Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

Default An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

So kids, ladies and gents. I feel sort of like an old folgie writing this little ditty, but I feel the need to get this off my chest. I used to brag about going to Coachella. I used to promote it to my friends, strangers on planes, on vacation, my neighborhood bar, everywhere I went. I wanted to see this thing get the praise that it deserved. Now back in 99' hardly any media knew about "Coachella" it was off the radar, almost secret. Oh how things have changed! I have attended every Coachella since the very start of it. Now granted the 1st 5 or 6 I snuck in through the old Lemon Grove and hopped a couple fences. One time I even rolled up in a carpet in vip and actually spent the night there, woke up the next day and started the party all over again. Things were obviously a lot different back then. The excitement and pride I had back then for this gathering in the Desert was really unmatched with any concert I have ever been to! Legendary acts like Siouxsie & the Banchees, Chemical Brothers, The Orb, Oasis, Prodigy (anyone remember when Prodigy played Coachella the 1st time?) Fock! amazing! Anyway, Dandy Warhols, Charlatans UK, Primal Scream, -Ziq, Jesus and Marrychain, Radiohead, Iggy Pop, Echo & The Bunnymen, BRMC, etc, etc, It felt like they made this concert for me! And people like me. Not far off the mark- The organizers of this incredible happening in the Desert grew up pretty close to me, and shared the experience of the old southern California Punk Rock and Mod scene. Paul T went to the same College as I did. (Cal Poly Pomona). And we even share a few mutual friends. so it's no wonder that I was so into this fantastic event which seemed to come out of nowhere! Coachella- the talk of legend.

What was something iconic has changed. Let's admit it. Glory days gone? Some may say so, but I am not totally against "change" in itself. Everything changes it seems. Does anything really ever stay the same? Unfortunately not. Even Southern California has changed so much by growth, and new development to contain the masses, so has this very special concert. The question is why? $$$ has to be the main driving factor of coarse. But for who? Is GV even run by GV anymore? or is It AEG? Anyway the point is. Why dilute something that really was doing so well on it's own indie based style? Why include music for the giant masses? Isn't that what those other festivals are for? Starting in about 2004 shit started to really change here, and then last year when GV made a strong statement (back to it's roots) by headlining The legendary Stone Roses, Then all these Coachella "newbies" went tweeting and wining "who the fuck are the Stone Roses? That said it all right there." WTF? EMBARRASSING!

When I heard all these fucking nerds crying about it, clueless, and so mindless about music; Then it was very clear Coachella may have lost it's "cool'. I really hate to say this about my beloved Coachella- but somehow it's turned into more of a frat-boy party than the important music festival it used to be. When GV booked The Stone Roses they were making a statement. "We are still cool". We are still Indie". And We still have the class to book important Acts that helped build the Indie and Alternative Music Scene. But, Was it too little, too late? It seems like the Coachella I once raved about has "sold out" to the masses that drive ticket sales up,up, and away! Yes they accomplished not 1, but 2 sold out weekends back to back. But at what cost to their credibility? We all know hip-hop and "edm" brings the masses-Great I suppose for those who are getting really rich from this, but what about the rest of us? The people who made Coachella what it is today? This started out as an Indie music Festival. Probably the most musically important one in North America. But now it's been reduced to hordes of teen Spring breakers gone wild? Outta the house and away from their parents to "get fucked up" and follow one another to a giant frat party? Now- I have loved real electronic music for over 25 years. But seeing some dude pushing the play button and screaming into the mic "Coachella" make some Motherfuckin' noise!" as some pop song maxes out and peaks to "dubstep" repeat, and repeat again. No wonder they are all fucked up on ex and K. It's gotten all too silly, and way too predictable.

Everyone seems to be a sheep out there now. Looking the same, bro'd out with no shirts on, drunk and drugged following the glow heard to the next big party. Now the media covers it like it's some tabloid show. " Who's wearing what at Coachella" Justin Beiber", star sightings at.....Blah blah blah. So nerdy! Makes me wanna say just go the fuck home! I'm bummed that I scoff at something that I used to promote to friends and strangers alike. But it was so different then. Do "all good things" really "come to an end"? Damn- What has happened to this place? Sometimes I don't even recognize it anymore. But one thing is for sure. The masses are asses! And someone is making a shitload of money off of them!
    Last edited by SPX_clothing; 04-16-2014 at 03:05 PM.
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com
    www.facebook.com/SPX.clothing
    www.myspace.com/spxclothing

Default Re: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

In B4 shitstorm
    DRUGS ON KIDS

Lurker

Default Re: An honest discussion about how Coachella has changed. Some say for the worse.

i agree with you sadly....been attending since 99 (but skipped the last two years)....how sad is it when you google coachella news, the majority of articles that pop up are about selena gomez and the kardashians! I used to lament about all the hipsters dominating coachella....what i wouldn't give to have that over the current state of bros. despite that, i am looking forward to attending this weekend and seeing enough bands to justify the price. it is lame, that the fest was expanded to two weekends to ease over crowding, only to have the festival capacity balloon from 60 thousand to 100 thousand.

Complaining "Coachella's changed" is so 2010. get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I remember people saying how Coachella had changed for the worse after 2012 and then they booked a less EDM heavy top line lineup in 2013 with Blur and The Stone Roses sharing a line as headliners. Who knows what will happen in 2015. Based on Paul T's background and his track record with this festival I am confident that Coachella will continue to have plenty for me every year.

You guys know there are Bros in the grocery store and at the gas station and everywhere in the world. there is shit music on the radio and everywhere you turn. so theres gonna be some of that at Coachella. there always is. This is coming from an 11 year veteran. People need to get the fuck over this whole, Everyone that goes to coachella now isnt like me and doesnt share my exact taste in music. Who gives a fuck if there are people at coachella that dress in neon tank tops and kanye glasses and have abs? There was SOOO much amazing music and so much awesome art and SOOO many cool people this year. My camping neighbors were awesome and i rocked out with a ton of strangers to some great music.

People love to complain about Coachella. Especially the ones that have never been. I am over trying to convert people. This year really was a testament of faith being kept in Coachella. I wanted to sell my tickets this year when I saw the lineup. Definitely one of the weaker lineups I have initially seen on the poster in the past 11 years. But oh my god, I had one of the best times ever this year and saw SOO much Amazing music. If you didnt have a good time this year, you were clearly in the wrong places at the wrong times hanging with the wrong crowd.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

^ Well, I guess "I'm in with the outcrowd" then...
    Last edited by SPX_clothing; 04-16-2014 at 03:50 PM.
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com
    www.facebook.com/SPX.clothing
    www.myspace.com/spxclothing

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Complaining "Coachella's changed" is so 2010. get over it.
    Apparently the festival was ruined long before I started attending. 2006 was the first year I went and I remember seeing MADONNA KILLED COACHELLA teeshirts all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Apparently the festival was ruined long before I started attending. 2006 was the first year I went and I remember seeing MADONNA KILLED COACHELLA teeshirts all over the place.
    LOL exactly. This is a GREAT example. Thanks bobert
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    You guys know there are Bros in the grocery store and at the gas station and everywhere in the world. there is shit music on the radio and everywhere you turn. so theres gonna be some of that at Coachella. there always is. This is coming from an 11 year veteran. People need to get the fuck over this whole, Everyone that goes to coachella now isnt like me and doesnt share my exact taste in music. Who gives a fuck if there are people at coachella that dress in neon tank tops and kanye glasses and have abs? There was SOOO much amazing music and so much awesome art and SOOO many cool people this year. My camping neighbors were awesome and i rocked out with a ton of strangers to some great music.
    the problem is these people are a huge distraction at many of the stages with their "WOOOOO PARTAAAAY LOOK AT MEEEEEEEE!!!!" attitude and are quite often antagonistic. look, i don't care if you don't know who the pixies are of if you only know the chorus of "hey ya!". i DO care when you are being a fucking asshole to everyone around you by completely disregarding the fact that there is a band on stage and people are trying to watch them.
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post

People love to complain about Coachella. Especially the ones that have never been. I am over trying to convert people. This year really was a testament of faith being kept in Coachella. I wanted to sell my tickets this year when I saw the lineup. Definitely one of the weaker lineups I have initially seen on the poster in the past 11 years. But oh my god, I had one of the best times ever this year and saw SOO much Amazing music. If you didnt have a good time this year, you were clearly in the wrong places at the wrong times hanging with the wrong crowd.

I like your style

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    the problem is these people are a huge distraction at many of the stages with their "WOOOOO PARTAAAAY LOOK AT MEEEEEEEE!!!!" attitude and are quite often antagonistic. look, i don't care if you don't know who the pixies are of if you only know the chorus of "hey ya!". i DO care when you are being a fucking asshole to everyone around you by completely disregarding the fact that there is a band on stage and people are trying to watch them.
    Yeah but like...thats just an asshole. the worlds full of them.

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    I remember people saying how Coachella had changed for the worse after 2012 and then they booked a less EDM heavy top line lineup in 2013 with Blur and The Stone Roses sharing a line as headliners.
    And the bros and other douchebags were still there in full force.

Define who are the "bros" and "docuhebags" at the festival .

Also , just because someone at different taste in music and are in the Sahara shouldn't classify someone as a instant "bro"

if when we bump into each other, you dont meet my excuse me with an excuse me you are a douche mag.
    If you push through people to get ahead of them when their clearly isnt room, you are a douche bag.
    If you are selfish, self centered, dont watch out for others and are so self absorbed that you basically shit on other people for your own enjoyment, you are a douche bag.

Oh and douche bags, for some reason LOVE LOVE LOVE the drop.

I can't believe (but am so so glad) that you old schoolers still exist and are still going to Coachella. With my first year being 2006, I still feel like I was late to discovering Coachella (they had just released their first DVD), but over the past few years, about 95% of the people I'd run into were first timers and were most excited about seeing some DJ.

In spite of that, I still had not expected to feel the amount of dread I now have about going Weekend 2 this year, after witnessing how the media & social media have taken a shit on a festival I had once loved with all my heart. Maybe it's good to go in with poor expectations just so that I can be pleasantly surprised this weekend, but how sad.

And to everyone who asks why the presence of assholes should affect our own experience, you do have a point when the assholes are just a small minority. However, I feel that in the coming years, it'll be impossible to avoid being surrounded by assholes talking over your favorite band during their set. Coachella is about to (or has already) become no different from your typical city festival. Sure, one can still have a great time at Coachella, but that intangible aspect that had made it magical, that vibe I felt my first year, has died.
    Last edited by eimie; 04-16-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (1&2), 13 (2), 14 (2)
    Lolla 03, 06, 07, 08
    Outside Lands 08, 10, 11, 12
    Nerd Project: www.coacheller.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phunkevil View Post
    And the bros and other douchebags were still there in full force.
    Any music festival in America the size of Coachella in this day and age is going to have it's share of bros and douchebags.

Quote Originally Posted by SPX_clothing View Post
    So kids, ladies and gents. I feel sort of like an old folgie writing this little ditty, but I feel the need to get this off my chest. I used to brag about going to Coachella.
    Your signature...... Wow. Why do so many people think the apostrophe goes after the numbers? It makes zero sense

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    My first coachella was 2004. These people were there then too. the only difference now is that it's bigger and there's more of everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Honestly, I didn't think the Bros were as much of an issue as they have been the past few years.

My main complaint is a lot of the audiences I was at, namely at the Main and Outdoor stages, were just plain boring and not into the music.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

I'd take a fest full of bros over a fest full of boardies.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

I'm going to bump this thread in 15 years when today's bros are future bros complaining about how there's no place at coachella for big drops anymore.

At this point I will end up going to an overseas festival like Snowbombing or Fuji instead.
    Catz n Dogz @ It'll Do 11/1 | Death From Above 1979 @ Granada Theater 11/8 | MSTRKRFT After-party 11/8 | Eats Everything @ Kingdom Austin 11/13 | Sasha @ It'll Do Dallas 11/22 | Caribou @ The Mohawk Austin 11/23

^ Plenty of smaller US festivals that are great. They're a nice breath of fresh air after attending major festivals for so many years.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Thee Oh Sees - 11/11 - Hotel Vegas
    Caribou - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    My first coachella was 2004. These people were there then too. the only difference now is that it's bigger and there's more of everything.
    i was there too. yes there were some but not even close to as many as there are now. also there wasn't as much of a "EVERYTHING IS ABOUT ME!" culture as there is now. the closest thing i can compare the old coachella crowd to is the crowd at FYF. people are generally polite, friendly, sincerely excited about the music and for the most part not pretentious or trying to put on a fashion show. hate to say it but i'm looking forward to that fest more than coachella this year. i've been doing double weekends since they started them but i think next year i'll just do one weekend.

yes there are always going to be a few assholes in the crowd, but in the last five years their numbers have been increasing at a disproportionally high rate.
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Well put, OP
    Coachella - 2001, 2002, 2004, 2012, 2013 W1, 2014 W1
    ShowBAMS.com

Quote Originally Posted by thagorillaz View Post
    I'd take a fest full of bros over a fest full of boardies.
    Trollolol! Seriosuly.

I feel sorry for anyone that just does not know how to have fun at this festival. People focus on the stupidest shit

I think this whole thread can be summed up with, "I'm getting old and I don't want things to ever change. Time shouldn't exist."
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

There's already a thread for this. It revolves around bashing the Sahara kids. Go to it, and complain. You'll feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Fuck "themule"

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    ^ Plenty of smaller US festivals that are great. They're a nice breath of fresh air after attending major festivals for so many years.
    I'm sure they are, but since Snowbombing is around the same time as Coachella, I'm sure there'll be no yank bros present over there haha
    Catz n Dogz @ It'll Do 11/1 | Death From Above 1979 @ Granada Theater 11/8 | MSTRKRFT After-party 11/8 | Eats Everything @ Kingdom Austin 11/13 | Sasha @ It'll Do Dallas 11/22 | Caribou @ The Mohawk Austin 11/23