Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

Default Re: It's time to get rid of the "EDM" cheese.

At least Paris didn't do a set.

This is why nothings gonna change:

martin g coachella.jpg

I just don't get why it's OK for the EDM Cheese & other radio acts, but people like Drake will never end up on the lineup.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    At least Paris didn't do a set.
    Wait till next year. She will do a cameo during Pauly D's set and blow him on stage. Fucking EPIC
    They heard me singing and they told me to STOP.

This is the cheesy EDM of threads. It goes on and on and on and on with stupid shit repeating itself over and over.

2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Those acts may have been fairly popular for electronic music, but most of them drew from a rich tradition of electronic and dance music, had distinctive sounds, and strove to push the artform forward in a way that was still appealing to a large audience. I can't say that about just about anything in the Sahara this year. That's who I'm talking about. Nearly every act, if not every act, in the Sahara. There are more electronic acts than ever before, and they keep drawing from the same small pool. And yeah, the Yuma makes up for it a bit, but it's still kind of a shame that those kinds of acts can't have a chance at the big stage with the ridiculous production because the people who have 100 festivals a year marketed towards them need that stage all to themselves.
    I imagine you are not as interested in popular electronic music as you once were. Coachella curated the best of the popular genres, even if you aren't particularly fond of those genres. Carnage brings a novel, heavy, distinct sound to his electro house. He is a standout in the genre much like BT was a standout in trance. Alesso is an incredibly talented Progressive House producer who, along with Avicii, completely changed the landscape of popular house music by introducing sounds, techniques, and structural elements from trance. Garrix had a breakthrough hit in a popular genre much like an act like Moby with "Go" or Underworld with "Born Slippy Nuxx." (though not nearly as good of a song as either) Like it or not but Calvin Harris is more comparable to Madonna than to someone like Paul Oakenfold.

Plus this year there are still lots of interesting electronic acts. Glitch Mob, Chromeo, Woodkid, Bastille, Shlohmo, Flume, Darkside, Pet Shop Boys, RL Grime, The Internet, Carbon Airways, Duck Sauce, Big Gigantic, Flight Facilities, AlunaGeorge, Netsky, Classix + The Do Lab & Yuma.

Then there are the 20+ other artists who incorporate electronic elements.
    Last edited by thagorillaz; 04-15-2014 at 04:02 PM.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

old school

The difference between the good ol days is that those acts that played the first Coachella are actually talented live performers that actually know how to match a beat and do something with skill on stage vs. laptop filtering cue mixes and crowd hyping with no talent. Producers that dont know how to mix playing their hit(s) on a laptop is what cheese is to me. Bring back some turntablism and live P.A. performances which use to be the highlight of a rave. Kids these days are about sick drops not asck mixes because most of them have never heard a clean beat matched mix.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    holy shit dude
    ^I earned this.^

"Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

old school

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Pure gold!
    holy shit dude
    ^I earned this.^

old school

I think the last decent beat matched set I heard at Coachella was either Wolfgang Gartner & E Morillo. Its been garbage since.
    holy shit dude
    ^I earned this.^

Quote Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
    Don't forget that Calvin Harris was a nerdy live act at that time. RIP
    That was one of my favorite sets of all time. Such great energy.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

As a 9 year vet, I have to say that the second weekend has been dramatically better in terms of crowd size and makeup. I stage hop and love just about every type of music. Some years, I spent a ton of time in the Sahara, and others, barely any. Remember Institubes? That was a weird moment. Or how about Pendulum? Orbital? Plastikman? Three best Sahara sets since DP. Other posters have pointed out the lack of sonic diversity as the main problem in the Sahara, and I tend to agree. The tent cleared out for Chase and Status '11...the rave kids didn't want to get moshed up, and dispersed.

However, at least the fest continues booking the best electronic acts in the world for those of us who do care: Trentemoller, Leftfield, Presets, Plump DJs, Hot Chip, Modeselektor, Booka Shade, SMD, James Blake, Disclosure, FlyLo...none of them played the Sahara, not to mention all the DoLab and Yuma artists.

The real value of Coachella is the venue itself and the extremely diverse bookings. Any time you get smushed into a small space with 80,000 people, it's going to be slightly uncomfortable (more so if those people are all neon-clad bros n' basics). It's worth it, and will remain worth it regardless of the shifts in cultural tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This is the cheesy EDM of threads. It goes on and on and on and on with stupid shit repeating itself over and over.
    Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by thagorillaz View Post
    I imagine you are not as interested in popular electronic music as you once were. Coachella curated the best of the popular genres, even if you aren't particularly fond of those genres. Carnage brings a novel, heavy, distinct sound to his electro house. He is a standout in the genre much like BT was a standout in trance. Alesso is an incredibly talented Progressive House producer who, along with Avicii, completely changed the landscape of popular house music by introducing sounds, techniques, and structural elements from trance. Garrix had a breakthrough hit in a popular genre much like an act like Moby with "Go" or Underworld with "Born Slippy Nuxx." (though not nearly as good of a song as either) Like it or not but Calvin Harris is more comparable to Madonna than to someone like Paul Oakenfold.

Plus this year there are still lots of interesting electronic acts. Glitch Mob, Chromeo, Woodkid, Bastille, Shlohmo, Flume, Darkside, Pet Shop Boys, RL Grime, The Internet, Carbon Airways, Duck Sauce, Big Gigantic, Flight Facilities, AlunaGeorge, Netsky, Classix + The Do Lab & Yuma.

Then there are the 20+ other artists who incorporate electronic elements.
    Now is the part of our journey where we part ways forever. We'll always have Rome though.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
    As a 9 year vet, I have to say that the second weekend has been dramatically better in terms of crowd size and makeup. I stage hop and love just about every type of music. Some years, I spent a ton of time in the Sahara, and others, barely any. Remember Institubes? That was a weird moment. Or how about Pendulum? Orbital? Plastikman? Three best Sahara sets since DP. Other posters have pointed out the lack of sonic diversity as the main problem in the Sahara, and I tend to agree. The tent cleared out for Chase and Status '11...the rave kids didn't want to get moshed up, and dispersed.

However, at least the fest continues booking the best electronic acts in the world for those of us who do care: Trentemoller, Leftfield, Presets, Plump DJs, Hot Chip, Modeselektor, Booka Shade, SMD, James Blake, Disclosure, FlyLo...none of them played the Sahara, not to mention all the DoLab and Yuma artists.

The real value of Coachella is the venue itself and the extremely diverse bookings. Any time you get smushed into a small space with 80,000 people, it's going to be slightly uncomfortable (more so if those people are all neon-clad bros n' basics). It's worth it, and will remain worth it regardless of the shifts in cultural tastes.
    This is all well and good, I agree wholeheartedly... But the makeup of the crowd has been leaning HEAVILY as of late towards the cheese-pop artists. Like the Sahara overflowing beyond capacity many times while other stages were absolutely barren. I know this does tend to happen at festivals a lot, it just seemed more dramatic here than in yester-years. It's like all the bro ravers are making Coachella their own "EDM" festival and ignoring everything else on the lineup, and they're the ones that are snatching up most of the tickets. It's incredibly unfortunate.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Fuck "themule"

Carnage brings a novel, heavy, distinct sound to his electro house. He is a standout in the genre much like BT was a standout in trance. Alesso is an incredibly talented Progressive House producer who, along with Avicii, completely changed the landscape of popular house music by introducing sounds, techniques, and structural elements from trance. Garrix had a breakthrough hit in a popular genre much like an act like Moby with "Go" or Underworld with "Born Slippy Nuxx." (though not nearly as good of a song as either) Like it or not but Calvin Harris is more comparable to Madonna than to someone like Paul Oakenfold.
    Artists such as Avicii, Martin Garrix and Carnage are not innovators. They piggy-backed their respective ways to fame off of the sounds of other artists who made big hits. They in turn got popular with generic tracks that pander to the mainstream and don't take creative risks (besides Avicii, who made some shit country songs) now that they've established a sound that they know reaches the widest possible audience. They sit up on the stage and wave their fucking hands around and yell "make some noise!!!" every other song and are more cheerleaders than they are DJs. This is the case for a lot of the artists in the Sahara.

I do agree that there is still *some* decent stuff in the Sahara, but it's mostly just there to flesh out the gaps in between the huge cheese DJs. These are definitely still a far cry from what used to be in there though.
    Fuck "themule"

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    This is all well and good, I agree wholeheartedly... But the makeup of the crowd has been leaning HEAVILY as of late towards the cheese-pop artists. Like the Sahara overflowing beyond capacity many times while other stages were absolutely barren.
    This is the problem. I actually have no problem with somebody like Martin Garrix or Calvin Harris being at the festival. But EDM is just so outrageously popular now that it seems like 50% of the ticketholders are buying it to just see that type of stuff, and as a result the vibe of the festival suffers. I know so many like to say that "Oh, well good for me, I get to see all my favorite sets up close!" but do you think your favorite bands LIKE playing to a half empty tent when they know there are 80K people at the festival?

For an example, see Calvin Harris having the biggest crowd of the weekend, and maybe 1,000 people showing up to The Replacements. That's an issue and I hope GV recognizes it. It's wildly disproportionate, and on top of that, the crowd is the famous "country music" paradox...for a genre that's all about peace, love, PLUR, and positive vibes, it seems like every negative encounter I've had, whether it's been aggression, "Show me your tits!" level foolishness, rudeness, disinterest in music, entitled attitudes, "string 15 people in a row and push in and out of shows", etc has been linked to Sahara kids.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    This is the problem. I actually have no problem with somebody like Martin Garrix or Calvin Harris being at the festival. But EDM is just so outrageously popular now that it seems like 50% of the ticketholders are buying it to just see that type of stuff, and as a result the vibe of the festival suffers. I know so many like to say that "Oh, well good for me, I get to see all my favorite sets up close!" but do you think your favorite bands LIKE playing to a half empty tent when they know there are 80K people at the festival?

For an example, see Calvin Harris having the biggest crowd of the weekend, and maybe 1,000 people showing up to The Replacements. That's an issue and I hope GV recognizes it. It's wildly disproportionate, and on top of that, the crowd is the famous "country music" paradox...for a genre that's all about peace, love, PLUR, and positive vibes, it seems like every negative encounter I've had, whether it's been aggression, "Show me your tits!" level foolishness, rudeness, disinterest in music, entitled attitudes, "string 15 people in a row and push in and out of shows", etc has been linked to Sahara kids.
    All ticket purchase applicants must submit to a written examination. This examination will cover indie rock history exclusively.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

All ticket purchase applicants must submit to a written examination. This examination will cover indie rock history exclusively.
    I don't care what genre anybody listens to, nor do I care if people listen to genres exclusively. What I'm trying to say is that the makeup of the crowd continues to get more EDM heavy (and I don't mean the Yuma or the better stuff that makes its way into the Mojave, just the big cheese names) and these kids seem only to want to see that stuff. The problem is is that Coachella is supposed to be a festival that balances several genres. If such a wildly disproportionate amount of tickets goes to kids who will never leave the Sahara, that is a big issue for the festival.

The Sahara was reportedly (I only saw 10 minutes of Big Gigantic in there all weekend) beyond overflowing for virtually every set, and Calvin Harris had the reported biggest crowd of the year (once again, I can't verify since I was at Little Dragon). Many other stages seemed surprisingly, if not embarrassingly, empty. That's a real problem for the festival's future if it wants to continue significant bookings in just about any other genre...rock, indie, punk, hip-hop, more sophisticated electronic, folk, whatever. You think Bryan Ferry, Neko Case, the 'Mats, NMH, Afghan Whigs, QOTSA, Muse, etc will have great things to say about Coachella to their industry connections and agents when they get back? It seemed like everybody skipped their sets completely, and yet Calvin "Press Play" Harris gets the crowd of the year? Even Arcade Fire seemed frustrated from their stage banter with both the EDM presence and the celebrity style culture it promotes.

The musical landscape will change.

I don't care what genre anybody listens to, nor do I care if people listen to genres exclusively. What I'm trying to say is that the makeup of the crowd continues to get more EDM heavy (and I don't mean the Yuma or the better stuff that makes its way into the Mojave, just the big cheese names) and these kids seem only to want to see that stuff. The problem is is that Coachella is supposed to be a festival that balances several genres. If such a wildly disproportionate amount of tickets goes to kids who will never leave the Sahara, that is a big issue for the festival.

The Sahara was reportedly (I only saw 10 minutes of Big Gigantic in there all weekend) beyond overflowing for virtually every set, and Calvin Harris had the reported biggest crowd of the year (once again, I can't verify since I was at Little Dragon). Many other stages seemed surprisingly, if not embarrassingly, empty. That's a real problem for the festival's future if it wants to continue significant bookings in just about any other genre...rock, indie, punk, hip-hop, more sophisticated electronic, folk, whatever. You think Bryan Ferry, Neko Case, the 'Mats, NMH, Afghan Whigs, QOTSA, Muse, etc will have great things to say about Coachella to their industry connections and agents when they get back? It seemed like everybody skipped their sets completely, and yet Calvin "Press Play" Harris gets the crowd of the year? Even Arcade Fire seemed frustrated from their stage banter with both the EDM presence and the celebrity style culture it promotes.
    Agree entirely with this...it's not just the acts, it's the percentage of the audience gobbling up the tickets just to see those acts that's the biggest problem. But as I said in another thread, how do you even correct that next year with a lineup change if you're selling 80% of your tickets presale...if the festival decides it needs to course correct to avoid becoming electric daisy carnival...right now they'd have to put out multiple lineups in a row that intentionally diminish their cache with this demographic group and I just don't see them taking that risk when that's where the easy money is right now. If they did though, it would be a legendary move talked about for generations to come.

Unfortunately, the people complaining on this message board, while far more vocal than the EDMers, are now a very small portion of the overall Coachella audience. Me thinks the EDMers hast already won.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Very interesting point. Coachella is a legendary festival though. Should be an honor to play there regardless of what the musical trends are.
    2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

I didn't need to set foot in the Sahara tent once until Big Gigantic on Sunday, and I still had the most fun I've had at Coachella in a few years. As long as you're with good people, you can ignore the annoying shit and have a great time. If the EDM loving kids bother you that much, don't go. It won't change anytime soon and there are plenty of other festivals to go to (FYF) that don't cater to that crowd. I get what most everyone is saying, but the music landscape is shifting and Coachella is shifting with it, for better or worse.
    '10 '11 '12 '13 '14

totally agree..i mean..what old bands want to reunite at here anymore? unless it's a huge ass paycheck..it's such a shame what the crowd these days want..like there aren't enough stupid festivals for this edm shit.

i have no problem with that crap..but just annoying that 50%+ of the attendance have zero interest in real music...all people want these days are stupid jump around dance music and stupid top 40 hooks..where will coachella be in 3 years?

google "coachella" and go to the news section and tell me that's not disgusting what shows up
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

I will preface my post by saying that I enjoy the occasional cheese set. I go to EDC every year and I also attend HARD events in the L.A. area. I have had fun at Calvin Harris/Porter Robinson/Dirty South/Kaskade/Afrojack sets throughout the years and I still occasionally will stop by and dance at those types of sets if my more mainstream electronica friends are with me and want to take in one of their sets.

That being said, this year's Coachella week 1 was an absolute abortion of a production when it comes to the crowd that it attracted. Calvin Harris having the largest crowd of the weekend on the mainstage was an absolute embarrassment. I got to that stage a bit earlier so that I could get a good spot for Beck and I swear I was transported to the main stage at EDC. The "RAGE!!" crowd component completely dominated the polo fields this weekend. The minuscule crowds for seminal acts like Motorhead/Ferry/NMH/Replacements in comparison to the generic EDM sets are hopefully an eye-opener for Goldenvoice.

At this point, what's even worse/more pathetic is that I actually feel that EDC (the King of the EDM festivals) has been more dynamic in its bookings of electronica artists than Coachella over the past few years. As an example, last year on the main stage on Sunday EDC had Mark Knight > Umek > Richie Hawtin > Carl Cox > Above & Beyond (And that's not even counting some of the very diverse acts they have booked over the past few years on their side stages.) When was the last time Coachella had the balls to book a run of artists like that in the Sahara? 2011 had Shpongle/Sven Vath/Sasha etc in the sahara and the Chem's on the main stage, but ever since then it has been an absolute disaster in there. The Yuma tent has been a nice addition, but like previously stated, it would be amazing to have artists like Laurent Garnier/Dixon/Bicep/Cashmere/Art Department in the Sahara with that awesome production level. In addition, having these artists relegated to the tiny (in comparison) Yuma will only really attract the people who are already into their music. Coachella used to be a place where you could go explore, discover new music, and expand your musical boundaries, but now it's simply a place to go and take a selfie and rage in the Sahara with all of the other people who are their simply because it's the trendy thing to do.
    Last edited by Vortex; 04-15-2014 at 06:46 PM.

But EDM is just so outrageously popular now that it seems like 50% of the ticketholders are buying it to just see that type of stuff, and as a result the vibe of the festival suffers.
    I feel like what EDM is doing currently is hyping up the "summer festival" scene, and drawing a bunch of idiots like you also mentioned in your post. I believe like these type of people are going to be more and more prevalent every year due to the use of the internet and tumblr. Unfortunately, I feel like the whole festival scene will be changing in the next few years because of the bad apples.
    If you don't like it, we got two words for ya...

Agree with OP. While I still had a great time, the crowd was the worst out of the four years I've gone. My girlfriend was pushed to the ground by some asshole moshing to Beck during "Loser" with face paint on and some retarded looking headdress. Hopefully Paul got it out of his system and can see that his creation is going down a slippery slope.
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

I propose that the problem was not the EDM acts booked, but the rest of the acts. I'd imagine that the crowd we're all describing are also fans of Lorde, Lana Del Rey, Foster the People, Chvrches, Pharrell, Empire of the Sun, and Naked & Famous. Take those acts out, and I bet a portion of the crowd you're describing doesn't bother coming. Add in people who just love Hey Ya and wanted to be able to say they were there for the reunion, and you get a substantially shitty crowd.

I had a great time this year, but if the crowd is like that again next year I might have to reconsider after that. That said, every time I've thought "if such and such is broken about Coachella again next year..." they've fixed it the following year. I'd bet the lineup next year is a reaction of sorts to this crowd.
    Last edited by braundiggity; 04-15-2014 at 06:47 PM.

It's good to know there are people out there that share my concerns... GV should be concerned about this too. If they aren't, they're completely out of touch.

Coachella used to pride itself on being a unique festival that catered to many different types of music and starred up-and-comers and legacy acts alike. GV has been proud of what they've cultivated here, but it truly and honestly seems like they're ditching exactly what made the festival into what it is today in order to cater to the new type of festival goer - those who go solely to get fucked up and "rage", use the festival as a sort of status-booster or fashion podium, and who basically just don't give a fuck about the music. While these sorts of people are not new to the circuit, and will never disappear, they are about in HUGE amounts these days, especially amongst those who are into the cheesy "EDM" varieties.

Since these people are all about Coachella these days, and GV is encouraging them by putting acts such as Calvin Harris and Martin Garrix on the lineup, the integrity of the festival seems to be at stake. As long as the aforementioned "artists" are on the bill, shit's going to keep going downhill.
    Fuck "themule"

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I propose that the problem was not the EDM acts booked, but the rest of the acts. I'd imagine that the crowd we're all describing are also fans of Lorde, Lana Del Rey, Foster the People, Chvrches, Pharrell, Empire of the Sun, and Naked & Famous. Take those acts out, and I bet a portion of the crowd you're describing doesn't bother coming. Add in people who just love Hey Ya and wanted to be able to say they were there for the reunion, and you get a substantially shitty crowd.
    I think that was definitely part of the problem, but I also look at it a slightly different way too. I think that with a more balanced lineup, an act like Lorde or Pharrell would be a different experience. If you put either one of those names on the top lines of 2013, for example, it wouldn't be completely out of place at all. I think the sheer concentration of poppier acts this year shifted the lineup one way. I would love to see a 2013 lineup next year with a big headliner, because even though 2013 had easily my favorite undercard, seeing Arcade Fire and the first half of OutKast made me realize that a big headlining experience really does add a significant amount to the Coachella experience.