exhausting, and exactly the reason we camp; so that we can go home and rest for a minute. Next year I'm down for lot 4 (the pottys were usually clean, the grass was nice, and not so much traffic) but I think we'll bring bikes!

Stop crying.

Healthy people bitching about walking really pisses me off. I'm waiting for a lung transplant and can barely comfortably walk anywhere most of the time. Suck it the fuck up and realize it could be worse. Way worse.

It could be way worse for anyone though. People can complain under any circumstance, and I choose to complain that I got lot 4 instead of 8.
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

The most frustrating part is how random it is. We got in line at 930, waited in the meetup lot and then drove towards the campspots. We were in the left lane and I started to get flashbacks of lot 4 from last year. Luckily, at that moment, they had both lanes turning right to go into lot 8. 30 minutes before or after, it could have been different.

I agree, you can't complain about walking, especially at coachella. But when you try and do everything in your power to avoid it, it sucks. In a perfect scenario, they turn lot 4 in "quiet" camping and let people choose to go into the lot as they arrive. seems simple enough to put a sign pointing left designating it.

Our group was so happy to take our shoes off in lot 8 this year once we got there after that sorry excuse of a lot last year. Immediately we knew this year would be better than the last for that simple reason. Bottom line, randomly getting shoved into an afterthought of a camping lot should not affect your overall experience, but it most certainly does.

I too was pissed when we we put into Lot4 but the Dirty Epic easily made up for it
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

Lurker

I am not trying to be dramatic or anything because overall, lot 4 was a good time. We made some pretty great friends!

But like we all have mentioned, when we drive through the night, or purchase hotels in advance, or whatever it may be, to get there for the purpose of being early for prime real estate and get directed to the back, its not ideal. I still wouldn't want to be placed there in the future, but if i was I can come prepared for it.

I LOVE the idea of bikes because that would make it way easier for the recharge phase of the day, for sure! I didn't expect to be so far away so I would have never thought to bring them.

OH, and your ninja turtle van was across the street from us!
    Last edited by Kaylieeee; 04-18-2014 at 09:32 AM.

I offered my solar shower for you to use one morning, if you were directly across. I was in the Santa Fe van on your right of the Turtle van, with the storage topper above.

I did not camp in lot 4 but had a large group of friends there, we spent 3 nights in lot 4. It was so much fun. Our neighbors in lot 8 on 104th street and the tinker toy log cabin, were dead and it was a "quiet area" So it was really nice to venture to lot 4 and hang there and walk back to the quiet suburbs of lot 8.
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

Lurker

We were a little to the left of the van but it was a work of art! I was admiring it through the weekend, do you own the beaut?

haha so what are the decided neighborhoods then, for next year? I'm hearing the suburbs, downtown, greek row/ university street... hahah I do think the option of being able to choose is interesting. Hell, we all pack and leave for those circumstances, why not?

when I saw that there were 2 lanes, I had the first car in our group cut into the right lane and let everyone go in front of her. Lot 4 was already full, but at least we avoided lot 7.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater)10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Lurker

We ended up in lot 4 also after getting there pretty early and expecting lot 8. But one surprise plus no one seems to be mentioning is how close and convenient the shuttles to the store were. Those 30 packs of beer can be quite heavy to carry a long way and in lot 4 you basically only had to carry them across a street.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Healthy people bitching about walking really pisses me off. I'm waiting for a lung transplant and can barely comfortably walk anywhere most of the time. Suck it the fuck up and realize it could be worse. Way worse.
    Stop whining, lunger. You could have zero lungs.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Last year we had the worst camping experience ever in lot 4 - enjoy this thread from last year:
    http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...se-Patch-LOT-4

This year we tried to get there earlier to try to avoid lot 4 again (last year we got there at 8 PM ish), this year we got there at 5. When we passed through the first gates, we were ordered to the left side of the 2 lanes - since we had a group of cars (3 total) and wanted to stay together. As someone stated above, the right lane went to lot 8 or lot 10 or lot 7 I think. As we started to get directed down the left lanes, I saw that the lanes kept going straight past the other lots where I wanted us to end up - and I started having flashbacks to last year at how awful it was (and started swearing in the car as we got closer to lot 4 lol).

When we finally got dumped off at lot 4, I saw that the grass that we were on actually appeared to be okay - it was green, full and did not appear to have any thorns in it or fire ants like last year. So in the end the camping in lot 4 was okay overall, way better than last year. Though I'll add that closer to the east side of the lot the grass was way worse, I felt bad for those campers, since that is sort of what our group went through last year. Main bad part again of lot 4 this year was that it was a long walk back after the festival (and dusty), and the walk to the showers was also super long - since our spot was literally right next to lot 2A (day parking/companion lot).

So in summary lot 4 could have been worse, but it came out okay. I still missed not being in a major lot that is closer to food/entertainment vendors, and also to be able to walk down main street to see all the small houses, and things like that. You just don't feel completely a part of Coachella if you are in lot 4.
    Last edited by gopher37; 04-22-2014 at 05:12 PM.
    Coachella 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.2, 13.2, 14.2, 15.2
    Outside Lands 10, 11, 13, 14

rolled in at 10am, parked in companion and walked through a empty lot 4 with all my drugs to lot 8 106. didn't even need to scan in.

Quote Originally Posted by djh650 View Post
    rolled in at 10am, parked in companion and walked through a empty lot 4 with all my drugs to lot 8 106. didn't even need to scan in.
    You're totally cool as fuck.