Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most Crowded/Least Crowded Sets

Default Most Crowded/Least Crowded Sets

What sets did you see that were the most/least crowded?

Most Crowded:
    Duke Dumont
    Flume
    Kid Cudi
    Pharrell

Least Crowded:
    Mogwai
    Daughter

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Default Re: Most Crowded/Least Crowded Sets

Disclosure was a shit show
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Two most packed sets of the weekend were almost unarguably Calvin Harris and OutKast. From what I actually saw, CHVRCHES, Lorde, HAIM and Lana Del Rey were completely packed as well. Main stage Saturday from Kid Cudi to MGMT to FtP was also impressive. Bastille also had insane spillover and should have been on the outdoor. I didn't see but heard Skrillex and EotS were almost dangerous level packed.

Sadly, some of the least attended shows I saw included QOTSA into Muse (less than half filled main for both), The Replacements, The Knife, and Neutral Milk Hotel.

It was really eye-opening.

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    Two most packed sets of the weekend were almost unarguably Calvin Harris and OutKast. From what I actually saw, CHVRCHES, Lorde, HAIM and Lana Del Rey were completely packed as well. Main stage Saturday from Kid Cudi to MGMT to FtP was also impressive. Bastille also had insane spillover and should have been on the outdoor. I didn't see but heard Skrillex and EotS were almost dangerous level packed.

Sadly, some of the least attended shows I saw included QOTSA into Muse (less than half filled main for both), The Replacements, The Knife, and Neutral Milk Hotel.

It was really eye-opening.
    Bands performing outdoors during the sandstorm / Saturday night should be excluded in this scientific survey. Though, yeah, probably it is a good idea to include them then check on them again and compare on weekend 2 especially if the weather turns out to be friendlier with them.
    Last edited by idrive1life; 04-14-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Empire of the sun- couldnt even get into the tent. Shouldnt have played the Sahara
    Classixx- caught the last half and the tent was completely full by then (super fun though)
    07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 13w2, 14w1

Anything in Sahara except the one set I actually watched there (Big Gigantic), because all the lemmings were at Calvin Harris. (I did also catch Fatboy Slim from the Beer Garden directly behind and that was enjoyable). Outkast was packed, as was Pharrell. I was surprised (and blessed) that I had so much space for Arcade Fire being as close as I was.

The Sahara madness/terribleness really shows how things have changed. I remember two years ago they had a similarly big DJ lineup, and even had Swedish House Mafia close out the Friday main stage, but the festival still felt like it belonged to rock first and foremost. This year it almost felt like EDM was taking over if you ventured anywhere past Mojave.

After HAIM ended, 80 percent of the crowd left, but I stayed.

Bastille was the only set we walked up to, saw the crowd overflowing, and said "screw that". That should have really been on an outdoor stage. Crowds for Lorde and Disclosure were ridiculous, they should have both been on the main stage with Beck on the outdoor after NMH.

Tiny crowds for QOTSA and Muse made me sad but I also blame the brutal conflicts and weather. I'm still bummed about missing Pet Shop Boys. Anyone know how crazy Skrillex was?

Neko Case was the smallest crowd I saw on the Outdoor. When we walked up the stage, my friend gave me a double take like "what are you taking me to..." This needs to be moved to a tent badly.

8/1 Ray LaMontagne, 8/2 Sarah McLachlan, 8/4 White Denim, 8/5 Justin Timberlake, 8/14 Nine Inch Nails + Soundgarden, 8/22 Aerosmith + Slash, 8/24 Nickel Creek, 8/28 Bear in Heaven, 8/31 Little Dragon, 9/11 Delta Spirit, 9/20 Conor Oberst, 9/26 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 9/28 The War on Drugs, 10/3 & 10/5 ACL W1, 10/13 Paul McCartney, 10/18 twenty one pilots, 10/19 Erasure, 11/7 Rufus Wainwright, 11/7-11/9 FFF Fest, 11/23 Caribou, 12/14 Fleetwood Mac, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent

Dismemberment Plan might have had enough people to fill the Troubadour. Maybe.
    Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl, Aug. 4
    Spoon - Hollywood Forever Cemetary, Aug. 8
    Paul McCartney - Dodger Stadium, Aug. 10
    First Aid Kit - Wiltern, Nov. 12
    Coachella - Empire Polo Field, April 17-19

Quote Originally Posted by Richa2ak View Post
    This year it almost felt like EDM was taking over if you ventured anywhere past Mojave.
    It felt like EDM was taking over if you walked into the EDM area? No way.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

Lurker

Calvin Harris and Outcast were the only acts to completely fill the Coachella stage. Saturday night from Empire of the Sun on was insane in Sahara tent. Complete spill over all the way to the beer garden and almost over to the next tent. Whether this was due to the draw of the acts or the winds I can't say, but Muse was empty on Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by thagorillaz View Post
    It felt like EDM was taking over if you walked into the EDM area? No way.
    I enjoy EDM and have caught some good DJ sets at past Coachellas (Madeon being the one that sticks out most in my mind). I enjoyed Fatboy Slim and Big G this year. In past years however, the difference in the makeup of the crowd was not nearly as drastic as this year. It seemed like two different festivals, rather than one festival with different types of music... and the EDM crowd was larger. I have a couple friends who are really into that, and I'm pretty sure the only time they came to the Main side of the grounds was for Calvin Harris and Disclosure... which just so happened to be arguably the two largest crowds of the festival.

But you got your smartass comment in, so no need for you to make any REAL observations.
    Last edited by Richa2ak; 04-14-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Least crowded set for me I think was Carbon Airways. Too bad, because those French kids really busted their ass.

It was interesting to see the vast difference between the RIDICULOUSLY packed Gobi for Flume, and then 20 minutes later completely empty for Caravan Palace.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

I don't how the crowd got after I got there, but minutes before QOTSA started, the stage was way emptier than I thought it would be. I even ran it from GZA to make sure I got a somewhat decent spot. I literally thought they shut it down because of the storm and asked someone what was going on.

This is making me very happy. Huge crowds for EDM means up close for bands i want to see. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by InDaGreen View Post
    Dismemberment Plan might have had enough people to fill the Troubadour. Maybe.
    This was my "flee from the dust storm" set. I've never seen a crowd that small at any tent. Not even Fantomas. I bet Rakes in 06 was pretty small.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by JelloPuddingChat View Post
    This was my "flee from the dust storm" set. I've never seen a crowd that small at any tent. Not even Fantomas. I bet Rakes in 06 was pretty small.
    Last year W2 Booka Shade was empty. Like, we got there a few songs in and walked right up almost to the rail empty. It was a shame because they were killing it.

That sucks. I think I've skipped Booka each time they played thanks to higher priorities.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by Jakedeez View Post
    This is making me very happy. Huge crowds for EDM means up close for bands i want to see. Perfect.
    I'm not sure if its good news for Coachella lineups to come, though...

The Calvin Harris crowd was fucking horrible. Trying to make my way over for a good spot for Beck/AF, I had to manuever my way through what felt like a million fucking bros and whatever the latest word is for dirty chicks wearing bikinis and headbands. Coachella needs to stop booking and attracting that shit. It's embarrassing.

I was in front of the sound booth for OutKast, so I'm not sure how far back the crowd went...But the amount of people watching Calvin Harris was fucking insane. It splintered off towards the back, but it looked like it went to the Gobi. Did he have the biggest crowd all weekend?

7/1 - Deafheaven @ The Casbah
    7/11 - Cloud Nothings @ Soda Bar
    7/19 - Wolves In The Throne Room @ Che Cafe
    8/5 - Arcade Fire, Spoon, Dan Deacon @ Sleeptrain Amphitheater
    8/21 - NIN, Soundgarden, Death Grips @ Sleeptrain Amphitheater
    8/22 - Future Islands @ Irenic
    8/23~24 - FYF

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    The Calvin Harris crowd was fucking horrible. Trying to make my way over for a good spot for Beck/AF, I had to manuever my way through what felt like a million fucking bros and whatever the latest word is for dirty chicks wearing bikinis and headbands. Coachella needs to stop booking and attracting that shit. It's embarrassing.
    Experienced the same thing but worked out as we got all the way down to the rail. And the amount of empty water bottles just dropped on the floor was ridiculous, every step I was stepping on at least one bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    This...it's identity check time...the money is there either way...do you want rock fans or dance fans...but it's going to take multiple years of keeping the dance act relegated to the Sahara and Yuma only and more headliners like Blur and Stone Roses to reverse the trend...another year like this and you won't get acts like Ferry to fly over for the chance to play on youtube to a three-fourths empty tent.

Or the can just grab the money and become the California Electric Daisy Carnival
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

How was the turnout for the Toy Dolls?

Toy Dolls was only about a quarter full.

The tent was empty for Toy Dolls.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    This...it's identity check time...the money is there either way...do you want rock fans or dance fans...but it's going to take multiple years of keeping the dance act relegated to the Sahara and Yuma only and more headliners like Blur and Stone Roses to reverse the trend...another year like this and you won't get acts like Ferry to fly over for the chance to play on youtube to a three-fourths empty tent.

Or the can just grab the money and become the California Electric Daisy Carnival
    Or they could put electronic acts like Underworld on the mainstage

Cage the E was a huge draw for 3pm loved it
    Toy Dolls crowd was small at first but filled up...great set fun band

Disclosure and Flume were ridiculous.