Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

Default Re: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

I enjoyed his year, but it seems to lose a little luster each year. The crowds are just getting too big for me. And this is the first year I actually felt old at Coachella. I've been 8 years straight, and as hard as it is to break the streak, I will not be going next year. The lineups will always be good, but I don't feel that there's as much for me as there used to be. And everyone I want to see at Coachella ends up playing in the area within a few weeks or months anyway. Perhaps I'll try again in 2016 if I get too bummed about missing next year, but I think it's time to move on.
    For your health

Default Re: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

As I haven't been since '09, if you guys had to factor in flying in from across the country instead of being within driving distance, would you still lock in each year? Genuinely curious. As much as part of me has moved on, Coachella still gets some exclusive stuff and I miss seeing most of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

BRING JOACHIM GARRAUD BACK TO THE POLO FIELDS!
    He's performing TWO SETS at Lollapalooza.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    As I haven't been since '09, if you guys had to factor in flying in from across the country instead of being within driving distance, would you still lock in each year? Genuinely curious. As much as part of me has moved on, Coachella still gets some exclusive stuff and I miss seeing most of you.
    Coachella is something special and unique, but it's swayed a bit from my comfort zone.

THANKS FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I still fly across the country for it, but it seems after each year I wonder why. This year was much better than last year IMO. I do think what keeps me coming back is the friends I have made and how plush the festival is. There is no other festival where I feel like I'm on vacation. The festival feels like a country club, and with the new drinks and whatnot I feel like I'm at a resort for the most part. Obviously the Mohave/Sahara bathrooms do not factor in to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Honestly, if I didn't get the access I do there is no way I would go, even being driving distance. No way id be spending thousands of dollars for a weekend on the fields.

No. We lock in because it's a three hour drive and we get a great deal on our rental house. Were it a flying situation....probably not.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I think if the lineup is compelling enough for you, you should try and make it. I would love it if you made it to Coachella, and honestly the Yuma improvement this year (size wise, not sound wise), the do lab, the terrace, the could work as filler time if there weren't sets you needed to see. And, the Dirty Epic campground parties on Thurs and Sun have gotten better each year (this year, full visual set up with a projector and really sweet designs), not to mention the fun of partying with everyone both at the campsite and the festival.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Probably not. I'm sinking around $1200-1500 each year living 2 hours from Indio (me plus one). I would rather spend that plus the additional $800+ on international travel.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by patricktofte View Post
    As others have said, I think part of the problem for the people that go year after year is that it becomes less special each time you go. This was my fifth year and I feel it was the first time that I wasn't as excited to be there as in years past. I still had an amazing time and saw some great bands, but there is nothing like the first few times you go when everything feels new and you're only noticing everything you love about it and not going in expecting to be annoyed by stuff like assholes or the fact that there are DJs at the festival. If all they booked were reunion tours and indie bands, it wouldn't be as great of a festival as it is. One of the best aspects of Coachella in my opinion is you get the opportunity to see different styles of music that you would never normally see or go out of your way to pay for.

There have always been bros running around the festival as long as I've been going, and it is something that is unavoidable. I find it pretty rare that anyone is rude or obnoxious towards you in a malicious way no matter who the person is or what music they are there for. As for the people who say bands are going to start avoiding reuniting at Coachella, I just flat out disagree. One of the biggest reasons bands want to reunite there is the fact that they can play for a large audience of not only their original fans, but also potentially reach a younger demographic. They are obviously not going to get every single band that reunites to do their first show there because that is just impossible, however the amount of media coverage, money, exposure, etc. that they get from playing a festival like Coachella will always draw in bands such as the Replacements or whoever else you want to name. This will probably be my last time going, at least for a few years, but it has nothing to do with the crowd or the acts they are booking. Maybe its just time to try out a new festival!
    This was year 7 for me, and I'm still having fun. I wouldn't think of missing a Coachella going forward at this point. I think the secret is to change things up a little bit each time. For example, if you go with the same people, stay at the same hotel, stay together all day, and never deviate from former plans you are locking yourself into failure. If the only difference is the bands you see each year, you are selling yourself short, imo.

Each year my core group of friends and I change things up. This year I hosted a gal from England and a guy from Paraguay at my home (I live 2 miles from the grounds). I also added an old friend from college to the mix. I didn't know what to expect, and that is the point. Keep it fresh. This year was the best by far, and I'm already looking for things to change up next year. Sure, there are always douchebags at the fest pushing in front of you, and talking during sets that you want to hear, but I'm not sure how that is going to ever change. There are always going to be young kids attending on mommy and daddy's dime, so respect hasn't properly developed yet. That's just part of it, and not something you can worry about.

I'm starting to post more in this forum, and am actually looking forward to meeting/running into some of you in the future. I ran into kroqken this year, and hope I eventually run into the legends TomAZ and guedita. Time to go, this post is already too damn long!

Coachella group 2014
    I arrived in America's airport with clothings, US dollars, and a jar of gypsy tears to protect me from AIDS.

I stopped reading after the first ten words.

blah blah blah get off my yard
    '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14... '15!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    Sounds like a mashup of Benny Benassi, Spice Girls, and feces. I was really hoping for a Paris Hilton DJ set :/
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Just wait. I bet at the Sigma Chi chapter meeting this Sunday the brothers unanimously vote to do Sahara Semiformal at Weekend 2 2015.

2014 wasn't my favorite Coachella (it felt way too crowded, though I know it wasn't as bad as the 2010 disaster), but we've been going for many I always have enough fun to lock-in tickets during the presale. I love the grounds, the lineup is usually great, and I feel like Goldenvoice is way better at running a festival than any others (big and small) I've ever attended.

We usually wait to book our flights until a few months before the festival. If by some remote chance the lineup is just terrible, tickets have become a hot enough commodity that buying them early really isn't any kind of risk.

Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    I think many of us just have attended too many fests / shows . It loses it's magic like anything in life . You start noticing the flaws in things . Marry the most beautiful person in the world and you'll find flaws eventually . The fact is it's a great festival and the complaints are more about us music addicts , not the fest . A headlining set from a band in a proper venue , with less people and better sound is just more fun after a while than massives. It's still a great way to pack in a bunch of concerts for a good value . We just don't care for the crowds . Appreciate it for what it is , a discounted massive amount concerts in great weather and mostly very nice people.
    This is probably the best summary of my thoughts too, along with brando4n82's post. I still look forward to Coachella because for me the preparation for the festival is almost as fun as the festival itself (listening to 20 min of each band on youtube to see who to check out, and discovering new bands). Hearing The Replacements or Afghan Whigs for the first time in doing my research was awesome (I wasn't familiar with either of them) - among many other new finds that are surprisingly awesome. Coachella continues to keep adding more quantity and quality to the lineup - this year again set a record in total bands played at the festival (beating last year). The organizers also gradually iron out kinks that went wrong in prior years. So unless you try really hard to not have a good time, the festival generally should be as good or better than prior years.

I will say though that seems like I talk to fewer and fewer people that are there to see similar bands as I am. And the amount of people that know few names on the lineup seems to have gradually started increasing over time too. I carry around a 5 page spreadsheet of band reviews in case I need to make a decision on what band to see next (and mainly to make notes on the bands that I just saw), and when other people see me take our that spreadsheet I usually get quizzical looks or confused faces. Including "what music site do you work for?" lol. Though it does sometimes start conversations with those around me while waiting for sets, including an entire group of 8 while waiting for AFI. So simply having information that brings up conversation with others at Coachella is a positive to me - it starts conversations with others that might not be started otherwise.

Friday this year was my favorite single day of Coachella ever - just so many good acts that I saw (ZZ Ward, Replacements, Ellie Goulding, AFI). Though Sat and Sun were just good to okay - so 2013 is still my favorite Coachella ever, followed by 2010, 2007, and then 2014. I still look forward to Coachella every year for the people that I go with, and the bands that we see. Hopefully I'm still able to go there with a crew in the future.
    Last edited by gopher37; 05-08-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    Coachella 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.2, 13.2, 14.2, 15.2
    Outside Lands 10, 11, 13, 14

Bah Coachella never loses its magic.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

did anyone else feel like beck was pissed during weekend 2?
    i felt it, especially when he spoke about the playing the first coachella and how its wild to be here 15 years later.
    and instead of saying "look at how kewl its gotten!"
    he instead says, "here it is" in a very lackluster way. i feel Beck taking notice to the fact that coachella has indeed changed. Changed from what to what is not so clear though. I think with a majority of fresh 18 year olds loving every drop and repetetive song edm has to offer, combined with the folks who actually identify with the artists of the edm genre, Coachella is now in a push/pull situation. In order to stay afloat, Coachella needs to continue to book more edm acts and place them on stages outside of the sahara tent (Calvin Harris), while at the same time book acts with the indie draw that coachella was halfway based on. Looking through past lineups, its clear and evident EDM is a big part of current popular music. Whats not so clear and evident is why folks who enjoy the EDM movement almost unknowingly are one of the worst facets of the festival, the music is stigmatized by bros who have no respect for those around them.

to put it simply. EDM=more tickets for coachella; More tickets=higher density of bros; Higher density of bros=less polished acts/more buttonpushers.

I have respect for all music, but when the music culture promotes laxadaiscal disrespect, I get angry.

So fuck you to every neighboor who bumps Headhunterz til 3am, to every neighboor who were sad they missed "Paft Dunk", to every male or female who shows up at this extremely well varied music festival and only watches sets in the Sahara (or Yuma). YOU ARE THE PLAGUE. You have the Sahara at Coachella, then you have edc. Please take those fist pumps and shove them deep into your babes glittery anus at 160 BPM.

but ill be back next year

Quote Originally Posted by dillycup View Post
    Please take those fist pumps and shove them deep into your babes glittery anus at 160 BPM.
    Glittery anus is what keeps me coming back!

As a LONG time fan of electronic music, I have to say that I liked it better when it was not mainstream because the people were nicer. I can't go into the Sahara tent. What is the point of dance music if you don't have any room to dance? It is just a giant sonic washing machine that is overloaded. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Build, Drop, Repeat. All of the cool elements about a rave crowd are gone. Where is the Peace, Love, Unity and RESPECT ?? There is no fucking respect in the Sahara.

I am super happy that they added the Yuma tent. That cool element is back that went missing from the Sahara. You have room to dance, and people say things like "Excuse me". In the Yuma, I felt like it was OK to demand respect. If some asshole tried to push by me while I was dancing, I threw an elbow. Sorry bro, don't fuck up my vibe and invade my space. Head outside if you want to push and shove.

So, yeah, I think that Coachella is changing - but in some ways, it has added better elements. The Yuma tent. The CRAFT BEER. Etc. Do I care about a commercialized crowd? Not really. I welcome the opportunity to turn these ignorant stiffs into better people by showing them how it's done. Maybe then they can take the lessons they learned on the polo field and apply them to life on the outside. Maybe one day they will graduate to the Yuma tent.
    They heard me singing and they told me to STOP.

I only noticed 2 douchebro's all day Saturday weekend 2. They walked by me during QOTSA at the main stage beer garden. I chuckled at their tans/muscles/fohawks and quickly realized they were the first bro's I had seen all day. I told my wife on the shuttle back to the hotel that I only saw 2 bro's all day and she was in disbelief at my statement. Maybe I have a bro ignore function in my brain.

I fly in from Canada and this was my 4th time (1st was 2006). I'll go again because there are tons of groups that play Coachella that never play anywhere near me. It's expensive with flight/accomodations etc, but I can gorge on music for an entire weekend. However... since my first time in '06, the crowds are often too huge (2010 and this year) and the lineup seems to be less special (the old two-day weekends seemed to have just as many good acts but more conflicts). There have been some improvements of late -- the craft beer garden and the expanded Terrace section help ease the crowd pressure and offer more places to chill. Free frozen yogurt tent this year helped battle the heat.

As for crowds, there are definitely more bros and others there because of the festival's reputation. But you can still find a lot of really cool music geeks. Striking up convos in the craft beer garden during a long lull Sunday was great (and the beer selection is amazing!)
    Ban flags. Ban totems. Stop blocking my view of the stage.

It's time to have an honest discussion about whether SPX_Clothing is a giant racist or not.

Quote Originally Posted by SPX_clothing View Post
    Dear Paul T. Let's go easy on all the Jay Z and Kenaon West crap this year eh?

We are hoping for Coachella to stay true to it's Goldenvoice roots.
    Keep it Indie.. Keep it British. Keep it Punk and keep it electronic.
    Enough hip-hop! eNuff Said...

Cheers,

:] PK
    http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...KEEP-IT-INDIE!

What does "keep it British" exactly mean?

Is Coachella some famous destination for "British" music?

Your clothing company logo, with the lion "coat of arms", worries me.

You seem to be obsessed with maintaining some "status-quo" at the festival and I'm beginning to believe that it must be racially motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by Packer View Post
    It's time to have an honest discussion about whether SPX_Clothing is a giant racist or not.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...KEEP-IT-INDIE!

What does "keep it British" exactly mean?

Is Coachella some famous destination for "British" music?

Your clothing company logo, with the lion "coat of arms", worries me.

You seem to be obsessed with maintaining some "status-quo" at the festival and I'm beginning to believe that it must be racially motivated.
    Racially motivated? hahahahaha
    Hernan Cattaneo b2b Nick Warren and Guy J @ Kingdom Austin 8/31 | Lone. @ Empire Control Room Austin 9/11 | Tycho @ Granada Theatre 9/22 | Sam Smith @ House of Blues Dallas 10/9 | SBTRKT @ House of Blues Dallas 10/12 | Catz n Dogz @ It'll Do 11/1 | Death From Above 1979 @ Granada Theater 11/8 | Eats Everything @ Kingdom Austin 11/13

Coachella is still my favorite musical event. There will always be douches there. There also will be bands there I don't like, including most rappers and ALL EDM DJs. However, Coachella books some amazing musical talent each and every year, and that is why I will continue to attend both weekends for the foreseeable future. I also meet some cool people every year, and also run into old friends and acquaintances. The only other festivals that come close are European festivals like Primevera Sound or Glastonbutry. Other American festivals are often decent, like Sasquatch, Governor's Ball, Pitchfork, FYF, etc. However, Coachella has an amazing setting, a great overall vibe and I can afford to travel there consistently. If Coachella misses booking a band I want to see that year, they may book them the following year, such as the Stone Roses or Pulp. Otherwise, I live in Los Angeles, and will try to see bands on there own local tours, which are often booked by Goldenvoice. As for the fashion show, I ignore it because I am there for the music. I don't mind the criticism if it is constructive, because I know Goldenvoice executives, including Paul Tollett read the message board, and may use this criticism to make needed improvements. But stupid haters who don't know what they are talking about, that's another story.
    Last edited by kroqken; 05-11-2014 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chbludevil View Post
    I only noticed 2 douchebro's all day Saturday weekend 2. They walked by me during QOTSA at the main stage beer garden. I chuckled at their tans/muscles/fohawks and quickly realized they were the first bro's I had seen all day. I told my wife on the shuttle back to the hotel that I only saw 2 bro's all day and she was in disbelief at my statement. Maybe I have a bro ignore function in my brain.
    I am never surprised to see douches at a QOTSA show.

Watch it, Ken.

Damm, am I as fat as that guy?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I had had a Magical time at this years show. But, this was my first coachella. From Pre Partying at my Campsite in a RV Park 7 Miles away. Taking the Shuttle, Pool Parties at the RV resort, dancing to Outcast, MGMT, Lord, Skrillex, and the entire day on Sunday was epic. I think i will come back, if it makes financial since to spend that money.

The owner of the RV Park i was tent camping in is so energetic, she got the whole Campground in the pool to make a Video for Pherrell Williams to see.

^ The Coachella of Today ^
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

2013 was a bit of a disappointment for me (2012 was my favorite year overall) and I was hoping that that was because of the quality of the the acts rather than the festival losing its luster with me. Thankfully, it is the former. Friday W1 this year was my favorite day ever at Coachella and Sunday was great. Saturday, due to the letdown from Saturday, some tiredness, not enough me-friendly acts and a lot of wind, was not as great, but that's Coachella. The thing is, it's not just the music. It's the setting, the crowd, the setting aside of a weekend, the year-long build-up, spending a weekend with my son doing something we both love, all of that. I can't see this not being a part of my life for the foreseeable future.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.