Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

Default Re: HOLY SH*T! The Knife was amazing tonight!

Also, have you ever seen shows live that were truly amazing and then try to show your friends who weren't there videos of it to give proof of how amazing it was only to be disappointed? Having then to explain to your friends, "the video doesn't do it justice"?

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    I don't understand how someone who hasn't seen the show or thinks it looks stupid from videos they've seen can be so quick to judge people who actually enjoyed the show. I mean what made you need to be the first person to post about the show and rip on it if you weren't there?
    KungFuJoe, meet the internet. Internet, this is KungFuJoe.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Also, have you ever seen shows live that were truly amazing and then try to show your friends who weren't there videos of it to give proof of how amazing it was only to be disappointed? Having then to explain to your friends, "the video doesn't do it justice"?
    Yes, but none of those amazing shows involved the combination of aerobics, eye glitter, and parachute pants.
    Last edited by mrhand; 04-10-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    This is the best headliner Coachella has had in many years and everyone should discuss Outkast more. The Coachella Stage will explode when they perform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I said the COMBINATION of Blur/Roses, which will be a worldwide exclusive that will be talked about for years to come. (1/30/2013)

God forbid anyone do anything out of the norm. As though all these acts with ridiculous light shows aren't equally as choreographed.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

More importantly, who cares that he cares?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I'm a pretty big fan of a The Knife, so much so that I unequivocally believe that Shaking the Habitual is a masterpiece. With that being said, I'm probably going to skip this set for Caravan Palace.

While I appreciate what the The Knife is attempting to do with their live shows, I'm not sure if it's a contextual fit for a festival (the same way I felt about Animal Collectives set a few years back). I would love to catch it at a smaller venue where I'm primed to be ready for a spectacle, but when it comes to Coachella, I need something to engage the part of my brain that regulates my ability to stay awake (cause I'm getting old as all hell)

I realize some of you are angry that others in cyberworld not only have opinions, but they're different than yours, and you're forced to read them. It's okay to express that anger in a safe environment. No one's trying to take that away from you.

As a comparative experiment I'd like to begin a Kickstarter campaign. The goal is to raise enough money to buy a boombox, 2 Knife CDs, and enough leotards, headbands, and glitter to give to a random high school drama club in Palm Springs. We'll give them a week to come up with a show, and we'll put it on the Outdoor Theater at 10:30pm on April 18 for Wknd 2.

Rest assured it'll be "out of the norm." We'll then gauge the reactions from dedicated Knifesters, all along the spectrum from "captivating" to "genuinely incredible" to "life-changing."
    This is the best headliner Coachella has had in many years and everyone should discuss Outkast more. The Coachella Stage will explode when they perform.
    I said the COMBINATION of Blur/Roses, which will be a worldwide exclusive that will be talked about for years to come. (1/30/2013)

I would consider myself a loveer of the conceptual, the creative and the odd.
    These video's concern me not because they are creative and odd but because the dancers seem to have all the fluidity of the "Praise You" video dancers and it makes it hard not to laugh uncontrollably.
    I'd still love to see it, for a moment, to see if it presents better live then in a cut of the entire performance but my hopes are significantly lower then where they were before I saw the video.

^that. My concerns are of how awful the choreography looks, not what they're wearing or that it is a dance show. Is that just part of the schtick? How does that affect their stock, and my investment as a share holder?
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Why not see something that you've never seen before, bad or not? It seems like even if you don't like the set that it'll still be an interesting experience. I'm more convinced to go now than ever before. No need to throw daggers at each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeizbawm View Post
    No need to throw daggers at each other.
    you must be new around here...
    Upcoming Shows:

Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    They are bringing the flaws out. Okay, so for the fans of The Knife, the concept is to play with audience/stage dynamics. They studied, researched and implemented this show. Think about that. They took the time to intentionally use tacky costumes, to actually rehearse and refine how to look amateurish and what they wanted to do on stage at all times. They choreographed everything, most of it to illicit reactions. Yes, it is an 'art piece' or installation, or as many people who hated it called it pure shit. That is their point right now.
    Wait, so if I wanted to watch shitty amateurish dancing, hear pre-recorded music and see a bad light show, why not just go to some crap nightclub anywhere on earth and request that an hour's worth of The Knife be played? Olaf and Karin could have saved themselves a lot of time and jumping jacks.

I mean, don't get me wrong. If the intent is to be unbearably amateurish and awful and make people think it's a steaming pile of shit, then this production is top-notch. I'm trying to figure out how they could make it worse, but it's really goddamn hard. Maybe bring Ian Brown out to shake his cane and do some vocals?

For me, as a fan who has been waiting to see them for many, many years, now that I finally have the opportunity to do so and it's going to be them trying to make a point instead of focusing on performing well is really disappointing. Is that selfish of me? I don't really think so. They hardly ever come stateside and this looks like a fucking bummer. I understand it but it's disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Lol you are the worst
    Yes, the worst thing imaginable is me saying Boo to no heartbeats
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Quote Originally Posted by PDXdev View Post
    For me, as a fan who has been waiting to see them for many, many years, now that I finally have the opportunity to do so and it's going to be them trying to make a point instead of focusing on performing well is really disappointing. Is that selfish of me? I don't really think so. They hardly ever come stateside and this looks like a fucking bummer. I understand it but it's disappointing.
    They are trying to make a point indeed. a really shitty point. not selfish at all. just unfortunate you will not be able to see a band you really like deliver the music in a way that is pleasing.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

and a 'share holder' is exactly what is happening right now with all of you. you listen to a song online, perhaps on youtube, perhaps even pitchfork or someone variation posted about something and it is new to you. you listen to it and you like it, maybe even fanatically. most american consumers do not know how we vary from other consumers in our world, especially in music.

so you like that song, become attached to that band and learn everything you know about that band. said band releases another song, and video with it. you become more attached. they come to town, and you pay TONS of money to see them. the american market is capitalist driven and scalpers are encouraged. If they are a hot shit band all of sudden. you can bet prices are going to go up. so then you spend all that money, time and vested interest in this band. you go to the show and you DEMAND to hear those songs. you have to have them. because, of course, you listened to them on youtube, and they are part of your life now, your story line, and it is about you of course.

so this band, is now forced to deal with the fact that they either have to satisfy these fans, fans with money. or be shunned and lose this new audience.

yes, you'll say, that's how the music market works. blah blah blah. so here is just one tiny band asking questions, exploring their own identity and have made this new tour. --just look at the reaction so far. it's so hateful, so cynical, so mean spirited. because some Swedish band decided to DANCE instead of play behind a laptop and keyboard.

everyone is shitting on them. and fuck anyone who says their hip. about 100 people have told me how shitty i am, how shitty The Knife. I don't see anyone boasting about them on Facebook or even indie rags have been mostly quiet about them this year. no one is wearing their fucking tshirts and saying how fucking cool they are to know or like this band. actually people are abandoning ship because of the backlash.

really, all because a band didn't want to do what people who have money were telling them to do. to stick to formula, to play the hits or be vilified for the consequences of not going that route.

it says so much about the state of music, the state of fans, and how much money and the internet has corrupted the process of making and releasing music.

I dont agree with this formula at all. It has nothing to do with consumerism or capitalism. It has to do with a band touring for the first time in a while, and choosing to tour in a total left field avant-garde way that does not translate with most people. Youtube videos surfacing are good. lets people know what they are in for. IF you like it and are for it, awesome. good for you. I am not gonna shit on a band for trying something different, but i also dont need to see more than 20 youtube videos to know I want nothing to do with these live performances

Having said all of that though, I am really excited to see them this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Wait, so if I wanted to watch shitty amateurish dancing, hear pre-recorded music and see a bad light show, why not just go to some crap nightclub anywhere on earth and request that an hour's worth of The Knife be played? Olaf and Karin could have saved themselves a lot of time and jumping jacks.

I mean, don't get me wrong. If the intent is to be unbearably amateurish and awful and make people think it's a steaming pile of shit, then this production is top-notch. I'm trying to figure out how they could make it worse, but it's really goddamn hard. Maybe bring Ian Brown out to shake his cane and do some vocals?
    are you a fan of the knife on record? genuinely curious. you haven't, as of yet, disparaged the music itself.

and a 'share holder' is exactly what is happening right now with all of you. you listen to a song online, perhaps on youtube, perhaps even pitchfork or someone variation posted about something and it is new to you. you listen to it and you like it, maybe even fanatically. most american consumers do not know how we vary from other consumers in our world, especially in music.

so you like that song, become attached to that band and learn everything you know about that band. said band releases another song, and video with it. you become more attached. they come to town, and you pay TONS of money to see them. the american market is capitalist driven and scalpers are encouraged. If they are a hot shit band all of sudden. you can bet prices are going to go up. so then you spend all that money, time and vested interest in this band. you go to the show and you DEMAND to hear those songs. you have to have them. because, of course, you listened to them on youtube, and they are part of your life now, your story line, and it is about you of course.

so this band, is now forced to deal with the fact that they either have to satisfy these fans, fans with money. or be shunned and lose this new audience.

yes, you'll say, that's how the music market works. blah blah blah. so here is just one tiny band asking questions, exploring their own identity and have made this new tour. --just look at the reaction so far. it's so hateful, so cynical, so mean spirited. because some Swedish band decided to DANCE instead of play behind a laptop and keyboard.

everyone is shitting on them. and fuck anyone who says their hip. about 100 people have told me how shitty i am, how shitty The Knife. I don't see anyone boasting about them on Facebook or even indie rags have been mostly quiet about them this year. no one is wearing their fucking tshirts and saying how fucking cool they are to know or like this band. actually people are abandoning ship because of the backlash.

really, all because a band didn't want to do what people who have money were telling them to do. to stick to formula, to play the hits or be vilified for the consequences of not going that route.

it says so much about the state of music, the state of fans, and how much money and the internet has corrupted the process of making and releasing music.
    As with much of conceptual art, I think you are off your fucking rocker.
    Trying to make some statement about the consumption of music in modern society looks just as stupid when they do it vs when other have done it.
    Instead of providing me value for investment of time and money you decided to take that time and money and make a self indulgent statement about the transfer of value (all the while getting paid handsomely for it)
    If you want to make a statement about the evils of money, go all KLF and light you fee on fire in front of the crowd and show us all how little money means to you.

Quote Originally Posted by craigoneil View Post
    As with much of conceptual art, I think you are off your fucking rocker.
    Trying to make some statement about the consumption of music in modern society looks just as stupid when they do it vs when other have done it.
    Instead of providing me value for investment of time and money you decided to take that time and money and make a self indulgent statement about the transfer of value (all the while getting paid handsomely for it)
    If you want to make a statement about the evils of money, go all KLF and light you fee on fire in front of the crowd and show us all how little money means to you.
    BOOM!

After seeing videos of their European tour, I was skeptical going into the show last night. But more than most live acts, videos really don't do this justice. You can't capture the crowd interaction or the energy of the venue on video, and that was a big part of my enjoyment of the show. I was very entertained and in the end that's why I go to shows.
    Last edited by darkmoon66; 04-10-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

your cynicism is equal to hand's. so is your self-righteousness.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I know this is a crazy concept for you all.. But people can still use, spend and consume money any way they want. They aren't interested in KLF esthetics. They aren't anarchists at heart. They are artists. At what point, with their venetian masks, melting skin masks, gender modification, voice manipulation, anti-capitiist statements of the past decade did you think they were 'just some goth band'.

Again, there you are, being a fan of their music and making value judgements on what they are doing to their own property. their music. you getting all upset about 'because this is their first tour, and I like their music' has nothing to do with them. they don't know you. bands are forced up onto of their fans with facebook and mtv awards and strict rules on formula.

if you are disappointed with them, move on, they are not being flippant about it.. actually, they are enjoying themselves, they are laughing and having fun. they've been in california for a couple weeks now just having fun. why is it so important to you how they act on a stage?

they were invited by coachella, with Paul having seen their live act. they know what they are doing.

they aren't about burning money. they are about their own expression of their music at this point in their lives. which has come out as an exploration of dance and stage expectations. it's not really that mind blowing.

and yet, most of you are fans of Empire of the Sun. someone who has similar stage esthetics, with a more grandiose agenda. Could you imagine the reaction if Empire of the Sun came out in tshirts and mom jeans and played a grunge set?

how dare they! they're not supposed to act like that!!
    I never said I wanted them to do anything particular. You said they were making a statement.
    Their own quotes could be overlayed with any quote of any conceptual artist of the last 40 years desperately trying to apply meaning to something that is bad on purpose.

You want to impress me, do your fucking best, take all that raw ass talent and connect with me. Use this unique moment given to you to break down jungian archetypes or explode in a fire ball or cut it all down, pull away all the lights and mind fuck me in a dark room. However, purposely attempting to make something that looks like shit and a purposeful critique on the expectation thrust upon artists and the formulaic controls put on music is something that you do for free. Its something you do that is delivered in a context that doesnt cost people $350 - $700 and a trip out to the desert to see. I get it, they turned down their own aware to protest the male driven music world and now they are donning costumes and breaking down what it means to perform by performing something that pushes the boundaries of sense because artists are used like trained monkey to entertain the oligarchy. So, like I said, if you are against the structure presented to you, taking the spoils of that in the form of money is a bit of a hypocrisy on your art. Play outside Coachella where everyone can see you for free. Allow people to donate what they think your statement is worth. OR you know, make a statement about the evils of constructs and then profit off of it... cause that makes sense.

by they way, i really dont give a shit and am just fighting with you to pass the time because the flu sucks and i feel a little better when thinking about how to argue your point.

I know this is a crazy concept for you all.. But people can still use, spend and consume money any way they want. They aren't interested in KLF esthetics. They aren't anarchists at heart. They are artists. At what point, with their venetian masks, melting skin masks, gender modification, voice manipulation, anti-capitiist statements of the past decade did you think they were 'just some goth band'.

Again, there you are, being a fan of their music and making value judgements on what they are doing to their own property. their music. you getting all upset about 'because this is their first tour, and I like their music' has nothing to do with them. they don't know you. bands are forced up onto of their fans with facebook and mtv awards and strict rules on formula.

if you are disappointed with them, move on, they are not being flippant about it.. actually, they are enjoying themselves, they are laughing and having fun. they've been in california for a couple weeks now just having fun. why is it so important to you how they act on a stage?

they were invited by coachella, with Paul having seen their live act. they know what they are doing.

they aren't about burning money. they are about their own expression of their music at this point in their lives. which has come out as an exploration of dance and stage expectations. it's not really that mind blowing.

and yet, most of you are fans of Empire of the Sun. someone who has similar stage esthetics, with a more grandiose agenda. Could you imagine the reaction if Empire of the Sun came out in tshirts and mom jeans and played a grunge set?

how dare they! they're not supposed to act like that!!
    they have every right to act however they want. you're misinterpreting people expressing displeasure with how they act as them expressing the view that the knife shouldn't act that way.

when an artist gets paid to do a show they can do literally whatever they want on stage. some artists i would watch no matter what. some i wouldn't. i'll be watching the knife, not because i do or don't give a shit about how they act on stage, but because i enjoy the sounds they record to whatever they record sounds to. you are so far up your own ass you're making mrhand look like a sane individual.

think about that for a second.
    Last edited by heart cooks brain; 04-10-2014 at 12:40 PM.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Seems to me like the people who actually saw the show enjoyed it and the shit talking is coming from people who weren't there...

Show was great last night. Probably won't watch the full show again tomorrow, but will see some

The truly baffling thing is that people are interested in fucking Caravan Palace. Electro swing? You fucking kidding me?

"When I hear old jazz records, I think, maybe I could get into this if only there were a drop and some generic EDM synths. If only someone would figure out a way to make this music palatable to my modern teen bop sensibilities."

you guys are all overthinking this. its an entertaining show for fans. some people will be turned off and not show. not sure why some here are trying to convince them otherwise as they will be the ones that would only distract. let them go and the show will be much more enjoyable with those who choose to see it with an open mind despite what people say (most who have not seen it themselves) and the amateur videos might suggest. putting them off the mainstage was the right thing to do IMO.

Pass This On is REALLY awesome live. Full of Fire will be a monster sound coming out of the outdoor. and Silent Shout, well I think even the cynical ones in the audience will want to dance. because in the end, that's what they are offering you. unfiltered, human, flawed movement.
    i don't doubt any of these things to be true. when i saw pass this on was on the setlist, along with bird, i was very excited. i agree that full of fire will sound wonderful. you just give way too much of a shit what other people think about your favorite band.