Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Annual summary of the awesome and not awesome

Default Re: Annual summary of the awesome and not awesome

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    We HAVE had two seriously windy weekend ones in a row.
    THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The notion that WK2 "always has nicer weather" is fucking stupid. Extrapolation from three data points into broad generalities is the realm of the incompetent. You should be at Bonnaroo.
    Whoahwhoahwhoah no need to throw around the B-word here!

I didn't say that was always going to be the case, I just said that's how it's been so far, and that I hope it continues. Maybe I should have worded it more cautiously, but you can't argue that my theory is wrong, based on the evidence thus far (though admittedly there's only 3 years to go on).
    Last edited by electrocute; 04-29-2014 at 12:25 PM.
    Coachella 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2)...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Flowers are born to die, bro

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE
    What do you expect? I mean...seriously.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I agree with everything said so far. My #1 awesome new addition was the CRAFT BEER. This place saved my life several times!

I haven't heard much mention of the campground....but I thought that the new things they brought in were great. I liked the expanded stage for Super Tall Paul (man, that is one weird show to be at when you are coming down at 3am). I also liked the chill tent that was open until 4am. I don't know who I saw in there, it was just one guy with a guitar and some electronic instruments - but he was great. Perfect ambient music that had me floating off into space for a bit. All of the little houses along Main Street were really fucking cool. What a nice touch....some killer art installations in the campground really brought things to a new level.

Of course, there were all of the old complaints about the campground....like long shower lines, too much noise and loud shit going on all night, and long lines for a shower in the morning, but this was to be expected. You just plan for it and adjust.

Justin fucking Bieber? WTF. If Miley Cyrus shows up next year, I am pretty much done. I paid too much for my ticket to have to see that shit. Austin City Limits festival was only $225 for a three day weekend. I can afford two weekends in Austin for the price of one weekend at Coachella, and it seems to have more integrity.
    They heard me singing and they told me to STOP.

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    Justin fucking Bieber? WTF. If Miley Cyrus shows up next year, I am pretty much done. I paid too much for my ticket to have to see that shit.
    Did you actually "see that shit" though? I mean, seriously, for all the people bitching about it on the boards... how many actually witnessed this and had it ruin every other awesome thing about their weekend?

The level of concern over a shit "artist" joining another shit artist on stage on this board by people who will talk about how many other awesome things they saw over the weekend boggles my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    Did you actually "see that shit" though? I mean, seriously, for all the people bitching about it on the boards... how many actually witnessed this and had it ruin every other awesome thing about their weekend?

The level of concern over a shit "artist" joining another shit artist on stage on this board by people who will talk about how many other awesome things they saw over the weekend boggles my mind.
    Honestly, I did see it weekend 1 and it put me in an instant bad mood. I walked away from the stage and it took me pretty much until Blood Orange at 5pm to recover. Blood Orange into Aluna into Little Dragon into Beck saved Sunday first weekend.

As far as improvements, pretty much everything has been covered. Except, I would like to mention how awesome the constant improvement was; watching the "patio" section of Yuma turn from a relatively bare area with a drink cart, a pizza cart and 12 portopotties first weekend to a DOPE area with hanging christmas lights, speakers outside, TWO airconditioned restroom trailers PER GENDER, picnic tables, etc etc.

They did this throughout the weekend, adding misters to many area in weekend 2 where they were not in weekend 1. I thought this was brilliant to watch and it really shows that they have tons of people on the grounds taking into account various problems that arise. Every year is better.

Now for the bad: Why was my group ushered in Lot 4 weekend 2.... I almost knew it was going to happen. I tried everything I could to avoid it but I knew it would happen. It's not that Lot 4 was bad (pretty quiet overall, compared to lot 8) but the bathroom situation sucked. Only like 8 stalls for guys and there was a fat line in the morning. We bring our own shower so I can't comment on the shower situation.

I just know that I will lead my camping crew next year and if someone tries to push us to lot 4 again I will raise hell. It's a bullshit move for people that arrive early. ESPECIALLY during week 2 when there was for some random reason very little campers showing up early. The other times I've camped the entire field where the lines are has been pretty full and moving slowly; showing up week 2 at 11am there was absolutely noooo oooone. Like 50 cars maybe. Very weird.

Anyway, another near perfect year. I will keep coming back as long as I can. Yes it's gotten popular and there is a lot of bullshit to be had; JUST AVOID THAT SHIT. there is a ton of music to see; enough for 3 weekends. Go see it. You will avoid the terrible crowds.

P.S. Week 2 is way too money. If you have to go only 1, go week 2. It's worth it. I know you miss a ton of guests and for people who really care about all that hollywood shit then yeah I guess go week 1; if you like good music and you want to see as much as you can, week 2 is it.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Honestly, I did see it weekend 1 and it put me in an instant bad mood. I walked away from the stage and it took me pretty much until Blood Orange at 5pm to recover. Blood Orange into Aluna into Little Dragon into Beck saved Sunday first weekend
    Ignoring how incredibly emo one would have to be to let that shit sour their mood for over an hour... I would put good money on you being in the minority here of people who actually witnessed Bieber showing up on stage...

Either way, I was happily bouncing along to Classixx while this happened... Pleased as punch that Nancy Whang joined them on stage to close out the set.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

"Don't make life harder on yourself, Chang."
    "It's Whang."
    "Whatever. How's the tennis season going?"
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

So over the complaining about camp lot placement. Nowhere on the site, nowhere, does it say early arrival entitles one to a specific lot.

Not awesome: 8 porta pottys in the corner for Lot 4....seriously? There were 8 fucking dudes in one camp for crying out loud. How is 8 porta pottys even considered reasonable for an entire fucking block/corner of a camping area.

Ignoring how incredibly emo one would have to be to let that shit sour their mood for over an hour...
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    So over the complaining
    wa wa wa. yikes.

For one, "emo"? Alright. "soured my mood"? There was not much going on. I walked around, tried to meet up with people, putzed around more and watched Blood Orange and had a perfect end to Sunday. Relax.

So over complaining? This is a thread about the not awesome... I apologize not all of us stay in an onsite RV. I try to camp well and our crew does pretty well for ourselves. This year was our best despite our shitty placement weekend 2. Weekend 1 we arrived at 9am and were put at 105th street. Our friends arrived at 9:10 and were on 153th. I understand it's a crapshoot but before noon they could try and fill up the close spots. It's only fair.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Not awesome: 8 porta pottys in the corner for Lot 4....seriously? There were 8 fucking dudes in one camp for crying out loud. How is 8 porta pottys even considered reasonable for an entire fucking block/corner of a camping area.
    Word. It was very rough. They cleaned them regularly but I chose to use the bathrooms in the venue for the most part.

For one, "emo"? Alright. "soured my mood"? There was not much going on. I walked around, tried to meet up with people, putzed around more and watched Blood Orange and had a perfect end to Sunday. Relax.
    "it put me in an instant bad mood" were your words... if that's an exaggeration, fine... it's a message board... clearly, tone isn't always effectively conveyed... But if someone actually was put in a bad mood, because an artist who had collaborated in the past with Justin Bieber brought him on stage... that's someone whose mindset is fragile at best. Thus the "emo" comment.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    This. This was incredibly not awesome. On Thursday night, the 8 women's portas in lot 4 were DISGUSTING and they weren't cleaned up on Friday morning. Filled to the brim disgusting. I saw an obscene amount of poop not anywhere close to the lid/seat/actual toilet. Which isn't the fault of GV, just a pleasant reminder that women are filthy.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Was Lot 4 any better (besides the woeful lack of portapotties) this year than in past years?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Isn't all the shit about celebrities being paid to be at Coachella a hoax, or at least a completely unconfirmed rumor. The publicists for celebrities and the brands supposedly paying them are all flatly denying it.

See, e.g., http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...s-stars-694165

"Glee actress Lea Michele is said to be receiving $20,000 from Lacoste to wear the French fashion label's clothes, reports New York Daily News, but since the story broke her representative and a spokesperson for Lacoste vehemently dispute the story. A Lacoste publicist tells THR "this story is 100 percent false.""

Awesome- Andre wearing the "sold out" tag on his wrist.
    Not Awesome - Getting drooled on at Girl Talk by mollied out, unattractive female

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Was Lot 4 any better (besides the woeful lack of portapotties) this year than in past years?
    Yes.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Yes.
    Agreed; lot 4 definitely seemed better than recent years (where people have been complaining about the ground, ants, etc etc.) Really the only complaint has to be the bathroom situation. It was just weird, as if they forgot a block of bathrooms.

"it put me in an instant bad mood" were your words... if that's an exaggeration, fine... it's a message board... clearly, tone isn't always effectively conveyed... But if someone actually was put in a bad mood, because an artist who had collaborated in the past with Justin Bieber brought him on stage... that's someone whose mindset is fragile at best. Thus the "emo" comment.
    Well, watching thousands of idiot girls and guys rush the stage at the mention of JBiebs isn't going to put you in a good mood.

on the contrary, watching them do it to paft dunk put me in a great mood

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    Justin fucking Bieber? WTF. If Miley Cyrus shows up next year, I am pretty much done. I paid too much for my ticket to have to see that shit. Austin City Limits festival was only $225 for a three day weekend. I can afford two weekends in Austin for the price of one weekend at Coachella, and it seems to have more integrity.
    Honestly, I did see it weekend 1 and it put me in an instant bad mood. I walked away from the stage and it took me pretty much until Blood Orange at 5pm to recover.
    Were you upset that you saw Justin Bieber or that you realized the artist you were watching has a horrible sense of who he should be collaborating with?

Also, I have absolutely no idea why you should hate on the festival dj12, I dont believe they ask for specific guests to come out. You should probably stop wanting to watch bands that have even the slightest possibility of bringing on Justin Bieber/Miley Cyrus onstage.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrank View Post
    Were you upset that you saw Justin Bieber or that you realized the artist you were watching has a horrible sense of who he should be collaborating with?
    A bit of both. I didn't know that Chance has a song with Beiber. If I did, I probably would have known he would potentially come out. Instead, it was very much a WTF moment in an otherwise high-energy, fun set. I was just like what?? alright let's go see scuba.

As we walk away, thousands and thousands of screaming idiots (all the ones people complain about) rush the stage, fawning over Justin Beiber; meanwhile the guy is out there for about 1 minute and sings only 10 words. It just left a bad taste in my mouth. I completely understand the reasoning behind Chance wanting to collab with Beiber and bring him out at chella; that 1 minute single-handedly garnered Chance a lot of new fans (who are idiots).

Well, watching thousands of idiot girls and guys rush the stage at the mention of JBiebs isn't going to put you in a good mood.
    Well that's where we differ then... Cause at that point, you're choosing to let that put you in a bad mood... It's not like they killed your cat.

Pro: Good times as usual

Con: We went around the festival grounds 3 times or more trying to get someone who knew about ADA camping. We were actually told by 2 GV people (or security) that there wasn't any ADA camping. In the end we got row 101 about 50 steps to the gate . It was funny because all of 8 was filled and most of what else we saw even sort of close. So we follow a truck thru all of the people who are already camped and set up right to a perfect spot.

Security told us we couldn't use our propane stove at all. NO OPEN FIRES they said. We just waited till they pulled away and cranked up the stove. BTW did you see the mother friggin grills they let into Stagecoach? Are we step children or something?

We had our usual problem bringing in water to the festival, even unopened ones. After the first day they just smiled because they knew us and didn't even check.

cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Are we step children or something?
    Is that you, Woody Allen?

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamthehorn View Post
    Is that you, Woody Allen?
    3/10
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    3/10
    Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthehorn View Post
    Damn.
    That's actually not that bad for this board. If you ask mja, he'll probably tell you the average comment is somewhere around the .5-1.0 range.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Quote Originally Posted by electrocute View Post
    I don't see how you can blame the festival organizers for the wind and weather... it's really not something humans can control, no matter what they do. I'm sure they would love to "fix" that but there's really nothing to be done on their part. Nobody "dropped the ball" because there really isn't a ball to drop there...

I would suggest going to Weekend 2, because for whatever reason, it always has way nicer weather (knock on wood). Or as you mentioned, finding a diff festival to try.
    LOL! I didn't think anyone would actually take my post seriously. I'm in tears right now.

glad to be of service
    Coachella 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2)...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Flowers are born to die, bro