Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMPORTANT PLEASE READ - PICK POCKETS

Exclamation IMPORTANT PLEASE READ - PICK POCKETS

So i went to coachella weekend 1 and seen something iv never seen before. not trying to sound racist but there was a group of small Asian girls and guys moving through the crowds at coachella PICKPOCKETING people at the Sets that got really crowded. i was lucky enough to catch one the girls with HER HAND IN MY POCKET at the Empire of the sun set at the sahara and alert everyone around us that they were trying to steal from them. They were short enough to where they could just slip there hand in your pockets as they passed by you shuffling through the crowd. BEWARE OF PICK POCKETS!!!

id hate to see people have their coachella ruined by some a-holes

TL;DR - Be careful of pick pockets at crowded sets

PS - Mods if you can sticky this post or write a general summary for the coachella community that would be great !

Default Re: IMPORTANT PLEASE READ - PICK POCKETS

Yes, I felt someone's hand in my back pocket, too. Fortunately I had moved my wallet to the front pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Who doesn't take picket pockets into consideration when in a public place?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

old school

The atmosphere is a pick pockets dream come true. Another variation of this I witnessed at Roo one year. They had a ball and cup game going (or some other distraction to get people crowded in) As they were placing bets and distracted by the game they were unzipping backpacks and taking valuables literally right off peoples backs. I didn't notice it either until the security (if thats who they even were) broke up the game. As people walked away some kid realized he had just been picked out of all his cash as he watched the game. You have to be really alert they are incredibly good at this. Don't keep all your cash or cards on you at once.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

I had my phone stolen from the Sahara 4 years ago like this...

It was in the small pocket of a backpack and someone unzipped it and took it..

old school

Wear your backpacks on your stomach in crowds. Its way easier to mover through a crowd like that with one anyway and not obnoxiously bumping into people with it on your back. They can't take anything out if you rest it at your feet or sitting on your stomach. They love to target backpacks because there is very little chance your going to feel them getting into it.
    Last edited by shoegazer76; 04-14-2014 at 08:36 PM.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

I thought I felt something on my back pocket too. But they were just trying to grope me.

The thread title sounds like a song in Marry Poppins. Pick pockets, PICK POCKETS?! Pocket away, away. Laaa deee laaa dee laaaa
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

Quote Originally Posted by volume16 View Post
    So i went to coachella weekend 1 and seen something iv never seen before. not trying to sound racist but there was a group of small Asian girls and guys moving through the crowds at coachella PICKPOCKETING people at the Sets that got really crowded. i was lucky enough to catch one the girls with HER HAND IN MY POCKET at the Empire of the sun set at the sahara and alert everyone around us that they were trying to steal from them. They were short enough to where they could just slip there hand in your pockets as they passed by you shuffling through the crowd. BEWARE OF PICK POCKETS!!!

id hate to see people have their coachella ruined by some a-holes

TL;DR - Be careful of pick pockets at crowded sets

PS - Mods if you can sticky this post or write a general summary for the coachella community that would be great !
    I hope you socked her in the face.

Also, a tip for a backpack. Don't zip so both tabs are at the top. Have it zipped so both tabs are at the bottom of the left or right side. That way they need to unzip from the bottom around to the top to get access to the goods.

were they small dark little asian gremlins?

Quote Originally Posted by Saydo View Post
    Also, a tip for a backpack. Don't zip so both tabs are at the top. Have it zipped so both tabs are at the bottom of the left or right side. That way they need to unzip from the bottom around to the top to get access to the goods.
    Zip it so the zippers are tucked into the bag if you can't lock it, so it's slightly more difficult and noticeable to you if tampered with. It's just really easy to disregard or leave behind a backpack or fanny pack if that's not something you carry on your person regularly anyway.

Wear cargo shorts so you can put your valuables within sight, even while grooving, or perhaps ask a lady friend to carry it in her purse/ a male friend to carry it in his extra pockets.

As previously stated, it's sort of stupid to go in without preparing for this. Large crowds attract every kind of people. Go with it, and have fun. If your slate is clean, your wallet may turn up at lost and found (-$$$), but maybe not. Sometimes it works that way. I could tell you more, but this is just the jacket to the book. #BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide

Yeah I had my friend have her sunglasses and money stolen out of her purse in the Sahara over the weekend, that made me fucking angry to see what this supposedly "accepting" and "PLUR" crowd really consists of.
    Hernan Cattaneo b2b Nick Warren and Guy J @ Kingdom Austin 8/31 | Lone. @ Empire Control Room Austin 9/11 | Tycho @ Granada Theatre 9/22 | Sam Smith @ House of Blues Dallas 10/9 | SBTRKT @ House of Blues Dallas 10/12 | Catz n Dogz @ It'll Do 11/1 | Death From Above 1979 @ Granada Theater 11/8 | Eats Everything @ Kingdom Austin 11/13

And I felt pretty funny wearing a fanny pack…
    But good to know it will be right in front of me at all times.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Gay is the answer to everything.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

that really sucks. i recommend drawstring bags. i can't get through festivals without some sort of bag. at least with a draw string, you have to take it off to open it.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Cargo shorts are what I do. They may look lame, but you're unlikely to get pick pocketed from the front.
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

my friend puts a tsa combination lock on the zippers of his backpack

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Cargo shorts are what I do. They may look lame, but you're unlikely to get pick pocketed from the front.
    cargo shorts do not look lame. they are fucking genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

Someone tried to take my backpack off of me! Was walking out of the Mojave at night and stopped to light up a smoke when i felt the bag get lifted then pulled. They never made it over my head, I held onto the strap (it is a crossover bag with one strap) and looked back then the kid ran off. After that point my bag was on my side or belly for the rest of the weekend. Never have I been so sketched out about getting robbed.
    Boubakiki>Tom Odell>Flatbush Zombies>GOAT>Austra>MS MR>Jagwar Ma>HAIM>Shlohmo>Bonobo>Woodkid>Bryan Ferry>The Knife>Outkast>
    Syd Arthur>Sander Kleinenberg>Temples>Guy Gerber>Julian Casablancas>Warpaint>Future Islands>Lorde>Pixies>Pharrell>Muse>
    Trombone Shorty>Fishbone>Poolside>Scuba>Rudimental>Blood Orange>ill-Esha>Aluna George>Little Dragon>The Toy Dolls>Lana Del Rey> Beck>Motorhead>Netsky>Arcade Fire

Lurker

Thank you so much for posting this warning. It is so easy to think that you are safe and nothing will happen at Coachella but the reality is that not everyone at Coachella is there "just to have fun." I will be more alert and aware for myself and my group but also for others in general. Look out for your fellow Festival Goer and hopefully they will do the same and always remember that a little bit of common sense goes a really long way.

Be wary of the trash management people, I've seen numerous shady workers during the night. Thankfully they have numbers this year so they can be identified and reported to whoever is in charge.

Yeah you definitely need to be aware of where your valuables are throught the day. I usually keep my camera and phone in my back pockets for easy access during the day, but at night they get switched to front pockets. I also carry a drawstring bag that I tie up at night and also switch to the front of my body in packed crowds. It kinda makes me look like a crazy pregnant dancing hippie or something, but I know no one has any chance of getting into it and also it helps when migrating into and out of dense crowds so I am not just thwacking people with it as i go by.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    I hope you socked her in the face.
    I second this.
    If you don't like it, we got two words for ya...

I was commenting to my boyfriend this weekend while cruising around the grounds that I think it would be extremely wise for GV to set up some sort of Google Wallet type of system embedded into the wristband RFD chip. Best case scenario would be for us to not have to carry any cash or cards around, and since we each already have a unique electronic id that is attached to our body, there would be little to no chance of fraud occuring. At least, it would be exponentially more difficult to steal someone's wristband than to steal their wallet.

keep shit you don't want to lose in your car.
    keep shit you don't want to lose but need to have in your front pockets.

it's not rocket science.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by mfg_9280 View Post
    Thank you so much for posting this warning. It is so easy to think that you are safe and nothing will happen at Coachella but the reality is that not everyone at Coachella is there "just to have fun." I will be more alert and aware for myself and my group but also for others in general. Look out for your fellow Festival Goer and hopefully they will do the same and always remember that a little bit of common sense goes a really long way.
    I saw so little of this over the weekend...it was sad.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I always use a travel belt at festivals. Always.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I have been reading through the FAQs, and I see no mention of pick pocketing. Maybe I should PM Psychic Friend about this.

I leave my man-purse at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

We were walking in from camping by the outside lost and found and as we walked by some dude was jumping up and down. He lost his wallet with $$$$ in it and someone turned it in with all the money. It might be karma gang........ cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine