Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best improvements of 2014

Default Best improvements of 2014

For me there were two improvements that stood out:

1. Searches were conducted ONLY at the main gate.

2. For those that rode the shuttles in or walked/biked from the north lots-there was a completly separate entrance from those that were camping.

BOTH of these seemed to tremendously make getting into the venue a lot faster.

Default Re: Best improvements of 2014

The Terrace is awesome and #2 above was clutch.

•The openness of polo grounds with the relocation of the DoLab, it felt easier to move around than it did last year.
    •Security was much friendlier.
    •Really helpful and stoked event staff. High fiving everyone, saying positive things to people walking by, et cetera
    •More people aged 30+
    •I honestly have no complaints about the structure of this year's event.
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

The craft beer was everything I had hoped for and more!! Moving the do lab was brilliant. The new Gobi sounded great and was protected from soundboard and wind. Salt and Straw ice cream was the best I've ever had. The sea salt with Carmel ribbons was amazing!!
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

All the bros seemed to stay in the Sahara
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

This. Having to dump water halfway through the journey from the northern side last year at that first security check sucked.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Did you try the sea salt caramel candy, Crom? Yum!!

And the Stumptown Iced coffee drinks were delicious.

The craft beer garden was a fantastic addition. A bit hidden (never seemed too crowded) and had some very decent beers on tap. The little restaurant in the back was nice if you needed a bit of time out of the sun entirely enjoying a drink.

Relocation of Do Lab was great. Might help if they could add a walkway from Do Lab to Sahara, although that is a very minor qualm given the one in between Mojave and Sahara.

Oh and the YUMA, so much better than last year (which wasn't bad).

7.23 - White Lung // 8.2-3 - HARD Summer // 8.7 - Jagwar Ma // 8.8 - Flume // 8.10 - Warpaint // 8.23-24 - FYF Fest // 9.5 - Feed Me // 10.8 - Kasabian // 10.12 - Speedy Ortiz // 10.25 - The Afghan Whigs // 10.31 - QotSA Halloween Show! // 4.10-12 - Coachella 2015 W1

2nd on the craft brew area (especially tipping a couple with you algunz). Piping in music from Outdoor or Main might help offset the Yuma thump, though.

They really kept the bros and the "I just want to see Lana" people separate. This likely contributed to the almost complete lack of douche-chella. Very little cramming to the front, very little talking during sets, most everyone very friendly.

Liked the blackout and chandeliers in Gobi.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Terrace was awesome.
    Salt & Straw ice cream was our favorite food. Went there 3 times over the weekend.
    -- Almond Toffee (my favorite)
    -- Strawberry Balsamic
    -- Coffee
    -- Bourbon/olive oil

The coffee place serving Stumptown in Terrace was great, too. Expensive, but Stumptown cold brew is delicious.
    Food vendors inside the craft beer area were delicious and lines were short.

-Decorating to the Gobi was a nice touch

-THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RELOCATING THE DO LAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-The new trees near the Do Lab and the Yuma were a nice touch.

-Continued improvements in portapotty experiences, meaning they were actually clean or relatively clean more often than not.

-Not an intended improvement, and I only heard about this, but the accidental video feed of Bryan Ferry during Girl Talk was a nice way of telling the Girl Talk crowd they made the wrong choice, and I applaud that.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Another great year from my viewpoint!
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Everything about the terrace and stemming from that like the movement of the do lab. The do lab seemed bigger too which was good for them. They deserve it.
    “We've spent so much time judging what other people created that we've created very, very little of our own.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Choke

I think this year was a step forward for Coachella and I applaud them for their hard work in making the festival the best it can be.

1. Gobi tent was awesome, after the first set I saw in there I immediately started looking for other acts that were playing there over the weekend just so I could be at that stage more. I loved the curtains and chandeliers

2. Agree with the Do Lab move. Thank you Coachella for listening to patrons.

3. Day parking seemed to flow better than last year, especially during exit. I never was in more than 10-15 minutes of traffic.

Still needs improvement: MORE WATER REFILL STATIONS! Also soundbleed is a real problem at this festival. It's nice to have stages so close to one another for moving between them, but when the Sahara is ruining half the sets in the Mojave..well...

11/23 Caribou, 12/4 Melissa Etheridge, 12/5 Spoon, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent, 1/30 White Arrows, 3/1 Fleetwood Mac, 4/4 Stars, 4/17-4/19 Coachella W2

Shuttles continue to get more and more efficient every year, and the separate security check/entrance for shuttle patrons was definitely a plus.
    Karen O - Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever Cemetary, Sept. 18
    Slowdive - Theatre at Ace Hotel, Nov. 8
    First Aid Kit - Wiltern, Nov. 12
    Coachella - Empire Polo Field, April 17-19

So happy to hear they only had main check for the shuttle riders!

I'm with everyone else about moving the Do Lab!

The Gobi decor was a nice surprise.

Security and staff were all friendly and helpful this year.

There was so much more shade by the different food areas! It was awesome.

1. Craft Beer Garden
    2. Expanded Yuma

Quote Originally Posted by levi760 View Post
    For me there were two improvements that stood out:

Thank god for this. The double search in previous years was hell for getting in. I was so happy when the first set of security guys did nothing aside from high-fiving me.

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    Also soundbleed is a real problem at this festival. It's nice to have stages so close to one another for moving between them, but when the Sahara is ruining half the sets in the Mojave..well...
    Moving the Do Lab helped but they really need to think about what to do regarding sound bleed from the Main to the Outdoor. I'm not sure how you fix it, but a lot of the acts on the Outdoor stage were getting absolutely blown out this year.
    06, 08-14

The do lab placement was tits.
    Kept all the Bros away ����

The entire terrace was phenomenal. The craft beer garden was excellent, and was never too crowded. Moving the Do Lab was a fantastic move and freed up so much space. I can't tell you how much I thought the terrace changed the flow, vibe, and structure of the entire festival. Not once all weekend did I feel like the crowd was too packed in terms of getting from stage to stage.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    This

I didn't dig the new location of the Do Lab. Was so much more central before, but I know there was major noise bleeding issues last year. I must have been in the wrong entrance...we waited at least 20-30 mins to get in every day.

Better food
    Better beer
    Better Yuma

Next year: sell 10K fewer tickets & offset the $ loss by doubling the price for VIP / passing on booking a Calvin Harris type for the main (bc you'll sell out either way)

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    1. Craft Beer Garden
    2. Expanded Yuma
    For sure. Paying $10 for an 8% IPA was far more effective than $9 for 4% Heineken. Plus the bathrooms in there were never busy and I never had to wait to get a drink. Hardly went to any other beer gardens after discovering this before Nicolas Jaar.

Those who say the bathrooms were better obviously weren't the people shafted in Lot 4. The bathrooms there were horrendous, we arrived at 1pm and were sent to the very farthest corner of the entire festival.
    11/28 - Dixon - Secret
    12/5 - Gareth Emery - SLS Vegas
    12/6 - Heart - House of Blues, Las Vegas
    12/12 - Cat Stevens - Masonic Center
    4/17-4/19 - Coachella weekend 2

yuma, for sure
    2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingmad View Post
    Moving the Do Lab helped but they really need to think about what to do regarding sound bleed from the Main to the Outdoor. I'm not sure how you fix it, but a lot of the acts on the Outdoor stage were getting absolutely blown out this year.
    Agreed 100%. The second half of The Head and the Heart was getting absolutely slaughtered by Kid Cudi.

Thank fucking god Calvin Harris didn't start until right when NMH was done.

11/23 Caribou, 12/4 Melissa Etheridge, 12/5 Spoon, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent, 1/30 White Arrows, 3/1 Fleetwood Mac, 4/4 Stars, 4/17-4/19 Coachella W2

I know I'm wildly in the minority with this view point, but I really REALLY did not like the banishment of the Do Lab. It completely changed the aesthetic of the festival, for the worse. It wasn't as awe inspiringly gorgeous at night. The fields were too naked and not as colorful, the spectacle was muted. The sound bleed is valid, but it was a worthy sacrifice for me.

Gobi drapes made it impossible to see a show if you weren't within the confines of the tent. It felt bigger, basically another Mojave, but enclosed. I wasn't able to see Flume, at all. Too packed with no external way to see the show. Not a good change.

It also felt way more crowded, almost prohibitively so. It's like the few extra acres they opened for the terrace made them feel justified to sell an extra 30,000 tickets. I've gone in 2008, and W2 in 2012-2013, so I don't know if W1's are always that bad or what, but holy fuck was it packed. Everywhere.

I'm trying to think of complaints for this year and honestly, I don't think I really have any.

There were slight issues on friday that were fixed by saturday: - there was a gated, serpentine entrance for the Yuma by saturday and an exit for the Yuma that didn't involve walking/waiting to walk through the tent after hanging out in the bathroom area.

-I never waited in line for a single second going through security.

-security was light as shit. i managed to bring in anything i wanted to super easily.

-most of the shitty crowds were relegated to sets I had no interest in seeing. (i realize this differs from person to person. but, still)

-the long waits to exit the parking lots on friday were nonexistent on saturday and sunday.

-the do lab was easily avoided

-the food was even better than usual, which is saying something because the food options have always been pretty exellent.

-the craft beer was only 10 bucks (i was expecting more)

-the Gobi was fucking awesome this year. so was the Yuma.

I'm seriously trying to think of complaints right now and I don't think I have any. Kudos, Coachella.

i liked how they moved the do lab because there wasn't any noise bleeds.. but at the same time the do lab is in a corner of the terrace i never went to and made me less inclined to get over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Passion Pit drew the biggest congregation of white people that couldn't dance that I've ever seen.