Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A justified? line-up rant.

Default A justified? line-up rant.

Is coachella / Goldenvoice really that out of touch with the genres and the styles of the various artists, their fan-bases, and how the particular types of music are "enjoyed" live.

I know posting isn't going to change anything. But, I just wanted to reassure myself that I am not the only one who thinks the line-up is doing things wrong and preventing the optimal Coachella experience.

The main issue I have with the lineup is how "popularity" for lack of a better word, really more like more main stream/ greater mass media/radio/ large music label presence is used to assume that certain acts are better towards the end of the night as apposed to the afternoon or day. By better I mean accomplishing two primary objectives, increasing overall attendant satisfaction and creating a better atmosphere for individual sets. As a positive it is clear they tried to avoid fan-base conflicts as much as possible, but it is only such a big issue because they dig themselves in the hole by assuming billing order should determine set times.

My main assumption is also what I would most like elaborated on by others in this thread. And that is that the enjoyment and performance of certain artists, mainly because of their genres, is completely indifferent to time of day. In my eyes for mellow rock/folk/alternative/pop artists which for the sake of this thread I will incorporate into the grouping of "MELLOW" music acts are just as enjoyable anytime after 2:00pm as they are at midnight. On the other hand, artists whose music puts oneself in the involuntary mood for hardcore "raging", dancing, and high energy are rather time sensitive and have more of a reason to be later because ending the night on this energy level makes more practical sense than raging at 12:30pm, then sitting down and watching mellow and down tempo music for 7 hours before another high energy act comes on. Thus is why the set times are completely Fucked. The aspect of stage lights and visuals also plays a huge roll in this. Hip-hop is normally non visually intensive and focuses mainly on being able to see the MC, where as at an act like glitch-mob it's all about the LAZERS. DUHHH

Why would you have acts like flosstradamus, glitch mob, and UZ play in the daytime while acts like duck sauce play the last time slot. IT MAKES NO SENSE. OLD PEOPLE/ MELLOW/ SOFT music should be earlier in the day.

What rock fan would complain about arcade fire playing at 5pm?? When UZ playing before sunset drastically diminishes from the performance. I would much rather see acts like Kid Cudi and Chance the rapper, two of my favorite artists on the line up, during the day so I can see the high energy acts that make you want to rage and your face melt at night. I get that Lorde, the dismemberment plan, tiga, muse, the pet shop boys, and becip are not my taste but are still extremely popular. I just don't get why that means their fans would care about having their set times towards EOD. While any fan of hi energy non steady beat EDM will tell you having the set during the day dramatically takes away from the fun.

I guarantee you most of those fans enjoy those mellow bands by just standing there swaying no matter what time the set is booked. Trying rage face while the sun is beating down with no lights is such a let down.

I would rather sit down and listen to duck sauce at noon so that when the hard core dance artists come on it's dark and closer to the time before I pass out from exhaustion. Who likes ending the night with mellow alternative folk? Why is it assumed being earlier in the day means that you're less of a popular artist. Fat boy slim and acts like empire of the sun and zedd should be playing earlier than acts like carnage and GTA where to me it seems like people are having the time of their lives. At a music festival i will walk by someone along the lines of Bryan ferry playing and half the people at the stage aren't even paying attention!

Who would complain if their favorite band was queens of the stone age and they got listed at 3pm? Would it even matter to you as a fan? To me it might almost be better. At the same time having show-tek play before Alesso seems so counter intuitive to me. In fact, its stupid.

Does anyone have a similar frame of thought when judging the set times? If I had it my way the times would be organized by genre instead of the stages. So it would go from the most mellow to hip-hop to harder rock than end on mostly raver music in chronological order. Not in order of who's more main stream.

I like all types of music, but I don't like raving at 12:30pm.

FYI for all you that don't know, UZ is must-see do not miss set and totally worth getting in early on Saturday for. Additional rant: Skrillex's last album was trash and he doesn't even deserve a slot.
    Last edited by mbejgrowicz; 04-08-2014 at 10:05 PM.

Default Re: A justified? line-up rant.

TD;DR
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

Worst 1st post ever

What makes you think anyone wants to read all of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if Daft Punk were to play, but at the end, they take of their helmets and it was Justice all along? And they're all like "We are Juusteeeece!"

Great first post!
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reeber View Post
    What makes you think anyone wants to read all of that?
    Because it's justified
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Brevity can be your friend.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

i love lamp

UZ should headline each night.

This was good. *slow clap*

Quote Originally Posted by Twattycakes View Post
    TD;DR
    QFT

Good stuff! UZ will be ill!
    You mad b?

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    Brevity can be your friend.
    Then it wouldn't be a rant, would it?

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Because it's justified
    He pulled first.
    06, 08-14

You will find the answers you seek peppered through out every other thread on this forum, good luck

Can I add a quick/ - If you like zedd & MG you must have a shitty taste of music post.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - The Zombies / Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Because it's justified
    Actually I think it's justified? really

You're the person everyone ditches by the end of the night, huh?

didnt read .... Fuck off with your rant two days before the festival

So this fucking cop wants all the rock and hip hop early, then nothing but shitty EDM on every stage once it's dark? Get fucked, pig. Excuse me, Office Bejgrowicz.
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

What a waste of bandwidth, OP should be subjected to bukkake forever
    Tycho @ Granada Theatre 9/22 | Hercules & Love Affair live @ Club Dada 9/22 | Sam Smith @ House of Blues Dallas 10/9 | Hardkiss @ Dallas 10/10 | SBTRKT @ House of Blues Dallas 10/12 | Catz n Dogz @ It'll Do 11/1 | Death From Above 1979 @ Granada Theater 11/8 | Eats Everything @ Kingdom Austin 11/13 | Sasha @ It'll Do Dallas 11/22 | Caribou @ Austin 11/23

I thought I agreed.. but no. This idea only makes sense for the order of Sahara and Yuma tent. If they actually did implement this idea, there would be an EXTREME amount of conflicts. Also I would be pissed if QOTSA played at 3pm. They fuckin rock the shit out and I wanna see them at night.

OP is mad because he won't be able to see the lazers if all the EDM artists play before sundown.

This is a mainstream festival. Not EDC.
    If you don't like it, we got two words for ya...

You are very dumb.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

I thought this was going to be about Timothy Olyphant...
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by mbejgrowicz View Post
    Is coachella / Goldenvoice really that out of touch with the genres and the styles of the various artists, their fan-bases, and how the particular types of music are "enjoyed" live.

I know posting isn't going to change anything. But, I just wanted to reassure myself that I am not the only one who thinks the line-up is doing things wrong and preventing the optimal Coachella experience.

The main issue I have with the lineup is how "popularity" for lack of a better word, really more like more main stream/ greater mass media/radio/ large music label presence is used to assume that certain acts are better towards the end of the night as apposed to the afternoon or day. By better I mean accomplishing two primary objectives, increasing overall attendant satisfaction and creating a better atmosphere for individual sets. As a positive it is clear they tried to avoid fan-base conflicts as much as possible, but it is only such a big issue because they dig themselves in the hole by assuming billing order should determine set times.

My main assumption is also what I would most like elaborated on by others in this thread. And that is that the enjoyment and performance of certain artists, mainly because of their genres, is completely indifferent to time of day. In my eyes for mellow rock/folk/alternative/pop artists which for the sake of this thread I will incorporate into the grouping of "MELLOW" music acts are just as enjoyable anytime after 2:00pm as they are at midnight. On the other hand, artists whose music puts oneself in the involuntary mood for hardcore "raging", dancing, and high energy are rather time sensitive and have more of a reason to be later because ending the night on this energy level makes more practical sense than raging at 12:30pm, then sitting down and watching mellow and down tempo music for 7 hours before another high energy act comes on. Thus is why the set times are completely Fucked. The aspect of stage lights and visuals also plays a huge roll in this. Hip-hop is normally non visually intensive and focuses mainly on being able to see the MC, where as at an act like glitch-mob it's all about the LAZERS. DUHHH

Why would you have acts like flosstradamus, glitch mob, and UZ play in the daytime while acts like duck sauce play the last time slot. IT MAKES NO SENSE. OLD PEOPLE/ MELLOW/ SOFT music should be earlier in the day.

What rock fan would complain about arcade fire playing at 5pm?? When UZ playing before sunset drastically diminishes from the performance. I would much rather see acts like Kid Cudi and Chance the rapper, two of my favorite artists on the line up, during the day so I can see the high energy acts that make you want to rage and your face melt at night. I get that Lorde, the dismemberment plan, tiga, muse, the pet shop boys, and becip are not my taste but are still extremely popular. I just don't get why that means their fans would care about having their set times towards EOD. While any fan of hi energy non steady beat EDM will tell you having the set during the day dramatically takes away from the fun.

I guarantee you most of those fans enjoy those mellow bands by just standing there swaying no matter what time the set is booked. Trying rage face while the sun is beating down with no lights is such a let down.

I would rather sit down and listen to duck sauce at noon so that when the hard core dance artists come on it's dark and closer to the time before I pass out from exhaustion. Who likes ending the night with mellow alternative folk? Why is it assumed being earlier in the day means that you're less of a popular artist. Fat boy slim and acts like empire of the sun and zedd should be playing earlier than acts like carnage and GTA where to me it seems like people are having the time of their lives. At a music festival i will walk by someone along the lines of Bryan ferry playing and half the people at the stage aren't even paying attention!

Who would complain if their favorite band was queens of the stone age and they got listed at 3pm? Would it even matter to you as a fan? To me it might almost be better. At the same time having show-tek play before Alesso seems so counter intuitive to me. In fact, its stupid.

Does anyone have a similar frame of thought when judging the set times? If I had it my way the times would be organized by genre instead of the stages. So it would go from the most mellow to hip-hop to harder rock than end on mostly raver music in chronological order. Not in order of who's more main stream.

I like all types of music, but I don't like raving at 12:30pm.

FYI for all you that don't know, UZ is must-see do not miss set and totally worth getting in early on Saturday for. Additional rant: Skrillex's last album was trash and he doesn't even deserve a slot.
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Lurker

Ravestock was cool, but I wasn't there.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

A fucking terrible? first post
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

yep, they didn't take into account our biorhythms when setting the lineup...damn

next year they should add when buying tickets what time we eat lunch, dinner and go to bed. Make a spread sheet of that. Cross check it with the bands that play along with the genre of music and cross check that with how heavy band A is against band B. Upon those results get a set list from each band in advance to analyze how ones mood will be while listening.

GTFO

Ain't nobody got time for that

The sad thing is your bitching can come right back to you. Why do you care if Arcade fire is at 11:am and some other band closes the night....it doesn't matter. Go and have fun. The reasoning is simple...more people are likely to stay longer if the final act is a large/well known band. Also people are more likely to leave on a high note and therefore want to return the next day or next year as that was there final memory of the festival.

Not sure if renewals would be high if Jon Beaver closed out Sunday Night.
    Last edited by baily; 04-10-2014 at 05:48 AM.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing