Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TELL US ABOUT WEEKEND 1 - 2014!

Default Re: TELL US ABOUT WEEKEND 1 - 2014!

^ yeah. Any more details on the Craft Beer Garden??
    Are they tastings, or full servings?

Yeah, I know they're the same PRICE as Heineken, but are they the same SIZE?
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Gay is the answer to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ELIZA83TH View Post
    Yeah, I know they're the same PRICE as Heineken, but are they the same SIZE?
    It depends on the actual beer. Some are 16 oz, some are 12 oz, some are 8 oz. The higher alcohol percentage/"rare" beers are usually the 8 oz.

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

I believe all beers are $10.

The caveat is that the size of the pour depended on the specific beer.

So your rare/expensive/high ABV beers were $10 for an 8 oz pour and your common/inexpensive/low ABV beers were up to 16 ozs for $10.

They don't actually have any prices posted anywhere that I could see but we ordered 5 or 6 beers and they were all $10 so this is what I am assuming.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    It depends on the actual beer. Some are 16 oz, some are 12 oz, some are 8 oz. The higher alcohol percentage/"rare" beers are usually the 8 oz.
    Thaaaaaank you
    Was it as epic as everyone is making it sound?
    I know you were excited to check it out beforehand.
    Did it meet your expectations?

Yeah, forget it. :/ I'm such a lightweight now.
    But thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by ELIZA83TH View Post
    Thaaaaaank you
    Was it as epic as everyone is making it sound?
    I know you were excited to check it out beforehand.
    Did it meet your expectations?
    I was incredibly happy that all of the beers were $10, because I was honestly expecting a higher price range. If you've been drinking local California craft beer regularly, there wasn't anything ever on the list that was jaw dropping and if there were ever exclusively rare releases on a particular hour, I never saw them. Zack and I actually didn't see a ton of keg changes the first two days, but I think that's because it wasn't actually very crowded. A lot of people in my camp group hadn't even heard about this beer barn and thought it was a food only section. They put up a CRAFT BEER sign on the second day and added more tables under the shade, and by the third day it seemed considerably more crowded but was absolutely still more mellow than the other beer gardens at Coachella.

I was really happy that they had a few beers from Faction (the 2 hop collaboration is excellent). And the food in there from Beer Belly and Mohawk bend is delicious, especially the sweet potato fries.

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

Thanks for the info
    Sounds really rad; I can't wait to check it out.
    Assuming it is as awesome as you guys say, I hope GV considers it again for next year.

This event was absolutely oversold. Weekend 2 prepare yourself because 2010 rules are in full effect. When you seen see the size of these crowds you'll know, and remember, weekend 1 had the advantage of being sanded which definitely removed some people from the grounds for long stretches of time. Friday is the representational day if you're looking at a video for judgement purposes.

The sad thing is the venue is improved again, and the improvements are all thoughtful and worthwhile. Special thanks to the bigger gobi tent, the even better Yuma (which is by far the best tent on the grounds now), the craft beer garden (wow, truly an oasis in a heineken desert), and the new landscaping in the terrace area.

It's too bad none of that matters because the avenues between the stages, the bathrooms between them, and most importantly the stages themselves are packed beyond belief. If you feel uncomfortable in a crowd at all then stay home. This year is not for you.

And don't you ever think of approaching the sahara tent after six. The worst decision you'll ever make.

Approaching the Sahara tent at all is the worst decision you'll ever make.

Personally I think the problem is that they are booking too much big name EDM cheese. Those shows are a fucking madhouse and result in the grounds in general feeling overcrowded. Most of the bands I saw I didn't feel crowded at all while I was at the stage, but moving between stages was a nightmare, especially when someone like Calvin Harris just finished his show and 30K bros are trying to make their way back to the Sahara. Basically every single time I remember feeling crowded this weekend was a result of a big EDM show just finishing, the rest of the time it mostly felt fine.

It was only overcrowded at all the electronic music related acts except for the Yuma and Do-Lab. You'll be fine if you head there or if you want rock & roll.

I love the clusterfuck in the Sahara. Alesso will have the most props and effects. Watch out for that.

If you'll watch a performer on the Outdoor Stage (we have a lot on our list that is at the Outdoor) stay on your right side specially if someone is performing at the Coachella stage. The artist will drown. I feel bad for Lorde, Lana del Ray and a portion of Disclosure.

Disclosure is much better at an intimate settting. They could have stayed at Mojave.

You can eat at the Heineken tent by the Ferris Wheel and still hear the artists performing from the Main stage. It is definitely multitasking without the crowd.

Beck sings well. Ellie Goulding, not so much.

Oh, the balloon people could use a little finesse about their attitude as well. Stop hiring people who are in their periods.

Quote Originally Posted by KingRL View Post
    A$AP Ferg's set was garbage!!! Everyone make sure to bring bandanas!!!
    That is because A$ap Ferg is garbage.

I had a fantastic weekend with little to no complaints. I didn't see the crowds being that big of a deal as this was my 4th coachella and I knew how to navigate around the crowds.

Friday I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. It's not because I liked all the bands I was trying to see, but more there wasn't many must sees for me and I or my friends were disappointed in a lot of the artists we saw. That said, Bonobo was fucking incredible. Jagwar Ma was right up my alley, Duke Dumont was bringing heat to the most packed set in the yuma and grouplove put on a fun show on the MainStage.

Saturday was my best day in coachella history. Cage was great on the main. Holy Ghost was the biggest surprise as they put on a really fun show. Fatboy Slim brought the heat in the sahara and queens/muse was a killer way to end the night. We were all feeling it so we did the silent disco that night until 5 am. If you have never done the silent disco I highly recommend it. You get a real opportunity to meet some pretty cool people who are all on the same level.

Sunday We got in really late. Blood Orange was the first set of the weekend and what a treat it was. Arcade Fire probably put on the coolest show I've ever seen. Their vibe was zoo much different as the reflektors too and I was totally consumed by it. It seemed like they combined david bowie with beach sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnifexlol View Post
    Darkside was a peformance I will never ever ever forget, and Little Dragon was a blast. Bonobo also was pretty impressive.

OH, and the Yuma was amazing. Got to groove sooo hard with so much empty dance floor to Art Department and Bicep.
    Fully agree with all of the above. Some of my fave sets.