Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 436

Thread: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

  1. #271
    Member thefrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    1,815

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    Outside lands managed to sell out........without a whole bunch of the cheese?
    Wrong.
    2013 = Coverchella

    2011 = Perfectchella

  2. #272
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,339

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.


    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  3. #273

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    headlining festivals around the world. being "irrelevant"

    Posting a pic of a music festival that took place LAST YEAR in June which features a lot of artists doesn't necessarily make you RELEVANT my dear friend.

    Playing at a music festival doesn't make you relevant either. Creating a movement in dance music and breaking CURRENT records, does.

    Look at OutKast - irrelevant as fuck and still headlined Coachella. TRAINWRECK CITY.

  4. #274

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Tollet need to book that 9 year old kid. He has to pander to the audience at those events but when I saw him at Turbo Tax he brought the house down with his future tech bhangherz.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

  5. #275

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Calvin Harris TECHNICALLY HAD THE LARGEST CROWD EVER AT COACHELLA.

    Dr. Dre & Snoop do NOT count since they are two separate artists.

    Yet you guys argue that he is irrelevant and is no way an innovator in music while he breaks records at Coachella. You know... the reason of this forum.

    FACTS > OPINIONS

  6. #276
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,568

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    i should've known that was a useless effort.

    impossible troll is impossible.

  7. #277

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    IT'S OFFICIAL

    Calvin Harris is the biggest artist to perform at Coachella. When someone breaks this record, please let me know. I will PERSONALLY raise a glass filled with an ICE COLD IPA beer, letting the words "Ya got me there" come out of my mouth as my goblet sweats from the icey cold beverage.

    Salute!

  8. #278
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,938

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Wait til Nickelback headlines next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  9. #279
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    229

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by thagorillaz View Post

    I'll take calvin harris over macklemore though
    Just cause you don't like Thrift Shop I'm betting. If you actually listen to his music before The Heist, he has some really good stuff. Yeah his cheesy shit like Thrift Shop and And We Dance, but then has some amazing songs like Otherside, The Town, Wings, White Privilege and a lot more. Also I rather have had Macklemore this year than Flatbush Zombies or 2 Chainz last year...
    2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015

    Upcoming Shows:

    10/03 Odesza @ MHOW
    10/11 American Football & Into It. Over It. @ Webster Hall
    10/15 Flying Lotus @ T5
    10/16 Chet Faker @ Webster Hall
    10/17 Minus The Bear @ Gramercy Theater
    10/29 Brother Ali @ The Knitting Factory
    10/30 togetherPangea @ Bowery Ballroom
    11/08 The Polish Ambassador @ Irving Plaza
    11/13 CunninLynguists @ Webster Hall
    11/22 St. Lucia @ T5

  10. #280

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by RapidFireTollBooth View Post
    Just cause you don't like Thrift Shop I'm betting. If you actually listen to his music before The Heist, he has some really good stuff. Yeah his cheesy shit like Thrift Shop and And We Dance, but then has some amazing songs like Otherside, The Town, Wings, White Privilege and a lot more. Also I rather have had Macklemore this year than Flatbush Zombies or 2 Chainz last year...
    Nah, I just don't like him. Flatbush zombies are great, so was 2 chains.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

  11. #281
    Coachella Junkie SoulDischarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vampire State Building
    Posts
    16,126

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    God. I never thought about it until now that parents would have to go raving to support their children instead of watching them play baseball or whatever. Brave new world.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

  12. #282

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    God. I never thought about it until now that parents would have to go raving to support their children instead of watching them play baseball or whatever. Brave new world.
    If my son became Calvin Harris, I'd be okay with that.

  13. #283

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Calvin Harris TECHNICALLY HAD THE LARGEST CROWD EVER AT COACHELLA.

    Dr. Dre & Snoop do NOT count since they are two separate artists.

    Yet you guys argue that he is irrelevant and is no way an innovator in music while he breaks records at Coachella. You know... the reason of this forum.

    FACTS > OPINIONS
    There are innovators that sell a shitload of records (Beatles, Sinatra, Jay-Z) and innovators that are just as brilliant that don't (VU, Patti Smith). There are vapid, talentless pukes that sell tons of records as well (Bieber, One Direction). That does not make them innovators. Point is record sales and innovators are not corrleative. Never have been.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

  14. #284
    Coachella Junkie SoulDischarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vampire State Building
    Posts
    16,126

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    If my son became Calvin Harris, I'd be okay with that.
    Well, yeah, because Calvin Harris is talented and handsome. I mean, who else could draw such a large crowd? A real mensch, that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

  15. #285

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Does Calvin Harris even play any music from his I Created Disco album? I saw him in this weeks stream and live, partially in 2012, but don't remember him playing anything...



    I saw Calvin Harris in 2007 in a vegas club for that album. That was fun. But he has been and will always be producing music for himself and many artists because he's really talented at it. Regardless of the noise it makes for some, radio is his destination now.
    Last edited by vogina; 04-17-2014 at 10:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

  16. #286
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Are you guys referring to Adam Richard Wiles?
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  17. #287

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Are you guys referring to Adam Richard Wiles?
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

  18. #288

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Did anyone else catch during Arcade Fire's set when Win Butler said "Shout out to all the artists that are playing instruments"? That really made me happy!

    Although EDM isn't complete shit I still do believe it doesn't belong at Coachella. EDM just gets repetitive and it's unoriginal. And there are way to many bro's out there now.

  19. #289
    Member Twattycakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Posts
    934

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Book Calvin Harris every year. Have him play all day on a dedicated stage. Anything to keep those fucking people away from me please.
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

  20. #290
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,732

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    I spent no time at the Sahara, and very little time at the Coachella main stage. I think there is a pattern.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

  21. #291

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    There are innovators that sell a shitload of records (Beatles, Sinatra, Jay-Z) and innovators that are just as brilliant that don't (VU, Patti Smith). There are vapid, talentless pukes that sell tons of records as well (Bieber, One Direction). That does not make them innovators. Point is record sales and innovators are not corrleative. Never have been.
    According to who? That's your opinion my friend. Calvin drawing the largest crowd at Coachella proves your statement otherwise. Other DJs have played at the main stage and did not have the largest crowds. Mr. Harris draws people due to his good music which HE personally writes, produces, and sometimes sings on.

    He also has produced and written songs for the likes of Kyle Minogue, Mary J Blige, Example, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Chris Brown and other strong names in the music industry. He's received awards for his song writing as well.

    Calvin has also mentioned he knows how to play the drums, guitar, bass, piano as all of the sounds on his '18 Months' album are all real instrumentation rather than using shitty synths.

    You comparing him to Bieber and One Direction is stupid to say the least as both of those acts are just popular for their image. Do some research before judging an artist you don't know SHIT about.
    Last edited by sonicc; 04-18-2014 at 12:10 AM.

  22. #292

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    According to who? That's your opinion my friend. Calvin drawing the largest crowd at Coachella proves your statement otherwise. Other DJs have played at the main stage and did not have the largest crowds. Mr. Harris draws people due to his good music which HE personally writes, produces, and sometimes sings on.

    He also has produced and written songs for the likes of Kyle Minogue, Mary J Blige, Example, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Chris Brown and other strong names in the music industry. He's received awards for his song writing as well.

    Calvin has also mentioned he knows how to play the drums, guitar, bass, piano as all of the sounds on his '18 Months' album are all real instrumentation rather than using shitty synths.

    You comparing him to Bieber and One Direction is stupid to say the least as both of those acts are just popular for their image. Do some research before judging an artist you don't know SHIT about.
    I suggest you re-read my post. Nowhere in my post did I attack your beloved Calvin directly. And you're right, I haven't listened to his stuff (although I probably have been unknowingly inundated with it at various food, drink and retail places). My only point was that sales/popularity does not correlate with talent and influence. Not saying he does or doesn't have talent one way or the other. Don't know. Don't want to find out, really. But I must admit, you zinged me with the fact that he writes songs for Katy Perry and knows how to play instruments.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

  23. #293
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    1,322

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Calvin Harris did play live with a backing band back in 08.
    Tycho @ Granada Theatre 9/22 | Hercules & Love Affair live @ Club Dada 9/22 | Sam Smith @ House of Blues Dallas 10/9 | Hardkiss @ Dallas 10/10 | SBTRKT @ House of Blues Dallas 10/12 | Catz n Dogz @ It'll Do 11/1 | Death From Above 1979 @ Granada Theater 11/8 | Eats Everything @ Kingdom Austin 11/13 | Sasha @ It'll Do Dallas 11/22 | Caribou @ Austin 11/23

  24. #294

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    IT'S OFFICIAL

    Calvin Harris is the biggest artist to perform at Coachella. When someone breaks this record, please let me know. I will PERSONALLY raise a glass filled with an ICE COLD IPA beer, letting the words "Ya got me there" come out of my mouth as my goblet sweats from the icey cold beverage.

    Salute!
    Sonicc, you lost all credibility here. Everyone knows IPAs should not be ice cold but around45-50 degrees. You completely sap the flavor if its ice cold. Just another thing you are wrong about
    you are soooooooo good lookin

  25. #295
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,339

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen702 View Post
    Did anyone else catch during Arcade Fire's set when Win Butler said "Shout out to all the artists that are playing instruments"? That really made me happy!

    Although EDM isn't complete shit I still do believe it doesn't belong at Coachella. EDM just gets repetitive and it's unoriginal. And there are way to many bro's out there now.
    The most damning aspect of bro culture is that it's somehow convinced everyone that the plural of bro has a fucking apostrophe.

    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  26. #296
    Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Duluth Minnesota
    Posts
    8,565

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Lets all keep arguing with a trolling alias
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

  27. #297

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Lets all keep arguing with a trolling alias
    Yes, let's, it makes my time at work much more entertaining.

  28. #298

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Lets all keep arguing with a trolling alias
    Trolling would be me making shit up. Everything I've said so far is backed up with solid facts.

  29. #299
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,938

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  30. #300

    Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

    Verification with data is taking place.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 08:29 PM
  2. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-09-2010, 10:23 PM
  3. "Its Hammer Time" Coachella Official Email
    By Monko in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 06:23 PM
  4. The "I Saw Jack Johnson and Had a Good Time" Thread
    By alpharuin in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 05-10-2008, 11:54 PM
  5. Ratio of "new" vs "old" and "exclusive" vs "mainstream"
    By Madigon in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-15-2008, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •