Thread: My Friday Writeup: You're Such a Lovely Audience We'd Like to Take You Home With Us

Default My Friday Writeup: You're Such a Lovely Audience We'd Like to Take You Home With Us

A really great day. This is how Coachella should be. (with perhaps a couple of minor exceptions). If you are looking for Tom to bitch and moan about shit like I have in past years, move along, you're gonna be disappointed.

So I started early on Friday, I was in the gates before noon, which, if you don't like standing in line, is a great way to do it. I explored the grounds a bit and I approve. the 5 extra acres on the Terrace really works well. the artwork is great this year. moving the do lab is very much an improvement. the redecorated gobi is pretty cool. Two thumbs up all around. Weekend 2 people, time to get excited.

I went early to see the Gabba Gabba Heys, who are a Ramones cover/tribute band. Now there seems to be something inherently uncool about tribute bands generally, so I think I feel kind of guilty for having enjoyed this set as much as i did. they were loud and fast and played a great setlist and I had fun. Good start to my tenth Coachella.

Caught part of Waxahatchee, which was fine. The singer has a really nice voice, even if the band does seem to lack a bit of charisma.

GOAT was next and they were superb. I was surprised they didn't have any keyboards in the band, I guess I just kind of assumed there was an organ. But they sounded great.. exotic and rhythmic and trippy.

Dum Dum Girls were next, Dee Dee looking sexy as hell wearing a sheer black see through top with black pasties underneath (google it). They had sound issues early on -- something happened with one of their guitars and i don't know what else. Eventually they got it fixed and finished really strong. They closed with "Coming Down", one of my favorites of theirs, and it was great. I was singing along like an asshole. Woke up with that song in my head this morning.

Went to see Title Fight. I like their record, and I liked them at FFF last fall, but this set was different somehow. It was more emo than I like. oh well. But here's the thing. What is it with bands thanking their audience so profusely between each song? "Aw, thank you, you're a great audience, we're Title Fight, we're happy you're here, ok, we have 4 more songs to go, thank you."

I wasn't feeling the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion either. It may have been more my fault than theirs, I needed to eat and stuff. By the way the vietnamese spring rolls (on the terrace, can't remember the name of the place) are really good. Tasty and light. try them

(EDIT: someone came up to me during Jon Spencer and introduced himself and the only words I could hear were "Tom" and "message board". Sorry, it was loud as fuck in there. I still don't know who you were, but, nice to meet you).

Neko Case was fucking fabulous. Talk about getting the day back on track. Her band was really tight and voice clear and rang like a bell. I could have stayed for the whole thing but I left early to see the Afghan Whigs. Talk about conflicts..

the Afghan Whigs were really great. They sounded good, i mean the sound quality was perfect. Setlist was heavy on the new album. no "John the Baptist", no "Debonair", but still, this set was a highlight of the day. They fucking rocked.

A beer break and then the Replacements, who also fucking rocked, and who also had a weird setlist. Lots of stuff from the first two albums, a Grandpaboy song, with most of the 'hits' left for the end.. and still no "I Will Dare", no "Unsatisfied". But they sounded really great and it ended way, way too soon. I could have listened to a 3 hour set from them. I am sure I annoyed some of the people around me with my singing. those who weren't themselves also singing i mean.

More beer, then I watched part of the Knife, eh, so then I was gonna see the Cult but i didn't. I considered staying for Outkast but decided to call it a day (a long day).. from what I've read I'm not sorry for that decision.
    Last edited by TomAz; 04-12-2014 at 09:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Default Re: My Friday Writeup: You're Such a Lovely Audience We'd Like to Take You Home With

Nice summary Tom. I watched some of the Afghan Whigs and thought it sounded great too. No webcast of Replacements. Glad you are having fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Default Re: My Friday Writeup: You're Such a Lovely Audience We'd Like to Take You Home With

Tom, great to hear you're having a good time and that the crowds aren't too bad this year. I also thought the Neko Case/Afghan Whigs conflict was sort of poor scheduling giving overlap in demographic, but maybe that demographic is such a small percentage of Coachella goers in general that it doesn't matter. Hearing the good reports about the Afghan Whigs makes me really excited about seeing them in Seattle on Tuesday, so woohoo.

Also, I watched the Outkast webcast (webkast? heh) and I think you made a good call on leaving early.

You looked like you were having fun at Jon Spencer when I saw you there. I'm not the one who said hi, just lurked from the side

Cool story bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn163 View Post
    You looked like you were having fun at Jon Spencer when I saw you there. I'm not the one who said hi, just lurked from the side
    creeper
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Yep.

Jesus Tom do you ever have anything positive to say?

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

#newTom2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

full disclosure: I did not know a single Replacement song but I had fun at their set. Pure rock and roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

The Replacements was my first real "I should have bought weekend two" moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio