Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TELL US ABOUT WEEKEND 1 - 2014!

Default Re: TELL US ABOUT WEEKEND 1 - 2014!

Pet shop boys / fest
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

Saturday

Foxygen: Got in a little late so I only caught the last 2/3 of the set. Pretty good but not amazing I'd say. Bonus points to the front man for having the balls to not even try and hide the fact that he's blatantly aping Iggy Pop.

Temple: I enjoyed this set. Real laid back type of thing. Good set to listen to while laying on the grass relaxing.

CHVRCHES: One of the sets I was most looking forward to this weekend, and they didn't disappoint. I got exactly what I wanted from it, but after seeing them play I really believe that this band would benefit from having a live drummer when they tour.

Julian Casablancas: Never been a. big fan and this set reminded me why. I found it pretty boring really.

Warpaint. They seemed a little... I dunno... sloppy? I like their music but I don't think this was their best set.

Pixies: 1 or 2 more new songs than they really should have gone with, but overall I can't complain, I loved it. Set of the day I think.

Queens of the Stone Age: My spot sucked and. with the wind they didn't sound that good from. where I was. I suspect this was weather and not a deficiency on their part though.

Muse: I was in a much better spot for this one and. they killed it. The wind stole Matt's voice a few times but overall it was a fantastic set. I <3 Dom.

Pharrell brought out allll the surprises, but then didn't sing get lucky or happy cuz the dust hurt his voice. Boo fucking hoo. Ruined an otherwise amazing one-off set. Nas was great as well, had a few surprises and it was special to hear illmatic live

Warpaint played the set of the festival so far.

Darkside as well. Incredible vibes in both tents. Nas absolutely wrecked outdoor and showed up Outkast. Brought out jay z and pdiddy and sounded fucking awesome.

Glad to hear Nas killed it. Trying to convince my fiancé to catch that set next weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Gay is the answer to everything.

QOTSA and War Paint killed it yesterday.

Yo where all my Freshers at on Sunday. Seemed like they were all over on Friday and now today all I see is a sea of Minute Maid shit all over the place. Do not want, Freshers plz.

Did anyone else besides Wolfbeckett happen to catch part or all of Julian Casablancas set? I'm trying to decide whether I should watch his set next weekend or see Holy Ghost instead. I was excited to see him added to the lineup, but not if its going to be boring/a train wreck.

"It's all smooth sailing from here on out..."

Last edited by JustSteve; 04-13-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Is it just me or does it seem like EDM fans are bigger slobs than any other group at this festival? There is no part of the fest that is clean but every time I go to a stage just after an EDM show finishes it looks like a fucking tornado ripped through the tent. Jesus Fucking Christ people there are trash cans literally everywhere.

Waaaaay too many people. might be hanging up the hat.

I'm kind of glad to be going the second weekend this year; it did look crowded as all hell.
    Now, thats not to say it won't be crowded this weekend, but perhaps a little less?

this year was like clusterfuck coachella 2010 all over again. THERE WERE WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE. they oversold it. tons of pushing and shoving to get away from the outdoor stages after sets were over. definitely not a safe situation at times.

maybe they need to expand to 3 weekends. over somehow reorganize this so there is more space between the tents. simply just too crowded.
    2005-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2014

Or just charge more. I would pay to have fewer people there, it really ups the value of the experience.

In the daytime it was fine , but at night it seemed like the crowd easily doubled . I recommend bands in the smaller tents . Outdoor /Sahara / main all got pretty crazy. The outdoor needs more space somehow .
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

Seconds after Neutral Milk Hotel, the Lana Del Ray fans crushed us as they pushed their way to the front.

A$AP Ferg's set was garbage!!! Everyone make sure to bring bandanas!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Try reaching out to your cousin yet?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coachella 2012 - Weekend 2
    Coachella 2013 - Weekend 2
    Coachella 2014 - Weekend 1

still a little foggy in the head after a weekend of very little sleep (thanks neighbors ) but here are a few overall thoughts

the new gobi is lovely as hell. a bit stuffy at times during the day since the sides are mostly closed but not uncomfortably so, it's a fair trade. great atmosphere. i really hope this isn't a one time thing. also the gobi is now the same size at the mojave, which i'm pretty sure is the same size of the old sahara from a few years back. my little gobi done grown up.

i finally checked out the yuma on my last trip around the field last night and HOLY SHIT! they really outdid themselves. the place is huge and so is the sound. i also really like the L shaped configuration of the building and the placement of the DJ booth. makes for a very interesting space.

the do lab had me feeling like i was at disneyland's electronica (maybe it was the glowing pillars, idk). i almost felt bad seeing it buried back in the corner, but really it's where the do lab belongs. the people who go to the do lab are going to find it wherever you put it so i don't think that matters. it was soooooooo nice to see some quieter sets in the gobi and not have the more quiet parts interrupted by the lab. thank you for doing this GV

i didn't spend much time in the sahara but really like the lighting configuration this year. it feels much more all encompassing whereas last year it felt like it was all at the front.

main, outdoor and the mojave were pretty much unchanged from what i could tell. no complaints here.

the art was on par with last year's which made me very happy since i feel they really raised the bar in 2013. the mirrored lights where the do lab used to be made for a perfect meeting spot. also nice to see some art that provides shade. the caterpillar always had a ton of people inside during the day.

security did a great job for the most part. the searches were thorough but not overly invasive and almost all of the security i dealt with were very polite. also nice to see ID numbers on the trash collection people after having dealt with a few shady characters last year.

a few complaints:

the locker situation on friday was kind of fucked. i've never had to wait more than 5 minutes to get my locker no matter what time of day. this year i was in line for about a half an hour just to find out i was in the wrong line anyway. they had signs but they were small and not very clear and the lines were very unorganized (if you're going to have signs they should be poster board sized, 8.5x11 isn't gonna do). i think much of the reason behind this is because they have way more combination lockers than key lockers now and it seems like the combo lockers just take more time to setup and cause more headaches in general. the poor locker people seemed like they were swamped with non-stop issues the entire weekend but they did their best with what they had to work with.

the 24 hour showers were not open thursday night which i thought was lame. some people have driven really far to get here and would prefer to wash off their car funk before going to bed rather than sleep in it and deal with the crazy lines in the morning. also i tried to hit the showers sunday afternoon before going in (around 4-ish) and things were super unorganized. i now realize that the line for the 24 hr showers was right where the car campers drive in, bad planning. bump the ticket price up by a few dollars and have one not so limited 24 hour shower station please.

camping port-o-potties: i don't normally camp so i don't know if it's like this every year but it felt like by late saturday/early sunday the people that empty the port-o-potties in the camp grounds had just given up and went home. by sunday it seemed like only a handful were useable. i don't think they were emptied at all on sunday. maybe this is normal, i don't know.

oh yea saw some awesome bands too! more on that later.
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by frizbee9 View Post
    this year was like clusterfuck coachella 2010 all over again. THERE WERE WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE. they oversold it. tons of pushing and shoving to get away from the outdoor stages after sets were over. definitely not a safe situation at times.
    hate to say it but i think you're right to a point. this is the first time since 2010 i was actually kind of scared to be in a crowd at times. at one point i was way behind the sahara trying to make my way to anywhere but the sahara. it was so packed it was like trying to move in front of the main stage before a headliner played, no joke. if they decided to sell more tickets based on the fact that they expanded the terrace and that they have XX more square acreage then they didn't really do the math right, because other than the food court, the terrace is not a high traffic area or a way to get from A to B.

it still wasn't nearly as bad as 2010, you could find open space between stages if you needed it, but this year did feel a bit more packed than the last few years at times.

Quote Originally Posted by zachattacks11 View Post
    Did anyone else besides Wolfbeckett happen to catch part or all of Julian Casablancas set? I'm trying to decide whether I should watch his set next weekend or see Holy Ghost instead. I was excited to see him added to the lineup, but not if its going to be boring/a train wreck.
    i watched all of holy ghost and caught the last few songs from julian's set. no regrets. he does what he does well but he really only does that garage-ish rock with overdriven vocals thing. if you're really into that then you know where to be. this was my second time seeing holy ghost and i'll likely check em out next weekend too. they just put on a really fun, solid, good vibes dancey set.

on that note, if you like holy ghost at all you're probably not going to want to leave until their set is over.
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by ELIZA83TH View Post
    I'm kind of glad to be going the second weekend this year; it did look crowded as all hell.
    Now, thats not to say it won't be crowded this weekend, but perhaps a little less?
    Maybe not less but I think the weekend 2 crowd tends to be more civil. A lot of people clamor for weekend 1 because its 'cool' and its the party weekend; therefore you get flocks of bros. Weekend 2 festival goers probably lean more toward the type that love music and festivals and want to have a good experience.

Obviously there are plenty of both types of people at each weekend, but overall weekend 2 tends to be a bit more calm.

Quote Originally Posted by knotted_donuts View Post
    Or just charge more. I would pay to have fewer people there, it really ups the value of the experience.
    You couldn't be more wrong. The very people you are trying to weed out are the people who are there to spend their parents money. They probably paid $600 for their ticket anyway.

I didn't think the crowds were THAT bad. The outdoor always is hell at night. Sunday felt like a lot of people had left earlier because of the sand storm or something

I also didn't think the size of the crowds were that bad either, but I wasn't anywhere near Calvin Harris or the Sahara so what do I know. What I hate is when the Sahara bros and chicks flock to the outdoor stages and push their way through for stuff like Disclosure and Lorde and then talk the whole time.

And to the person who asked about Julian Casablancas...I thought it was the worst set I saw all weekend. Just crap noise

8/22 Aerosmith + Slash, 8/24 Nickel Creek, 8/28 Bear in Heaven, 8/31 Little Dragon, 9/11 Delta Spirit, 9/18 Owen Pallett, 9/20 Conor Oberst, 9/25 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 9/27 How to Dress Well, 9/28 The War on Drugs, 10/3 & 10/5 ACL W1, 10/10 CHVRCHES, 10/11 Spoon, 10/12 ACL W2, 10/13 Paul McCartney, 10/16 Rodrigo y Gabriela, 10/18 twenty one pilots, 10/19 Erasure, 11/7 Rufus Wainwright, 11/7-11/9 FFF Fest, 11/23 Caribou, 12/14 Fleetwood Mac, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    i watched all of holy ghost and caught the last few songs from julian's set. no regrets. he does what he does well but he really only does that garage-ish rock with overdriven vocals thing. if you're really into that then you know where to be. this was my second time seeing holy ghost and i'll likely check em out next weekend too. they just put on a really fun, solid, good vibes dancey set.

on that note, if you like holy ghost at all you're probably not going to want to leave until their set is over.
    Thanks for the insight. I'll probably just do what you did and catch Holy Ghost before watching the end of Julian's set.

Quote Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
    And to the person who asked about Julian Casablancas...I thought it was the worst set I saw all weekend. Just crap noise
    Thanks for the input. I guess he put together a pretty sloppy set, at least that's I gathered from a few reviews. I was just hoping someone here on the board had a different take on it? Spin made it sound like the wild shitstorm that was his set was the place to be. I'll probably still catch the end of it so I can get a decent spot for Warpaint, but I won't be watching the whole thing as I originally intended.

Friday and Sunday seemed normal to me but Saturday was definitely WAY too crowded. At 9:40 PM just before Empire of the Sun, the area around Mojave, Sahara, and Rose Garden was a standstill. It was ridiculous, very difficult to move in any direction. Also, just after Lorde finished, the Men's near Gobi were so packed it was UGLY. I wouldn't be surprised if some guys peed their pants waiting. I had a tough time getting past them trying to walk out of there.

Besides the horrible wind on Saturday, those were my only negatives. No bad wind on Sunday, but the screens at the Coachella Stage and Outdoor Theatre were kept really low so it made it impossible to watch from them from afar. That really sucked.

So I don't know if people didn't do any research and see all the craft food/beer options, but they were there and the lines were totally bearable. I saw Beer Belly/Mohawk Bend/Stumptown/Salt & Straw on the added restaurants list and thought they would be a total shit show, but I never waited longer than 5-10 min at any one of them. Not to mention all the craft beer options. Long, huge bar with probably 30+ beer choices (some of which are limited release and hard to find) and never waited longer than 30 seconds to get one.

I really have to say that GV did a great fucking job with the added $ to the ticket price.

As far as the music goes, I don't think I saw a bad performance (even with all the flack Outkast caught, I thought they were great and had so much fun even towards the back). Warpaint was outstanding, Darkside was a peformance I will never ever ever forget, and Little Dragon was a blast. Bonobo also was pretty impressive. GLK/Thundercat in the Heineken House was a fun way to get out of the wind on Saturday.

OH, and the Yuma was amazing. Got to groove sooo hard with so much empty dance floor to Art Department and Bicep.

To all you Wknd 2 people, I'm jealous and wish I could go back again with you. I think this was my favorite Coachella so far since 2012.

I had a great time but I felt this year was more crowded than the last 2 years.

I don't know if they sold more tickets or if people are just showing up earlier and staying longer but it seemed pretty apparent to me.

It felt way more crowded then in past years. I think I am over weekend 1, might be sticking to Weekend 2 from now on. Just too many LA kids messing with the vibe, had a great time but there was a very different vibe this year then in the past when I have gone, especially weekend 2 last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnifexlol View Post
    So I don't know if people didn't do any research and see all the craft food/beer options, but they were there and the lines were totally bearable. I saw Beer Belly/Mohawk Bend/Stumptown/Salt & Straw on the added restaurants list and thought they would be a total shit show, but I never waited longer than 5-10 min at any one of them. Not to mention all the craft beer options. Long, huge bar with probably 30+ beer choices (some of which are limited release and hard to find) and never waited longer than 30 seconds to get one.

I really have to say that GV did a great fucking job with the added $ to the ticket price.

As far as the music goes, I don't think I saw a bad performance (even with all the flack Outkast caught, I thought they were great and had so much fun even towards the back). Warpaint was outstanding, Darkside was a peformance I will never ever ever forget, and Little Dragon was a blast. Bonobo also was pretty impressive. GLK/Thundercat in the Heineken House was a fun way to get out of the wind on Saturday.

OH, and the Yuma was amazing. Got to groove sooo hard with so much empty dance floor to Art Department and Bicep.

To all you Wknd 2 people, I'm jealous and wish I could go back again with you. I think this was my favorite Coachella so far since 2012.

So glad to hear that the Craft Beer Garden was easy to maneuver & had little to no wait.
    I'm excited to see what they offer weekend 2.