Thread: Differences in Weekend 1 & 2

Default Differences in Weekend 1 & 2

I know they say, same music and same art, but is there really not any difference? Like Crowd, guest appearances, # of celebs(not that it matters to me, just an example) cleanliness, quality of music? If previous fest goers could answer that would be great. I'm a first time Coachella goer and wanted weekend 1 but I got weekend 2 when it sold out.

Default Re: Differences in Weekend 1 & 2

I would also like to know this kind of stuff

The polo fields are more stepped on and the weather is usually different. That's about it

there is usually less people second weekend and not all the guest appearances are the same

Some bands will have slightly different set lists, fields are more worn down, different forecast, maybe a few different set times. Weekend two has the advantage of knowing what bands played a good show, which bands let down, and how early to get to a show based on how big crowds were. Weekend one gets a fresher field and the ability to say they saw everything first.

Any Weekend 2 folks head in blind and try to ignore what goes on Weekend 1? You may obviously hear about it at the festival but I'm considering just shutting myself off to all things Coachella besides listening to the music once Weekend 1 starts.

I never paid attention to what happened weekend one, mainly because I dont want to be depressed if i missed out on anything amazing...
    but, I've yet to be let down thus far.

I don't mind hearing what went down the first weekend. Its pretty rare you miss out on anything major and it gives you a heads up to some bands or sets you may not have gone to that ended up being really solid.

Quote Originally Posted by cherr1020 View Post
    Any Weekend 2 folks head in blind and try to ignore what goes on Weekend 1? You may obviously hear about it at the festival but I'm considering just shutting myself off to all things Coachella besides listening to the music once Weekend 1 starts.

Still debating.
    You mad b?

Lurker

debating as well, I kinda want to watch the webcast, but may want to go in blind. or, I'll watch the webcast of only stuff that conflicts with what I want to see next week.

I might watch the webcast of the bands I know that I won't be able to see (prioritizing in conflicts and shit), but that's probably it...? I do like the idea of going blind..

Something I noticed last year, that was in reality pretty minor, was the snail. It started off grey Weekend 1, but it was gradually painted (artistic tagging), so Weekend 2 would have gotten whatever was done during Weekend 1. Do not see how it could apply to this year, but it was a difference.

If you have major conflicts, you can use the week 1 set list to determine who to watch and when week 2. 90% of the bands will play the same exact set list both weekends.

I'll probubly just watch bits of the shows I am debating seeing, so I can see if it's worth it. I'm definitly gunna watch FTP's live stream cause I am going to see lorde during that. Makes the weekend more relaxed.

Only thing I check out is who people tended to be surprised by (good and bad) to resolve conflicts. I avoid setlists and try to avoid guest appearances (that's harder).

Less celebs and less crowded weekend two (both good things) and the past two years weekend two has had much, much better weather.

Don't watch the webcast!! it spoils it

blind as hell

Quote Originally Posted by dlassaly View Post
    Don't watch the webcast!! it spoils it
    Ignore this person. Watch all the webcasts. It doesn't matter if you see it online first, it's always 10 times better in person and watching online lets you see who's good and who's garbage.

The special guests aren't always the same (last year weekend one, phoenix had R. Kelly, weekend 2 did not) and depending on the skill level of the band playing the music could be different (radiohead had multiple setlists when I went, and I preferred the second weekend... unsurprisingly Baauer had exactly the same set both weekends) but for the most part the two weekends are the same.

If weekend 2 doesn't get the pixies though, i will literally cry in front of strangers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinaturntable5 View Post
    A girl with 5 dicks, duh

Also another big difference... hopefully weekend two the sound guys will get their shit together for outkast and they wont cut them off before they can bring out their last guest. Still epic, but will be more epic next weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinaturntable5 View Post
    A girl with 5 dicks, duh

Well, now you see the advantage of waiting and letting them work out the kinks