Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

Default Re: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

I stopped reading after he said he sneaked in. Fuck you.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Default Re: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

As others have said, I think part of the problem for the people that go year after year is that it becomes less special each time you go. This was my fifth year and I feel it was the first time that I wasn't as excited to be there as in years past. I still had an amazing time and saw some great bands, but there is nothing like the first few times you go when everything feels new and you're only noticing everything you love about it and not going in expecting to be annoyed by stuff like assholes or the fact that there are DJs at the festival. If all they booked were reunion tours and indie bands, it wouldn't be as great of a festival as it is. One of the best aspects of Coachella in my opinion is you get the opportunity to see different styles of music that you would never normally see or go out of your way to pay for.

There have always been bros running around the festival as long as I've been going, and it is something that is unavoidable. I find it pretty rare that anyone is rude or obnoxious towards you in a malicious way no matter who the person is or what music they are there for. As for the people who say bands are going to start avoiding reuniting at Coachella, I just flat out disagree. One of the biggest reasons bands want to reunite there is the fact that they can play for a large audience of not only their original fans, but also potentially reach a younger demographic. They are obviously not going to get every single band that reunites to do their first show there because that is just impossible, however the amount of media coverage, money, exposure, etc. that they get from playing a festival like Coachella will always draw in bands such as the Replacements or whoever else you want to name. This will probably be my last time going, at least for a few years, but it has nothing to do with the crowd or the acts they are booking. Maybe its just time to try out a new festival!

I'm glad that Coachella gets "less special" every time people go. That gives me hope that some of the tools who just go to be seen there will get bored and stop coming, freeing up space for those of us who still go for the music. I still enjoy Coachella just as much as I did my first year (hell, MORE than I did my first year) because I'm there for the music first and foremost, and the music is still amazing.

the problem is that the bored tools just get replaced by other tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

If your going solely for the music, you won't win. If you go to be with friends while leaving your work and worries behind for the weekend, then your doing it right.

Patrick, do go to other festivals. There are hundred of them around the world that will provide different experiences. Variety is good. good luck

Well, there was a group of men at Pet Shop Boys who were stroking each other's dicks during the concert....

Quote Originally Posted by slickfootanna View Post
    Well, there was a group of men at Pet Shop Boys who were stroking each other's dicks during the concert....
    For one, you're at a stage where the Pet Shop Boys are playing, which their demographic of fans is primarily gay men, what do you expect? I was there Weekend 1 for their set as a straight male and I was too busy getting into their set than to give a damn what others were doing around me.
    Catz n Dogz @ It'll Do 11/1 | Death From Above 1979 @ Granada Theater 11/8 | MSTRKRFT After-party 11/8 | Eats Everything @ Kingdom Austin 11/13 | Sasha @ It'll Do Dallas 11/22 | Caribou @ The Mohawk Austin 11/23

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    For one, you're at a stage where the Pet Shop Boys are playing, which their demographic of fans is primarily gay men, what do you expect? I was there Weekend 1 for their set as a straight male and I was too busy getting into their set than to give a damn what others were doing around me.
    Oh I didn't care what they were doing. It was very obvious to everyone around them and I wasn't surprised just thought I'd throw it out there.

This year I noticed a lot more people camping through acts I wanted to see for more mainstream acts later. I was getting some pretty weird looks for dancing/singing along to NMH and Sleigh Bells (followed by Lana Del Rey and Pharrell - respectively), though I am a pretty bad dancer. One girl just looked petrified during the entire Sleigh Bells set. Last year it seemed like these acts weren't really on the main stage or outdoor stage, and this was therefore less of a problem.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Honestly, here is my two cents. I am not a coachella lifer, I started going in 2007, and have gone every year since (excluding 2011, when I went to bonnaroo) and the festival has most definitely changed, radically. I dont care about the other genres of music, Coachella has always had a mix of styles and genres and thats what makes it great. What I dislike is the crowd that coachella is now drawing and being marketed to.

I cant ever remember, pre 2011, seeing ANYONE coming in to coachella wearing jeans and dress shirts. I cant remember people talking about fashion and trying to impress each other. Last year, I wore basketball shorts and a t shirt (as I always do) because its hot as fuck. I ran into a guy dancing at the mainstage, 100 plus degrees, wearing black jeans, a black dress shirt and a black vest. Really? You are willing to sweat your balls off and risk your health to look good in the desert? Thats what Coachella is about now?

In 2008, I bought my tickets three weeks before the festival. Now, if you dont buy in presale, its like you have to be on the internet the second they go on sale to even have a chance. Friends of mine who never heard of coachella before and generally arent music fans are now posting on facebook daily about coachella this and coachella that, but they arent posting about the music. They are posting about the party. Coachella has become a place for the LA elite, rich kids, and bros to spend a bunch of money and be able to get fucked up for a weekend without their parents around.

In 2013 I asked almost everyone I met who they were excited to see and whatnot, and 90% of the time people didnt even know the headliners or undercard, they were just there because they had a big group of people that all came from xyz place. Coachella (or the crowd rather) is moving away from people who care about the music and the art and moving towards a giant crowd of partiers who just want a beat to grind their teeth to as they roll for the third straight day. EDM isnt inherently a shit genre, but it is bringing in a really shit crowd that doesnt have that Coachella feel. They arent polite, they arent there for the music, they want to treat it like a party at ASU. Thats what wrong with Coachella now. Its not a festival, its a party. I will be looking for another festival next year, the vibe and crowd at Coachella now has really turned me off. And its going to echo in the artist choices as well, if I am a huge classic band why reunite at coachella? Why reunite at a place where people dont know any artists who arent DJ's or Daft Punk? I wouldnt be surprised to see Coachella become an EDC type festival, and it makes my heart sad.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me. I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me. Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags.

Some people might have dressed up because of the super not mandatory Arcade Fire dress code. I brought in my floor length, 1971 vintage, polyester pink formal dress for Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by drewdrewdrew View Post
    Honestly, here is my two cents. ...
    I cant ever remember, ...
    In 2008, ...
    In 2013 ...
    I think that was 10 cents

My first Coachella was 2007. I skipped 2008 to go to Fuji Rock and have been back to Coachella every year since, including both weekends in 2012 and 2014. While I haven’t been going since the beginning, I have been going long enough to notice the changes.

In years past, I've read peoples complaints about the bros but I really didn't have any bad experiences until this year. This year they were like a swarm of bees around me (and I didn’t spend much time in the Sahara either). At one point, one of them tried to put me on his shoulders. What the fuck? I'm a 35 year old male. I don’t want to be on some dudes shoulders.

I don't mind people having a good time and occasionally bumping into you. That's part of watching any live show but don't pull any shit like that. I also noticed male and females attendees fist pumping to Arcade Fire like they were part of the cast of Jersey Shore. So this is the crowd Coachella attracts now.

This year my sister emailed me after the 1st weekend and said that compared to previous years, she couldn't find many reviews of the actual performances and that most of the news coverage was about who was there and what people were wearing. Goldenvoice has not control over what people wear but I assume they give tickets to celebrities, or there reps, which in turn helps get them even more media coverage, even if the media coverage is not music related. I guess maybe that is how the entertainment industry works.

For the most part, I do not blame GV for the bro/pop culture festival it has become. GV has no control over what type of person buys tickets to Coachella. I understand they do control who plays but at this point it does not matter. People are going to attend regardless. GV has stated that they pay attention to their customers when they consider who to book but the question is who is their customer base? The majority of them are not die hard music fans anymore. So should GV book indie bands to maintain integrity or book artist that non-music lovers (the majority of the attendees) want to hear?

When the lineup was announced I was not that excited but after listening to everyone on the bill, I thought that a decent number of the artists may be good live. Unfortunately I saw lot of disappointing performances this year. Maybe it was just a week year or maybe my music sensibilities and Coachella's don't mesh anymore. Don't get me wrong I did see some great performances and some pleasant surprises but in years past I could say that 90% of the bands I saw were great. This year it was maybe 50% at best. I understand that is a good percentage but it's still a steep fall from my pervious experiences.

When I left the festival Sunday night, it was the first time that I didn’t feel like I had to go to Coachella next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I think that was 10 cents
    Its cool how you ignored the second sentence of the entire post where I said I am not a coachella lifer and have gone since 2007. Good for you.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me. I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me. Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.

Not sure how the second sentence has anything to do with what Hatinisbad said there, drewdrewdrew.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Not sure how the second sentence has anything to do with what Hatinisbad said there, drewdrewdrew.
    I was under the impression he was saying I havent been to coachella long enough/enough times to give my two cents. But if that is not what happened, I apologize and am puzzled by the meaning. Carry on.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldorrr View Post
    This year I noticed a lot more people camping through acts I wanted to see for more mainstream acts later. I was getting some pretty weird looks for dancing/singing along to NMH and Sleigh Bells (followed by Lana Del Rey and Pharrell - respectively), though I am a pretty bad dancer. One girl just looked petrified during the entire Sleigh Bells set. Last year it seemed like these acts weren't really on the main stage or outdoor stage, and this was therefore less of a problem.
    Can anybody offer a comparison to past years when Kanye/Strokes fans invaded Duran Duran's set or a bunch of RATM fans over took the Crowded House audience?

I know other years with McCartney/Dre/Madonna/Daft/Radiohead/Yorke fans were camped out by the stage minutes after the gates opened.

(pegging Neal Finn in the head with a shoe or water bottle at the 0:25 mark)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
    I'm glad that Coachella gets "less special" every time people go. That gives me hope that some of the tools who just go to be seen there will get bored and stop coming, freeing up space for those of us who still go for the music. I still enjoy Coachella just as much as I did my first year (hell, MORE than I did my first year) because I'm there for the music first and foremost, and the music is still amazing.
    toooooootally agree. coachella never gets old for me. every year my obsession and love for the festival is renewed, despite all the douchbags and anything else that might hinder my enjoyment. Every year I go (this last one was my 6th) I feel like they iron out a few more kinks and make it that much closer to the best festival in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    toooooootally agree. coachella never gets old for me. every year my obsession and love for the festival is renewed, despite all the douchbags and anything else that might hinder my enjoyment. Every year I go (this last one was my 6th) I feel like they iron out a few more kinks and make it that much closer to the best festival in the world.
    Year 6 for me, too. *GUEDITA-ODSFISTBUMP* I had such a good time this year that I am actually open to my Coachella-4-LYF boyfriend's suggestion that we go to both weekends next year.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

I've already changed my mind. I'll probably go back. Unless the lineup is total shit.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I've already changed my mind. I'll probably go back. Unless the lineup is total shit.
    I have faith that in 2015 the lineup pendulum will swing back away from the top 40/radio stuff that it was peppered with this year. Or at least, there will be an even stronger undercard. The downside will be that people will have finally heard about the beer barn, cus craft beer is only getting more popular, and it will be even more crowded. Then in 2016 they will expand the beer barn.

I have faith that in 2015 the lineup pendulum will swing back away from the top 40/radio stuff that it was peppered with this year. Or at least, there will be an even stronger undercard. The downside will be that people will have finally heard about the beer barn, cus craft beer is only getting more popular, and it will be even more crowded. Then in 2016 they will expand the beer barn.
    If only every beer garden was a beer barn.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Year 6 for me, too. *GUEDITA-ODSFISTBUMP* I had such a good time this year that I am actually open to my Coachella-4-LYF boyfriend's suggestion that we go to both weekends next year.
    wooooo

we legit had a fistbump in the crowd this year. sorry i didn't stick around to hang out

definitely do two weekends... it's honestly the best way. you see so much fucking music it's ridiculous. full sets of everything and still time to chill and see all the art/get drunk and party.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    If only every beer garden was a beer barn.
    Yeah, but then you'd be trying to watch an act while enjoying a craft beer and would get increasingly irritated at all of the fuckfaces there just to drink and yap. Which is the dilemma of watching acts from the beer gardens as it is now. I wish they could some how have whatever's playing in the yuma broadcast through speakers out through the beer garden. But I guess the thumping bass from the yuma would obfuscate actually being able to hear that anyway.

Make it happen Guedi.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Quote Originally Posted by drewdrewdrew View Post
    I was under the impression he was saying I havent been to coachella long enough/enough times to give my two cents. But if that is not what happened, I apologize and am puzzled by the meaning. Carry on.
    No disrespect intended drewdrewdrew. It was a quip about the length of the post. I'd expect 2 cents to be shorter . However, if I have to explain it, is it really a quip?

I agree. That was the 2012-2013 swing. Let's hope it happens again.
    10/21 - Melvins + Le Butcherettes - GAMH
    11/1 - Hard Day of the Dead - Fairplex
    12/12 - Cat Stevens - Masonic Center
    4/17-4/19 - Coachella weekend 2

Quote Originally Posted by clleadz View Post
    I agree. That was the 2012-2013 swing. Let's hope it happens again.
    That 2013 undercard was amazing. Naturally everyone bitched about the headliners, but all the rock nerds were pretty excited with everything aside from RHCP. One of my marketing friends swears that Goldenvoice alternates years on purpose in order to keep various people chomping at the bit to buy tickets.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Lurker

It's obvious that the turning point for things going to crap was when Perry Farrell stopped performing at the fest.

Quote Originally Posted by rustypouch View Post
    It's obvious that the turning point for things going to crap was when Perry Farrell stopped performing at the fest.
    BRING JOACHIM GARRAUD BACK TO THE POLO FIELDS!