Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 91 to 119 of 119

Thread: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

  1. #91

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    I actually saw them during soundcheck at coachella. Non of their instruments make the sound they are pretending to play. They are fake. Also the stage crew was pressing play on a machine for all the prerecorded music and baking vocals. Watching soundcheck was such a comical and upsetting expirience. I don't mind, them pretending to play, but I mind if they are making such a statement about this finally being a live show after Europe totally ripped them apart in reviews. Immature dance moves and pretending to play, is that a statement? Is this political? For charging people so much money for sold out shows, and then spend it on glitter costumes and tour, travel trips across the globe? Is this anti capitalism ore a farce joke? Just stop with your political statements, and be real about your delivery on stage for the money you take from people. And I don't know what was worse, the sound ore the dancers singing...

  2. #92
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,797

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    ...or your English.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

  3. #93

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Thank you Pitchfork for your insider information. I am happy that you joined the board after seeing this to let us know this heinous news. Do you work for Pitchfork? I hope you break this news for everyone to see.

  4. #94
    Member mikeoley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Culver City
    Posts
    245

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    *very important side-note noted.

    To me, this particular knife show is no different than what empire of the sun is doing. Except empire has a clear lead and is faking the instruments. Both are just big performance/choreographed productions though. I ate it up the first time, but was annoyed the second. With that said, I never shit on an act until I experience it for myself. This Friday I'll check it out.

  5. #95
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    9,841

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    very political.

    does anyone know the setlist and how long they played?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  6. #96
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,109

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shultz View Post
    (Important side-note: I'm a philosophy major who ate certain special mushrooms before the performance... heh heh)
    Probably should have lead wih this so we could base all your gushing on not being a part of reality. A person can watch a dog taking a shit and be just as entertained on shrooms.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 04-14-2014 at 10:30 AM.

  7. #97
    Coachella Junkie SoulDischarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vampire State Building
    Posts
    16,084

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Only if said person is a moron in the first place. Some of us can function decently and discriminate between quality while in altered states.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

  8. #98
    Member cuauhtemoc723's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    silverlake, los angeles
    Posts
    565

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shultz View Post
    I saw the Knife in Pomona the other day and was completely blown away. I definitely can understand why their performance might be hard to get into for some, though... a lot of the show is indeed prerecorded while the band dances along to it. This can be seen as a shitty substitute for a live performance.

    I liked it as much as I did, though, because they forced me to reconsider my assumptions about what a live performance should be like:

    -There was no "main character" in the band because everyone had a equal part in helping make the music come alive (e.g., Karin and Olof were just two quick introductions among a list of 20+ other people recognized for their hard work with the show).
    -All of the singing sounded like Karin's voice... even though Karin was just one among many other people who sang. This made me wonder if the person at the mic was actually singing or not. My impulse was to be annoyed because I assumed I was there to watch people sing... but then I realized that this probably was part of how they were challenging the audience's assumptions about live performances.
    -Members of the band weren't organized or presented along gendered lines--males and females dressed similarly and had similar roles (e.g., lyrics to "Pass This On" were changed to "I'm in love with your sisters", perhaps to show the arbitrary nature of gender roles)
    -Each person in the band was really animated and super interesting to watch. They looked more like a tribe than a band.
    -The dancing kinda reminded me of drag in that the people involved were acting out the prerecorded music with movement... but was different because it was a unified group, not a single person doing it like in drag.
    -They tried to make it a communal effort by having the audience feel comfortable participating in dancing via the DEEP Aerobics opener who had us jump up and down, wave our arms, say hello to each other, etc. in order to get us to move as a unit like the Knife does (e.g., the DEEP Aerobics guy had us repeat the phrase, "Self-consciousness is the illusion that I am doing this by myself.")

    Anyway, I really loved seeing the Knife and am extremely excited to see them again next weekend. They were unlike anything I've ever seen before for reasons I found really intriguing... but I can totally see how others might be annoyed for these very same reasons. I suppose the best way to approach seeing them is to try to let go of our expectations for what we think we need to see in a live performance.

    (Important side-note: I'm a philosophy major who ate certain special mushrooms before the performance... heh heh)

    TL;DR The Knife delivers... but not in the way one might expect a band should.
    note: my opinion is based on the performance at the fox theater in pomona, which i attended*
    on a scale of 1 to 10, i'd give the performance a 5. i cannot deny the amazing sounds and their talent in recording music, but don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

    the first three songs were amaze-balls. then came the community dance-troupe antics and i was perplexed, but still enjoyed the audio (GREAT sound!). they kept dancing, and then, they danced some more. they took a bow and left the stage, but the (awesome) music never stopped. the lights kept going crazy, the audience facing an empty stage. five minutes later, a couple of stage-hands came and moved a couple of instruments and the crowd went nuts. fifteen minutes later, the curtains dropped, but the music never stopped. the audience was confused. some left shaking their heads and rolling their eyes, others were just staring at the curtain (poor optimistic fools), and the rest decided to dance because the music never stopped.
    one of the best parts of the performance was the aerobics opening guy; he absolutely got the crowd going because almost everyone in the venue was super excited to see the band perform; and there lies the problem/issue. the group played three songs live and danced the rest - it was extremely disappointing.
    while i applaud your point-of-view that they are merely having the audience "let go of [their] expectations for what we think we need to see in a live performance," one may still feel cheated. no one cannot simply say that any performance was good/bad because opinions are based on individual experience; this, inherently makes them subjective.
    but having seen fever ray close out the mohave tent back in 2010, it was the best performance of the weekend for me, hands down. i guess i should not have expectations, but i'm only human...
    second side note: i, too, am a philosophy major (csula 2011). and i smoked cannabis for the performance.
    Jagwar Ma ● the Knife ● GOAT ● the Preatures ● Bo Ningen ● Woodkid ● QOTSA ● Foxygen ● Little Dragon
    DARKSIDE ● Lorde ● Temples ● Factory Floor ● Banks ● Duck Sauce ● Grouplove ● Pet Shop Boys
    ● OutKast ● Muse ● Mogwai ● Austra ● CHVRCHES ● Syd Arthur ● J. Roddy Watson & the Business


    wishlist, still: wishlist, still: missy elliot●oingo boingo●talking heads●grace jones●george clinton●fiona apple
    sweat.x●jamiroquai●space●hooverphonic●los fabulosos cadillacs●la santa cecilia

  9. #99
    Lurker Shultz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Probably should have lead wih this so we could base all your gushing on not being a part of reality. A person can watch a dog taking a shit and be just as entertained on shrooms.
    I could have also mentioned that the sober non-philosophy-major friend I was with appreciated the performance about as much as I did and for similar reasons...

  10. #100
    old school crazzz2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,828

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shultz View Post
    I saw the Knife in Pomona the other day and was completely blown away. I definitely can understand why their performance might be hard to get into for some, though... a lot of the show is indeed prerecorded while the band dances along to it. This can be seen as a shitty substitute for a live performance.

    I liked it as much as I did, though, because they forced me to reconsider my assumptions about what a live performance should be like:

    -There was no "main character" in the band because everyone had a equal part in helping make the music come alive (e.g., Karin and Olof were just two quick introductions among a list of 20+ other people recognized for their hard work with the show).
    -All of the singing sounded like Karin's voice... even though Karin was just one among many other people who sang. This made me wonder if the person at the mic was actually singing or not. My impulse was to be annoyed because I assumed I was there to watch people sing... but then I realized that this probably was part of how they were challenging the audience's assumptions about live performances.
    -Members of the band weren't organized or presented along gendered lines--males and females dressed similarly and had similar roles (e.g., lyrics to "Pass This On" were changed to "I'm in love with your sisters", perhaps to show the arbitrary nature of gender roles)
    -Each person in the band was really animated and super interesting to watch. They looked more like a tribe than a band.
    -The dancing kinda reminded me of drag in that the people involved were acting out the prerecorded music with movement... but was different because it was a unified group, not a single person doing it like in drag.
    -They tried to make it a communal effort by having the audience feel comfortable participating in dancing via the DEEP Aerobics opener who had us jump up and down, wave our arms, say hello to each other, etc. in order to get us to move as a unit like the Knife does (e.g., the DEEP Aerobics guy had us repeat the phrase, "Self-consciousness is the illusion that I am doing this by myself.")

    Anyway, I really loved seeing the Knife and am extremely excited to see them again next weekend. They were unlike anything I've ever seen before for reasons I found really intriguing... but I can totally see how others might be annoyed for these very same reasons. I suppose the best way to approach seeing them is to try to let go of our expectations for what we think we need to see in a live performance.

    (Important side-note: I'm a philosophy major who ate certain special mushrooms before the performance... heh heh)

    TL;DR The Knife delivers... but not in the way one might expect a band should.
    What a stupid post. First you admit that most of the show is prerecorded, than you say that the show "forced me to reconsider my assumptions about what a live performance should be like." Idiot.

  11. #101
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,109

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Just push play.

  12. #102
    Lurker Shultz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Only if said person is a moron in the first place. Some of us can function decently and discriminate between quality while in altered states.
    Quote Originally Posted by cuauhtemoc723 View Post
    no one cannot simply say that any performance was good/bad because opinions are based on individual experience; this, inherently makes them subjective.
    Amen, earth sibling. There is indeed no such thing as an objective opinion. Perhaps this is hard for some of us to remember

  13. #103
    Lurker Shultz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    What a stupid post. First you admit that most of the show is prerecorded, than you say that the show "forced me to reconsider my assumptions about what a live performance should be like." Idiot.
    Well, you see... the fact that most of the show was prerecorded is exactly why the show "forced me to reconsider my assumptions about what a live performance should be like"... you know, because we expect "live" should only mean "performed organically in front of me"... but the Knife seem to be challenging this assumption about what "live" means... which is my point... *heartfelt sigh*

  14. #104

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Challenging it lol , EDM has been doing this for how long now ? The knife aren't changing shit .
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

  15. #105

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    I actually enjoyed the Coachella set more than the Pomona show.
    I was pit for the Pomona show and about 30 ft from rail (center) for the Coachella show. The sound was a lot better at Coachella.

    They played for about an hour (finished before Outkast started).
    Similar setlist to Pomona show, but no 'full of fire'.

  16. #106
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    9,841

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    what about bird?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  17. #107

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    bird was there
    Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    what about bird?

  18. #108
    Member anonimouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,188

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    the knife was fucking awesome. it reminded me of fischerspooner's last tour with the big mirrors and dancing girls but taken waaaaay beyond. the theatrics and performance art vibe totally worked and made the whole experience very unique. i might skip outkast again next week.
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

  19. #109
    Coachella Junkie fatbastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    12,258

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    300 bucks for a jump suit at the merch booth was really dumb.
    Whiskey Sour

    2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

    Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

  20. #110
    Bambi menikmati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    15,060

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    I have my recording/bootleg of this set available in the bootleg thread for those interested.

  21. #111
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    9,841

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    300 bucks for a jump suit at the merch booth was really dumb.
    lolwat
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  22. #112
    old school crazzz2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,828

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shultz View Post
    Well, you see... the fact that most of the show was prerecorded is exactly why the show "forced me to reconsider my assumptions about what a live performance should be like"... you know, because we expect "live" should only mean "performed organically in front of me"... but the Knife seem to be challenging this assumption about what "live" means... which is my point... *heartfelt sigh*
    i don't know what to say to this...

  23. #113

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The show was genuinely incredible. Stop letting videos do the talking. I absolutely loved it. If you are a fan, watch the set.
    ^ This!

    I'm very happy they didn't play heartbeats. All of the idiots that just went for that got skull fucked by Karins Voice.
    Boubakiki>Tom Odell>Flatbush Zombies>GOAT>Austra>MS MR>Jagwar Ma>HAIM>Shlohmo>Bonobo>Woodkid>Bryan Ferry>The Knife>Outkast>
    Syd Arthur>Sander Kleinenberg>Temples>Guy Gerber>Julian Casablancas>Warpaint>Future Islands>Lorde>Pixies>Pharrell>Muse>
    Trombone Shorty>Fishbone>Poolside>Scuba>Rudimental>Blood Orange>ill-Esha>Aluna George>Little Dragon>The Toy Dolls>Lana Del Rey> Beck>Motorhead>Netsky>Arcade Fire

  24. #114

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    loved this show. and I especially loved being able to catch it from just a few rows back w minimal effort.

    seems trite in retrospect, but that moment where one of the dancers addressed the crowd w something along the lines of " ... w/out you (this?) my life would be so boooooring!!!" really hit me at that moment in time. nothing better than dancing up a storm w an appreciative crowd. the knife absolutely delivered in that respect

  25. #115
    Coachella Junkie rage patton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    26,489

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    I love that everyone who saw The Knife in Pomona and at Coachella loved it and enjoyed themselves, and everyone who didn't watch them is trashing the set. People are just too funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

  26. #116
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    9,841

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    people fear what they don't understand, whether it be other cultures or the knife.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  27. #117
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,031

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shultz View Post

    (Important side-note: I'm a philosophy major who ate certain special mushrooms before the performance... heh heh)
    Oh, well then.

    8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  28. #118
    Lurker Thelittlebirdie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Hmm.. to experience THIS or dance my pants off at Caravan Palace D:

  29. #119

    Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

    Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    people fear what they don't understand, whether it be other cultures or the knife.
    Yeah, man. People just don't get it. Like this dude here, he fucking understands:

    Quote Originally Posted by Shultz View Post
    Well, you see... the fact that most of the show was prerecorded is exactly why the show "forced me to reconsider my assumptions about what a live performance should be like"... you know, because we expect "live" should only mean "performed organically in front of me"... but the Knife seem to be challenging this assumption about what "live" means... which is my point... *heartfelt sigh*
    *heartfelt sigh*
    *half-hearted eye-roll*
    *heartless gigantic fart*
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    This is the best headliner Coachella has had in many years and everyone should discuss Outkast more. The Coachella Stage will explode when they perform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I said the COMBINATION of Blur/Roses, which will be a worldwide exclusive that will be talked about for years to come. (1/30/2013)

Similar Threads

  1. Holy Fuck at the Troubadour tonight (6/10)
    By brando4n82 in forum So Cal
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-12-2010, 05:26 PM
  2. The Knife...one more try
    By fireitup in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 10:32 PM
  3. holy shit MBV Throbbing Gristle El Rey holy shit
    By Dogvolta in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 04-25-2009, 08:54 AM
  4. can i has knife?
    By brittany in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 11:43 AM
  5. THE KNIFE!!!
    By automobilelos in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 10:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •