Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The dreaded wife / girlfriend conflict

Default Re: The dreaded wife / girlfriend conflict

Who's the man here, seriously? If your wife wants to see some other band - let her! Pick a spot and time to meet back up and do it. This is what my wife and I do.

For example - Lolla 2010 my wife really wanted to see Lady Gaga. I said, "great, I'll be posted up right here in front of the Strokes. Come back and find me (in this exact spot) when you realize just how shitty of a decision you've made." BAM - both parties satisfied!
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Is it so unreasonable to assume that somebody who is asserting that her boyfriend not go off on separate sets is because she wants to experience what she loves together? Even if my gf wanted to see something else, I'd be super bummed if she left me to see something else during 66 or Crown of Love, songs that remind me of her and that I'd like to share together. I think it's more misogynistic to assume that it's because she's needy and insecure. Not seeing how assuming someone in a relationship wants to experience things together is anti-woman. But I get it, we're all blind to our prejudices so I'm open to correction.
    So, does she compromise the things she would rather see because she knows you want to experience things with her? Your earlier post suggested that this guy had to give into his wife's demands all the time because that's "Girlfriend 101."

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    I was really hoping this thread would have been how to balance conflicts between your wife and your girlfriend over the course of the weekend.
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Also, I don't trust any couple who don't trust each other to be separated for a period of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    So, does she compromise the things she would rather see because she knows you want to experience things with her? Your earlier post suggested that this guy had to give into his wife's demands all the time because that's "Girlfriend 101."
    Mutual. I'm seeing Foster the People for her, she's seeing Replacements for me. If you're going as a couple I think it's silly to assume you won't have to compromise for each other. Should have read Relationship 101 but same sentiment. I was more addressing the idea that somebody who wanted to not see separate sets all weekend is being needy. Music is about connection and shared experiences for tons of people.

The how to go to Coachella with other people thread
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I've always said that music is better with a familiar body standing next you.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Mutual. I'm seeing Foster the People for her, she's seeing Replacements for me. If you're going as a couple I think it's silly to assume you won't have to compromise for each other. Should have read Relationship 101 but same sentiment. I was more addressing the idea that somebody who wanted to not see separate sets all weekend is being needy. Music is about connection and shared experiences for tons of people.
    I can agree with you on that. But, the advice to OP should be that his wife should be considerate enough to compromise for him on some things if he's going to compromise for her.

Exactly. I'm seeing some shitty pop sets and my gf is seeing some weirdo artsy fartsy shit and sometimes we are separating for sets. It shouldn't be all or none for either side of the party.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

The problem is, if you read his post, it's not seeing separate sets all weekend. It's seeing separate sets maybe once or twice a day here and there. The issue isn't that she wants to spend time with her husband, nobody sane would have a problem with that. The issue is that she literally wants to spend 100% of the time time together, which does come across as being clingy or having separation anxiety issues. The best solution would be for her to get over it, be willing to split up for a set or two here and there, and both parties having a great weekend. The best realistic solution is for both parties to give a little ground, for her to agree to see some of the sets he wants to see and him to agree to see some of the sets she wants to see. If she still balks at that solution the plan C is murder/dismemberment followed by hiding the pieces in the walls of the house.

I can agree with you on that. But, the advice to OP should be that his wife should be considerate enough to compromise for him on some things if he's going to compromise for her.
    Based solely on music taste, not at all on gender norms, I think the advise to OP should be that his wife should stop listening to Skrillex and Bastille for a weekend and jam to some more diverse (albeit music taste is subjective) music. Skrillex and Bastille will always be there, a The Knife music festival seems rare.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Also, I don't trust any couple who don't trust each other to be separated for a period of time.
    Especially if they're Canadian.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Bro! Imagine the following scenario: The Replacements start kicking major ass on the Outdoor and bust into "We're Coming Out" at the exact time your wife/girlfriend has to pee. Do you leave, lose your spot and kill your buzz just join her in the port-o-potty? Come on, man! This is fucking amateur hour.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

Last edited by Sexecutioner; 04-25-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Fair. My comments were less about the breakdown of splitting sets though and more about the idea of why somebody would be resistant to the "if I don't like it and I'd rather see something else, let's both do something different." I don't necessarily see that as insecure or about trust, just that somebody wants to share the whole weekend with their gf or bf. But if that's the way they want to go (no splitting sets) then the compromise has to be mutual. But I get it...I trust my GF obviously but I enjoy watching shows with somebody I love and am willing to see some dog doo if it means she'll share mine in return. The sentiment I was addressing was the "oh she must be needy if she doesn't want to split up." Which I think plays into stereotypes just as much if not more so but of course YMMV.

Guys, I said a few posts back that its not about separation anxiety or trust issues. She is small, latina and cruvy and when she gets left alone at festivals she often gets a lot of unwanted attention, which makes her uncomfortable, so she prefer to not be left alone. On top of that, we actually really like each other, music (other than Bastile and Skrillex) is a significant part of our mutual love and respect for each other, we like going to events together because we can talk about music and share a similar passion. I was being cheeky with the jewelry comment, though as I stated later I believe all girlfriends and wives know exactly how to lay on a guilt trip if they would prefer their mate do something they want.

The dreaded small curvy latina / Bryan Ferry conflict
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

My girlfriend can go where ever she wants, and I'm going where ever I want. (lol @ my gf wanting to see Skrillex)

As long as she is with me for Int'l Player's Anthem so we can rap Andre's verse together, all will be fine.

Different strokes for different folks, but me and the lady friend are going to be doing our own thing for the most part. Except Sunday, where we'll probably watch NMH>Lana>Disclosure because we're in love or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by craigoneil View Post
    Guys, I said a few posts back that its not about separation anxiety or trust issues. She is small, latina and cruvy and when she gets left alone at festivals she often gets a lot of unwanted attention, which makes her uncomfortable, so she prefer to not be left alone. On top of that, we actually really like each other, music (other than Bastile and Skrillex) is a significant part of our mutual love and respect for each other, we like going to events together because we can talk about music and share a similar passion. I was being cheeky with the jewelry comment, though as I stated later I believe all girlfriends and wives know exactly how to lay on a guilt trip if they would prefer their mate do something they want.
    I guess I don't see the problem then. You want to spend 100% of the time together because she doesn't like being left alone, fine. If she's not actually guilting you about anything then the simplest solution still works: compromise. You go to some of the shows she wants to see, she goes to some of the shows you want to see, everything is copacetic.

Always have your significant other pick what you see when you are 50/50 on a conflict or don't have a strong opinion. Better shot of getting your important sets later.

Persuade her to blow you with the tent flap open. Try to sync your orgasm up with the outro of "Subterranean Homesick Alien." That should loosen you both up.

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Dont compromise, lead from the front, wear the trousers.
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Quote Originally Posted by craigoneil View Post
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

Went with a grilfriend for the past 3 years. VERY HAPPY I can spread my wings this year and see whatever the fuck i want when i want. Havent had this privilege since 2010
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Marques Wyatt - UCLA, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Get in a fight with her on thursday and make up on Sunday night. Works every time.

Try this:

Reach your hand down your pants
    Start counting your balls
    If you get to two, say "We'll be fine seeing a couple bands without each other"
    Any less, say "You make the decision for me."

Problem solved. Have fun.

This thread is so stupid it made me want to post on these godforsaken forums for the first time...

Why don't you just not bring your gf/wife...that's what I'm doing, problem solved.

Hi coachella board

Yes. Why don't you decide when and for what your wife gets to leave the house. Why make her think she has the autonomy to want to experience something at all?

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

If she doesn't want attention, maybe she should have thought twice about being small, Latina, and curvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.