Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WARNING - UBER RIP OFF

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: WARNING - UBER RIP OFF

Coachella can't control businesses operating outside of their grounds.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

oh yeah...another solution for this...don't fucking stay in Palm springs

used a combination of uber, taxis and private sedans this year and didn't have problem one with any. always knew what the uber price would be before I accepted and it never changed once I did. in fact, uber even undercharged me once. they were a godsend to have as an option this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Indio could enact ordinances to keep Uber away from the Polo Grounds. Taxis pay taxes and should have preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I highly doubt they have the resources to enforce that during the festival.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by genemarty View Post
    $840 spent on uber. 8 rides between palm desert & coachella festival over the course of 4 days (thurs-sunday). we had to take a suv each day. we knew what we were getting into but the friday night ride was $240. not something that i was cool with, especially after the clusterfuck that was the uber pickup on friday - police closed roads to uber lot, no uber cars were available for pickup unless you wanted to walk to the cvs 2 miles from the venue. uber really made a killing. i can't complain too much - we kept doing it. after a day of dancing for 12 hours, it's hard to wait in a 2 hour cab line. with that said, fuck you uber.
    I am so mad about this UBER thing that I think there should be some kind of an investigation for price gouging.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Coachella Valley cabbies irate over Uber
    Barrett Newkirk, The Desert Sun 10:59 p.m. PDT April 23, 2014

THOUSAND PALMS – With the two weekends of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival behind them, desert cab companies praised efforts to reduce traffic congestion from one weekend to the next.

But part of the problem, they said Wednesday, was the “over-saturation” of cars from the competing service Uber.

“I definitely think there’s enough business to go around when there isn’t the over-saturation of vehicles,” said Michal Brock with Yellow Cab of the Desert.

Uber, a service that allows people to use their smartphones to connect with drivers offering rides in private vehicles, has operated in the Coachella Valley since at least last fall. It announced its official launch in the area in early April, just in time for the Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals.

For Stagecoach, which begins Friday, Brock and other cab company officials said they expect Uber to be less attractive to the county music festival’s older audience. Uber is also the official transportation service for the White Party this upcoming weekend in Palm Springs.

Uber hasn’t revealed how many drivers it’s bringing in for these events, and a spokesman would only say they numbered far more than the 318 or so local taxis during Coachella. A spokesman did not respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

Brock, however, said it looked like Uber easily had more than 1,000 drivers around the Empire Polo Grounds in Indio and possibly many more throughout the valley.

Cab companies on Wednesday urged SunLine Transit Agency, which regulates local cabs, to take a hard-line on Uber.

“With the glut of Uber cars here, they really cause traffic gridlock in and out of the facility,” Bill Meyers, a driver and owner with Yellow Cab of the Desert, told SunLine’s Board of Directors. “That really hinders our ability to pick up people expeditiously and to make the money we need to make to survive through the summer.”

The cab companies say their pricing is straightforward and consistent, while Uber has drawn ire because of price hikes during high-demand periods.

At Coachella, Uber got promotional help through social media from celebrities like Lindsay Lohan, who tweeted about her use of the service.

But other people took to Twitter to complain about high prices. Palm Desert resident Matthew Longstreth said he paid $89 to take Uber to the festival on the first Saturday, but when his driver warned him that rates would quadruple after midnight, he decided to make other plans and was able to find another ride home.

“I think the biggest issue was the midnight-to-3 a.m. crowd,” Longstreth said. “It was like it turns into a pumpkin on midnight and all the rules change.”

The state Public Utilities Commission, not local authorities, oversees ride-sharing companies such as Uber, which has created some concerns among taxi operators that the competition isn’t being held to the same standards.

SunLine officials said they’ll look at the issue in an effort to improve services for next year’s festivals and other large events.

The SunLine Board on Wednesday voted to keep local taxi rates unchanged for the time being, but some members said rising gas prices could mean an increase is coming. SunLine in 2013 increased its per-mile charge from $3.04 to $3.12.

Board members also approved a new two-year contract for SunLine bus drivers and other unionized workers. Among its provisions, the contract gives members of the union a raise of at least 3 percent on May 1.

Reach Barrett Newkirk at (760)778-4767, barrett.newkirk@thedesertsun or on Twitter @barrettnewkirk.

http://www.desertsun.com/story/money...-uber/8084531/
    I think competitors to Uber, like LYFT and Sidecar should enter the Coachella market next year, than Uber will not be able to PRICE GOUGUE people

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    Similar sentiments have been echoed through major markets. Plus Uber's CEO is a douche as well.
    Tell us more about the Uber CEO being a douche.

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    Tell us more about the Uber CEO being a douche.
    Uber CEO mocks ‘surge pricing’ complaints on Facebook

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/e...-Facebook.html

Uber CEO on Surge Pricing: Get Used to It

http://business.time.com/2014/01/08/...et-used-to-it/

Uber admits to encouraging surge pricing, withholding drivers in San Diego

http://gigaom.com/2014/02/26/uber-ad...lding-drivers/
    Last edited by LQlocalsgetaride; 04-25-2014 at 09:33 AM.
    `But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'

`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.

`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'

Lewis Carroll

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I am so mad about this UBER thing that I think there should be some kind of an investigation for price gouging.
    anyone who used uber and spent money like that could have easily found a local giving rides for a quarter of the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Instead of complaining about UBER don't use their service....if nobody paid that kind if money for a short cab ride then they wouldn't charge that amount.

EVERYONE FUCK-UP, this thread should cease to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Instead of complaining about UBER don't use their service....if nobody paid that kind if money for a short cab ride then they wouldn't charge that amount.

EVERYONE FUCK-UP, this thread should cease to exist.
    people complaining about people complaining >

There was a Shuttle Buss Rip Off. It cost me 60 dollars for 8 buss rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Fffrancisco View Post
    There was a Shuttle Buss Rip Off. It cost me 60 dollars for 8 buss rides.
    $7 per ride...I hope you're joking
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Yea, I was joking

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    anyone who used uber and spent money like that could have easily found a local giving rides for a quarter of the price.
    "easily"? That may be an overstatement. Other rides could be found, but it takes work with 80,000 others attempting to leave in a myriad of ways.

on Saturday night we got flagged down by 3 fucked up kids asking for a ride to their car, they slapped us $50 to take them around the corner.

Uber is a private company. Their prices, while often very high during peak demand times (holidays, festivals, etc), are very transparent. You can type in your desired location and it will give you a price quote with the current multiplier, and it is almost always spot on. You don't HAVE to use Uber. Don't complain if you are unhappy with something you agreed to.

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    4 - Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl
    8-10 - Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park
    14 - Death From Above 1979 - Troubadour
    20 - The Strokes - Chelsea at Cosmopolitan

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    on Saturday night we got flagged down by 3 fucked up kids asking for a ride to their car, they slapped us $50 to take them around the corner.
    i've gotten rides from attendees, sometimes for free, locals giving out rides for $5 a head, there are people everywhere trying to make money off this shit. you just have to be resourceful.
    Last edited by heart cooks brain; 05-07-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    i've gotten rides from attendees, sometimes for free, locals giving out rides for $50 a head, there are people everywhere trying to make money off this shit. you just have to be resourceful.
    I wouldn't pay $50 for a head. I get mine free.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

sorry that was a typo. it should read $5.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Coachella can't control businesses operating outside of their grounds.
    The promoters can control who gets access to the taxi area nearest to the ground since the city gives them permission to control traffic within a certain perimeter.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 05-09-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Folks, if you can, walking is better than that overpriced UBER. If possible walk. If not, find a cheaper ride alternative. UBER should get its head out of its greedy capitalistic ass, or B.K. in a few years for them, and well deserved I might add. I hate a world where Tower Records goes under and UBER thrives.

I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just came back from the doctor with an AIDS diagnosis, and the doctor said I caught it from an LQlocals bus seat.
    Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Uber was at the Hanger 24 Craft Brewary 6th Anniversary party who had Everclear play. I spoke with a lady Marketing a Table in their party and asked them about this thread. She thinks someone who runs a Taxi might of started it. She was convinced that they where cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Fffrancisco View Post
    Uber was at the Hanger 24 Craft Brewary 6th Anniversary party who had Everclear play. I spoke with a lady Marketing a Table in their party and asked them about this thread. She thinks someone who runs a Taxi might of started it. She was convinced that they where cheaper.
    lol...niiice

how to get rid of Uber junk?

put Uber in jail because of illegally operating transportation of the people like trafficking

Don't like it?

Take a cab.

They are regulated, metered, inspected, certified, and insured. They pay taxes to the locality where they are operating. Prices remain the same no matter what day it is.

Why support some greedy asshole in San Francisco who takes advantage of somebody else's capital investment (car) to take money out of the hands of poor African refugee cab drivers that are trying to make a living the only way they can?
    They heard me singing and they told me to STOP.

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    Don't like it?

Take a cab.

They are regulated, metered, inspected, certified, and insured. They pay taxes to the locality where they are operating. Prices remain the same no matter what day it is.
    No. You've obviously never dealt with the thousands of terrible taxi drivers who try to extort people into paying up front/ fixed rate bullshit when it's busy out.

Both Uber and taxis suck.