Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WARNING - UBER RIP OFF

Default Re: WARNING - UBER RIP OFF

I just started driving for Lyft over the weekend, people seem to really like it. Not sure if it's cheaper than Uber but most of my passengers have said that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    No. You've obviously never dealt with the thousands of terrible taxi drivers who try to extort people into paying up front/ fixed rate bullshit when it's busy out.

Both Uber and taxis suck.
    Hi Ods,

Yes, I can agree that there are shady people out there in the taxi industry, but you have one option when dealing with them. Take their cab number down and threaten to report them to the local Department of Weights and measures. Also, you can ask to see their meter certification seal and operating licence. Anything other than operating under the regulations is nothing short of breaking the law.

What recourse do you have with Uber?

Also....I have been wondering this for a while. What are the insurance requirements for Uber? What if there is a major accident and 3 people are killed....who do you blame? How much bodily injury insurance are they required to have in order to drive people around?

I'm equally disappointed that there are no good options.
    They heard me singing and they told me to STOP.

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What are the insurance requirements for Uber?
    this is a key question in the Uber (etc.) business model.

http://www.omaha.com/money/how-are-r...222e181ed.html

who is Uber like Taliban or Al Qaeder?
    Get rid of that Uber junk operating illegally

fuck you you camel-fucking spit monkey.

Get rid of mafia-controlled taxi medallions.

Dude on Halloween got charged $536 for a 12 mile ride from Uber in Colorado----yep SURGE PRICING

I just learned about that surge pricing...wow what a cluster fuck of a pricing structure.

PAY ATTENTION was my lesson.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

old school

"Surge Pricing" the new euphemism for gouging the fuck out of and taking advantage of people in times of need.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    holy shit dude
    ^I earned this.^

"Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Times of need? Take a cab then.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i don't get it. so you ask for a ride and it says, say $40, then when you wake up from your drunken haze you have a charge for $369 on your credit card?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

If surge pricing is in effect, you have to type in the surge multiplying amount before you can request an uber. It then gives you an estimate. There is no way the charge would come as a surprise. The girl who got charged that much on Halloween knew exactly what she was doing, she didn't want to take responsibility for it.
    The people who gave her all that money are morons.

Disclosure - I've been driving for Lyft for a few months and Uber for a little less than a week. The pay is pretty dogshit when you factor in gas and wear and tear on the vehicle. The occasional primetime/surge makes it more bearable for drivers (although I do agree that some of the Uber surge pricing is pretty insane).
    I mainly do it because my main freelance job is too sporadic, and the flexible hours make it possible for me to go to school and work when I have free time. It's definitely not something someone can do full time and make a decent living.
    Last edited by CrimesceneCookie; 11-04-2014 at 09:18 PM.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Times of need? Take a cab then.
    So what is stopping actual cab companies from implementing "surge pricing" in every city across the U.S.? Are they under federal regulation for doing so or are cab companies just being realistic and nice. Surge pricing would be every morning, lunchtime, and rush hour. Steve just about every company provides some kind of service or need and there comes a time when a customer needs that service. For a customer to have their ride arrive to find that they're being gouged to this extent is beyond comprehension. Its greed and taking advantage of people. It's no different than any other crime or scheme. Its also false advertisement when you quote a price and agree on that price and it is considerably more when you go out to buy it. What if every pizza company started charging surge pricing and just by ordering it was your agreement to pay whatever price the delivery man quoted you when he arrived. I think everyone should start charging surge pricing. I think everyone should charge surge pricing when appropriate. every fast food worker should be paid 500 dollars an hour to make burgers during lunch and dinner and so on and so forth with every other line of work.
    holy shit dude
    ^I earned this.^

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    So what is stopping actual cab companies from implementing "surge pricing" in every city across the U.S.? Are they under federal regulation for doing so or are cab companies just being realistic and nice. Surge pricing would be every morning, lunchtime, and rush hour. Steve just about every company provides some kind of service or need and there comes a time when a customer needs that service. For a customer to have their ride arrive to find that they're being gouged to this extent is beyond comprehension. Its greed and taking advantage of people. It's no different than any other crime or scheme. Its also false advertisement when you quote a price and agree on that price and it is considerably more when you go out to buy it. What if every pizza company started charging surge pricing and just by ordering it was your agreement to pay whatever price the delivery man quoted you when he arrived. I think everyone should start charging surge pricing. I think everyone should charge surge pricing when appropriate. every fast food worker should be paid 500 dollars an hour to make burgers during lunch and dinner and so on and so forth with every other line of work.
    Could be wrong, but pretty sure you are well aware of the surge pricing before you get picked up. It shows it when you order the service. Doesn't make it right, but it should be far from a surprise.

First off: The customer will find out long before they "have their ride arrive". They are presented with this information up front.
    Secondly: It's a matter of differing theories behind addressing supply during times of higher demand. Do you want to wait longer or pay more? If they were the only game in town you could argue that they're gouging... As they are not, it's a matter of giving customers the choice of how they want to deal with demand. Are their financial benefits to the company, sure... but it's not as simple as "greed".
    Third: I assure you nothing the cab companies are doing is a factor of them being "nice".

The bottom line is that as a consumer you DO have a choice. Do you want to pay more at times of high demand in order to get your car faster? Then uber may be the right choice for you... Do you want to wait longer in order to save on the cost? Then there are several other options available to you. And given that you are presented with all of this information before you choose to request a car through Uber, and that, generally, there ARE other choices available to you. Saying that this is "taking advantage of people" is kind of absurd.

"Times of need?"

People who can afford going out and partying on the town on a holiday weekend who don't plan on having a DD and want to take a car service home are hardly in "times of need."

"Its also false advertisement when you quote a price and agree on that price and it is considerably more when you go out to buy it."

Do you really not understand how this works?

12/16: A Winged Victory for the Sullen @ The Independent
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar
    12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

old school

There is no guarantee you are getting your uber ride any faster than a cab. I agree with you all and hope every business in every sector adopts "surge pricing" as a fair value to retain consumers.
    holy shit dude
    ^I earned this.^

old school

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    Are their financial benefits to the company, sure... but it's not as simple as "greed".
    This is hilarious. You must be a shareholder.
    holy shit dude
    ^I earned this.^

There is no guarantee you are getting your uber ride any faster than a cab. I agree with you all and hope every business in every sector adopts "surge pricing" as a fair value to retain consumers.
    You are given enough information up front to make the choice yourself: Surge rate as well as estimated time for car to arrive. From there you can decide if you think you'll get a cab faster...

But clearly, you're deliberately missing the point... and that's cool too... You're free to make that choice, just as a consumer is free to choose between an uber, cab, lyft, handicab, etc...

The one thing you can't do is claim that the woman referenced above was "duped". (Although you CAN choose to give her money to help fund her bad decisions... Which... shit... If I had that option after all the bad decisions I made in my twenties... I'd... well probably be less of a man now... but I may have spared myself some financial hardship along the way... but I digress)

Consider the poor, drunk white women in their times of need: not wanting to wait 20-30 minutes for a cheaper ride home.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Also, cab companies have specialized licenses and make contracted agreements with the cities in which they are located - that is how fare rates are determined. Uber and other ride-sharing services do not.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

old school

I get it I know what needs are. Water, shelter, basic food and nothing more. I also realize that the woman in that article was probably more aimed at getting discovered and launching her modeling career rather than outing uber for their pricing structure. I have heard of other instances where the insanely inflated rate comes as a surprise when the vehicle arrives to pick up the consumer which is misleading and wrong especially when most of those people are not in a frame of mind to make a serious cognitive decision like paying 60 or 80x what a standard cab costs. Sounds like surge pricing is a method of preying and taking advantage of such people.
    holy shit dude
    ^I earned this.^

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Also, cab companies have specialized licenses and make contracted agreements with the cities in which they are located - that is how fare rates are determined. Uber and other ride-sharing services do not.
    Yeah and they also carry the proper required business insurance to cover the passengers medical expenses or restitution to the bequeathed should anything bad happen.
    holy shit dude
    ^I earned this.^

How does it come as a surprise when a customer has to type in the surge and then agree to an estimate of what the cost of the trip will be before the cab shows up?

old school

The key word in your post being ESTIMATE.
    holy shit dude
    ^I earned this.^

old school

Which is apparently a loose term with uber.
    holy shit dude
    ^I earned this.^

It would be useful to see the variation between the estimate provided and the actual fare charged, but I still really struggle with the idea that the estimates are so wildly off that people end up paying exorbitantly more than what they agreed upon.

I am all for regulating Uber et al for insurance. It's just hard to get worked up about a luxury service providing luxury at an increased cost during specific hours.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Okay, shotglass76, we get it, you're a moron.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

Got charged $86 on Saturday weekend 1 this year from the Polo Fields to PGA West... After that we found some local people who drove us round trip for $20. Fuck UBER...
    2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015

Upcoming Shows:

12/20 Com Truise @ Glasslands
    12/27 Murs @ The Roxy
    02/05 Bonobo @ Output
    04/10 - 04/12 Coachella Wk 1

old school

Its mind boggling how so many people in today's society eqate high prices to luxury. A nice leather seat in a limo is more luxurious than the synthetic fiber stained interiors of many uber rides and costs the same in some instances and maybe even less in others. I am always proud to wear the badge of morondom when pointing out the obvious.
    holy shit dude
    ^I earned this.^