Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415 LastLast

Thread: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

Yep, and they're not booked for any other major fest in the US this year. I fully expect them to be there.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

It's kinda shocking that they haven't shown up in the last five years or so.
    It'll happen soon, don't you worry. I just hope that we have The Aquabats in the Mojave that night like when they played against Kings of Leon in 2011. They should be the go-to band that plays against any KROQ headliner, really.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Turbonegro/Mastodon during The Killers in 2009 was pretty epic.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Haha, yes, that would have been fucking rad. Almost went in 09, my first year wasn't till 2010 unfortunately.

7/1 - Deafheaven @ The Casbah
    7/11 - Cloud Nothings @ Soda Bar
    7/19 - Wolves In The Throne Room @ Che Cafe
    8/5 - Arcade Fire, Spoon, Dan Deacon @ Sleeptrain Amphitheater
    8/21 - NIN, Soundgarden, Death Grips @ Sleeptrain Amphitheater
    8/22 - Future Islands @ Irenic
    8/23~24 - FYF

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Turbonegro/Mastodon during The Killers in 2009 was pretty epic.
    haha I was at that Turbonegro set, it was awesome times indeed. Pretty empty since everyone was either at Chemical Brothers or waiting for the Killers to start. Not sure if I stuck around for Mastadon or left to catch a bit of the Killers after Turbonegro.
    Coachella 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.2, 13.2, 14.2, 15.2
    Outside Lands 10, 11, 13, 14

Quote Originally Posted by catherineparr View Post
    If we're going to clear out the cheese, we also need to clear out the crappy easy listening rock bands too. no more kings of leon, lumineers, foster the people, mumford & sons etc. shit is shit. and don't tell me that people who listen to the latter are less obnoxious than people who listen to the former. they are less visibly obnoxious because they aren't as numerous as the bro raver crowd in recent years. but if their numbers increase you'll see the same antics from a different group of annoying people.

the only advantage of the bro ravers is that they have better drugs than the pop rockers, and are more willing to share.
    I agree that this fest needs less EDM and a more rock focused lineup, as it was in the past. but I dont agree that we should now whittle it down even further and exclude sub genres of rock. People who are checking out mumford and sons or the lumineers are way more likely to check out other bands or genres, especially moreso than the dude who traveled 2000 miles to fist pump to tiesto.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me. I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me. Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags.

Quote Originally Posted by drewdrewdrew View Post
    People who are checking out mumford and sons or the lumineers are way more likely to check out other bands or genres, especially moreso than the dude who traveled 2000 miles to fist pump to tiesto.
    I don't believe that fans who like crappy rock bands are any more predisposed to musical openmindedness than people who like cheese. rock is right now with country music one of the most stylistically conservative genres of popular music. if anything, these fans are LESS likely to be interested in different music. Most of the pop rock fans I know are only really open to hearing ...other pop rock bands. like there's a reason why Stagecoach is its own event. Those dudes don't care for anything else.

imagine what would happen if you locked a bunch of kings of leon fans inside an erykah badu concert, they'd probably hate it

What in the fuck are you two idiots talking about. What "people" are you talking about? So far you've picked on "crappy rock people" and "cheezy EDM people" as if you are both a couple genius demographers who understand the "open-mindedness" of "people" who you don't know and have never studied.

Quote Originally Posted by drewdrewdrew View Post
    as it was in the past.
    Follow up question -- have any of you dipshits clamoring for the days that Coachella was "more" rock-centric ever looked at past Coachella lineups?

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

One of the amazing things I've learned on this board is the radical diversity among everyones ears. You have people who were excited to see both NMH and Calvin Harris. You have indie rock lovers who hate Modest Mouse but love The Knife. You have retards who wanted to see MGMT but got lost at Beck and now they love Beck more than MGMT.

Yuck

What in the fuck is that supposed to mean?

Like, do you mean "Yuck" the band or "Yuck" the topic or "Yuck" the opinion?

This would be a fun program: everyone complaining about the shitty EDM should list thier top 5 favorite music artists and then we will discuss everyone's taste in music.

And laugh about it. Good times

Never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Packer View Post
    You have people who were excited to see both NMH and Calvin Harris.
    I watched a pretty good chunk of Calvin Harris, not gonna lie. I Feel So Close is just so goddamn catchy, I couldn't help it.

Can't all these EDM guys start REALLY going to work and play live sets? I bet 1/2 of them couldn't pull it off without making countless mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpstart View Post
    Can't all these EDM guys start REALLY going to work and play live sets? I bet 1/2 of them couldn't pull it off without making countless mistakes.
    Yeah....and by the same token, can't all these fucking bands please stop playing DJ sets at pool parties and clubs? Seriously....they can't pull it off. I don't want to see a DJ set by Belle & Sebastian or Neon Indian.
    They heard me singing and they told me to STOP.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Follow up question -- have any of you dipshits clamoring for the days that Coachella was "more" rock-centric ever looked at past Coachella lineups?
    I was about to say something very similar. I'm glad i read the whole thread first.

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    Yeah....and by the same token, can't all these fucking bands please stop playing DJ sets at pool parties and clubs? Seriously....they can't pull it off. I don't want to see a DJ set by Belle & Sebastian or Neon Indian.
    Who gives a fuck what people play at pool parties? The point is, at Coachella, the suck must end.

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    hahaha. Your so right. its such a money grab and yes, most of the time they suck.

What fucking right do you have to call any particular artist's DJ set a "money grab." You are about as arrogant and foolish as it is humanly possible to be.

What fucking right do you have to call any particular artist's DJ set a "money grab." You are about as arrogant and foolish as it is humanly possible to be.
    What fucking right do you have you have to make any judgement? You are just an amazing person. I love you so much. Will you go to bed with me tonight?

And you are ignorant. You think every artist/group out there is humble and altruistic enough to only be doing what they do for the music and their fans? Homies got bills to pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Fuck "themule"

One of the amazing things I've learned on this board is the radical diversity among everyones ears. You have people who were excited to see both NMH and Calvin Harris. You have indie rock lovers who hate Modest Mouse but love The Knife. You have retards who wanted to see MGMT but got lost at Beck and now they love Beck more than MGMT.
    I'm sure there are also coachella attendees who enjoy not only Arcade Fire but Journey, hate Muse but love Limp Bizkit, and once in their lives got lost going to a Pixies show but wound up at Britney Spears's show in vegas and fell in love, so why the fuck not, lets have Katy Perry close out the main stage next year, I'm sure someone would like it

also having opinions about popular bands doesn't mean "radical diversity" anymore. anyone with an internet connection and time to kill has access to more music than anyone can comprehend. you find me some mofo who likes Stockhausen, Beyonce and classical Indian ragas. that guy has radical diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    And you are ignorant. You think every artist/group out there is humble and altruistic enough to only be doing what they do for the music and their fans? Homies got bills to pay.
    I wasn't spaking to humility or altruism. I was saying, essanetially, "homies got bills to pay"--except I didn't say it like a doofus.

I'm not the one clamoring for change. We should like to form a band in the theme of Beyonce, Stockhqusen and Indian folk.

Let it fucking die, y'all. Just move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.