Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The dreaded wife / girlfriend conflict

Default The dreaded wife / girlfriend conflict

So, both my wife and I are passionate music fans with slightly different favorites. We both like a lot of the same music but our A lists and B lists are different and then there is the rare "what the fuck are they thinking, do I even know this person, music choices" These lead to the dreaded wife / girlfriend conflict.

Here are mine

Friday

Dum Dum Girls vs Title Fight - In either case the next act is Jaguar Ma, which we both want to see most of and if we go to Dum Dum girls late its likely I'm missing title fight, which would suck.

Bastile vs Kate Nash (or frankly anything else, including getting locked in a bathroom with a badger) - While I presume this will make people question if I actually have a set of balls, I love Kate Nash, Loved the first two records, like the new record. Its a guilty pleasure I guess. Bastile literally makes me want to cut my eye balls out with a grapefruit spoon. They are a boy band wrapped in an indie wrapped and girls each this shit up... if i hear that "but when you close your eyes..." shit one more time...

Broken Bells vs Bonobo / Woodkid - I like Broken bells. Solid B list act for me. However Bonobo and Woodkid have be super excited, particularly if Woodkid does anything close the the youtube videos with all the theatrics.

The cult vs Hot Since 82, Caravan Palace, The knife - Again, I presume this conflict someone questions my masculinity as the Cult is a historic rock band and I believe they are playing the Electric album on this tour. However Hot Since 82 is one of 3 DJ sets I'd actually consider leaving the fields to go to the club for, Caravan Palace looks like a great live experience and The Knife looks like an art experience in itself and I'm intrigued.

Saturday

Oddly little, our lists are damn near the same, other than

she wants to see Cage the Elephant and I would rather light my ball hair on fire and have a troop of flamenco dancers stamp it out.

She wants to see muse and catch some skrillex and I want to see Nas and file for divorce for her wanting to see skrillex

Sunday

We havent both gone through yet, but I have a sinking feeling shes going to choose something to conflict with Laurent Garnier...

I have tried suggesting we go catch what we want and sync up after but she starts to do the jewelry pout when I suggest such a thing

Default Re: The dreaded wife / girlfriend conflict

Sounds like a great relationship.

7/1 - Deafheaven @ The Casbah
    7/11 - Cloud Nothings @ Soda Bar
    7/19 - Wolves In The Throne Room @ Che Cafe
    8/5 - Arcade Fire, Spoon, Dan Deacon @ Sleeptrain Amphitheater
    8/21 - NIN, Soundgarden, Death Grips @ Sleeptrain Amphitheater
    8/22 - Future Islands @ Irenic
    8/23~24 - FYF

You have to make some concessions and she will as well. I missed descendants last year because my fiancee wanted to see SMD. I was bummed but had a great time seeing how much fun she was having. Also she will wake up and go with me early to sets such as bo ningen even thoughs she could give a shit about them.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

No offense but you're wife kinda sounds like a petulant brat if she's pouting over you wanting to maybe see some shows she doesn't want to see. I would suggest a compromise, pick a few of those that aren't too big of a deal to you and offer to go to her choice for those if she'll agree to split up for the ones you do really care about.

P.S. Don't worry about your manhood, I love Kate Nash too, only reason I'm missing her is cause I love Neko Case more.

I was really hoping this thread would have been how to balance conflicts between your wife and your girlfriend over the course of the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Why don't you just each see the shows you want to see? Do you not trust her to be alone without you?
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i thought this thread was about juggling a wife and girlfriend at coachella.

much disappoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Why don't you just each see the shows you want to see? Do you not trust her to be alone without you?
    Read his post more carefully, he suggested it and she tried to give him a guilt trip about it.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Then I vote for divorce.
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Maybe you guys should try to do some bonding activities together before the fest. Examples include taking sand to a beach and bringing water to the ocean.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

You could not be an uptight asshole and compromise on certain sets. Is it really gonna kill you to make your old lady happy by dancing with at some shitty pop sets?
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

You're in a relationship man. It's not your weekend singular, it's your weekend plural. Go see some awful shit and watch how happy it makes her. Lord knows I'm seeing some terrible stuff but it will mean the world to my girlfriend and it will bring us closer.

Hahaha . Yeah I usually bully my way 90% of sets and give her a couple.Seeing Bastille is some real torture for you .
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
    No offense but you're wife kinda sounds like a petulant brat if she's pouting over you wanting to maybe see some shows she doesn't want to see. I would suggest a compromise, pick a few of those that aren't too big of a deal to you and offer to go to her choice for those if she'll agree to split up for the ones you do really care about.

P.S. Don't worry about your manhood, I love Kate Nash too, only reason I'm missing her is cause I love Neko Case more.

I was really being dramatic in my post, she's actually really cool, she doesnt like to be left alone during festivals because for some reason her small curvy latina frame attracts a lot of unwanted attention and she hates dealing with the flocks of bros.

F it
    Don't go
    Give ur passes to needy children who won't bitch as much as u

O ya Cage the E is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
    Read his post more carefully, he suggested it and she tried to give him a guilt trip about it.
    Because she wants to share the experience of her favorite music with the man she loves. She doesn't just care about the music, she cares about experiencing the music as a cohesive unit and anything less will be a huge disappointment. Guys this is Girlfriend 101. Come on now, man up and make her weekend.

My husband and I split up and watch different sets all weekend long. Your wife sounds like a clingy insecure twat. Maybe don't be such a pussy.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Why do you have to spend all the time together? Take a little break to see the bands each of you want to see and get back together to see the ones you both want to see.

I've been to Coachella with my wife a few times now and we don't give a fuck, we go see whatever we want to see. We just make good plans to know where and when we are meeting.
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

I'm going to see some stuff my boyfriend cares more about than I do in lieu of others things and he's going to see some stuff I care more about than he does in lieu of other things. And we might each see stuff we care about separately if we decide to, and then meet up after.

The jewelry pout? Fuck your dumb wife.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

How do my wife and I resolve our conflict? She is staying at home and I will be at Coachella.

Her taste in music exclude most bands at Coachella. Honestly, I don't care for the majority of the bands either. Coachella 2014 for me is basically a Replacements gig with a few other bands.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Because she wants to share the experience of her favorite music with the man she loves. She doesn't just care about the music, she cares about experiencing the music as a cohesive unit and anything less will be a huge disappointment. Guys this is Girlfriend 101. Come on now, man up and make her weekend.
    Fuck this misogynist patronizing bullshit.

Last year my girlfriend and I were together for about 95% of the weekend. At one point, I wanted to go see J-droids and she wanted to see Alt-J. I went and moshed with a ton of dudebros, she went and inhaled a ton of second hand marijuana smoke. Everybody won.

Saturday she wanted to go see 2 Chainz, I wanted to go eat pizza. I had some pizza, and she again inhaled copious amounts of second hand weed smoke and then really wanted some pizza so I got go get PIZZA AGAIN! EVERYBODY WON AGAIN!
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Fuck this misogynist patronizing bullshit.
    How is she supposed to enjoy any aspect of her life without her man, guedita? Come on now.
    06, 08-14

Why don't you use the 'ol, "Hey, Ill be right back. I'm going to the bathroom" trick to catch a band/group/dj? It's gotten to the point where it has become an inside joke and whenever I say this everybody knows they wont see me for a while. It works the first time. Just use it wisely... and when your wife starts harping on you as to why you were gone for SOOOO long... Blame it on the Spicy Pie.
    '01 '02 '03 '04 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13...

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Living in a society unbound to your patriarchal guidelines would make anything less a huge disappointment.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

im in bed sick, after having put our dog down, and was sick right before that, so these responses are making my day.

p.s. all girls have a jewelry pout, even the coolest of you knows how to book a classy guilt trip. its ok, seriously.

btw, juggling a wife and girlfriend during coachella shouldnt be a problem. if you wife was cool you could share your love of music and your girlfriend over the weekend.

But seriously, Skrillex and Bastille are grounds for a divorce.

Mr. H. Goomba and I always go through security together (which makes us feel secure)-then we take off separately.
    We have much to share when we reunite. It's the way our life has worked for 34 years.

We don't like all the same foods, either.

It's good, if you like it.
    For all intensive porpoises presale finally sold out

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingmad View Post
    How is she supposed to enjoy any aspect of her life without her man, guedita? Come on now.
    Is it so unreasonable to assume that somebody who is asserting that her boyfriend not go off on separate sets is because she wants to experience what she loves together? Even if my gf wanted to see something else, I'd be super bummed if she left me to see something else during 66 or Crown of Love, songs that remind me of her and that I'd like to share together. I think it's more misogynistic to assume that it's because she's needy and insecure. Not seeing how assuming someone in a relationship wants to experience things together is anti-woman. But I get it, we're all blind to our prejudices so I'm open to correction.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    But seriously, Skrillex and Bastille are grounds for a divorce.
    I have felt the same way. I dont get it, she normally has wonderful taste in music and introduces me to new bands constantly, its one of the things I love about her the most and then.... THAT!!!

In all fairness, our 11 year old girl loves those Bastille and Skrillex. I imagine its a good way for them to bond. Me the the 11 year old have lengthy critical discussions about the formulaic vapid nature of Skrillex and how brostep sidetracked dubstep when there was real opportunity for good dubstep and underground UK garage.