Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    The truly baffling thing is that people are interested in fucking Caravan Palace. Electro swing? You fucking kidding me?
    That's a really subversive and cogent observation. You must teach me how to do that.

It cannot be learned. It can only be found from within.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

It cannot be learned. It can only be found from within.
    After hours of searching, I think I found it. I will try:

"You're going to go see HAIM? Fagggs."

NAILED IT.

Reading "Electro-Swing" made me have harrowing flashbacks of Lou Bega.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

Between them and Big Gigantic, I think GV is actively trying to prove anything can be shittified if you put an electro-house beat behind it. I'm pretty sure electro-doo wop is the next big thing in jam band electronica circles.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

All the hype has spiked my interest in this "band" - 2nd billing on the poster, Pitchfork's rave reviews of their albums and of course all their mysterious get-ups. But, I just cannot connect with the music. The singers voice is annoying at best and the beats are techno. Because of their set time, I might give it a chance, but I just don't know guys.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

After watching those live performance videos, instead of seeing the Knife, I'll be spending an hour in a luke warm portapotty taking a shit.

Am I doing this right?

The truly baffling thing is that people are interested in fucking Caravan Palace. Electro swing? You fucking kidding me?
    Thank you. As a Knife fan I'm going to give this a chance but if it sucks Hot Since 82 is the only option. I'll pass on electro-swing, dickhead frat-boy rock, and Skrillex-lite.

Coachella vets are fawning over strange fringe music that actually has no aesthetic appeal so they can promote their self obsessed "cool" image? Guys this happens every year. Just nod and give in, tell them you "dont get it", and go see something that doesnt only appeal to people who are way to old to be at this festival in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    Coachella vets are fawning over strange fringe music that actually has no aesthetic appeal so they can promote their self obsessed "cool" image? Guys this happens every year. Just nod and give in, tell them you "dont get it", and go see something that doesnt only appeal to people who are way to old to be at this festival in the first place.
    Oh. The pot calling the kettle black. Cute.

EDIT* And I have no interest in seeing the Knife in their current state.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Playing a warm-up gig at the Fonda on a weekday is very different from playing at Coachella, on the Outdoor Stage, at 10:30 pm.

They're not stupid. It will be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    Playing a warm-up gig at the Fonda on a weekday is very different from playing at Coachella, on the Outdoor Stage, at 10:30 pm.

They're not stupid. It will be awesome.
    Stage 1: Denial
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    No, I know [Muse and The Killers] are headlining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I said the COMBINATION of Blur/Roses, which will be a worldwide exclusive that will be talked about for years to come. (1/30/2013)

open mind. if it sucks I'll be the first to admit it. it's easy to walk away from a set and go see something else.

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    open mind. if it sucks I'll be the first to admit it. it's easy to walk away from a set and go see something else.
    Honest question: Do you think they'll ditch what they've toured the last year and put on a completely different type of show because its Coachella? Or do you think the venue alone will make the jazz hands and aerobics "awesome?"
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    No, I know [Muse and The Killers] are headlining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I said the COMBINATION of Blur/Roses, which will be a worldwide exclusive that will be talked about for years to come. (1/30/2013)

I'm currently hanging out in the crowd and waiting for them to start. I'm aware of the possibility of it being boring, however I'm interested in the visual aspect of all of it, playback tracks or not. Worst case scenario is that the bad choreography is funny, which in and of itself will be worth it in a way.
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman4321 View Post
    I'm currently hanging out in the crowd and waiting for them to start. I'm aware of the possibility of it being boring, however I'm interested in the visual aspect of all of it, playback tracks or not. Worst case scenario is that the bad choreography is funny, which in and of itself will be worth it in a way.
    Stick with the trend and enjoy the show. Most people who actually see it do exactly that.

Yeah, this is really fun.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

This is fucking remarkable
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Honestly I'm impressed you guys are getting enough signal to post to the message boards. How in the fuck is that working?

So dicking good

I actually loved it and am pissed I left early for a spot at the OutKast train wreck. The vids scared me but it was really fun live.

Fucking incredible. Please come back any and every time, Karin.
    Coachella - 4.10.15 - 4.12.15 - Empire Polo Grounds

Sexy and sublime. Probably the best set I'll see all weekend
    Last edited by shermanoaksyo; 04-12-2014 at 09:06 AM.

The Knife served me last night. Thoroughly enjoyed the set. I'm so glad I went to Outkast with that high. Not even Prince could've saved them.
    Saved two girls at DFA. Come at me karma.
    COACHELLACOLLECTIVE

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

The Knife delivers
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    and why was nothing mentioned about those outfits?
    The show was pretty much a mix of dance moves from Waiting for Guffman with the outfits from Logan's Run. Saw the whole thing, it was somewhat interesting but could quite get behind the fact that 80% of the show was prerecorded. As musicians there are pretty damn incredible, why they shelved that for middle school dance moves is beyond me.
    Coachella 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    Oh fucking look.. They killed it last night and put to shame all the bitches just doing it just for money.

You're all welcome.

Signed,
    Mr. Smugpants
    Hahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    The Knife delivers
    Okay, this is all I need, no need for me to watch any videos.

I saw the Knife in Pomona the other day and was completely blown away. I definitely can understand why their performance might be hard to get into for some, though... a lot of the show is indeed prerecorded while the band dances along to it. This can be seen as a shitty substitute for a live performance.

I liked it as much as I did, though, because they forced me to reconsider my assumptions about what a live performance should be like:

-There was no "main character" in the band because everyone had a equal part in helping make the music come alive (e.g., Karin and Olof were just two quick introductions among a list of 20+ other people recognized for their hard work with the show).
    -All of the singing sounded like Karin's voice... even though Karin was just one among many other people who sang. This made me wonder if the person at the mic was actually singing or not. My impulse was to be annoyed because I assumed I was there to watch people sing... but then I realized that this probably was part of how they were challenging the audience's assumptions about live performances.
    -Members of the band weren't organized or presented along gendered lines--males and females dressed similarly and had similar roles (e.g., lyrics to "Pass This On" were changed to "I'm in love with your sisters", perhaps to show the arbitrary nature of gender roles)
    -Each person in the band was really animated and super interesting to watch. They looked more like a tribe than a band.
    -The dancing kinda reminded me of drag in that the people involved were acting out the prerecorded music with movement... but was different because it was a unified group, not a single person doing it like in drag.
    -They tried to make it a communal effort by having the audience feel comfortable participating in dancing via the DEEP Aerobics opener who had us jump up and down, wave our arms, say hello to each other, etc. in order to get us to move as a unit like the Knife does (e.g., the DEEP Aerobics guy had us repeat the phrase, "Self-consciousness is the illusion that I am doing this by myself.")

Anyway, I really loved seeing the Knife and am extremely excited to see them again next weekend. They were unlike anything I've ever seen before for reasons I found really intriguing... but I can totally see how others might be annoyed for these very same reasons. I suppose the best way to approach seeing them is to try to let go of our expectations for what we think we need to see in a live performance.

(Important side-note: I'm a philosophy major who ate certain special mushrooms before the performance... heh heh)

TL;DR The Knife delivers... but not in the way one might expect a band should.

I saw the knife in Pomona and had super high expectations. They were ok. I was excited when they played we share our mother's health but the version they did reminded me of bob's burgers when they go and see the patty cake show because of all the clapping. Will probably skip seeing them again next weekend. That is all.