Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

Default Re: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by JackiePapers View Post
    So you "supported" the festival in the inaugural years by sneaking in and not paying for a ticket?

Sweet.
    Right? I love how he added that he slept in a carpet. CARPETS AREN'T FOR SLEEPING SILLY!

Default Re: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

If you don't like it, we got two words for ya...

In my five years attending, this is by far the best experience with the crowd I've had. Not a shitty interaction all weekend really. One could easily chalk that up to good luck though.

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

I guess I'm the douchebag who will push through to get in front of the bros so I can find some like-minded people into the band to stand around.

You used to shell out $400 flat for a weekend pass. Add a layaway plan for those who can't front money and up your capacity by 30k people. What should we expect?

Quote Originally Posted by daft$tar View Post
    coachella has evolved is all - the old days are gone - better or worse im going back for weekend 2
    And with all this being said, so am I.

You won't be missed.

hahhaaa
    Quote Originally Posted by disch0rd View Post
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com
    www.facebook.com/SPX.clothing
    www.myspace.com/spxclothing

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    In my five years attending, this is by far the best experience with the crowd I've had. Not a shitty interaction all weekend really. One could easily chalk that up to good luck though.
    Good luck and/or choosing to see acts that draw sparse, respectful crowds to begin with. You fucking hipster.

11/28: Dixon @ TBA
    12/1: Angel Olsen, Kevin Morby @ GAMH
    12/6: Dream Police @ Brick and Mortar
    12/12: Ancient Methods @ Mercer
    12/13: RRose, Carlos Souffrant @ TBA
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar

I don't understand this gripe at all. Who cares? Let the bros and hos have their fun. How does it really affect you? I can't think of a single negative experience I had all weekend. Everyone was nice and friendly and enjoying their own Coachella trip. How are they really affecting you?

And who gives a shit about how the media covers it? Of course they are going to focus on fashion and celebs, that's what they always do. You really expect them to dive into the full Coachella experience? Impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by lostatlimbo View Post
    I don't understand this gripe at all. Who cares? Let the bros and hos have their fun. How does it really affect you? I can't think of a single negative experience I had all weekend. Everyone was nice and friendly and enjoying their own Coachella trip. How are they really affecting you?

And who gives a shit about how the media covers it? Of course they are going to focus on fashion and celebs, that's what they always do. You really expect them to dive into the full Coachella experience? Impossible.
    You must be one of THEM.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    Ugh, I have such mix feelings. I have been making bitch posts like these for years... but I still manage to a great time at Coachella. It's mostly due to my friends and a few great sets. I'm an electronic music fan, but feel there is hardly any decent good electronic music at the festival anymore.. and the Sahara is fucking annoying.
    This would be my only complaint. You used to be able to catch a TON of QUALITY electronic act/djs from around the world, and the tent would always be half full during the day...nothing you can really do about that though. theres just more people. But now they just seem to grab super ultra mainstream crap artists to appease the younger generation. and stick all the djs with talent in the Yuma. But hey, thats just change. but Whatever, Duck Sauce saved it this year.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Quote Originally Posted by lostatlimbo View Post
    How are they really affecting you?
    You clearly have reading comprehension issues.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Never let the facts get in the way of an opinion, Jen.

I fucking hated the crowd this year, yet this was one of the most entertaining and eventful Coachellas I have ever attended. Very memorable and I had a amazing time.

I have one REAL gripe and that's the VIP at the front of the stages. On the inside of those gates, there are places for the people in there to sit, which is fine, but every set I was at there was at least one snob or asshole that thought it was okay to stand on those and block the view of others. I also saw a ton of people sneak into the VIP in front of the stage and the security was too distracted to notice it most of the time, which caused those sections to become clogged and, in turn, making others think it was fine to stand on those metal seats again, which -- once again -- blocks the view of others.

I completely understand catering to VIP, but not at the expense of other festival goers.

Even the jackasses in the Sahara don't bother me (except for the one I jabbed in the ribs), because that's the nature of the beast. Outside of that tent, I hardly ever have issues with the crowd because I know where to go at each stage / tent in order to avoid the crowd and still get a great view.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

FYI that's not VIP.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    FYI that's not VIP.
    Artist / guest area?

Coachella is still WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!

It's not that Coachella changed...YOU CHANGED

I find myself having a great time every year.

Why people complain about this festival I'll never know. 150 bands...fun people...great atmosphere...if you can't have fun the festival isn't the problem!
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    I fucking hated the crowd this year, yet this was one of the most entertaining and eventful Coachellas I have ever attended. Very memorable and I had a amazing time.
    I'm glad to hear you had an amazing time. I'm curious though, because you were bringing people who were very close to you to the festival for the first time, did you feel like you were on extra alert? I was with two of my best friends and this was their first time. Friday was a little rough for me because I had to weigh how I thought their time was going vs. enjoying my own critical path. Come Saturday, our group adjusted pretty well, but there was that 'on-alert' period at first.

I have one REAL gripe and that's the VIP at the front of the stages. On the inside of those gates, there are places for the people in there to sit, which is fine, but every set I was at there was at least one snob or asshole that thought it was okay to stand on those and block the view of others. I also saw a ton of people sneak into the VIP in front of the stage and the security was too distracted to notice it most of the time, which caused those sections to become clogged and, in turn, making others think it was fine to stand on those metal seats again, which -- once again -- blocks the view of others.
    I agree 100% and this is my biggest gripe about the weekend as well. That and the excess of photographers let in during peak performances. And the step stools they bring to block our views. For example, Lorde played 9 songs and they let the photographers stay in for the first 4. It took them the entirety of the 5th song to clear out the pit and shortly after that they let in the douchebag VIPs who filled up the pit again and had no respect for the people behind them.

You can see the spec of my bald head kneeling down so the shorter people behind me can see, but it really didn't matter since none of us could see over the crowd in the pit.

Oh, and I'll forgive you for probably having no idea who I was when I intoduced myself as we were going seperate ways by the Gobi on Saturday.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Coachella is still WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!

I find myself having a great time every year.

Why people complain about this festival I'll never know. 150 bands...fun people...great atmosphere...if you can't have fun the festival isn't the problem!
    Are you serious?!?!?!??! you made a whole fucking thread compalining about GV for not replacing beady eye ya idiot!
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Artist / guest area?
    that's my understanding yes.

True- that any circumstance can be looked at with a positive attitude. I am, and will try to open my mind a bit more, because this is Coachella, and I am still very fond of it. I guess I just had to rant a bit due to my frustration about tickets selling out within a half hour, super high aftermarket $$, scalpers, etc. I hope everyone has an amazing time tomorrow. I may even go check the "drop". hhaaha. Cheers to another year.
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com
    www.facebook.com/SPX.clothing
    www.myspace.com/spxclothing

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    that's my understanding yes.
    Welp, looks like that area isn't going anywhere then.

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    I think it is fair to say I have changed less in the past 10 years than almost all of the rest of you. I mean, I changed from old to older, that's about it.

What baily says here is true. Coachella has grown larger, that's for sure. Other than that the people are pretty much the same. (clusterfuckchella in 2010 being the exception).

Some truth here. Other than the shitshow of 2010, the YOY crowd differences are negligible (the range between kind of shitty, shitty, and super shitty is pretty narrow). I honestly think these minor sways one way or the other are completely dependent on the lineup. I didn't have a great time this year, and I'm chalking it up to the nearly top-40 lineup not being geared towards my taste. There just wasn't a whole lot I wanted to see and so to me, the crowd seemed more irritating because the bands they were there to see are more irritating. I LOVED the music-fan lineup last year, so not a whole hell of a lot bothered me. I like to think that if the Knife played last year rather than this one, three bros wouldn't have pushed their way in front of us, thrown up, and then talked about whether or not the one that threw up should leave or not because he was sick for 15 minutes.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I never thought the day would come when I agree with anything GuyInTucson said, but here we are. I just accept that the crowds are gonna be how they're gonna be. I still saw 22 amazing artists over the course of 3 days and when all is said and done, that's nothing to complain about.

Of course it helps that a lot of the artists I wanted to see were sparsely populated sets by bands with names like The Replacements and Superchunk.

I wish coachella was more like listening to my ipod in my living room.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

Put the Beer Barn in front of the Mojave and make that the Oldchella stage all weekend.

Oh, and install some nice bathrooms there as well.

Solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.

Welp, looks like that area isn't going anywhere then.
    May also help explain why it tends to be full of douchebags.
    06, 08-14

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    I'm glad to hear you had an amazing time. I'm curious though, because you were bringing people who were very close to you to the festival for the first time, did you feel like you were on extra alert? I was with two of my best friends and this was their first time. Friday was a little rough for me because I had to weigh how I thought their time was going vs. enjoying my own critical path. Come Saturday, our group adjusted pretty well, but there was that 'on-alert' period at first.
    At first, yes, but I think it had more to do with certain acts my wife wanted to see and the crowds they drew. I mean, I actually liked the sets she wanted to watch but I ran into a lot of overly inconsiderate twats. I guess I was lucky over the last few years and had very little issue with this, but unlucky this year. The issue is obviously dependent on the individual's unique experience each year and I just had bad luck. Surprisingly enough, it didn't hinder my experience in the slightest. This will go down as one of my favorite years.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Oh, and I'll forgive you for probably having no idea who I was when I intoduced myself as we were going seperate ways by the Gobi on Saturday.
    I knew who you were. It was just difficult to hear because Ty Segall was really loud.

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

They main complaint seems to be the young crowd. I've mentioned this umpteen times over the years .... The good vibes of the coachella crowd is a significant reason why we travel 8000 miles for a music festival and have not been to one in the UK since '06.

I wouldn't consider attending a gig or festival in the uk with mrs DA to see the bands we love due to the aggressive beered up behaviour of under 25s that attend. The crime rate in cities across Scotland falls significantly the weekend t in the park is held. Delinquents descend on balado not to enjoy the music, just to get competely shit faced. Used to be fun - not since the turn of the century.
    Last edited by Dede' Arneaux; 04-17-2014 at 03:49 PM.
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way