Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Default Re: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    2013 was a bit of a disappointment for me (2012 was my favorite year overall) and I was hoping that that was because of the quality of the the acts rather than the festival losing its luster with me. Thankfully, it is the former. Friday W1 this year was my favorite day ever at Coachella and Sunday was great. Saturday, due to the letdown from Saturday, some tiredness, not enough me-friendly acts and a lot of wind, was not as great, but that's Coachella. The thing is, it's not just the music. It's the setting, the crowd, the setting aside of a weekend, the year-long build-up, spending a weekend with my son doing something we both love, all of that. I can't see this not being a part of my life for the foreseeable future.
    while i agree, this is what people on the board complain about when there's no one specific person being complained about. very much an old man yells at cloud to get off his lawn situation in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Default Re: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

I like it.

I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

You didn't like Saturday? FU, grisch.

Things like this are either going to make this problem worse, or a whole lot better. I'm betting on worse. I would imagine niche festivals will grow, but any across the board type festivals will suffer majorly.
    Last edited by stinkbutt; 05-14-2014 at 04:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

It's been bugging me for weeks, since this thread was started: The thread title is egregiously, annoyingly passive-aggressive. "Some say for the worse". Not "I say it's worse", not "These people say it's worse". No. "Some" say it's worse. Fucking coward bullshit.

Go fuck yourself, OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

In some ways it's worse, in other ways it's better. If you have lots of money to spend, it's better.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    As I haven't been since '09, if you guys had to factor in flying in from across the country instead of being within driving distance, would you still lock in each year? Genuinely curious. As much as part of me has moved on, Coachella still gets some exclusive stuff and I miss seeing most of you.
    I wouldn't go back every year. Maybe once every few years or so, but there have been a few years recently (mainly 2012 and 2013) where it wouldn't have been worth it for me. If I could afford the expenses every year, however, I probably would.

Most of the changes they have made (sans lineup) have been for the better. Since you haven't been since 2009 I think there would be enough you are unfamiliar with (Car Camping, Camping activities, the terrace, craft beer gardens, Heineken House, Yuma Tent, the Do Lab's location and size) for it to feel somewhat new again. I personally loved the lineup this year and 2014 ended up being one of my most memorable and favorite years out of the 8 years I have attended. I was extremely concerned about how the whole experience would go for me given the fact that it was my wife's first year going, but it was awesome.

I have grown to accept what type of crowd it brings in and from what all you guys say about other festivals (whether it's DEMF, Glasto, dB, Primavera, etc.), it seems like running into large intolerable groups of people is inevidible at any festival. Crowd experience has been subjective the last few years anyway. This year's crowd was insufferably bad but I somehow managed to ignore it. If you can deal with how much the festival has grown in both attendance and space (as well as the lineup), I suggest making the trip back.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    You didn't like Saturday? FU, grisch.
    Well, I enjoyed meeting you guys
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    2013 was a bit of a disappointment for me (2012 was my favorite year overall)
    2013 had:

Blur, the Stone Roses, Grinderman, Johnny Marr, Jello Biafra, New Order, the Descendents, Violent Femmes, Franz Ferdinand, Spiritualized, Dropkick Murphys, the Selecter, NIck Cave, Dead Can Dance, Social Distortion, Dinosaur Jr., OMD, the Three O'Clock......and that's just Old-Chella!

Are you sure you meant 2013, Grich?

I agree with you totally..the festival isnt the same as when I first experienced it! Now you have everybody wanting to go to Coachella and people scalping tickets way high on craiglist and such..its gone completely mainstream and the crowd is different too! Most people dont know whos performing and give bad vibes off! I hope it will return to its true state in the future but for now I guess we have to live partying with bros lol

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Quote Originally Posted by Dede' Arneaux View Post
    They main complaint seems to be the young crowd. I've mentioned this umpteen times over the years .... The good vibes of the coachella crowd is a significant reason why we travel 8000 miles for a music festival and have not been to one in the UK since '06.

I wouldn't consider attending a gig or festival in the uk with mrs DA to see the bands we love due to the aggressive beered up behaviour of under 25s that attend. The crime rate in cities across Scotland falls significantly the weekend t in the park is held. Delinquents descend on balado not to enjoy the music, just to get competely shit faced. Used to be fun - not since the turn of the century.
    Radio 1 Big Weekend finished in Glasgow tonight - here's the aftermath. Did I mention I enjoy Coachella because there's no litter?

litter.jpg
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

Nowadays people attend Coachella just to say they've been. The crowd is definitely filled with a lot if bad apples.

Quote Originally Posted by Dede' Arneaux View Post
    Radio 1 Big Weekend finished in Glasgow tonight - here's the aftermath. Did I mention I enjoy Coachella because there's no litter?
    Wow.

Coachella used to be pretty bad. In 2002 it was HORRIBLE. They had actually removed all of the trash cans because they were afraid of terrorist attacks.

An honest discussion about how algunz has changed. Some say for the worse.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I think that's unanimous.

It's also ubiquitous.

Wow.

Coachella used to be pretty bad. In 2002 it was HORRIBLE. They had actually removed all of the trash cans because they were afraid of terrorist attacks.
    In 2002, you can't blame them.
    Tycho @ Granada Theatre 9/22 | Hercules & Love Affair live @ Club Dada 9/22 | Sam Smith @ House of Blues Dallas 10/9 | Hardkiss @ Dallas 10/10 | SBTRKT @ House of Blues Dallas 10/12 | Catz n Dogz @ It'll Do 11/1 | Death From Above 1979 @ Granada Theater 11/8 | Eats Everything @ Kingdom Austin 11/13 | Sasha @ It'll Do Dallas 11/22 | Caribou @ Austin 11/23

The polo fields have generally been pretty clean during the Obama era.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i make it a point to thank people i see changing trash bags #BeTheChange
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by M.Romo View Post
    Nowadays people attend Coachella just to say they've been. The crowd is definitely filled with a lot if bad apples.
    Nowadays?
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    In 2002, you can't blame them.
    I didn't, but it was a real fucking mess.

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Wow.

Glastonbury - the aftermath. Leave the farm - leave no trace.....hmmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DXNSL_1tmY
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

I have been attending Coachella for past 2 years. I have gone back and looked at all the lineups from every year and there was always something from each year that i liked. I grew up listening to the Pixies, Jesus Lizard, SuperChunk, Ministry, Violent Femmes, NIN, etc and i love going and hearing new music that is on the up and up and sounds good like: Mona, WHite Lies, Future Islands, and so on.I love MUsic and there will always be something for me at Coachella regardless of change, and even if i do not know any bands, i will research them and find some that i like. How awesome was it to have Motorhead rockin out? That now opens the door for bands like Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and so on. There may not be artists with the same names or labels as there were 10 years ago, however there is still a lot of great music to see without watching someone push a button, however you just have to dig a little to find it.

Overcrowding is the biggest downfall. Watching shows from far away or feeling like you can be crushed is the number one reason coachella is not what it once was. Small fests are now winning at this . Go to some small fests and I think you'll be surprised at how much better it makes the experience. If I'm going to a monster fest like Coachella it's only to get to watch shows at a discount. If I'm not getting a discount compared to what I'd get to see at standard venues it's honestly not really worth it anymore. I once believed in that festival "magic" and bringing us music fanatics was worth it. Now the average attendee doesn't even know anything besides the radio bands or the EDC DJs. Hanging out with these crowds is not enjoyable. Adding craft beer is great , but being in a nice venue with a full bar and superior sound watching a complete set from your favorite band is definitely a better show. Coachella is trying to hang on to its roots , but the almighty dollar has taken control. It has sold its soul for money , and corporations never go back from making more money. It WAS once better and that's just a fact. Adding 40000 idiots doesn't come without a cost. It is still a great event , it just isn't a 10/10 experience anymore. We used to like the Sahara . How many really go into the Yuma? Mainstage? Most of us are watching shows that wouldn't cost a lot. Is the 600 700 1000 were dropping really worth it. We could buy up to 50 shows with that cash.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyMellow View Post
    Overcrowding is the biggest downfall. Watching shows from far away or feeling like you can be crushed is the number one reason coachella is not what it once was. Small fests are now winning at this . Go to some small fests and I think you'll be surprised at how much better it makes the experience. If I'm going to a monster fest like Coachella it's only to get to watch shows at a discount. If I'm not getting a discount compared to what I'd get to see at standard venues it's honestly not really worth it anymore. I once believed in that festival "magic" and bringing us music fanatics was worth it. Now the average attendee doesn't even know anything besides the radio bands or the EDC DJs. Hanging out with these crowds is not enjoyable. Adding craft beer is great , but being in a nice venue with a full bar and superior sound watching a complete set from your favorite band is definitely a better show. Coachella is trying to hang on to its roots , but the almighty dollar has taken control. It has sold its soul for money , and corporations never go back from making more money. It WAS once better and that's just a fact. Adding 40000 idiots doesn't come without a cost. It is still a great event , it just isn't a 10/10 experience anymore. We used to like the Sahara . How many really go into the Yuma? Mainstage? Most of us are watching shows that wouldn't cost a lot. Is the 600 700 1000 were dropping really worth it. We could buy up to 50 shows with that cash.
    Why the fuck would you expect coachella to stay the same from the beginning. If you have a business, you always want it to grow and make more money. You think they'll just let 40k people in and be happy breaking even every year without sponsors. Money drives capitalism and were to immature as human beings to move past that ideology right now. Sure, I believe people should work to provide goods to other people without needing money as compensation. But people haven't achieved the kind of spirituality to understand material good shouldn't drive our means to advance as humans.