Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Annual summary of the awesome and not awesome

Default Re: Annual summary of the awesome and not awesome

I haven't read any of the comments before me on purpose (will go back and read after I write this) because you NAILED it! As a family we sat in the obnoxious VIP (buy it for convenience and happy to hear they only had the one security check this year for the shuttle!) watching the cat walk "look at me" unwind. The Olsen Twins body guard cut in front of my husband in line trying to buy a drink even. I also agree that these gals/guys are being paid to be there. I wasn't sure what was more annoying, the Free People runway or the bro'ets that shoved their way where ever they wanted to go. I never heard a "thank you", "hi", or "excuse me" the entire weekend. I felt bad for some of the artists in the tents that had to compete with the op's before mentioned artists and played to a handful of people

I will add that I loved the art and the astronaut was wonderful! . Unfortunately I don't think we'll be back since we feel like we are a minority of music lovers being squeezed out of something we loved as a family.

Quote Originally Posted by chanelbowling View Post
    Anyone else notice how loud main was all weekend? I would be at outdoor at numerous different times of the festival and could hear main perfectly clear for MGMT, Foster The People etc etc. I'm surprised to not see more posts about it.
    The prevailing winds carry sound from the Main to Outdoor. As a general rule it is not good to be on the left side of Outdoor.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    The outdoor got louder as you walked away from it.
    The Outdoor gets a good boost from the additional speaker towers. And obviously for either stage the sound quality and loudness depends on how close you are to any set of speakers (seems obvious, but judging from some posts on here, like Suki above who heard the speakers "going in and out," people seem to expect uniform sound quality on a wind swept open field). If it doesn't sound good, move and until it improves. Unless it is Calvin Harris - terrible at any range, as I learned while walking between Mojave and Gobi during his set.

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    Yes, since Chance The Rapper runs the festival and all.
    When Justin Bieber headlines within the next few years you'll cry on my shoulder.

But maybe not, because I probably won't plunk down without seeing the lineup going forward.

The future of Coachella has been foreshadowed and it does not include guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    When Justin Bieber headlines within the next few years you'll cry on my shoulder.

But maybe not, because I probably won't plunk down without seeing the lineup going forward.

The future of Coachella has been foreshadowed and it does not include guitars.
    This is exactly what my son said Sunday night.

I heard that you and your band sold your guitars and bought turntables.

Quote Originally Posted by M0D3Z View Post
    Saturday nights sand storm and the lowering of the speekers (Muse was depressingly quiet
    What's the other option, though? Leave them up and risk having people crushed should something go wrong? It was a stressful night for GV as they were making decisions on what route to go.

I think we've learned well enough what happens when promoters do nothing during high winds the past few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

VIP security for exiting to get to the main stage was BULLSHIT!! wouldnt allow any liquid out, even if it was unopened pressed juice or unopened water!!!!

also the screens at the outdoor stage should be higher up. even pretty close to the stage i can barley see the screens. i had the best view if i was sitting all the way back where the food was.
    Last edited by Hayleymoo; 04-16-2014 at 01:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Passion Pit drew the biggest congregation of white people that couldn't dance that I've ever seen.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hayleymoo View Post
    VIP security for exiting to get to the main stage was BULLSHIT!! wouldnt allow any liquid out, even if it was unopened pressed juice or unopened water!!!!
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Hayleymoo View Post
    also the screens at the outdoor stage should be higher up. even pretty close to the stage i can barley see the screens.
    I don't even know where to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I don't even know where to start.
    Why did the grain have a bad time at Coachella? It could BARLEY see.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

What's strange about the lineup is just how much of an about-face it is compared to last year. There wasn't a single DJ or "pop-star" in the top two lines last year. Sure, there were some pop friendly indie acts, but if anything that lineup read like battle cry to serious music fans. What changed? This thing sells out no matter what, so why not just let Paul book whoever the hell he wants?

it's not a real record store this year? shit, im' going weekend 2 and i was looking forward to using my afternoon time to buy some record store day stuff and browse :~(

Re: the lineup. I too agree that it was not the best this year. I still saw plenty of good sets but those sets were like oases of goodness in a desert of shit. Too much EDM for one thing, we have two full tents and the Do Lab already dedicated to that style of music, we don't need every other set on the other stages to be EDM as well. Ease back on that. I'm still going to preorder without seeing the lineup this year so I can do the layaway payment plan in hopes that this year was a fluke, but if we get a lineup similar to this again next year I'll have to seriously rethink that policy.

Also here's one nobody has mentioned yet. Not awesome: the merch booth. Seriously like 50% of the space is taken up by official Coachella merchandise now. Either scale back how much official shit you're selling or move it to a separate booth, there wasn't nearly enough space for artist merch. Also, maybe try organizing the artist merch in a way other than "random shit everywhere". It takes longer to try and find the shirts you want than it does to actually stand in line and buy them. Do better with merch in the future, it's an important way to support the smaller name artists that are playing the festival.

Postitive:

I felt like this was an exceptional Coachella overall. It was almost perfect for me, other than Outkast taking a shit on the Coachella stage. I wasn't bothered once by a flower-adorned girl or a fist pumping bro, and with eight stages, I don't give a shit if Alesso is playing in the Sahara while I'm at AlunaGeorge, or Calvin Harris is on the main stage while I'm at Little Dragon. Everyone seemed so chill this year and the crowds, sets, art, food, bathrooms, lines, were great.

Negative:

I have exactly one. So we stayed Sunday until Arcade Fire finally stopped playing around 12:15. Took our time walking back to the lockers, cleaned everything out, traded in the key and began walking back to the shuttles. This was around 12:45. My wife needed to use the restroom so we walked back just inside the gate to the women's portos near the Ferris wheel with full permission from security. Suddenly a wall of security guards start sweeping through with one woman literally bashing her fists against every single toilet door screaming to "GET OUT LADIES" "COACHELLA IS CLOSED! GET OUT NOWWWWW" They start demanding that I leave the fest and I'm all "Umm, Noooope. My wife is taking a leak and will be out in like two minutes. I don't want to get separated from her." and they get all in my face saying shit like I'll go to jail if I don't leave and this and that. I refused to move and was surrounded by 15 dudes in yellow and black shirts trying to intimidate me into leaving my wife in the fucking port-o-potties...meanwhile a woman is banging the shit out of her door while she's desperately trying to finish and get out of there. FUCKING RIDICULOUS. Treated us like criminals.

In years past, security has been fairly chill about telling us it's time to leave but these people were being completely unreasonable, making (laughable) threats, and repeatedly bashing bathroom doors. Saw a few woman dashing away from the bathrooms with horrified looks on their faces. It was complete bullshit and tarnished an otherwise brilliant Coachella.

10/02 Beck - Stubb's
    10/03 The Preatures - Holy Mountain
    10/11 J Roddy Walston - Stubb's
    11/7,8,9 Fun Fun Fun - Auditorium Shores
    11/17 Blonde Redhead - The Mohawk
    11/23 Caribou, Jessy Lanza - The Mohawk
    11/26 FKA Twigs - The Parish

07, 08, 09, 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1

Yeah I saw a lot of security this year that were on a total power trip. "Show me your wristbands NOW!" "STOP! Do NOT cross the street right now... Okay, GO, HURRY UP, MOVE IT ALONG!" Seriously pretty sad that they need to yell and be douchey to feel good about their lives.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Sorry y'all had a bad time with security. All of the security people I interacted with were really friendly and pretty patient.
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

I'm pissed I wasn't interviewed for the CAMP magazine.

I hate to be that guy, but I have no cons. I always go Weekend 1, and did so this year as well, so I have no comments about Weekend 2 and what lacked during those days.

With that said, this was my 10th Coachella, with the biggest camping group to date (the family keeps growing!), and inarguably my most amazing year yet.

Besides, as one of the first timers I brought this year said, it's like the Coachella team thinks of everything you could do to make a festival better and actually does it with almost flawless execution.

Well done, Goldenvoice.

This Year's Pros:

- Beer Garden
    - Do Lab location
    - Gobi makeover (maybe some love for the Mojave next year?)
    - Yuma (so perfect - shark disco ball? I love you, Goldenvoice)
    - Art (all of it)
    - Camping (who the hell thinks of all of those activities and perks? camping is half of the fun I have at Coachella)
    - Park-type area between the Do Lab and Beer Garden with all of the trees. I absolutely loved laying on that grass
    - Silent Disco: so much fun
    - Entry into the campgrounds and festival: Practically no wait for either, and I actually have a lot of great things to say about the security this year (as opposed to some of the comments from others)

Anyways, 10th year, loved it, buying my ticket on presale for 2015, and I can't wait to be back.

Thank you, Goldenvoice, for really making an effort at making Coachella my favorite festival ever, every year.

p.s. WTF was up with the wind? Get that shit under control, please.
    '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14... '15!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    Sounds like a mashup of Benny Benassi, Spice Girls, and feces. I was really hoping for a Paris Hilton DJ set :/
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Just wait. I bet at the Sigma Chi chapter meeting this Sunday the brothers unanimously vote to do Sahara Semiformal at Weekend 2 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by untzcrate View Post
    p.s. WTF was up with the wind? Get that shit under control, please.
    ummm... how exactly do you expect them to do that?
    Coachella 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2)...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Flowers are born to die, bro

craft beer, letting the old guy in without tossing my stuff, Yuma

Power trip security on the way out (lot 7). "I'm going to make them wait till 2:30am since people tried to leave before 2am"

Quote Originally Posted by AeroplaneJunkie View Post
    it's not a real record store this year? shit, im' going weekend 2 and i was looking forward to using my afternoon time to buy some record store day stuff and browse :~(
    there was one near the lockers, though it was kinda easy to miss. bummed that it was only vinyl though
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveChoi View Post
    One thing I do need to get off my chest

Apologies to Freddy Prinze Jr for Cursing him out in 2012 when all that chaos unfolded.. I was a total prick to you and I was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    I'm pissed I wasn't interviewed for the CAMP magazine.
    Fucking DITTO.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by electrocute View Post
    ummm... how exactly do you expect them to do that?
    I don't know, but the wind seriously has me doubting Coachella for next year. I'm thinking Roo... or something more like, clean, you know? I really think the festival organizers dropped the ball on this one.
    '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14... '15!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    Sounds like a mashup of Benny Benassi, Spice Girls, and feces. I was really hoping for a Paris Hilton DJ set :/
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Just wait. I bet at the Sigma Chi chapter meeting this Sunday the brothers unanimously vote to do Sahara Semiformal at Weekend 2 2015.

I don't see how you can blame the festival organizers for the wind and weather... it's really not something humans can control, no matter what they do. I'm sure they would love to "fix" that but there's really nothing to be done on their part. Nobody "dropped the ball" because there really isn't a ball to drop there...

I would suggest going to Weekend 2, because for whatever reason, it always has way nicer weather (knock on wood). Or as you mentioned, finding a diff festival to try.

Quote Originally Posted by electrocute View Post
    I don't see how you can blame the festival organizers for the wind and weather... it's really not something humans can control, no matter what they do. I'm sure they would love to "fix" that but there's really nothing to be done on their part. Nobody "dropped the ball" because there really isn't a ball to drop there...

I would suggest going to Weekend 2, because for whatever reason, it always has way nicer weather (knock on wood). Or as you mentioned, finding a diff festival to try.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sarcasm

sarcasm is like sooooo funny

The notion that WK2 "always has nicer weather" is fucking stupid. Extrapolation from three data points into broad generalities is the realm of the incompetent. You should be at Bonnaroo.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

We HAVE had two seriously windy weekend ones in a row.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
    What's strange about the lineup is just how much of an about-face it is compared to last year. There wasn't a single DJ or "pop-star" in the top two lines last year. Sure, there were some pop friendly indie acts, but if anything that lineup read like battle cry to serious music fans. What changed? This thing sells out no matter what, so why not just let Paul book whoever the hell he wants?
    True - but look at the 2012 line up. Way worse in terms of the big radio DJs/producers.

Maybe we'll start seeing a two year cycle for these things - I'm praying for that at least!
    10/2 - Elton John - SAP Center
    10/3-10/5 - Hardly Strictly Bluegrass - GGP
    10/4 - Conor Oberst - Fillmore
    10/6 - Kasabian + Bo Ningen - Fox
    10/21 - Melvins + Le Butcherettes - GAMH
    11/1 - Hard Day of the Dead - Fairplex
    12/12 - Cat Stevens - Masonic Center
    4/17-4/19 - Coachella weekend 2