Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

I have only been to Coachella twice, this will be my third year next weekend. I'm all grown up and then some. I think about Coachella alot because I have never been happier to be anywhere than I have been there. And the second year I did notice more idiot twentyish kids dressed or undressed like fools to look cool. Bumping into people because they have no sense of personal space because they live through cell phones where there is no space. Trying so hard to have a good time you had to wonder....

But I think that once they experience Coachella they may change, they may find that they are having moments of joy for other reasons than binge shrooming and guzzling beer and on whatever level process the fact that it's a kind of a church where the walls between the audience and the musicians come down and the pure energy of all the joy that happens there is more than just an obnoxious edm fueled party at the campground. I wonder if they are trying so very hard to have the experience that would happen to them if they would just let go of their idea of Coachella and what they have to do to be at Coachella and let Coachella take them over and just be people in the presence of a kind of family that comes and goes once a year and is -- if you let down your defenses -- full of peace and love.

Lurker

I started Coachella in 2009, and over the years the festival had change a lot, is been more EDM than rock. we need more ROCK!!!!!

Ultimately it's not about what genre dominates, it's about the quality of the acts booked no matter their genre. There's a lot of cheesy rock bands they could book too.

Alright. We've all made our point. Now,

IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by swdshfsk View Post
    I couldn't agree more. This may be an assumption, but it seems to me Coachella began as a festival that very intentionally did not align itself with shallow trends, opting instead to book more thoughtful and challenging artists both big and small. There have always been populist streaks in the line-up, but never any commitment to representing a particular scene because "it's what the people want".

On a more personal note, as much as I hate to generalize, the last Coachella I went to was damn-near ruined because of the type of atmosphere EDM fans perpetuate. I have no problems with partying or drugs, but do you have to run your shitty "drop"-leaden music through a system (powered by a generator, no less) all fucking night?! The drugs just made these people all the more uninhibited and obnoxious when everyone in the surrounding campsites were shouting at them to turn their shit off. Their response: "What the fuck is wrong with you people? This is COACHELLA!". Which also happened to be my same thought: this is Coachella, not EDC pt. 2. I don't think I'm wrong in asserting that there is a sort of culture clash occurring that is souring the festival for a lot of people. And, as much as I believe Coachella was always set up to be inclusive, it was done so to the benefit of the underdog artists and their fans. I'd personally love to see Coachella be hip again.
    This man, nothing worse than a campsite DJ

I am massively into electronic music and it is probably my favorite genre. However, this year at Coachella I saw the least amount of electronic music out of all of the 12 years I've gone, and it was one of the best years I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal Snail View Post
    Not only does your taste clearly suck, but you're also ignorant. The Replacements headlined Riot Fest last year and pulled in a pretty big crowd. Neutral Milk Hotel is headlining Pitchfork Festival and will most likely pull a huge crowd there. NMH is also at Bonaroo, billed above many electronic bands.

Plus, Jagwar Ma, Bonobo, Holy Ghost!, Little Dragon, and Chromeo are not even EDM. Jagwar Ma is Indie Pop with Psychadelic influence. Bonobo is downtempo electronica, Holy Ghost! is synthpop. Little Dragon is Trip Hop. Chromeo is a mix of synthpop and funktronica. I would barely even call The Glitch Mob and Classixx EDM mainly because the former is a lot more eclectic than most EDM artists and Classix is more into remixes.

Just because there's electronic instruments used, that doesn't mean it's EDM. EDM specifically refers to DJs or producers who make pop music with outside vocalists. Calvin Harris, Zedd, David Guetta, Avicii, Marvin Garrix, Swedish House Mafia, and Tiesto are some of the most famous examples. The only band that qualifies as EDM that you listed is Disclosure and Disclosure is actually good. The rest of them make vapid, brainless, insipid pop music full of too many drops that all sound exactly the same. Seriously, take any EDM song off the radio and you will find that it all follows the same formula.

If you're going to promote music at the expensive of some of the greatest and most influential names in alternative/indie music, at least know what the fuck you're talking about first.
    you're an idiot. EDM is a blanket term that literally means electronic dance music. All those acts I listed fall under that umbrella fucktard.

Would you call Reel Big Fish EDM? They use keyboards in a couple of their songs.

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    Would you call Reel Big Fish EDM? They use keyboards in a couple of their songs.
    Ska guy chiming in.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

white ska no less
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    Ask yourselves, how much would the overall quality of music and the temperament of the crowd suffer if these "artists" were not booked in the future?

Adding more bands, rap acts, and quality electronic music will do nothing but improve Coachella. Less cheese = better experiences for all.
    Rap acts... You mean, like OUTCAST? Are you fucking serious? If I want to watch something where 2 peeps are trying to out-talk each other, I can come to this message board.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    No they keep that cheese to keep all those horny rabbits in the Sahara
    Horny rabbits are probably the one form of animal I didn't see in the Sahara tent this year.... every other inflatable seemed to be there...

Quote Originally Posted by erselone View Post
    So very true....what happened to all the quality electronic acts.....NO Groove Armada, Ladytron, Basement Jaxx, Royksopp, Adult, Burial, The Avalanches.....These are all artists I'd rather see at Coachella!!!! I think Paul lost touch after seeing the dollar signs!!!
    Coming from a Classic Rock/ Heavy Metal background, Coachella is where I discovered what is now my favorite style/genre of music. EDM... But, That was 2004.... Maybe the problem lies in the fact that Benny Benassi, Chemical Brothers, Digitalism, Moby,Fatboy Slim, and Danny Tenaglia, has now become "Dub step," "Trap," "Breakbeat Hardcore," and, "Acid techno." None of which you can't become a part of with a simple fist pump and the ability to hop up and down on cue.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    The counter argument to this is that if Coachella totally caves in to the EDM the older rock acts and special reunions will stop coming back. If I'm In Living Color or Charlatan UK or Teenage Fanclub or The Smithereens or Cowboy Junkies or Elvis Costello or Television, and I look at the size of the crowds Bryan Ferry and Superchunk and Neko Case and Afghan Whigs and Jon Spencer had this year and Stone Roses Blur pulled last year...I'm not just saying yes the moment Paul Tollett calls and offers a load of cash.

But you're right, to correct, GV would have to take a intentional multi-year strategy of willfully alienating the mainstream dance audience to reverse the trend, and based on this year's lineup I get no sense of that happening. It's like the Hispanic Voter surge, a demographic sea change that can't be stopped. Hell the rich kid private schools in LA now treat Coachella as an excused absence.

So as earlier poster said, get ready for Swedish House Mafia/AVICII/Skrillex 2015 headlienrs, with a 9pm Saturday Bowie set in the Mojave and a Friday 5:30 Gobi set with the Smiths...that's where we're heading.
    As long as there wasn't a conflict between Bowie and Swedish House Mafia, I'd be totally okay with this lineup so far... Nanner, nanner, nanner, I've seen Bowie a couple of times! (When he was about the closest thing to electronic that I remember...)

Quote Originally Posted by thagorillaz View Post
    Long live the rave tent. Die hippie scum.
    That's not what PLUR stands for...

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    At least keep it in the Sahara. Calvin Harris has no business being on the main stage (although it did make getting up front for Beck super easy).
    Considering that while Calvin Harris was on that mainstage, the Sahara tent was dark for what I thought was a long time...All just so you could get a good spot for Beck... Paul knows what he's doing... I wanted to see Calvin, but Pete didn't feel like having to crowd surf to get there, so we stayed in the Sahara for Big Gigantic... < Way cool if just for the fact that it was a local highschool band that got to stand up on a stage and play at Coachella...How fucking PLUR is that? (Pete happened to end up standing next to the father of one of the kids and he was there lit like a glowstick with pride...that was a refreshing moment amongst the heart rattling beats and bass that has deafened me.
    Last edited by BROKENDOLL; 04-16-2014 at 02:46 AM.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Bring Back UNDERWORLD goddamnit !!

Truth of the matter is, I spent the weekend asking myself, "Am I outgrowing Coachella? Or, is Coachella outgrowing me?" Hell, within the first hour of arriving, I recall telling Pete that the difference was more randoms that couldn't get to Vegas for whatever reason...And, WTF with the "MAKE SOME MOTHERFUCKING NOISE!???" I'm not the one getting paid to make noise, asshole!
    Last edited by BROKENDOLL; 04-16-2014 at 03:03 AM.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by I SNORT COCAINE View Post
    Bring Back UNDERWORLD goddamnit !!

With all of the arguments for trimming down EDM aside (which I tend to agree with to an extent). Can this phenomenon can attributed somewhat to in the contrast in the type of people who make it a point to attend Wkend 1 as compared to wkend 2?

IMO, I feel that more of the people who make it to Wkend 1, have to be somewhat interested in the social aspect of it all, and the perception that they're there for the "first performances", bumping elbows with the celebrities, braging to the bros about being there for the wkend everyone talks about?

This will be my 3rd consecutive Coachella (all wkend 2's) and I haven't noticed a huge issue with the douchebag kinds of things people mention here (granted I never make it over to any of the EDM stuff). Could a lot of it be, that wkend 2 folks are generally there a little bit more for the music and less concerned about the surrounding stuff, the spectacle factor, that wkend 1 usually generates?
    Last edited by brodeus; 04-16-2014 at 06:45 AM.

Keep on bitching. Any of you punk rock enough to curate and organize your own festival, put your homes up in order to pull it off, and not be afraid to go bankrupt and lose millions in the process? Didnt think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

WAAAAAHHHHH The amazing thing that cost more than the GPD of some African countries isnt amazing enough!!!!
    There is too much Skrillex in my Laurent Garnier.
    Christ, man, its a festival. Some people suck, some trendy music sucks, but when you start picking away parts of something that you dont like where does it stop?
    Its what you make of it and you tend to see the world as you are not as it is.

I imagine you are not as interested in popular electronic music as you once were. Coachella curated the best of the popular genres, even if you aren't particularly fond of those genres. Carnage brings a novel, heavy, distinct sound to his electro house. He is a standout in the genre much like BT was a standout in trance. Alesso is an incredibly talented Progressive House producer who, along with Avicii, completely changed the landscape of popular house music by introducing sounds, techniques, and structural elements from trance. Garrix had a breakthrough hit in a popular genre much like an act like Moby with "Go" or Underworld with "Born Slippy Nuxx." (though not nearly as good of a song as either) Like it or not but Calvin Harris is more comparable to Madonna than to someone like Paul Oakenfold.

Plus this year there are still lots of interesting electronic acts. Glitch Mob, Chromeo, Woodkid, Bastille, Shlohmo, Flume, Darkside, Pet Shop Boys, RL Grime, The Internet, Carbon Airways, Duck Sauce, Big Gigantic, Flight Facilities, AlunaGeorge, Netsky, Classix + The Do Lab & Yuma.

Then there are the 20+ other artists who incorporate electronic elements.
    Alesso is progressive house now?

Shut the fuck up.
    Lane 8 @ Kingdom Austin 12/27 | Low Steppa @ Red Light Lounge 1/30 | Eric Prydz @ It'll Do 2/13 | James Zabiela @ It'll Do 2/28 | Clark w/ Nosaj Thing @ Club Dada 4/16 | Peter Hook & The Light @ Granada Theatre 4/24 |

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    Alesso is progressive house now?

Shut the fuck up.
    Um...absolutely? His top 10 Beatport tracks are each categorized as progressive house. Progressive house has shifted a lot since Avicii exploded and EDM (a term that has come to mean progressive house) took over the mainstream, but Alesso is definitely still progressive house. I'm sure he mixes in all sorts of genres in his set, but his productions are progressive house for sure.

Screen Shot 2014-04-16 at 8.51.11 AM.jpg
    DRUGS ON KIDS

it made it easy to get up for beck because EVERYONE left after calvin,

4 years going first year spent a good amount in sahara 2010 , next years after that i slowly stopped going , especially after that year SHM played and everyone that weekened kept playing alesso's song! i seriously am not lying when i said that i walked with my girl around the sahara and at 3 different intervals i heard the same fucking song! same with knife party's song! to hear the same fucking songs 3 times in the same day?! fuck that . dead can dance flying lotus , sbtrkt and modeselektor have ALL SHIT on everything that played in the sahara the last years,

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    Keep on bitching. Any of you punk rock enough to curate and organize your own festival, put your homes up in order to pull it off, and not be afraid to go bankrupt and lose millions in the process? Didnt think so.
    The attitude of "if you can't do it better then don't complain" is so incredibly stupid and lazy.

December 31 - Matthew Dear/The Sword/Pallbearer
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 10 - 1349
    February 28 - A Place To Bury Strangers
    April 6 - Swans
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    April 17 - Clark/Nosaj Thing
    May 8-10 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 15-17 - Psycho California
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    I'm of this mindset and pretty grateful to GV for envisioning and delivering this diverse desert other-world. The musical popularity landscape has changed with EDM, but look at who still gets on the bill (Bryan Ferry, Pet Shop Boys, Scratch Perry, Stone fucking Roses/Blur headliners, Sparks...and those are just in the last two years). Or remember Suede a few years ago with the passionate crowd pogoing away? Gawd I'd have to question whether I've ever been so happy after a set. GV gets and pays the bands who matter to some of us. Legendary, dream artists.

And these bands are prepped, or most likely already know themselves going into it, about the potential for irregularly sparse crowds at their feet as to avoid being butthurt and a momentary internal state-of-shock onstage. Management/Agent prefaces them in advance with a "Laptop playing has become more popular than instruments now, so be forewarned of a potential small audience. But fuck those knob twisting knobheads. Let's go show em how it's done. Plus, we're getting $75k to spend a week in the sun. Off to America...". Signatures are still being applied to the contracts in agreement, so quality bands are booked.

I'd give Paul, and/or those most responsible, a big hug or strong handshake for their bookings over the years (including this year). They can pay these great bands based off the overall revenue from the ones we don't care for. It's been genius and a great ride really.
    Thank you. This weekend will be my 10th Coachella and I have found an abundance of great music at every one. Maybe it's because I'm about 30 years older than the average Coachella-goer but I find absolutely no reason to give a fuck about who is seeing which acts on which stage or what they're wearing or who they're with. I'm happy that for 3 days GV gives me a festival with more acts that I want to see than I possibly can see. On Sunday while I am enjoying Little Dragon I will not be thinking about Calvin Harris on the main stage.

Quote Originally Posted by philabuster View Post
    Thank you. This weekend will be my 10th Coachella and I have found an abundance of great music at every one. Maybe it's because I'm about 30 years older than the average Coachella-goer but I find absolutely no reason to give a fuck about who is seeing which acts on which stage or what they're wearing or who they're with. I'm happy that for 3 days GV gives me a festival with more acts that I want to see than I possibly can see. On Sunday while I am enjoying Little Dragon I will not be thinking about Calvin Harris on the main stage.
    Absolutely. My sahara attendance has gone down year after year, but I love that GV puts on a world class rave in the middle of their world class festival so I can check in on how the scene has changed.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

I really like how you put this. I think there are a lot of people who really care about this Festiville, who have even been here since 99' myself included. Somehow the coolest event in North America has turned into some teeny boppoer MTV Spring Break "Lemme hear you scream" Frat fest. What the Hell happened? Eventually, this is what brings good things to an end. I have been thinking about this since last year, actually for the last several Coachella's and actually had some hope for the direction of things to come, when Paul T and GV had the balls and coolness to book The legendary Stone Roses and blur on the Main Stage. They were making a statement with that, but then continue to walk the fine line of booking mega top 40 esch acts which has changed the vibe of Coachella for good it seems. It's really too bad, because I have spent the last 13 or 14 years bragging and promoting "Coachella" to all my friends and others who had never heard of it. Now I don't even really tell anyone I'm going. Eventually, I will just stop going. Pretty sad to see a 14 year run end.
    Quote Originally Posted by swdshfsk View Post
    I couldn't agree more. This may be an assumption, but it seems to me Coachella began as a festival that very intentionally did not align itself with shallow trends, opting instead to book more thoughtful and challenging artists both big and small. There have always been populist streaks in the line-up, but never any commitment to representing a particular scene because "it's what the people want".

On a more personal note, as much as I hate to generalize, the last Coachella I went to was damn-near ruined because of the type of atmosphere EDM fans perpetuate. I have no problems with partying or drugs, but do you have to run your shitty "drop"-leaden music through a system (powered by a generator, no less) all fucking night?! The drugs just made these people all the more uninhibited and obnoxious when everyone in the surrounding campsites were shouting at them to turn their shit off. Their response: "What the fuck is wrong with you people? This is COACHELLA!". Which also happened to be my same thought: this is Coachella, not EDC pt. 2. I don't think I'm wrong in asserting that there is a sort of culture clash occurring that is souring the festival for a lot of people. And, as much as I believe Coachella was always set up to be inclusive, it was done so to the benefit of the underdog artists and their fans. I'd personally love to see Coachella be hip again.
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com
    www.facebook.com/SPX.clothing
    www.myspace.com/spxclothing

Quote Originally Posted by philabuster View Post
    and thats the perfect attitude right there

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Alright. We've all made our point. Now,

IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR IT'S TIME FOR THE PERCOLATOR
    QFT
    DRUGS ON KIDS

So Soul Discharge, Cajmere was good?

Um...absolutely? His top 10 Beatport tracks are each categorized as progressive house. Progressive house has shifted a lot since Avicii exploded and EDM (a term that has come to mean progressive house) took over the mainstream, but Alesso is definitely still progressive house. I'm sure he mixes in all sorts of genres in his set, but his productions are progressive house for sure.

Screen Shot 2014-04-16 at 8.51.11 AM.jpg
    So you use Beatport as a source to claim Alesso is progressive house?

How long have you been listening to electronic music? I've had this argument with knowyourhouse before so I'm basically probably preaching to the choir on this one, but why don't you go listen to some Twilo-era sets from Sasha & John Digweed and Danny Tenaglia and educate yourself on what progressive house is before you claim the cheesy EDM shitheads are prog house.

Start with Global Underground first. Electronic music has existed prior to 2010 for fuck's sake.
    Lane 8 @ Kingdom Austin 12/27 | Low Steppa @ Red Light Lounge 1/30 | Eric Prydz @ It'll Do 2/13 | James Zabiela @ It'll Do 2/28 | Clark w/ Nosaj Thing @ Club Dada 4/16 | Peter Hook & The Light @ Granada Theatre 4/24 |

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    So you use Beatport as a source to claim Alesso is progressive house?

How long have you been listening to electronic music? I've had this argument with knowyourhouse before so I'm basically probably preaching to the choir on this one, but why don't you go listen to some Twilo-era sets from Sasha & John Digweed and Danny Tenaglia and educate yourself on what progressive house is before you claim the cheesy EDM shitheads are prog house.

Start with Global Underground first. Electronic music has existed prior to 2010 for fuck's sake.
    I have been listening to electronic music for about 9 years.

Of course I am going to use the main seller of electronic music as a source. I am also basing my opinion on Wikipedia, Alesso's self identification, and the sound of his music. What sources support your claim that Alesso is not Progressive House?

Yes Sasha and Digweed are progressive house and yes Alesso, Avicii, and Eric Prydz are also progressive house.

Genres can be broad, and they can change with the times. Pink Floyd is psychedelic rock and so is GOAT. They don't sound similar at all, but they both make music in the same genre. Sasha and Digweed are on one end of the prog house spectrum (I've seen them perform together by the way, they are fantastic) and Alesso is on the other. The releases of Eric Prydz' various projects span the prog house spectrum. Anjunadeep releases tend towards the middle of that spectrum.
    DRUGS ON KIDS