Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most Crowded/Least Crowded Sets

Default Re: Most Crowded/Least Crowded Sets

Anti Flag was pretty empty. Flosstradamus was probably as bas as Major Lazer last year. Martin Garrix was pure insanity. Muse was a damn joke. Queens of The Stone Age had more people. Ms Mr had a big crowd for being on before 3pm. AFI went from empty to packed in about 2 songs. Bryan Ferry was half full maybe.

^ But they were so much fun!

Calvin Harris and Pharrell weren't they only ones that were drawing huge over flowing crowds. Lana Del Rey and Lorde did too. They aren't EDM. They are talented performers. I saw a few acts in the Sahara that were barely full that were amazing. Carbon Airways being one of them. Those girls killed! The Do-Lab wasn't crowded at all the times I was there.

I think it's just a swing in the music pendulum. The kids that come to the festival don't have any idea who the Pixies, The Toy Dolls, Motorhead or even acts as fairly recent as QOTSA are. I think every other female there between 14 -40 was there to see Lana.
    Always wear a helmut

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    This...it's identity check time...the money is there either way...do you want rock fans or dance fans...but it's going to take multiple years of keeping the dance act relegated to the Sahara and Yuma only and more headliners like Blur and Stone Roses to reverse the trend...another year like this and you won't get acts like Ferry to fly over for the chance to play on youtube to a three-fourths empty tent.

Or the can just grab the money and become the California Electric Daisy Carnival
    If you want to compare the crowds at Blur and Stone Roses to Calvin Harris, I don't think you can say that the money will be there either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    $7 beer will be back, but as $8 beer.

There's never going to be an even distribution of the crowd at Coachella - that being said, I was really surprised at some of the crowds that were empty. Felt like all my "must-sees" were very uncrowded - Neko Case was almost embarassingly empty 5 minutes before she went on (literally 3 rows of people up front and then a scattering of people next to sound booth, under shade). Afghan Whigs was light. Felt like we were very close for QotSA and then barely had to maneuver around people to get out b/c the edges were not packed in. Superchunk had maybe 1/4 full for a 5-6 set. Daughter was extremely light (tough slot for them, casual fans either at Calvin or LDR). Nobody was at Muse, but I get that given shitty sound and wind + 2 popular options against them.

Flume/Flosstradamus/RL Grime were all very crowded in Mojave/Gobi - glad Flume did not play Sahara, but no dancing space = less enjoyment.

If they book the same proportion of EDM to non-EDM next year I think it's fine, but for selfish reasons.

7.23 - White Lung // 8.2-3 - HARD Summer // 8.7 - Jagwar Ma // 8.8 - Flume // 8.10 - Warpaint // 8.23-24 - FYF Fest // 9.5 - Feed Me // 10.8 - Kasabian // 10.12 - Speedy Ortiz // 10.25 - The Afghan Whigs // 10.31 - QotSA Halloween Show! // 4.10-12 - Coachella 2015 W1

Quote Originally Posted by Jakedeez View Post
    This is making me very happy. Huge crowds for EDM means up close for bands i want to see. Perfect.
    This. I was frequently surprised at how empty the shows I wanted to see were.

Quote Originally Posted by InDaGreen View Post
    Dismemberment Plan might have had enough people to fill the Troubadour. Maybe.
    No way. It couldn't have filled half the Troubadour.

Quote Originally Posted by InDaGreen View Post
    Dismemberment Plan might have had enough people to fill the Troubadour. Maybe.
    I started counting heads right before the show started. I was at 40 when they hit the stage, and had counted almost half of the crowd. Counting the trippers hiding in the curtains to get away from the storm, there were about 110 people there.

Quote Originally Posted by dtmnyc View Post
    Least crowded set for me I think was Carbon Airways. Too bad, because those French kids really busted their ass.
    Embarrassingly small for a late afternoon Sahara set. Still much larger than Dismemberment Plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Richa2ak View Post
    The Sahara madness/terribleness really shows how things have changed. I remember two years ago they had a similarly big DJ lineup, and even had Swedish House Mafia close out the Friday main stage, but the festival still felt like it belonged to rock first and foremost. This year it almost felt like EDM was taking over if you ventured anywhere past Mojave.
    I like the direction the festival is heading. Every stage with a guitar was about half the crowd I expected. As a view obstructor, I never push forward, so I had great views from near the back all weekend.
    Skrillex 2013 tour dates:

1/24/13 – Montreal, Canada
    4/12/13-4/21/13 POLO FIELD-SIZED GAP
    7/12/13 - Montreal, Canada
    7/13/13 - Toronto, Canada
    7/17/13 - Winnipeg, Canada
    7/19/13 - Calgary, Canada
    7/21/13 - Vancouver, Canada

Big Gigantic was the least crowded I saw yesterday. Sahara Tent was less than half filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikopua3 View Post
    Big Gigantic was the least crowded I saw yesterday. Sahara Tent was less than half filled.
    And yet it was SO GOOD

7/30 Tori Amos, 8/1 Ray LaMontagne, 8/5 Justin Timberlake, 8/14 Nine Inch Nails + Soundgarden, 8/22 Aerosmith + Slash, 8/28 Bear in Heaven, 8/31 Little Dragon, 9/11 Delta Spirit, 9/20 Conor Oberst, 9/25 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 9/28 The War on Drugs, 10/3-10/5 ACL W1, 10/13 Paul McCartney, 10/18 twenty one pilots, 10/19 Erasure, 11/7 Rufus Wainwright, 11/7-11/9 FFF Fest, 11/23 Caribou, 12/14 Fleetwood Mac, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent

how was the Gobi for Future Islands?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Biggest crowd: Seeing the Disclosure crowd from 2013 to 2014 was a mind-fuck. A 3/4 full Gobi to an overfilled outdoor. I got there 30 min early and had to sit back by the outdoor stage schedule sign so that I had enough room to dance with a fun crowd. Any closer than that and it seemed like a shoulder to shoulder nightmare or a bunch of bad vibes and annoyed faces. Wasn't nearly loud enough back there, either. Still had fun with a pretty cool group and witnessed some great glow-throws. Glad that was my 3rd time seeing them. Didn't feel too bad for leaving early.

Smallest crowd: I left that massive Disclosure crowd after about 30 min to walk into the Yuma for Bicep and to witness the smallest crowd of the weekend. Soooo much empty dance floor and such a fun set.

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    how was the Gobi for Future Islands?
    People were all the way to the back of the tent but the crowd wasn't very dense. Plenty of room to dance. Definitely my favorite crowd of the weekend, i bumped into a couple people and they were very kind about it. Unexpectedly the best dance party of the weekend (out of the sets I saw)

Daughter was really empty, which worked out well because I was late. John Newman was at the same time-ish, and he was also pretty good and super empty. I got to Neutral Milk super early and it was very easy to get close, which surprised me. Future Islands was also pretty open, which I considered fortunate. Everything felt kind of turned around this year. A lot of main acts had smaller crowds but things like Disclosure were just INSANE. For the outdoor, when you're that far away you just feel pretty disconnected.

I've never seen more kids at coachella than this year (by kids, I mean teenagers), and I think the crowd sizes reflect that. Classic acts and most rock acts were sparsely attended; any EDM or dance-oriented band got a good turnout. I've never seen fewer people at a set than Neko Case; I've never seen more than Calvin Harris.

Lana Del Rey and Lorde made the Atoms for Peace craziness at the outdoor look tame. The Sahara was packed any time I happened to pass by.

On the one hand, yes: it was nice to get as close for Beck as I did. On the other, a lot of sets that would have had great energy in years past felt underwhelming as a result - either because the crowd was full of kids waiting for the next act (ie Neutral Milk Hotel) or because the crowd was simply too sparse. I'd rather fight a packed house bursting with energy than relax at a show nobody's at.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I was up front for Muse so I couldn't tell how packed it was but hearing that it was empty doesn't surprise me. They were up against Skrillex so I fully expected this year's crowd to be in the Sahara.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

got to the Sahara late for Fatboy Slim and was barely inside the tent. after he ended the crowd only continued to grow for Empire of the Sun. we left because it started getting a little much. caught most of Sleigh Bells instead.

Bo Ningen had maybe 60 people total. but that's noon in the Gobi on Sunday. can't expect much.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

We watched Disclosure from the ADA risers and the crowd was massive. Stretched easily back to the Gobi. The energy seemed fantastic for that set.

Afghan Whigs I wouldn't say was empty, but it was pretty sparse. Maybe the front 1/3 was full and then the rest was kind of random people standing/sitting in small clusters.

While I think the crowd's taste in music has absolutely changed, the other thing I think is at play here is simply the age range at festivals. Jagwar Ma and Little Dragon, for example, are not brostep or EDM or whatever, and yet their crowds were very sizable. Booking acts that were largely performing originally in the 80s and early 90s means that for you to have been, say, 18, means that now you are in your mid-30s to mid-to-late 40s. The Replacements and Pulp draw flies, and yet ATDI, Postal Service, and Jurassic 5 had huge crowds, because they are the reunion acts that were popular when the largely 20s crowd that populates the stages outside of the Sahara were in high school. So while they might like The Replacements, that "oh man I have to see them, that song was everything to me when I was growing up" factor just isn't there. Yet those 80s/90s acts were popular, it sounds like, at Coachella 10 years or so ago...because today's mid-30s were in their mid-20s then. So I don't think it's just musical tastes, but also the age range that predominantly attends a sweltering hot, camping based music festival.

So while I don't think the answer is to stop booking those acts by any stretch of the imagination, I always do cringe a little when a band I respect gets slotted for a huge slot and nobody shows up. While I get that somebody like this because there isn't as much of a crowd and you can get up close, I have to imagine it's mortifying and frustrating for your favorite band.

This was a weird year for me because a) I missed over half of it due to my girlfriend injuring herself pretty significantly, b) the South Terrace and beer garden were wonderful, and c) I actually had a lot of fun at what I did see and thought this was a surprisingly great lineup in retrospect and once conflicts were out. But between Win's comments and Justin Bieber performing and just the lack of musical interest in so many of the attendees, this is the first year I left really worried for Coachella, not financially, but for them to viably continue to put on the type of show that they want to. Seems like many of the musicians they like to attract are getting jaded by the celebrity culture, small crowds, and musical IQ of the people who are coming here.

Had to leave Flosstradamus early because the girls in our group couldn't breathe because it was so ungodly packed with people falling over each other. I physically couldn't put my arms down. I really wish I had stayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikopua3 View Post
    And yet it was probably my favorite set all weekend, with the possible exception of Arcade Fire. The light crowd for Big G was due to the same timing as Calvin Harris... Perfect in my eyes. I also thought that it was the best crowd of the weekend... Everyone was having a great time, respectful and giving back the awesome energy the band was providing. It was phenomenal.

Granted I only saw the webcast but yeah, Superchunk's crowd looked really sparse.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveChoi View Post
    One thing I do need to get off my chest

Apologies to Freddy Prinze Jr for Cursing him out in 2012 when all that chaos unfolded.. I was a total prick to you and I was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    So while I don't think the answer is to stop booking those acts by any stretch of the imagination, I always do cringe a little when a band I respect gets slotted for a huge slot and nobody shows up. While I get that somebody like this because there isn't as much of a crowd and you can get up close, I have to imagine it's mortifying and frustrating for your favorite band.

This was a weird year for me because a) I missed over half of it due to my girlfriend injuring herself pretty significantly, b) the South Terrace and beer garden were wonderful, and c) I actually had a lot of fun at what I did see and thought this was a surprisingly great lineup in retrospect and once conflicts were out. But between Win's comments and Justin Bieber performing and just the lack of musical interest in so many of the attendees, this is the first year I left really worried for Coachella, not financially, but for them to viably continue to put on the type of show that they want to. Seems like many of the musicians they like to attract are getting jaded by the celebrity culture, small crowds, and musical IQ of the people who are coming here.
    That's the thing that upset me about Win's comments - its only going to detract artists who could change the "new Coachella" culture/vibe from performing even further.

I guess money talks, though, and if GV is as upset about the publicity surrounding this year's fest as I hope they are, they can always take 1/4 of Calvin Harris' money and throw it at a dozen great rock acts.

Outkast - Stayed until the end of the Knife and couldn't even get across the crowd at the third speaker stack
    Empire of the Sun - The biggest crowd I've ever seen for the Sahara. Much worse than Skrillex
    Flume - 1.5x the tent on all sides

Empty:
    Arcade Fire - Started 15min late to wait for Disclosure to end. Filled in modestly after that
    Mogwai - Half full. Maybe
    Pet Shop Boys - Walked right in to the sound board
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

I'm occasionally thankful that so many of the Coachella attendees are cretins - easy to get in for stuff like Bryan Ferry, Pixies, Motorhead, Pet Shop Boys etc, and then outrageously overflowing areas for Kid Cudi, Martin Garrix, Bastille etc - acts who will be forgotten in a few years.

But then acts that bring the Sahara people out into the open (eg Disclosure) create horrendously unfriendly, violent and packed crowds, which was too bad.

Basically: stuff that's getting good radio air time will be overflowing. Classic acts that deserve attention may well be sparse.
    7/30 - Arcade Fire - Shoreline
    8/1 - Xiu Xiu - Bottom of the Hill
    8/8-8/10 - Outside Lands
    8/12 - Antemasque and Le Butcherettes - GAMH
    8/15 - James Zabiela - Mighty
    8/24 - NIN, Soundgarden and (no) Death Grips - Shoreline
    9/27 - Simian Mobile Disco - Mezzanine
    10/4 - DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist - Mezzanine
    10/6 - Kasabian and Bo Ningen - Fox
    10/19-10/20 - Treasure Island Music Festival
    11/1 - Erasure - Fox
    4/17-4/19 - Coachella weekend 2

The smallest crowd: It's sort of a tie between Gaba Gaba Heys & Carbon Airways, but CA was in the Sahara so it seemed like a smaller crowd.

Largest: Lana & Lorde.
    Always wear a helmut

Does anyone think they would move Lorde or Lana Del Ray to the main stage for weekend 2?

Smallest Crowd for me was Young And Sick was able to walk right up tho the front rail. But it just made the set that much more better.
    Lagest had to be Skrillex we left MUSE about 40 mins in to go catch a little bit of Skrillex. Which turned out to be a bad decision it was crazy packed.

Disclosure was an absolute clusterfuck. Martin Garrix probably had half of the festival packed into the Sahara tent. I wish there were aerial shots for all of the sets just to get a better perception of how big the crowds actually were.

Surprised how small Pet Shot Boys' crowd was, even considering the windstorm. My wife and I were trying to get to the bathrooms during Lorde. THAT was a fucking crowd.
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

Quote Originally Posted by ELECtROjan View Post
    Empty:
    Arcade Fire - Started 15min late to wait for Disclosure to end. Filled in modestly after that
    I'd say they had a decent crowd, much better than Muse the night before, though I wonder what W2 will be like with different weather. But I don't think they were 15 minutes late or waiting for Disclosure to end - I think they started about 6 minutes late (?)

7/30 Tori Amos, 8/1 Ray LaMontagne, 8/5 Justin Timberlake, 8/14 Nine Inch Nails + Soundgarden, 8/22 Aerosmith + Slash, 8/28 Bear in Heaven, 8/31 Little Dragon, 9/11 Delta Spirit, 9/20 Conor Oberst, 9/25 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 9/28 The War on Drugs, 10/3-10/5 ACL W1, 10/13 Paul McCartney, 10/18 twenty one pilots, 10/19 Erasure, 11/7 Rufus Wainwright, 11/7-11/9 FFF Fest, 11/23 Caribou, 12/14 Fleetwood Mac, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent

They really need to exchange stages for Flume and Bryan Ferry for W2.
    Ferry had a 1/3 full Mojave and Flume was a dangerously overcrowded Gobi.