Thread: Just a few but pertinent Coachella Gripes

Cool Just a few but pertinent Coachella Gripes

I love Coachella, and to complain about it seems futile and unappreciative, but it must be done. Just venting here…

1. Our camping group showed up early to get a spot in lot 8, but for SOME REASON they were diverging the cars into two lines. The right lane went toward lot 8 and the left lane went way back into bumfuck lot 4. At this point lot 8 was only half full, but we ended up as far away as possible. And this is what we get for showing up early? The whole line of cars near us were pretty pissed off as well. I really need an explanation of this from Coachella. This ruined a lot of our Coachella experience being so far away. Why wasn't lot 8 filled up first, and then cars diverted to other lots?

2. Heneiken house. Bring back the dome with the roof visuals. The house was TOO BRIGHT. People retreat to the heineken for some darkness and air conditioning, BOTH seemed to be missing this year. The vibe was better with the dome shape.

Major props to the YUMA TENT. They got it 100% right this year. Just the right enough amount of space. PERFECT sound system. KEPT IT DARK with just the right amount of lighting. No annoying LED boards and lights, thats what the Sahara is for….and I can only handle the Sahara for 20 minutes before the overblown visuals gets out of control. Please, please keep it nice and dark in the coming years. The warehouse vibe is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by jyagz; 04-16-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Default Re: Just a few but pertinent Coachella Gripes

The camping thing pissed me off too. We got there much, much earlier than last year and still got diverted to the back corner for Lot 7 (same place we were in 2013 when we go there several hours later) even though there was still a ton of space in Lot 10. Why don't they just fill up from front to back?

upon entry for the early birds stay to the right

we tried getting into the right lane but the traffic directing guy stopped us
    8/24 - NIN + Soundgarden - Shoreline
    9/27 - Simian Mobile Disco - Mezzanine
    10/3-10/5 - Hardly Strictly Bluegrass - GGP
    10/4 - DJ Shadow + Cut Chemist - Mezzanine
    10/6 - Kasabian + Bo Ningen - Fox
    10/21 - Melvins + Le Butcherettes - GAMH
    11/1 - Erasure - Fox
    4/17-4/19 - Coachella weekend 2

Quote Originally Posted by clleadz View Post
    we tried getting into the right lane but the traffic directing guy stopped us
    you let yourself be stopped. these people don't care what you do, so long as what you do doesn't get them fired from their menial part-time, 8-days-a-year job. their sphere of influence on you barely extends past the reach of their arm.

that said you shouldn't be dicks to them either.

also, regarding Lot 4 vs Lot 8. with the way they're using the lots right now, they have to fill the furthest lot (from the security entrance) first, otherwise you'd have a full Lot 8 with a bunch of cars sitting in a line for Lot 4, passing right by the food court/pavilion area. the fact that Lot 4 is also one of the furthest locations from the festival entrance is just shitty planning on Goldenvoice's part. I still don't understand why Lot 5, which is closer to the festival entrance, is used for shuttles and parking and not camping like it used to be. You could fill Lot 5 first (like you used to do) and have everyone in there be relatively close to the entrance, and then fill Lot 8.

but whatever, they change shit every year for no reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

From what I saw, lot 4 was going off this year. They fixed the shit hole that it was last year and it was super grassy. Plus everyone that I was trying to meet up with in lot 8, where I was camped, was heading to lot 4 for Dirty Epic or some other camp that had some good shit happening. Might have been the furthest, but it was definitely the most fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

im confused where anyone gets the idea that arriving at a certain time gets a certain lot. what am i missing?
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    what am i missing?
    deluded self entitlement.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

These are the same people who have their whole day at Disneyland "ruined" because ONE attraction is down...

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    From what I saw, lot 4 was going off this year. They fixed the shit hole that it was last year and it was super grassy. Plus everyone that I was trying to meet up with in lot 8, where I was camped, was heading to lot 4 for Dirty Epic or some other camp that had some good shit happening. Might have been the furthest, but it was definitely the most fun.
    Yep, Lot 4 was the clear winner this year. Lot 8 was full of meh grass and the dirty houses that people were banging in.

Speaking of those houses, if you are going to try to get it on in one, maybe pick a pretty one. I walked in on two people getting down and dirty in the Slab City replica which was the most disgusting one. At least use the candy shack!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Not entitlement. Every year you learn something and try to apply it to the following year to improve the experience, but then sometimes they change things up again and it backfires/doesn't pan out.

Wouldn't even really be so much of an issue if they didn't gate off parts of lots in the stupidest ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jyagz View Post
    2. Heneiken house. Bring back the dome with the roof visuals. The house was TOO BRIGHT. People retreat to the heineken for some darkness and air conditioning, BOTH seemed to be missing this year. The vibe was better with the dome shape.
    Hmm I actually enjoyed the Heiniken house this year. Lots of room to chill out, no really long lines for beer. Yeah maybe not great visuals but still probably one of the best stages last weekend, especially on Saturday when we were trying to get out of the dust storm for a little while. If you wanted darkness and AC then probably the KROQ tent would have best suited you....
    2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015

Upcoming Shows:

08/30 Mount Kimbe @ The Wick\
    09/12 Darkside @ Brooklyn Mosaic Temple
    10/03 Odesza @ MHOW
    10/15 Flying Lotus @ T5
    10/16 Chet Faker @ Webster Hall
    10/17 Minus The Bear @ Gramercy Theater
    10/29 Brother Ali @ The Knitting Factory
    10/30 togetherPangea @ Bowery Ballroom
    11/08 The Polish Ambassador @ Irving Plaza

ya i feel you on the lot 8 gripe, we got their a little later than planned thursday and were put into lot 7. 3 hours later our friends were put into lot 8. it didn't take away from our weekend but still wtf ya know?

and yes getting into the venue at 12 and getting hosed down at the dew lab then going into yuma felt great!!! i was a big fan of yuma this year. definitely beats sitting around at camp with the sun beating down on you.

The Do Lab was wonderful. Great place to cool off, plus the hottest girls.

I miss the record store artist signings. They were around all the Coachellas attended, 2002 until 2013, both the Virgin Megastore, and Zia Records. Sorry it was not done this year.

lets carry a totem for a 3 person group

im confused where anyone gets the idea that arriving at a certain time gets a certain lot. what am i missing?
    People on this board constantly complain about other people at the festival pushing their way to the front. It usually goes, "If you wanted to be close, you should have showed up earlier." It's not exactly unreasonable to expect that getting to Coachella early for car camping will get you a great spot. You don't really think that it's "confus[ing]" that someone would think that arriving early is better, do you?

And what happens when we assume?

it's more that people assume arriving early means you'll be placed closest to the festival entrance. in years previous when camping was contained to fewer lots, this seemed to be a pretty assured thing. it makes sense in that arriving early to a GA show (or a Coachella performance) means you'll likely be able to be closer to the artist.

can you explain why Lot 5 is used as shuttle/parking space instead of Lot 4? seems like you'd want campers closer to the entrance not farther away.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    it's more that people assume arriving early means you'll be placed closest to the festival entrance. in years previous when camping was contained to fewer lots, this seemed to be a pretty assured thing. it makes sense in that arriving early to a GA show (or a Coachella performance) means you'll likely be able to be closer to the artist.

can you explain why Lot 5 is used as shuttle/parking space instead of Lot 4? seems like you'd want campers closer to the entrance not farther away.
    campers are already close to the entrance, much closer to the entrance than those who come in with a shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I miss the record store artist signings. They were around all the Coachellas attended, 2002 until 2013, both the Virgin Megastore, and Zia Records. Sorry it was not done this year.
    I agree