Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Win Butler is a twat

Default Re: Win Butler is a twat

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Did you see them in 2007? that was a great show.
    Yep, managed to get to the front rail for that one, it was awesome. I do miss hearing some of those Neon Bible tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    People who spent all weekend last year and all weekend this year waiting for Daft Punk to make an appearance and then bitching when they didn't are the real twats here. Cheers to Win for calling them out.

That said, I preferred AF's 2011 set if only because it felt so joyous. I re-watch that on Youtube every now and then, and Win's got such a huge smile on his face the whole time. It didn't feel like he was having as much fun this year as their previous sets. Still great of course, but nothing tops 2011.
    Exactly. While this year's set was good, it just seemed like a solid Arcade Fire show. 2011 was something on another level. It wasn't just the ball drop and all of that, it was the overall joy and energy that made that set so good. The intro was amazing with the Can You Dig it! clip from The Warriors and then blasting into Month of May.

2007 was also glorious, I too miss hearing a lot of Neon Bible material

2007 was my favorite set from them. 2011 was special too, but man that 2007 set...
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

The problem with the 2011 set was The Suburbs.

the 2007 set was amazing though.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The problem with the 2011 set was The Suburbs.

the 2007 set was amazing though.

Yeah I can't believe they actually played City With No Children, one of their worst songs. Other than that I didn't mind the other Suburbs songs they played. I dig Rococo, Sprawl, Ready to Start, and Month of May. Still though.. hearing Black Mirror, Ocean of Noise, The Well and the Lighthouse are songs I deeply miss.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I would find Win less of a twat if I knew that he was snorting tons and tons of blow before walking on stage in that makeup.
    I just wanted to bring attention back to this comment.

Made. My. Day.

2007 forever, the only reason people loved 2011 was because of the creator's project balloon drop
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1
    -----
    http://www.last.fm/user/djoz187

8.23 & 8.24 FYF Fest
    10.21-25 CMJ 2014

I'm surprised there's always so much hate on here for The Suburbs...

2005 forever. FOR EV ERRRRRRRRRRR

The Suburbs is where they may have crossed the line into over-earnestness, which is saying a lot, however I don't truly dislike the album. The thing about the 2007 set is that it was, in my memory, one of the first tangible examples of them truly starting an ascent beyond indie circles and hitting the big time, and that was just very pleasant to see in action. It's a rare treat nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arthurbang View Post
    It's my favorite of the 4
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

I remember an older (mid-50's?) Australian guy during the 2007 set saying to me "I like them a lot. Reminds me of U2.", to which my undeveloped 19-year old hipster mind scoffed. Cut to 2014 and Win butler is in garish face makeup talking about being the new 60's and how we must fight for world issues, and suddenly the jokes on 19 year old me.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

About a month ago I watched LCD's documentary from their last show, and when AF came out they were all wearing black & white to comply with the dress code LCD requested.

EXCEPT WIN, that twat! He wore plaid. Why does he always have to do shit like this?!

I guess he took LCD's dress code as "super not mandatory" too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by djoz187 View Post
    2007 forever, the only reason people loved 2011 was because of the creator's project balloon drop

Not exactly.

hey guys, Win can't help it if it's in his nature to yolo all the way to the bank. Players gotta play.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Quote Originally Posted by arthurbang View Post
    I tried. I really did. I loved Funeral and Neon Bible and was all excited and.. well I tried. I really did. I don't know about over-earnestness so much as over-preachiness. Why do we need some rock singer talking to us about urban planning and design? We've already got Bono.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Anyone win tickets to see them at The Roxy tonight?

Why do we need some rock singer talking to us about urban planning and design? We've already got Bono.
    You didn't like the delivery(music).

Damn I must be the only one who didn't care for the 2007 set. It wasn't bad but I just didn't think it was anything close to the 2011 set. Then again I really am not a fan of Neon Bible so that probably has a lot to do with it also. I've tried and tried but I just can't get into that album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

2011 was overproduced for a band that became famous for its spontaneity. So was ZooTv but ZooTv was a true reinvention.

Loved 2011's set but this year was just average. I don't know what he was trying to say when introing the suburbs.. something about growing up in the suburbs and now if you love someone you think about it???? He was reaching for words. Then he bonked Beck on the face taking off the pope mask and Beck did not look like he wanted to be there (doesn't seem like the prop/theatrical type). And making the crowd chant We Exist too many damn times. Everyone around me was chanting just because he said so not because they wanted to or were into it. When they were walking around in the crowd with the band at the end was the best part, minus almost being crushed to death by people running to get a good spot like lunatics.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    Loved 2011's set but this year was just average. I don't know what he was trying to say when introing the suburbs.. something about growing up in the suburbs and now if you love someone you think about it???? He was reaching for words. Then he bonked Beck on the face taking off the pope mask and Beck did not look like he wanted to be there (doesn't seem like the prop/theatrical type). And making the crowd chant We Exist too many damn times. Everyone around me was chanting just because he said so not because they wanted to or were into it. When they were walking around in the crowd with the band at the end was the best part, minus almost being crushed to death by people running to get a good spot like lunatics.
    First off, if 2011 was way better than this one, I feel like even more of an idiot for missing it because this set was top-shelf.

As for Win, I heard him interviewed on NPR a few months ago and he was stammering and saying "like" and "you know" every fifth word. I get a sense that he's a bit shy and awkward and not terribly glib. You watch the video from '11 and they are wide-eyed in wonderment over the size of the crowd and their reaction to his little band he put together 10 years before that. Now, he's a bona fide rock star and he's neither 100% comfortable with it and far from adept at projecting the aura and confidence of one. Some have natural stage presence. He does not. He either needs to become more confident or recognize his limitations and just be a great musician with a great band and let that do the talking.
    Last edited by grichsgang; 04-21-2014 at 04:41 PM.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Y'all suffer from logorrhea.

You suffer logorrhea everyday every hour and you get away with it because you have a pretty nose.

So you're a nose guy.

Who isn't a nose guy. Hey Gunz I'm at the alley getting sloshed right now.

Well good luck with that.

First, nothing will beat their first Coachella performance. It's the stuff of legend for a reason. I'm comfortable saying so even having missed the 2007 performance and watching the webcast of 2011 (which looked a close runner up to me).

I saw someone else mention how negative their music has become, and I would sort of second that. They've always been a self-serious band, who has dabbled in self-righteousness. The latter seems so much more pervasive now, particularly on "Reflector". One of the things I always thought made them great was their ability to balance the weight of the world with a seeming undying optimism, and most especially live. I just don't see that happening anymore. I still think they've great: I love The Suburbs, and I thought "Reflector" was fantastic live, but the catharsis that comes from songs like "No Cars Go" or "Neighborhood 1" is tempered with the sort of brooding stuff, which is maybe a mixed blessing. Also, Win is self-righteous, always has been. But, I can't say I totally disagree with some (maybe most) of what he has to say.

The dude is a fucking goof. Really didn't enjoy the set Weekend 2 (didn't see them weekend 1)... After watching the most incredible Beck set where I couldn't stop dancing, smiling, and laughing, I just could not get into AF. Beck showed why he is a true headliner. His band was so crisp and clean that when AF came on they just seemed lackluster. The sound mix was super muddy while Beck 30 minutes earlier had some of the best sound of the festival.

I think the most glaring problem with the AF set (obviously Beck's charismatic, hilarious personality magnified it) was Win's absolutely terrible banter and way of talking to the crowd. The guy has no fucking personality at all. It was hard to watch. Beck was the real headliner of Sunday for me with just a perfect, headliner-worthy performance. He should have gotten 1.5 hrs. The guy has a stupid amount of classic albums and material to fill a headlining set.

And the cover of "Rebellion (Lies)" that Beck played? Stop... the guy does it better than Win could ever dream of... Beck's sincerity and air of coolness overshadowed THE FUCK out of AF. It wasn't even close.

I don't think I've seen a band as polarizing as Arcade Fire on here... as an AF fan, I don't even understand how we could all be watching the same show and having such different opinions. For me, I thought AF was the perfect headliner for Sunday night... it was fun, energetic, and engaging. This is the third time I've seen them in concert, and they've all been amazing performances.