Thread: Artist Signings?

Cool Artist Signings?

Hi, I know last year Zia Records hosted Artist & Band signings at their tent. Will there be the same sort of thing this year? Thanks

Default Re: Artist Signings?

No way to tell until Friday. It looks like the record store is being run by GV.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Whatever happened with this? Have there been any signings? If so, did anyone get a photo of the schedule?

(Although it may differ for W2, it would be nice to know if there've been any signings)

I was about to post asking the same thing...

The new store barely sold anything actually by the artists on the lineup, as well. So weird.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Ok so were there signings or no this year?

There are NO signings this year. None. Nada. The record store people could give a rats ass. I was going to look at the records but they wanted me check my small camera case, because I might steal something. So I walked out, never to return. They need a real store again next year.
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    There are NO signings this year. None. Nada. The record store people could give a rats ass. I was going to look at the records but they wanted me check my small camera case, because I might steal something. So I walked out, never to return. They need a real store again next year.
    Wow thats a shame. I thought for sure when they cut ties with Zia that they would bring in something local, not a generic record tent where potential customers are viewed as shoplifters. I might check out what RSD specials they have, but not if they treat me like that. That's bs.

It's run by Goldenvoice employees apparently. It's not connected with a real store, so I am not sure they will even have Record Store Day specials. I guess we'll see next weekend.

That doesn't sound very appealing. I thought i had read somewhere on the site that there would be RSD stuff, but I guess we'll have to wait and see whether or not they conpletely dropped ball with this lame record tent.

Yeah, it's on the site somewhere that there will be RSD stuff. Don't have my hopes up after reading this though.

…because you look like such a thief, right?
    Wow, this is disappointing news…. I've enjoyed the record store and signings in year's prior.
    Kinda sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Gay is the answer to everything.

Sheesh, while I liked having Zia there, I didn't think filling their void would be an issue in the slightest, even if it was completely run by Goldenvoice instead of another record store. Not sure if there's anyone I really was eager for a signing for, but still really lazy and disappointing.

I had the exact same experience. My bag was far too small to swipe anything, short of a cassingle. I left as well. I'm too old for that shit.

I never had anything but the best of experiences with the zia staff and their service. It's a shame they weren't involved this year.

Quote Originally Posted by n3glect View Post
    I had the exact same experience. My bag was far too small to swipe anything, short of a cassingle. I left as well. I'm too old for that shit.

I never had anything but the best of experiences with the zia staff and their service. It's a shame they weren't involved this year.
    Last year we were told Metric wasn't going to be signing until Saturday, so we left.
    Well, they ended up rushing over & started signing like 15 mins after we left.
    The girl working for Zia remembered us, and not only did she get my record signed, but she also got them to sign a poster for us since we didn't get to meet with the band. It was pretty thoughtful and badass of her, I am forever grateful.
    And now sad that they won't be there this year :/
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Gay is the answer to everything.

I can confirm , new record store sucks .
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    I can confirm , new record store sucks .
    Yeah, it was total shite. I walked in just to confirm that it wasn't Zia and the first thing out of anyone's mouth was to check my bag. I'm sure these guys said, "hey, how hard can running a record store be? Let's let a couple of interns make it their project." And that's exactly how it looked and was run.

Zia was always professional, had that year's artists prominently displayed and Matt, the check-in guy, always remembered by son and I from year to year. Seeing him and exchanging hellos just after walking in was one of our traditions.

I totally miss the signings too. It was a great way to connect with these up-and-comers for whom that day was probably one of the best of their lives. What a shame.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

doble. sorry

not only did they not have artist signings but they charge $5 to hold your purchase FOR THE DAY.
    zia would only charge if you made it stay over night. the selection is so small and whack too.

ugh mad because the Tiga vinyl I hid went missing.
    2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014

Well, this is all disappointing news... I was looking forward to doing Record Store Day there on Saturday...

Quote Originally Posted by zachattacks11 View Post
    ... they cut ties with Zia that they would bring in something local...
    Ok, so that's why the selection was only LPs, Cds, 7 inch singles & tapes. I noticed that they didn't have any additional cool merch, so I left. I agree that it was disappointing.
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1

Its incredibly disappointing. I hope next year that GV realizes there's more to running a record tent than coldly selling LP's and 7 inches. It was cool having Zia run the tent because I would often see the people who work at the Zia by my house , and plus they ran everything smoothly while still being friendly. I definitely won't be going in that tent this weekend.

I actually had a nice email exchange with the Zia people. They essentially said it was their deal as they were concentrating on getting a store off the ground and couldn't spare the manpower. Hopefully, this was just a temporary one year hiatus.

I was super bummed! no signings, no awesome selection. it was a sorry excuse of a record store.