Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Annual summary of the awesome and not awesome

Default Annual summary of the awesome and not awesome

GV does, apparently, read your feedback and try to work to make things better year after year...so here's my annual list.

Awesome:

1) The Terrace expansion was really really great. Not sure how many of you noticed, but on Sunday, PERMANENT BATHROOMS opened their doors behind the porta potty area, right across from the Yuma. Regular flushing toilets, real sinks, etc. It was so great because no one really seemed to know it was there yet so it was sort of empty.

-----Putting the Do Lab in the back of the terrace area right across from the area is a stroke of genius. Corrals that horrible bumping to one area--which means the only sound bleed from the Do Lab now is into the Sahara.
    -----Expanded Yuma. Well done. Even when it looked like a line, it wasn't a line. It was just a long walk in around stanchions.
    -----The Craft Beer barn. Best thing Coachella has done maybe ever. Seriously, thank you.
    -----Artisan food vendors. If Beer Belly was near my house, I'd be there every day eating that grilled cheese with bacon and maple syrup.

2) I heard there was a parking lot nightmare on Friday night. We didn't experience this because we left a bit early, but we stayed till the bitter end on Saturday and Sunday, and on both nights from the time we left our locker till the time we got through the front door, only 30 minutes elapsed. That was pretty great.

3) I think they are trying out the idea of air conditioning the Gobi? The Gobi now has side flaps around the perimeter of the tent like they used to back in the day. But the tent was draped with black curtains and chandeliers. Then I noticed on Sunday that even though it was super hot out, it was kind of cool and breezy in there. Then as I was walking back into it on Sunday night, I saw what looked like a generator or air conditioning unit outside of the tent, fenced off and being guarded by security. If they aren't trying to experiment with air conditioning, this new feature goes on the not awesome list...because on Friday, it was hot as shit in there because there was no breeze getting in.

4) Lines to get in were super easy. Never waited to get in. Security checks were relatively painless.

5) More water stations for free water fillups.

6) Portapotties were almost always clean.

Not Awesome:

1) The radio-friendly lineup. My initial reaction to the lineup was underwhelming, but I chalked it up to the fact that I knew about some of those surprises ahead of time so it wasn't a big "wow". I saw some great sets, but my schedule was far from packed. I mostly wanted to spend a lot of my day in the beer garden...a first for me. The fact of the matter is this: yes, it's a festival and it should be expected that there will be things on the lineup that are unsavory, but when you tip the scales in favor of large ticket sales, you're tipping the scales for the unsavories to attend. Bitches with flowers in their hair pushing their way through NMH to get a spot for Lana Del Rey. Assholes in native headwear. Tucker Gumber. Drunk locals only there because they have easy access to tickets and they live in an unbearable shithole, so why not go? The crowd difference between this year and last year was drastically different. And I didn't watch any of these acts (except maybe for Lorde, but we were off on the side and didn't really have a bad experience). But you still have to deal with them while walking around. Or when they're waiting for whatever terrible bullshit that is coming up next. Coachella is almost close to turning into like the I Heart Radio festival. Any year that you have fucking Lana Del Rey and JUSTIN BEIBER hit a stage at Coachella...well, maybe you need to look at what your festival has become. I've defended them for years, but the Sleigh Bells/Skrillex/Calvin Harris/Lana/etc. terribleness has just gone too far. Just book Katy Perry next year and surrender; put us out of our misery.

2) Speaking of celebrities, fuck this "celebrities getting paid to be there" shit. I know it's not the festival doing this, but it's just more evidence of what it's become. Celebrities. Rich people. The 1%. $30k millionaires. Being seen versus being there for the music. Disgusting. Win Butler nailed it right on the head.

3) Lou the locker guy needs to get new lockers. The ones he has are beat to shit. Had to have him crowbar it open at least twice.

4) It was a stroke of genius to put the Do Lab back with the Sahara. All they need is their own entrance and they'll never leave the back of the festival, right? Wellllll...yes. That would work as long as you leave the shit back there. But when you SCHEDULE GIRL TALK AND CALVIN SHIT HARRIS ON THE MAIN STAGE, you totally kill that strategy.

5) Speaking of scheduling...the Replacements and Bryan Ferry conflict was hands down the dumbest conflict ever.

For the first time ever, my attendance next year will depend solely on the lineup. Or maybe I'm just burned out and need a break. Last year at this time, I was looking for W2 tickets because I had so much fun and I wanted to go right back out there. This year, I can't be paid to leave my couch during W2. For the most part, the only fun I had was while visiting with people. I was watching one of my favorite bands and couldn't escape the talking to even enjoy it.

This festival costs us a fortune (not that we can't afford it, and not that we can't do it cheaper than we do it, but we do it the way we want it) and it's just not worth it if I'm going to want to be in the beer garden most of the time.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 04-15-2014 at 08:26 AM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Default Re: Annual summary of the awesome and not awesome

ok added/updated
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

1%er's

I'll pay you to get off the couch, Capt'n. If you promise to bring some of that sea salt ice cream with caramel ribbon.

Not awesome: keeping a whole section for Vendor entrance/exit at the end of the night Friday.

Jim and I snuck past the "guards" and we were told that our wristbands had just been deactivated and we wouldn't be able to enter on Saturday. That was funny.

Mmm, or the grilled cheese with bacon & maple syrup.
    I'm going this weekend & now am going to add that to me must list.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Gay is the answer to everything.

The 'Not Awesome' list is tiny bananas this year compared to years past. Well done GV.

Sand down those wooden picnic table benches. I slid over Friday night and spent the next 30 minutes pulling splinters out of my ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Lurker

There wasn't nearly as much fuckery with ins/outs at the beer garden this year. 2013 they were taking away your water bottles for ins/outs and it slowed up the line. They didn't take my water this year. However, they did switch wristbands for Sunday. WTF.

Really eye opening. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    GV does, apparently, read your feedback and try to work to make things better year after year.
    The entire CAMP magazine was based on this message board. They pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by hotpantsdiva View Post
    There wasn't nearly as much fuckery with ins/outs at the beer garden this year. 2013 they were taking away your water bottles for ins/outs and it slowed up the line. They didn't take my water this year. However, they did switch wristbands for Sunday. WTF.
    I sort of assumed that maybe a bunch of the white and green ones were stolen or something.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

As far as the fest is concerned I had no real complaints this year. Seems most of the complaints from last year were addressed. I also really enjoyed the art this year. Only issues I had was with the crowd being so ungodly awful this year, but the only way to fix that is to have a less bro-friendly lineup.

This is also just my personal opinion, but on pretty much all 3 days the afternoons were filled with several 2 hour blocks of nothing for me. I also spent more time in the beer gardens then ever before, or I'd go into the Yuma to escape the heat. Probably just a reflection of my opinion of the lineup, but it felt like everything I wanted to see was either at the beginning of the day or after sunset.

Also, not sure if Coachella is to thank for this, but I had great phone reception all weekend. Only time it ever went out was during some super packed sets but for the most part it was running flawlessly.
    Last edited by nathanfairchild; 04-15-2014 at 09:13 AM.

October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    January 31 - Mayhem/Watain

Quote Originally Posted by hotpantsdiva View Post
    However, they did switch wristbands for Sunday. WTF.
    There was a box of wristbands stolen Friday night i guess or Saturday morning. I was carded even with a wristband and they said they were switching to green sunday due to this. Kinda sucked.

Pros: Do Lab Location, expanded terrace, beer garden and the cost of the beer ($10 for a really good tasting beer is not bad), food selection, Sahara production, Yuma tent and its disco shark, the bathrooms (especially the ones in the trailers with running water), the houses in the campgrounds.

Cons: The wood chips and bark on the walk from Lot 4, Outkast's energy, Saturday nights sand storm and the lowering of the speekers (Muse was depressingly quiet), Lana Del Rey and her retarded crowd of fuck heads, the shitty security at the beer garden between main and outdoor, lack of David Bowie during AF.

there are probably a few mor things that i am missing, but these all stood out for me. Overall it was a great weekend and had a blast, except friday when a brownie kicked the shit out of me for a few hours. wonder what they plan to do next year to enhance the festival.

I was glad they switched wristbands for drinking....normally sunday has so many f'n kids in there it's sick
    I didn't like having to get another one, but it was worth it so little kidos couldn't use their buddies from the night before
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Yeah, I had no issue with switching 21+ wristbands on Sunday. If we had to do that everyday, it might have become a problem though.

I go back and forth on the lineup. On the one hand, we got Arcade Fire, QOTSA, Beck, The Replacements and The Knife as 5 of the top 9 acts on the bill, which is pretty sweet. I also thought there was a quality act on at nearly any time.

However, you hit the nail on the head with the "crowd type" that was attracted this year. I think the festival trended much younger this year and this is the first time I ever actually ran into major tools at the festival. For example, I was heading into the beer gardens, and two guys obnoxiously shoved in front of a lot of people including me and my girlfriend. I politely told him "hey man, we've been waiting and you cut us, can you get behind us?" and he told me "one love, bro, two people ain't going to make a lot of difference for you, relax." I told him "one love doesn't sound like it means you should be cutting people" and he started cussing at me. That's the type of crowd that came this year.

I don't understand it really - GV will sell this out almost immediately even if Deerhunter, St. Vincent and Cloud Nothings headlined next year. It seems disappointing to me, then, that the festival chose so many cheesy DJs and pop acts this year. I think someone nailed it on the head when they said the main stage this year was pretty much a KROQ Weenie Roast. Still plenty of acts to see, but felt that the inclusion of some of these acts made certain stages/areas uninhabitable and generally hindered the experience a bit. 2013 I think walked the perfect line between getting so many great rock/indie acts while throwing the rest of the crowd just enough cheese for it not to take over the fest.

Don't want to sound like a pretentious message board prick, but you get the crowd you ask for when you bill Skrillex, Calvin Harris, Lana Del Rey, Zedd, etc. so highly. Coachella has gotten a lot of bad publicity the last two years between whiffing on the Stones, OutKast's rough reunion, celebrities getting paid to attend, Justin Beiber, etc. Would be nice to see a much cleaner bill next year.

For the first time ever, my attendance next year will depend solely on the lineup. Or maybe I'm just burned out and need a break. Last year at this time, I was looking for W2 tickets because I had so much fun and I wanted to go right back out there. This year, I can't be paid to leave my couch during W2. For the most part, the only fun I had was while visiting with people. I was watching one of my favorite bands and couldn't escape the talking to even enjoy it.
    This was me after last year. I feel much more positive this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Also, Jen, I am surprised that you put "radio-friendly lineup" at the top of your con list, given the degree of enthusiasm you had for Pet Shop Boys. PSB were the Foster the People of their day.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    As far as the fest is concerned I had no real complaints this year. Seems most of the complaints from last year were addressed. I also really enjoyed the art this year. Only issues I had was with the crowd being so ungodly awful this year, but the only way to fix that is to have a less bro-friendly lineup.

This is also just my personal opinion, but on pretty much all 3 days the afternoons were filled with several 2 hour blocks of nothing for me. I also spent more time in the beer gardens then ever before, or I'd go into the Yuma to escape the heat. Probably just a reflection of my opinion of the lineup, but it felt like everything I wanted to see was either at the beginning of the day or after sunset.

Also, not sure if Coachella is to thank for this, but I had great phone reception all weekend. Only time it ever went out was during some super packed sets but for the most part it was running flawlessly.
    This was true for me as well, and it led to the lowest total number of bands I've seen over a weekend in a very, very long time - I think I saw 8 or 9 acts on Sunday, and I honestly can't remember the last time I didn't go above double figures on a given day. Most of the acts I did see were fantastic, though, but man there was a lot of idle downtime (thank fuck for the Terrace!).

Please bring back Zia. The record store was a joke this year.

October 29 - The Melvins
    November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod

GV does, apparently, read your feedback and try to work to make things better year after year...so here's my annual list.

Awesome:

1) The Terrace expansion was really really great. Not sure how many of you noticed, but on Sunday, PERMANENT BATHROOMS opened their doors behind the porta potty area, right across from the Yuma. Regular flushing toilets, real sinks, etc. It was so great because no one really seemed to know it was there yet so it was sort of empty.
    they only had bathrooms for women open unless they opened the men's LATE on Sunday. my wife used those and took a picture of the inside. looked like a goddamn spaceship. really cool of them to explore more permanent structures for sure though.
    4) Lines to get in were super easy. Never waited to get in. Security checks were relatively painless.
    i lost my wallet on Sunday and it took almost 45 minutes to get in at 1:30 just to check the lost and found. the guards were being WAY too thorough with their searches. they seemed to speed up after what i assume was some kind of higher-up asked me how long i had been in line and told him "35 minutes, and the line wasn't even this long when I started".
    5) More water stations for free water fillups.
    pretty sure it was the same number of stations, they just marked them all correctly this year. last year there was a filling station in the terrace area that wasn't marked on the festival map so it wasn't very busy usually.
    6) Portapotties were almost always clean.
    this a thousand times. they really stepped up the frequency of cleaning the the bathrooms this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Please bring back Zia. The record store was a joke this year.
    i kept looking for the signing schedule until I realized it wasn't Zia this year. finally checked it out on Sunday out of sheer boredom. my boredom was not cured. completely terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Thanks for the insight, Jen. I didn't know if it was just me trying to be more up to speed w/real time info or not, but all the shit I saw online during the weekend was overwhelmingly pop culture trendy shit. I know there's some degree of that every year but this year it seemed excessive. I try not to draw conclusions based on what I see on the stream or read about online, because there is a lot that it isn't shown or covered, but I feel like I would've spent way more time this year eating food and drinking beer had I gone, which given the addition of the beer and food options would have been fucking awesome. I would love to go back and it seems like the changes that have been made (moving of the do lab, better food/beer options, larger yuma tent, etc) help create a more enjoyable weekend. But the fucking lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Awesome:

-----Putting the Do Lab in the back of the terrace area right across from the area is a stroke of genius. Corrals that horrible bumping to one area--which means the only sound bleed from the Do Lab now is into the Sahara.
    -----Expanded Yuma. Well done. Even when it looked like a line, it wasn't a line. It was just a long walk in around stanchions.
    -----The Craft Beer barn. Best thing Coachella has done maybe ever. Seriously, thank you.
    -----Artisan food vendors. If Beer Belly was near my house, I'd be there every day eating that grilled cheese with bacon and maple syrup.

Not Awesome:

1) The radio-friendly lineup. My initial reaction to the lineup was underwhelming, but I chalked it up to the fact that I knew about some of those surprises ahead of time so it wasn't a big "wow". I saw some great sets, but my schedule was far from packed. I mostly wanted to spend a lot of my day in the beer garden...a first for me. The fact of the matter is this: yes, it's a festival and it should be expected that there will be things on the lineup that are unsavory, but when you tip the scales in favor of large ticket sales, you're tipping the scales for the unsavories to attend. Bitches with flowers in their hair pushing their way through NMH to get a spot for Lana Del Rey. Assholes in native headwear. Tucker Gumber. Drunk locals only there because they have easy access to tickets and they live in an unbearable shithole, so why not go? The crowd difference between this year and last year was drastically different. And I didn't watch any of these acts (except maybe for Lorde, but we were off on the side and didn't really have a bad experience). But you still have to deal with them while walking around. Or when they're waiting for whatever terrible bullshit that is coming up next. Coachella is almost close to turning into like the I Heart Radio festival. Any year that you have fucking Lana Del Rey and JUSTIN BEIBER hit a stage at Coachella...well, maybe you need to look at what your festival has become. I've defended them for years, but the Sleigh Bells/Skrillex/Calvin Harris/Lana/etc. terribleness has just gone too far. Just book Katy Perry next year and surrender; put us out of our misery.

2) Speaking of celebrities, fuck this "celebrities getting paid to be there" shit. I know it's not the festival doing this, but it's just more evidence of what it's become. Celebrities. Rich people. The 1%. $30k millionaires. Being seen versus being there for the music. Disgusting. Win Butler nailed it right on the head.

Nailed it. I think Coachella should ban such occurrences where celebrities are getting paid to just show up and be seen. I don't have problem with musical guest appearances because it just adds to the value of the experience and I would probably be watching a set in which the guest would be awesome as opposed to where Justin Bieber would appear. Fucking dick wad shitty little fuck of a human. BUT, I do feel betrayed when assholes like Justin Bieber are allowed. I know it must be difficult to not let one in, but come on Coachella. That guy is an asshole.

Win Butler was dead on as you mentioned.

I fear the results of this year have confirmed Coachella changing how I remembered it, or that I am getting older, or it's not a big deal because there will (hopefully) be acts I'd be willing to see while others I neglect. But as you said, will it be worth it staying in the beer garden or roasting in car camping waiting for those performances?
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

Quote Originally Posted by vogina View Post
    Nailed it. I think Coachella should ban such occurrences where celebrities are getting paid to just show up and be seen. I don't have problem with musical guest appearances because it just adds to the value of the experience and I would probably be watching a set in which the guest would be awesome as opposed to where Justin Bieber would appear. Fucking dick wad shitty little fuck of a human. BUT, I do feel betrayed when assholes like Justin Bieber are allowed. I know it must be difficult to not let one in, but come on Coachella. That guy is an asshole.

Win Butler was dead on as you mentioned.

I fear the results of this year have confirmed Coachella changing how I remembered it, or that I am getting older, or it's not a big deal because there will (hopefully) be acts I'd be willing to see while others I neglect. But as you said, will it be worth it staying in the beer garden or roasting in car camping waiting for those performances?
    I knew Skrillex bringing Korn in was just the beginning...

October 29 - The Melvins
    November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This was me after last year. I feel much more positive this year.
    The Terrace and Craft Beer section made it pretty easy to avoid the dumb zoners.

Not Awesome. The Friday Shuttle lines. I had to wait in line for almost three hours to just get onto a shuttle from the polo fields. That is unacceptable when we paid 60 bucks for a shuttle pass. Also the shuttles should leave for the fest on a constant basis. Twice this year we had to wait over 20 minutes for the bus to "fill up" The whole point of a shuttle pass is to get you to fest anytime between after 11:00 AM.

The Terrace and Craft Beer section made it pretty easy to avoid the dumb zoners.
    Totally agree

What killed me was getting to the end of this incredible line of craft beers only to see signs for Newcastle and Heineken almost sheepishly shoe-horned in at the very end. I thought to myself "Who would see all these fantastic beers only to say 'You know what, I really just want a Heineken'?" but then realized it's probably the same people who decided to go see Sleigh Bells for the 18th time because they didn't recognize anyone else.

On Friday I was all "this is too much, I'm done." but by Saturday I was totally feeling it. The crowds are unspeakably awful for the most part, and the lineup is more about EDM and manufactured acts with significant funding and relentless marketing behind them, but that's what Coachella is now. Why would they go back to the days when the festival was struggling to break even? As much as we may want things to stay the way they were, it's not going to happen and I finally made peace with it. Some of the acts I previously dismissed surprised me. Perhaps not enough to be a fan, but to give credit where it's due. Just as long as they stop putting the most popular acts on a side stage with no space and screens nobody can see and keep enough goodies in the lineup, I'll be back. Just another stage in the eternal cycle of love-hate.

Awesome:
    +no longer having to endure two security checks when coming from the north side
    +most of the music I saw
    +surprise additions to the lineup
    +impressive art
    +readily available free water
    +mostly nonexistent lines for portapotties
    +Warpaint
    +craft beer

Not:
    -bros and basic bitches
    -the taxi/uber drop off. seriously. way too far away and half that far-too-long walk is through a miserable, grass-free shithole.
    -the record stand. I missed having a real record store and signings.
    -anyone find any barbecue? I didn't.
    -80,000 people at the outdoor theater. over and over again. someday someone is going to get trampled to death and their parents are going to sue.
    -no tesla coil or hotshot
    -having to see or do anything after Warpaint
    -Pharrell, Lorde, Lana del Rey on the Outdoor Theatre
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

The last two years that weekend 2 they made 21+ wristbands change over on Sunday - I thought it was a usual thing!
    10/21 - Melvins + Le Butcherettes - GAMH
    11/1 - Hard Day of the Dead - Fairplex
    12/12 - Cat Stevens - Masonic Center
    4/17-4/19 - Coachella weekend 2