Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

Default Re: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dede' Arneaux View Post

I wouldn't consider attending a gig or festival in the uk with mrs DA to see the bands we love due to the aggressive beered up behaviour of the majority of under 25s that attend.
    From everything I've heard about UK festivalers, and from some of the people I know who learned how to party from the brits, it sounds....rough.

12/16: A Winged Victory for the Sullen @ The Independent
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar
    12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

Default Re: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

This true, my friends from the UK came over in 2012 and were overjoyed that 2 days into the festival no one had thrown urine on them. I thought they were joking but apparently this quite common at a lot of UK festivals. People piss in their empty beer cups and then chuck them into the crowd. That's something worth complaining about.

down the fuckin' Volley with Tommy, playing pool.I'm playing like Paul-Fuckin'-Newman by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    From everything I've heard about UK festivalers, and from some of the people I know who learned how to party from the brits, it sounds....rough.
    Just updated my post re crime rate.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    This true, my friends from the UK came over in 2012 and were overjoyed that 2 days into the festival no one had thrown urine on them. I thought they were joking but apparently this quite common at a lot of UK festivals. People piss in their empty beer cups and then chuck them into the crowd. That's something worth complaining about.
    All too common I'm afraid
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

Shit even at Lovebox?
    Catz n Dogz @ It'll Do 11/1 | Death From Above 1979 @ Granada Theater 11/8 | MSTRKRFT After-party 11/8 | Eats Everything @ Kingdom Austin 11/13 | Sasha @ It'll Do Dallas 11/22 | Caribou @ The Mohawk Austin 11/23

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    You guys know there are Bros in the grocery store and at the gas station and everywhere in the world. there is shit music on the radio and everywhere you turn. so theres gonna be some of that at Coachella. there always is. This is coming from an 11 year veteran. People need to get the fuck over this whole, Everyone that goes to coachella now isnt like me and doesnt share my exact taste in music. Who gives a fuck if there are people at coachella that dress in neon tank tops and kanye glasses and have abs? There was SOOO much amazing music and so much awesome art and SOOO many cool people this year. My camping neighbors were awesome and i rocked out with a ton of strangers to some great music.

People love to complain about Coachella. Especially the ones that have never been. I am over trying to convert people. This year really was a testament of faith being kept in Coachella. I wanted to sell my tickets this year when I saw the lineup. Definitely one of the weaker lineups I have initially seen on the poster in the past 11 years. But oh my god, I had one of the best times ever this year and saw SOO much Amazing music. If you didnt have a good time this year, you were clearly in the wrong places at the wrong times hanging with the wrong crowd.
    great post. I agree with 100%. Every year is unique and I wasn't so happy with the lineup this year. Almost considered passing on this one....but my god, This must of been the most fun year ever!!!!! holy shit, wonderful people, great weather, the bands kicked turned out to kick ass. Thanks GV, you guys did a great job this year.

Good luck and/or choosing to see acts that draw sparse, respectful crowds to begin with. You fucking hipster.
    Sparse crowds all dai.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    Put the Beer Barn in front of the Mojave and make that the Oldchella stage all weekend.
    I was thinking about how rad it would be to move the craft beer area somewhere over there, or at least have a 2nd one.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    People piss in their empty beer cups and then chuck them into the crowd. That's something worth complaining about.
    Or getting pissed about.

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

Come on, that piss joke is even funnier given the UK thing. Keep up guys.

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

Yeah but like...thats just an asshole. the worlds full of them.
    Co-sign

Music is my passion, Coachella is my pleasure

RAPE STOVE

white power?!

I feel the need to get this off my chest.
    me too. your original post you put in the artist line up section. this is not at all related to that. so i moved it. one thing that has not changed at all, is people starting threads in topics that have nothing to do with the topic. so stay calm!
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by brogore View Post
    Define who are the "bros" and "docuhebags" at the festival .

Also , just because someone at different taste in music and are in the Sahara shouldn't classify someone as a instant "bro"
    defensive

I'm torn on the EDM thing.

On one hand, I can't stand the music. Actually, I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to music, I just feel insulted that so many people think that a dude pushing buttons and waving his hands around is a musician. Shit, pay me $5 and you can come to my backyard. I'll play whatever music you want on my iPod (I have a pretty nice speaker system too), and I'll wave my hands all you want. I'll even give you free water. It's the same shit, but cheaper, than what you'll get from an EDM "producer."

On the other hand...well, I was also insulted by Calvin Harris being up on the main stage before Beck / Arcade Fire, and I was about ready to snap when the sweaty bro in front of me took off his shirt and insisted in waving it around frantically in an EDM-induced frenzy, with no regard to the people around him who were continuously getting smacked by it.

However, I only went to see Calvin Harris because I wanted a good spot for the closers, and was pleasantly surprised - nay, shocked - to find 95% of the audience retreating back to their tent at the end of the his set. I made it all the way to the rail without issue, and realized that I could have gone to see some actual music, come over to the main stage after the EDM shitfest was over, and still gotten pretty close to the rail, if not on it. This is dramatically different from past years, and part of me is sad about it...but the other part of me says, shit, if I can get up front for the big acts I really want to see without having to camp out at the main stage all day, that's not such a bad thing, right?
    Last edited by walkunafraid; 04-21-2014 at 01:27 PM.

^ it's true that for this year in particular the variety on the main made it pretty easy to close after certain acts.

Same in the mojave. After the shit that was RL Grime we walked right up for Pixies. Probably a better system than if they organised stages by type of act. UK festivals like Reading do that and it sucks.

And the urine thing is all too true. And crowd riots, Coachella is a different world compared to UK festivals
    11/28 - Dixon - Secret
    12/5 - Gareth Emery - SLS Vegas
    12/6 - Heart - House of Blues, Las Vegas
    12/12 - Cat Stevens - Masonic Center
    4/17-4/19 - Coachella weekend 2

I read this post before I left for weekend 2, expecting the worst for the EDM bro atmosphere. It wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting it to be, making me think weekend one just tends to attract more assholes than weekend two does. Nevertheless, they were there in some form doing their typical bro activities such as chugging Modelo's, not wearing shirts and yelling at their friends because they were going to be late for Martin Garrix.

Despite their shitty manners and inability to clean up after themselves, they never once made me feel uncomfortable. I never saw an EDM bro yell at other people or made the festival feel run down by their low IQ's. They stayed in the Sahara for the most part like pigs in a pen, with a couple occasionally getting out to see other shows just because there weren't enough drops happening at the time.

In fact, having the EDM crowd bros in other parts of the festival, such as everyone who was at the
    Main Stage for Calvin Harris, made it a sight to see and in a lot of ways made me feel better about myself. It's just reassurance that I'm certainly an asshole, but not that kind of asshole. The EDM crowd generally interact with only one another and any female who isn't wearing pants in a 30 foot radius or within their drug-induced peripheral vision. Yes, the music wasn't great and having it on the main stage is annoying, but it wasn't unbearable.

I'd have to say that the bro atmosphere will likely continue and the festival will attract the assholes like it always does. But the assholes are certainly in their own world when they arrive. I've camped next to a few that are absolutely awful with their perception of time drinking beers and blasting Skrillex at 4 in the morning, but this is becoming increasingly common. It no longer phases me.

The plural of Modelo does not have an apostrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    At this point I will end up going to an overseas festival like Snowbombing or Fuji instead.
    Snowbombing looks amazing. Like a winter / ice version of Burning Man.

OP: Personally - I think maybe the Festival has changed. But also - so have you. You have changed / gotten older.
    You're now interacting with a different generation / peer group with different values / tastes as they have, and you're blaming it on the bro factor, but it's deeper than that.

It's like a drug or youth - the first time you do it will always be magical, amazing, but every time after that will give you diminishing returns.
    It'll lose its appeal - its mystery.

Maybe try seeing something new overseas or go regionally somewhere else to recharge the eyes / batteries and witness a different Point of View.

Not criticizing here just offering my opinion / psychoanalysis.

The plural of Modelo does not have an apostrophe.
    My apologies, this is all typed on a fucking cell phone. Modelo Especial*

This would be my only complaint. You used to be able to catch a TON of QUALITY electronic act/djs from around the world, and the tent would always be half full during the day...nothing you can really do about that though. theres just more people. But now they just seem to grab super ultra mainstream crap artists to appease the younger generation. and stick all the djs with talent in the Yuma. But hey, thats just change. but Whatever, Duck Sauce saved it this year.
    This is a legitimate complaint. All the DJs with actual talent were in Yuma.
    I actually hated Yuma - it gives me the worst vibes / made me sick from overheating.

Wish they would take the YUMA DJs and put them in Sahara or some other tent with an actual breeze, and stick duck sauce / martin garrix into YUMA.
    Last edited by chadmims; 04-21-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Add "DJ" to the victim list of unnecessary apostrophes in the plural form.

NO SINGULAR NOUN IS SAFE

NO SINGULAR NOUN IS SAFE
    Edited !

What has changed is the fact that weekend one had at least another 50% more wristbands on that field than the previous year. Why am I going paying for a multi stage multi act festival if I can't hop around and see the acts I want to see? I'm not. Last coachella after 9 years. I can't imagine that they'll reduce ticket sales next year like they did in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    My apologies, this is all typed on a fucking cell phone. Modelo Especial*
    Quote Originally Posted by chadmims View Post
    Edited !
    You're forgiven, friends.

Look at how mad Caras getting.

We might's just make's her crack's.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

I have been to two Euro fests and in both cases they had urinals attached to fences out in the open and people were just pissing on fences and there are 15 and 16 year olds but imagine a 15 or 16 year old but instead of being candy ravers they have been drinking since noon two days ago and they started drinking the second their shift at the factory was over and they're puking and pissing and fucking and they do not give a FUCK about selfies or safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfmYminD View Post
    What has changed is the fact that weekend one had at least another 50% more wristbands on that field than the previous year.
    Bumblebee?

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfmYminD View Post
    I can't imagine that they'll reduce ticket sales next year like they did in 2011.

No..seriously...Bumblebee?
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I have been to two Euro fests and in both cases they had urinals attached to fences out in the open and people were just pissing on fences and there are 15 and 16 year olds but imagine a 15 or 16 year old but instead of being candy ravers they have been drinking since noon two days ago and they started drinking the second their shift at the factory was over and they're puking and pissing and fucking and they do not give a FUCK about selfies or safety.
    Yep.

FTR, I also used my pee-mate and pissed against a fence with boys. People just piss and shit everywhere there. Everyone is fucking drunk off their balls. Still a better crowd than this W1. Didn't see one person watching a set through their camera or taking selfies.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Are there girl bros? There was a girl who kept clearing a circle in the front middle of a crowded Sahara. The first time I thought, this is cool, she's probably a good dancer; nope. I moved away from that mess and enjoyed the rest of the set.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    In my five years attending, this is by far the best experience with the crowd I've had. Not a shitty interaction all weekend really. One could easily chalk that up to good luck though.
    I chalk it up to the craft beer