Thread: Sleep Paralysis- not cool

Default Sleep Paralysis- not cool

"It is a transition state between wakefulness and rest characterized by complete muscle atonia (muscle weakness). It is believed a result of disrupted REM sleep, which is normally characterized by complete muscle atonia that prevents individuals from acting out their dreams."

Basically (when I try to sleep) I feel conscious and awake while still dreaming. I guess that's what I get for 4-5 days of overstimulation, loud music, little sleep, and lots of dancing. I got home at 2 am last night and can't sleep like normal human.

It's torture! Anyone else experience this?

Default Re: Sleep Paralysis- not cool

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Thee Oh Sees - 11/11 - Hotel Vegas
    Caribou - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I had sleep paralysis more or less monthly from middle school through post college, although I don't think I've had it for a couple years. I don't think you are describing it right, though, as it's not constant during sleep, it's sort of an extra phase between being asleep and being awake. So, for maybe 1 minute or so you are consciously awake and yet it takes outrageous effort to move any part of your body even slightly, and is absolutely terrifying. But then you either wake up fully or go back to sleep.

What do you dream about in this state?

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    What do you dream about in this state?
    For me there is no dreaming. I'm in my bed and can see and feel like I'm awake but I can't move anything and panic ensues. Often I'll start to feel like I'm suffocating as well because I can't actively control my breathing either. It doesn't last long but in the moment it feels like an eternity. Fortunately it hasn't happened to me in a few years but it's completely awful. I recall learning through research when I was experiencing it often that there was a disconnect in the brain switching sensory functions to an awake state out of sync with muscle control.
    ______
    1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by dancefreak View Post
    For me there is no dreaming. I'm in my bed and can see and feel like I'm awake but I can't move anything and panic ensues. Often I'll start to feel like I'm suffocating as well because I can't actively control my breathing either. It doesn't last long but in the moment it feels like an eternity. Fortunately it hasn't happened to me in a few years but it's completely awful. I recall learning through research when I was experiencing it often that there was a disconnect in the brain switching sensory functions to an awake state out of sync with muscle control.
    This is spot on. Often I will mentally count to 5 or so to build up energy to move like an arm or something even a little bit. It is horrifying and you feel mentally awake, albeit groggier than actually being awake.

It usually has a context though, like somebody unwanted in the room or an effort to reach something.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i get this a few times a year, mainly when hot
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by dancefreak View Post
    My husband used to explain it the same way. He dropped 35 pounds (back issues) and hasn't experienced it since. Really scary.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    It usually has a context though, like somebody unwanted in the room or an effort to reach something.
    Yeah, I used to get sleep paralysis in really bad spurts throughout stressful times in college. Often everything would be the exact same as my surroundings with an attacker or imaginary figure in the room. Eventually I taught myself to cope with this by closing my eyes (or whatever I was doing felt like closing my eyes, my eye lids were obviously closed) and talk myself down. I think the sensation is different for everyone, though.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

This happened to me about 50% of the time when I nap during the day. It sucks.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

or a K-Hole

This has been happening to me much more often, my girlfriend typically wakes me up because apparently I get crazy goose bumps

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    This happened to me about 50% of the time when I nap during the day. It sucks.
    Yeah whenever I try to nap or sleep after I've already slept this happens . It's like the senses don't completely shut off .
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

I'm sorry, but this all just sounds like the end of an 8-ball to me....Or, a bad nightmare...
    Last edited by BROKENDOLL; 04-16-2014 at 02:34 AM.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

something like this?

They say in Mexico when you get this - its because a ghost / spirit is either sitting on top of you, or has entered your body.
    You have to wait for it to go away ...

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    This is pretty much what happened to me both times I've experienced it. The first time I freaked out not knowing anything about what was going on. I read about it shortly after and round two wasn't so bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Hahahahahaa
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I actually get it a few times a year. :-/