Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WARNING - UBER RIP OFF

Default Re: WARNING - UBER RIP OFF

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Its price gouging plain and fucking simple. People plan their night around Uber's offer only to get to the vehicle and find they're going to be gouged 4x the price quoted. They could have and would have made other arrangements had they known they were going to be fucked hard by "surge pricing" offered by uber. Fuck uber and fuck your return customers that like getting fucked hard in the ass with no lube.
    You have a multitude of options. Uber's model is pay for access vs lack of supply. You can blame Uber for charging more or you can bitch about there not being any cabs available. Both models have their pain points.
    You could also contract a car service in advance yourself, etc, etc. Blaming Uber for using a demand driven model is pointless, what do you think they should do instead? They couldnt provide cars at a regulated price because then the issue would become supply.

The cab/uber pickup point is unreasonably far away.

And after that endless death march, an uber to the Indian Waters RV park in Indio was $31.50 last night.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by disch0rd View Post
    Poor Tink Tink...
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Try reaching out to your cousin yet?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coachella 2012 - Weekend 2
    Coachella 2013 - Weekend 2
    Coachella 2014 - Weekend 1

and you people are surprised? most of the "private transportation services" i've encountered are shady as fuck. people with limited vocabulary driving cars with 56" rims should be a red flag.
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Maybe Sidecar and Lyft are better than Uber. I just walked to my motel, quicker than waiting for a rip off taxi.

...while you are waiting (in the dirt) for a cab or uber....
    for how long?
    in the meantime -
    ---- there were plenty of shuttles waiting to pick you up (in the grass) and get you where ever you wanted to go for a reasonable rate. even the 'so called bandits' were taking low fares. No gouging or misconduct as reported about uber. Too many to mention here the list is endless and scary, just google: "uber reviews"

Thanks to #Rhondasshuttleservice, #sopranolimousine , & #lqlocalsgetaride for getting many home safely. (((BTW: we all speak proper English and drove proper shuttle vans and limousines and know the area well.)))

Brit: Abroad
    "... eventually had to give in to high-demand capitalism and pay $300 for a 30 minute Uber ride - the same as it would have cost to get here from LA. Shame on Coachella for treating its patrons like shit and shame on Uber for partnering with the festival, claiming to offer a service, and then quadrupling their prices for no other reason than they know people were desperate. That's a pretty shitty way to run a festival."

http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/br...coachella-2014
    Last edited by LQlocalsgetaride; 04-16-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    Maybe Sidecar and Lyft are better than Uber. I just walked to my motel, quicker than waiting for a rip off taxi.
    Ken is da man. I agree totally.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Ken is da man. I agree totally.
    One of those companies has mustachioed cars.

The cars would stop at the shuttle bus stops trying to take people to Coachella at inflated rates (e.g., $30-45 when the shuttle folks had already paid $60 for their 3-day passes).
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by LQlocalsgetaride View Post
    read the headlines dude!!
    The Desert Sun --- "Uber at Coachella: Long lines, surge pricing"

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/...hella/7642559/

"As to be expected, there were long lines to hitch a ride from Uber at Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival on Friday night.

Last night, people who grew tired of waiting in long lines for Uber cars in the shuttle and taxi area apparently hopped a fence to walk instead..."

"There were other hiccups besides the long lines. Others complained about the exorbitant price during peak hours, and that some drivers were unfamiliar with the Indio area. The company adjusts its pricing according to the demand, as part of its business model. The greater the demand, the higher the price. Some Twitter users said the price surged three to four times higher."
    I walked both ways every day from my motel to the venue. It is cheaper. However, some of those staying further away don't have that luxury.

old school

Attachment 12072
    The reaction from Uber has been equally strong. In short: Don’t want to pay the fare? Fantastic. Don’t use the service.”
    Not the point Uber. It's not that people don't want to pay its that they don't want to be taken advantage of. Don't make offers you have no intention of keeping. People agree to pay the original quote only to be find it four times what was quoted is unethical and puts people in a compromised position. Cab prices are regulated and this should be regulated the exact same. Surge pricing = strong arm robbery. I hope somebody eventually sues the fucking life out of your scam of what you refer to as an honest business. Its amazing your drivers dont get car jacked pulling fucked up shit like this.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Not the point Uber. It's not that people don't want to pay its that they don't want to be taken advantage of. Don't make offers you have no intention of keeping. People agree to pay the original quote only to be find it four times what was quoted is unethical and puts people in a compromised position. Cab prices are regulated and this should be regulated the exact same. Surge pricing = strong arm robbery. I hope somebody eventually sues the fucking life out of your scam of what you refer to as an honest business. Its amazing your drivers dont get car jacked pulling fucked up shit like this.
    Uber had a booth at the Filter Party. My friend signed up on her smart phone and the guy promised the first ride from the party to Motel 6 would be only $8. I am starting to think that guy may have lied based on some of these posts.

old school

All I'm saying is if both parties agree on a price via an app or phone call then thats as good as a handshake in business and to jack up a price no matter what company it is for whatever reason is unethical and the most dishonest business I can think of. They won't be in business very long doing that to people. So much business comes from referrals.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

All I'm saying is if both parties agree on a price via an app or phone call then thats as good as a handshake in business and to jack up a price no matter what company it is for whatever reason is unethical and the most dishonest business I can think of. They won't be in business very long doing that to people. So much business comes from referrals.
    There is no way this is actually happening unless people are somehow using Uber without actually using Uber.

The driver doesn't really have any say in the price... they can't demand extra fare, as payment is all handled automatically via the app... which tells you from the get go if surge pricing is in effect.

I've used Uber countless times and always got exactly what I expected from the experience.

Further, our group used Uber three times over the weekend... twice to the festival, once home... One of my crew had an issue once on the way home, where they were having a difficult time calling an UberX (because, really, the hailing aspect of the app is not designed for an event of this nature... which IS a problem, but not remotely related to the shit being claimed in here), and ended up with an Uber Black. As a result, he was told to email their support address with the name of the person he was working with and they would comp the ride... which... he's already received confirmation that the charge is being reversed (obviously his bank hasn't reported it yet, cause these things don't work that fast). There was another time where we thought about taking an Uber back... saw that surge pricing was in effect (to the tune of 3.5x) and decided to choose a different option.

If anyone is complaining about the price, they would have had enough information from the get go to know what they were getting in to (unless they don't understand basic math), and still chose to get in the car. Like an earlier post in the thread, I, too, have decided to take an uber car once while surge pricing was in effect after a night out... but I didn't blame Uber for that, I recognized that I had the choice to wait however long it would have taken for a taxi vs having an uber there in 2 minutes...

Equating the surge pricing to gouging or bait and switch or whatever is at best grossly misrepresenting their model.

OUCH!

Uber-Coachella 554.jpg

send us a message, we won't surge our prices - reserve soon - we are getting booked. We had many repeats weekend 1.
    If we are not available, we would be happy to refer you to another reputable service.
    Please send us a message and we will get back to you as soon as we can. Super busy and loving every minute of it!

By the way, welcome to our cozy valley.
    Last edited by LQlocalsgetaride; 04-16-2014 at 10:22 AM.

^damn, I would not pay that. file a claim with the Card company or something, but I would not pay that.
    "I would rather be an indication of my future, than a product of my past" ~ Me

LQlocalsgetaride was probably the best decision I have made during my trip to coachella. They pick you up from your hotel and drop you off at the festival at the specified time you request. If I used UBER Then my wallet would be empty by Saturday. I recommend using their service for Coachella 2015.. They are not shady people and they can spark up a conversation the whole ride. They picked up my group of 12 Friday-Sunday at 2PM Sharp and provided us water and soda for our refreshment needs. It was only $10 a person.. thats $20 a day and $60 for the whole weekend total. They drop you off at the parent pick up which in my honest opinion is way a way better walk than the actual SHUTTLE DROPOFF/PICKUP..

die spammer die
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Ill spam while you can die from the walk to the uber taxi line.... fucking cunt

Quote Originally Posted by mattskye21 View Post
    Ill spam while you can die from the walk to the uber taxi line.... fucking cunt
    Gee calling someone a cunt, that will get you business, you fucktard. I never hear Ronald McDonald cuss out Burger King. Take a marketing class at your local community college and learn how to properly promote a business (without spamming on this message board)

$840 spent on uber. 8 rides between palm desert & coachella festival over the course of 4 days (thurs-sunday). we had to take a suv each day. we knew what we were getting into but the friday night ride was $240. not something that i was cool with, especially after the clusterfuck that was the uber pickup on friday - police closed roads to uber lot, no uber cars were available for pickup unless you wanted to walk to the cvs 2 miles from the venue. uber really made a killing. i can't complain too much - we kept doing it. after a day of dancing for 12 hours, it's hard to wait in a 2 hour cab line. with that said, fuck you uber.

Fuck Uber. Enjoy the Walmartization of ride sharing.
    Hernan Cattaneo b2b Nick Warren and Guy J @ Kingdom Austin 8/31 | Lone. @ Empire Control Room Austin 9/11 | Tycho @ Granada Theatre 9/22 | Sam Smith @ House of Blues Dallas 10/9 | SBTRKT @ House of Blues Dallas 10/12 | Catz n Dogz @ It'll Do 11/1 | Death From Above 1979 @ Granada Theater 11/8 | Eats Everything @ Kingdom Austin 11/13

Coachella Valley cabbies irate over Uber
    Barrett Newkirk, The Desert Sun 10:59 p.m. PDT April 23, 2014

THOUSAND PALMS – With the two weekends of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival behind them, desert cab companies praised efforts to reduce traffic congestion from one weekend to the next.

But part of the problem, they said Wednesday, was the “over-saturation” of cars from the competing service Uber.

“I definitely think there’s enough business to go around when there isn’t the over-saturation of vehicles,” said Michal Brock with Yellow Cab of the Desert.

Uber, a service that allows people to use their smartphones to connect with drivers offering rides in private vehicles, has operated in the Coachella Valley since at least last fall. It announced its official launch in the area in early April, just in time for the Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals.

For Stagecoach, which begins Friday, Brock and other cab company officials said they expect Uber to be less attractive to the county music festival’s older audience. Uber is also the official transportation service for the White Party this upcoming weekend in Palm Springs.

Uber hasn’t revealed how many drivers it’s bringing in for these events, and a spokesman would only say they numbered far more than the 318 or so local taxis during Coachella. A spokesman did not respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

Brock, however, said it looked like Uber easily had more than 1,000 drivers around the Empire Polo Grounds in Indio and possibly many more throughout the valley.

Cab companies on Wednesday urged SunLine Transit Agency, which regulates local cabs, to take a hard-line on Uber.

“With the glut of Uber cars here, they really cause traffic gridlock in and out of the facility,” Bill Meyers, a driver and owner with Yellow Cab of the Desert, told SunLine’s Board of Directors. “That really hinders our ability to pick up people expeditiously and to make the money we need to make to survive through the summer.”

The cab companies say their pricing is straightforward and consistent, while Uber has drawn ire because of price hikes during high-demand periods.

At Coachella, Uber got promotional help through social media from celebrities like Lindsay Lohan, who tweeted about her use of the service.

But other people took to Twitter to complain about high prices. Palm Desert resident Matthew Longstreth said he paid $89 to take Uber to the festival on the first Saturday, but when his driver warned him that rates would quadruple after midnight, he decided to make other plans and was able to find another ride home.

“I think the biggest issue was the midnight-to-3 a.m. crowd,” Longstreth said. “It was like it turns into a pumpkin on midnight and all the rules change.”

The state Public Utilities Commission, not local authorities, oversees ride-sharing companies such as Uber, which has created some concerns among taxi operators that the competition isn’t being held to the same standards.

SunLine officials said they’ll look at the issue in an effort to improve services for next year’s festivals and other large events.

The SunLine Board on Wednesday voted to keep local taxi rates unchanged for the time being, but some members said rising gas prices could mean an increase is coming. SunLine in 2013 increased its per-mile charge from $3.04 to $3.12.

Board members also approved a new two-year contract for SunLine bus drivers and other unionized workers. Among its provisions, the contract gives members of the union a raise of at least 3 percent on May 1.

Reach Barrett Newkirk at (760)778-4767, barrett.newkirk@thedesertsun or on Twitter @barrettnewkirk.

http://www.desertsun.com/story/money...-uber/8084531/

Coachella needs to ban Uber.

OUCH!

Uber-Coachella 554.jpg

send us a message, we won't surge our prices - reserve soon - we are getting booked. We had many repeats weekend 1.
    If we are not available, we would be happy to refer you to another reputable service.
    Please send us a message and we will get back to you as soon as we can. Super busy and loving every minute of it!

By the way, welcome to our cozy valley.

Who in their right mind would pay that ridiculous amount?

You know the price before getting in an Uber car, why would you go ahead and agree to that?
    Last edited by ialvarado2; 04-24-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Coachella Valley cabbies irate over Uber
    Barrett Newkirk, The Desert Sun 10:59 p.m. PDT April 23, 2014

THOUSAND PALMS – With the two weekends of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival behind them, desert cab companies praised efforts to reduce traffic congestion from one weekend to the next.

But part of the problem, they said Wednesday, was the “over-saturation” of cars from the competing service Uber.

“I definitely think there’s enough business to go around when there isn’t the over-saturation of vehicles,” said Michal Brock with Yellow Cab of the Desert.

Uber, a service that allows people to use their smartphones to connect with drivers offering rides in private vehicles, has operated in the Coachella Valley since at least last fall. It announced its official launch in the area in early April, just in time for the Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals.

For Stagecoach, which begins Friday, Brock and other cab company officials said they expect Uber to be less attractive to the county music festival’s older audience. Uber is also the official transportation service for the White Party this upcoming weekend in Palm Springs.

Uber hasn’t revealed how many drivers it’s bringing in for these events, and a spokesman would only say they numbered far more than the 318 or so local taxis during Coachella. A spokesman did not respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

Brock, however, said it looked like Uber easily had more than 1,000 drivers around the Empire Polo Grounds in Indio and possibly many more throughout the valley.

Cab companies on Wednesday urged SunLine Transit Agency, which regulates local cabs, to take a hard-line on Uber.

“With the glut of Uber cars here, they really cause traffic gridlock in and out of the facility,” Bill Meyers, a driver and owner with Yellow Cab of the Desert, told SunLine’s Board of Directors. “That really hinders our ability to pick up people expeditiously and to make the money we need to make to survive through the summer.”

The cab companies say their pricing is straightforward and consistent, while Uber has drawn ire because of price hikes during high-demand periods.

At Coachella, Uber got promotional help through social media from celebrities like Lindsay Lohan, who tweeted about her use of the service.

But other people took to Twitter to complain about high prices. Palm Desert resident Matthew Longstreth said he paid $89 to take Uber to the festival on the first Saturday, but when his driver warned him that rates would quadruple after midnight, he decided to make other plans and was able to find another ride home.

“I think the biggest issue was the midnight-to-3 a.m. crowd,” Longstreth said. “It was like it turns into a pumpkin on midnight and all the rules change.”

The state Public Utilities Commission, not local authorities, oversees ride-sharing companies such as Uber, which has created some concerns among taxi operators that the competition isn’t being held to the same standards.

SunLine officials said they’ll look at the issue in an effort to improve services for next year’s festivals and other large events.

The SunLine Board on Wednesday voted to keep local taxi rates unchanged for the time being, but some members said rising gas prices could mean an increase is coming. SunLine in 2013 increased its per-mile charge from $3.04 to $3.12.

Board members also approved a new two-year contract for SunLine bus drivers and other unionized workers. Among its provisions, the contract gives members of the union a raise of at least 3 percent on May 1.

Reach Barrett Newkirk at (760)778-4767, barrett.newkirk@thedesertsun or on Twitter @barrettnewkirk.

http://www.desertsun.com/story/money...-uber/8084531/
    Similar sentiments have been echoed through major markets. Plus Uber's CEO is a douche as well.
    Hernan Cattaneo b2b Nick Warren and Guy J @ Kingdom Austin 8/31 | Lone. @ Empire Control Room Austin 9/11 | Tycho @ Granada Theatre 9/22 | Sam Smith @ House of Blues Dallas 10/9 | SBTRKT @ House of Blues Dallas 10/12 | Catz n Dogz @ It'll Do 11/1 | Death From Above 1979 @ Granada Theater 11/8 | Eats Everything @ Kingdom Austin 11/13

Fuck Uber. I removed their app and now use Lyft exclusively.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Coachella needs to ban Uber.
    It sounds like Uber is monopolizing cab use during coachella. The worst part is if every cab driver is using it, will everyone will have to pay the surge charge? I'd just call cab companies to dodge it. Hopefully Coachella can do something about it...although they're shuttles is them doing something about it. Shuttles for the win ya'll.

you get enough idoits will to pay 100$ for the ride, then all the cabs will be directed to Uber. nothing more fucking annoying where I live when you keep trying to flag a cab down and they all pass you....you know its FUCKING UBER!