Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning on going to Coachella for the first time in 2015, tons of questions..

Cool Planning on going to Coachella for the first time in 2015, tons of questions..

Hello everyone, hope you're all enjoying the festival. I live in Philadelphia and am planning on going for the first time in 2015. Loads of questions.
    1) When do tickets go on sale?
    2) When should I start planning the hotel, airfare, etc?
    3) Should I stay in a hotel or campsite? (As a first timer I really don't care about the tent parties but which ever is easier to get to and from the festival)
    4) Roundabout for people who travel, how much will it cost for 4 people?
    5) Which hotels that are close, and clean do you prefer?
    6) Should we rent a car or take a cab to and from the festival?

Thanks a head of time

Lurker

Default Re: Planning on going to Coachella for the first time in 2015, tons of questions..

1) next month, I believe
    2) now (it's always good to save for something like this, especially if you're flying across the country) I started planning going to this year's Coachella while watching last year's webcast (can't believe it's been a year..time flies by! )
    3) campsite, because you're AT the festival rather than having to shuttle in and out of the festival. which means add a rental car to the expenses for number 2
    4) you'll all have to pay for your own airfare and food (assuming you don't buy food and drinks prior, you can split expenses that way) . would be cheaper if everyone pitches in for the rental car too.
    5) I can't answer that one (I'll have an answer Wednesday night when I stay somewhere), but I'd say there's lots of places to stay in Palms Springs, which is about 20 or 30 mins from the festival.
    6) Rental Car- you can camp there with your car. if not, you're going to take a cab from the airport all the way to the festival (almost a 2 hour drive, more with traffic) , and then still have to worry about the shuttles to the hotels.

Best of luck- this is my first time this year (weekend 2) so hope this info helps. I'm flying in from NJ, staying in San Diego for a night, then somewhere Wednesday night (not sure yet, maybe Palm Springs or something in Riverside County) and driving to the festival Thursday morning.

My recommendation in a nutshell: fly in, rent a car, stay at a hotel close by (Palm Springs) Wednesday night, drive in Thursday morning. Let the fun begin.

Default Re: Planning on going to Coachella for the first time in 2015, tons of questions..

Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    1) next month, I believe
    2) now (it's always good to save for something like this, especially if you're flying across the country) I started planning going to this year's Coachella while watching last year's webcast (can't believe it's been a year..time flies by! )
    3) campsite, because you're AT the festival rather than having to shuttle in and out of the festival. which means add a rental car to the expenses for number 2
    4) you'll all have to pay for your own airfare and food (assuming you don't buy food and drinks prior, you can split expenses that way) . would be cheaper if everyone pitches in for the rental car too.
    5) I can't answer that one (I'll have an answer Wednesday night when I stay somewhere), but I'd say there's lots of places to stay in Palms Springs, which is about 20 or 30 mins from the festival.
    6) Rental Car- you can camp there with your car. if not, you're going to take a cab from the airport all the way to the festival (almost a 2 hour drive, more with traffic) , and then still have to worry about the shuttles to the hotels.

Best of luck- this is my first time this year (weekend 2) so hope this info helps. I'm flying in from NJ, staying in San Diego for a night, then somewhere Wednesday night (not sure yet, maybe Palm Springs or something in Riverside County) and driving to the festival Thursday morning.

My recommendation in a nutshell: fly in, rent a car, stay at a hotel close by (Palm Springs) Wednesday night, drive in Thursday morning. Let the fun begin.

This is incorrect, there are now shuttles from LAX. You can also fly into Palm Springs which is 20ish minutes away. Pre-sale tickets went on sale for 2014 dates on May 24th 2013, however if you don't want to purchase pre-sale you can buy tickets when they go on sale after the line-up is released.
    Last edited by Sheldorrr; 04-14-2014 at 12:51 PM.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Lurker

ah cool, didn't know that- thanks for the tip!

You can also look to rent rooms in homes near the festival area. Many times they are cheaper than the hotels. Coachella and Indio are like a mile or two away from the festival. La quinta, palm desert, etc become 10-15 minute drives. look on craiglist for rooms or airbnb.com

Buy presale if you dont want to worry about selling out in January.

And only camp if you dont mind waking up in a sweat at 6 AM in a 120 degree tent and having to fight to shower

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
    Buy presale if you dont want to worry about selling out in January.

And only camp if you dont mind waking up in a sweat at 6 AM in a 120 degree tent and having to fight to shower
    QFT. Camped the first year I went in 2010, and will NEVER camp another festival again. Too old for that shit. Ever since (this weekend is my 5th) we have stayed in a resort. Essentials: air con, a pool, a shower without a 4hr20min lineup (that's how long I lined up for a shower on the Saturday of 2010).

Thanks for the tip! Don't think sitting in a tent for 3 days is too safe for my well-being.

Cool! Thanks, have a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by ReeJay View Post
    QFT. Camped the first year I went in 2010, and will NEVER camp another festival again. Too old for that shit. Ever since (this weekend is my 5th) we have stayed in a resort. Essentials: air con, a pool, a shower without a 4hr20min lineup (that's how long I lined up for a shower on the Saturday of 2010).
    Really huh, 4 hours and 20 minutes... 420, Mind Blown.
    14' WK2. 15' WK2.

1) early bird is in may and they offer payment plans, otherwise january.
    2) the sooner the better
    3) hotel if you want to relax and stay clean. otherwise camp if you want a constant party, on a budget, and don't mind being dirty.
    4) idk
    5) Stay at a hotel which has the shuttle stop go directly to the hotel. (miramonte, hyatt, renaissance esmerelda, there are more just don't know off hand.. the one in la quinta and indian wells is the closest I'm pretty sure). i stayed at the renaissance esermelda and there were A TON of celebs staying there.. haim, snoop, sam smith, martin garrix, dillon francis, disclosure, outkast.
    6) shuttle buses are easiest but if not i think you should rent a car and not deal with the wait of a taxi or uber. BUT the traffic to wait to get in and out of the parking lot is pretty ridiculous.. thus shuttle bus!
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Passion Pit drew the biggest congregation of white people that couldn't dance that I've ever seen.

Hi,

2015 will be my 4th coachella. A few extra details that might be helpful:

1. Buy your tickets as early as possible. Per other posters, the early bird tickets available next month allow you to do a monthly payment plan. For my husband and I, we pay ~$80/month for our tickets for 9 months. That is easier for us than paying $375 all at once.

2. You can start planning as soon as possible, but try to take care of all your booking before mid-January 2015. That's the latest I've been successful in booking rooms, and it was tough to find things in our price range. If you are flying in, you should investigate your options. You can fly directly into Palm Springs, which is about 20 minutes from Indio, California (where Coachella takes place). Alternatively, you can fly into Los Angeles (LAX, BUR, ONT) and then rent a car and drive the 2-3 hours to Palm Desert. That's what I do since airfare into LAX is so much cheaper than into Palm Springs.

3. You've already gotten the advice that a hotel is probably best for you. You may also consider renting a house or a condo. AirBnb.com and VRBO.com have a lot of options. If you're going with a group of 4 or more, this could be the most economical option. You probably want to rent a place that has shuttle access (see the Coachella shuttle pass site) or that is a reasonable biking distance to the venue. I usually share a condo with friends at Legacy Villas in La Quinta, CA which is bike-able and shuttle-able, albeit a bit expensive.

4. $375 (ticket) + $60 (shuttle pass) + $350 (airfare from DC) + $80 (my share of rental car and gas) + $500 (my share of condo) + $135 (food and water at the venue for 3 days) + $60 (my share of groceries in my condo for breakfast and snacks) = $1,560 for the whole weekend. The condos I stay at are really nice, and I also don't skimp on food and drinks while at the venue. You could definitely do Coachella for cheaper than this, but these are my costs.

5. Legacy Villa is the only place I've ever stayed. It's expensive, but it's very nice. It also has great pool parties during the day, but it's quiet at night so we can sleep. Most hotels on the shuttle routes are nice and clean. Palm Springs and Palm Desert caters to retirees, so there aren't a bunch of nasty motels. Check out reviews on trip advisor if you are anxious about booking a place.

6. Rent a car to get to/from the airport if you fly into LA instead of Palm Springs. Buy a shuttle pass to get to/from the venue or rent bikes to get back and forth if you're staying within a few miles. Don't try to drive - it will be too much hassle. I don't do bikes because at the end of the night I'm incredibly exhausted and sometimes drunk, so it wouldn't be safe for me.

Wow! Very helpful! Thank you so much I'm only 19 so I'm not used to planning trips by myself haha

Thanks!

If you are staying away from the campgrounds, it is often cheaper to get a group of friends and rent a house. Better amenities than a hotel might offer, and many times you might even have your own private pool.
    I hope to someday die of spontaneous human combustion, and in my final moments, I want to give each and every one of you a hug.

Do they limit how many people they allow to do the pre sale?

Yes.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Do NOT stay in Palm Springs since there are about 10 hotels that the shuttle picks up from which are closer! People do rent rooms but you are better off getting a hotel for a very similar price. Every hotel WILL sell out! Do NOT drive to the festival.

Don't take a cab--it will cost you a fortune. I drive in every year. And if you stay in Palm Springs, which will be a little cheaper, you can take the shuttle in every year rather than drive.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Hi All
    Thanks for the great tips above. We're looking to come to the 2015 festival. Where do they announce the tickets going on pre-sale? What site should we be watching?
    Many thanks

Pre-Sale tickets will be sometime mid-May. Regular sale tickets will be in January 2015 when the official lineup is released. Buy airfair soon as possible to get cheapest deal. Always car camp, it's much easier to come in and out of the festival to relax or eat at your campsite then to go back to your hotel. Rent a car from the airport, best deal and bet way to get there, a cab will drain all your extra cash. If you do end up in a hotel, they have shuttle passes available when you buy tickets. I spend about $1000 total (including tickets, food, drinks, etc.) for the whole weekend every year, so 4 people id say $4000 (not including airfare, I live in CA so I drive myself) good luck, see you next year

Coachella twitter account is usually the one tell everyone first when tickets are going on sale

Do NOT listen to any of these people they are all liars!
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

See ya! Thanks

I'm trying to get info for layaway
    I've gone to all by volunteering with a State Agency last two years I've purchased them. I bought them on day Residents could buy them
    I'm putting mine on layaway. I live down the street of venue 2 miles.
    Rentals here for Coachella have gone up &I saw on ebay $10,000.00 for a general admission. Crazy

Get your credit card ready for next month's pre-sale of 2015. It's generally cheaper (save on some fees I think), but the real benefit is the lay-away program which allows you to make small payments instead of paying a lump sum right off the bat. One might even purchase an extra wristband or three and re-sell them to help fund such a trip next year....but that would be immoral.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

If it's your first time and you're 19, I would definitely car camp. It will cost you and your three friends $20 each and is the realest Coachella experience.

Presale was $50 cheaper than the regular on-sale price. Also, Weekend One tickets were nearly impossible to get in January because most of the passes were sold in the presale.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

i need to buy 2 more tickets, for the second weekend.does any one know when exactly the regular sale will go out? i'd like to take my 2 teen boys
    any info is greatly appreciated.

Hey...you will love every moment. But definitely prepare.
    1) May 16 for pre sale tickets. sorry they are all now sold. General sales will happen in Jan usually. watch Facebook, make sure you are on the email notice list. Buying can be stressful as the tickets go fast. You can find how to purchase info onsite...memorize the process.
    2) Finding a good hotel should be researched now. Book your hotel when able, after ticket purchase.
    3) Depends...if you are 20 something...yes...camp. If you are 40 plus, find a nice comfortable hotel.
    4) A lot!!! Consider this a great holiday. It is very difficult to do Coachella on a budget. Prepare...save!!
    5) Search the Palm Springs area websites. Hotels are personal experiences. You can find lots of info via a good google search. April is not cheap though, so be prepared for higher rates. Consider renting with friends in the local area. Try HomeAway.com
    6) The shuttle experience can be fine. We always rent as we stay in Palm Springs, 30 minutes away. A cab depends on how far away from the grounds you are. Price compare and base on budget.
    7) Google for articles on enhancing your Coachella experience. You will find all kinds of fun accounts and suggestions that are all helpful.