Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOUSE RENTAL SCAM ALERT!!!

Exclamation HOUSE RENTAL SCAM ALERT!!!

If you rented a house through vrbo posted by a guy named Ro be rt En ri qu ez with contact info: Phone | (seven - six - zero) two/nine/six-eight/seven/five/four it's a scam! Apparently he set the house up with several groups of people, collected the money, and got the hell outta town. It sounds like he used to be legit years prior, but he turned.

If you haven't already, check and double check your sources to make sure it's legit. Dirty, dishonest people are total scum and unfortunately there are plenty of them out there. Good luck out there people, and happy Coachella!
    Last edited by peggycrestview@yahoo.com; 04-15-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Default Re: HOUSE RENTAL SCAM ALERT!!!

Argh! I think this guy scammed me too! How did you get that background info on him? So shady.... Thanks for the post!

After having several years of great luck with vacation rentals and fantastic landlords, I'm pretty sure that I was scammed this year, too. Not for this house, but for one in Rancho Mirage.

Luckily, by some miracle, I was able to find a last-minute hotel, though I'm less optimistic about ever getting my money back. :/

I believe our group is a victim of the same scam... What is everyone planning to do? Should we report this to the police? Let me know your thoughts and please email me with any questions/concerns (@gmail.com). This is a terrible situation to be in.

How did you all lose your money? Did you guys actually hand this dude an envelope full of cash months before the fest?

I imagine most people used palpay. Also part of different group affected by this guy. At this point, we are all basically screwed and I definitely would not plan on being able to stay here. Police are aware. Please, anyone who has been affected PM me. I leave for Palm Springs tomorrow so I might be out of communication for a bit, but we need to figure out how many people are affected by this. I guessing at least 40-50, maybe more.
    Criminal charges will be necessary once we're all done enjoying the festival. Bottom line, better look for new place to stay. I feel awful for everyone; hopeful we can salvage the weekend.
    Or at least, all meet up for a "I got scammed by Robert Enriquez" beer.

Wonder if it would be worth contacting someone from The Desert Sun or other local media. It might not help to get money back, but could direct some shame/outrage on the people who do this terrible stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    How did you all lose your money? Did you guys actually hand this dude an envelope full of cash months before the fest?
    We were scammed by someone else ("Dan Moran"), but basically we found the house on FlipKey, signed a contract, and pre-paid a chunk of the rental months before the fest. Which was probably stupid, but is not entirely uncommon for vacation rental properties. I've done it in Palm Desert the past few years with no problems, but in the future I'll stick with doing rentals directly through AirBNB (where they handle all of the transactions) since it turns out to be an extremely safer option.

We were also scammed by the same guy. I posted back on Saturday because I thought he might have scammed multiple people but no one replied at that time.

We took things a bit further than most did, probably. Briefly, we had someone go by the house on Sunday and the wife (Teena) said that Robert had gone missing. We then called the police and they went to the house and got Teena's home number. I spoke to her on multiple occasions. She said that Robert had become violent with her and she had to call the police. He then went missing as per her account. We actually came to a new agreement with her where we were going to rent her a hotel room and still stay in the house. Anyways, she's not answering that number anymore. I assume that she skipped town now.

If you want to add your name to the list, you can contact the police officer whom I spoke to on Sunday and again today. His last name is Lehaley or something like that. 760.836.3215, Ext. 5 For Non Emergencies. He knows of two groups at present.

We had a group of 10 people, coming from Canada and we are definitely up for a couple of beers in the beer tent with all the other victims.

Where is this house located? You should just park down the street and check to see of he eventually comes home at night and if he does go ahead and call the cops.He needs pay for the wrong he did.

I recommend that anyone involved contact Sgt Letterly at the Riverside Sheriff Dept as he is building a case.

Hi Everyone,

Just an update here and to elaborate a bit on jbcheeseburger's post. The deputy Sheriff's last name is Letterly and he will be handling the case for everyone involved. He notified me that Robert Dennis Enriquez was just a tenant in the house and that he has talked to the real homeowner about the issue at hand. The homeowner said that no one is allowed to be in his house this weekend, that the neighbors have been notified, and it will be considered trespassing if anyone shows up.

EDIT: removed address for homeowner's privacy

Just a word of caution to anyone getting the crazy idea to camp on his yard or sneak inside - I don't think it will end well for you. We are all in this shitty boat together. There are 15 people in our group who are currently homeless this weekend. If anyone knows of anything or has any suggestions, I am all ears. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by seanaldhino; 04-24-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: removed address for homeowner's privacy

Wow, what an asshole. But I'm guessing he has a pretty good chance of getting caught and changed, considering he used his real name and address. There has to be some way they can find him, right?

This is some crazy shit...if someone devotes the time necessary-you should be able to catch this guy. He doesn't sound too bright.

Where's the PLUR?
    If you don't like it, we got two words for ya...

Quote Originally Posted by seanaldhino View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Just an update here and to elaborate a bit on jbcheeseburger's post. The deputy Sheriff's last name is Letterly and he will be handling the case for everyone involved. He notified me that Robert Dennis Enriquez was just a tenant in the house and that he has talked to the real homeowner about the issue at hand. The homeowner said that no one is allowed to be in his house this weekend, that the neighbors have been notified, and it will be considered trespassing if anyone shows up.

The house is at:
    44134 Elkhorn Trail
    Indian Wells, CA 92210

Just a word of caution to anyone getting the crazy idea to camp on his yard or sneak inside - I don't think it will end well for you. We are all in this shitty boat together. There are 15 people in our group who are currently homeless this weekend. If anyone knows of anything or has any suggestions, I am all ears. Thanks in advance.

Seanaldhino@gmail.com
    Current owner bought in 2012. 3bd 2 ba 1737 sq ft house. If the scammer really was a tenant, the owner of the property should have a rental application with info about the guy that will be helpful for you or the police.

https://www.facebook.com/robertdenni...uez?fref=photo

Start hunting him down by finding his friends.

Sucks for everyone. Those who happened to pay with a credit card should call them up and have them do a chargeback. Hell even Paypal might be able to help if the police are involved. Good luck.
    Last edited by mmsk123; 04-09-2014 at 07:46 AM.

HiFromDFU is on spot...I don't think the guy bailed. He is probably staying at a hotel near by waiting for the fest to pass.

If you paid through PayPal, they may be able to give you a refund. A house rental is considered a "service" which puts reimbursement in a gray area and may take more time (from 10 up to 30 days!), but maybe you'll get lucky and find someone who's willing to help since obviously so many people have been affected by this crook. Someone contacted me and said he pulled this scam last year too. Hopefully this scammer gets put in the slammer!

We got scammed as well! Beware!!!!

Wish I had seen this earlier to meet you all for a beer over the house! Hope everyone was able to find accommodations on such short notice. Definitely was a bummer but we were able to be put up by a family friend. I hope everyone had the same luck and that there aren't more people about to get scammed for weekend 2 and stagecoach!!

Hi I got scammed too! Who do I contact? HELP PLEASE!!! For stagecoach weekend...

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by ih8terkies View Post
    Hi I got scammed too! Who do I contact? HELP PLEASE!!! For stagecoach weekend...
    I too was scammed. I was alarmed when Robert wouldn't return my calls and when I checked with his bank, a teller told me that his account was locked down and the securities department was also looking for him. I too called the police number posted in the other posts and gave my report to an officer there and he informed me that the palm desert police knows of what this person is doing and they WILL be actively looking for him to prosecute. I paid $1900 thru paypal and they told me that we will most likely be able to get our money back and they also closed his paypal account.

On another note, I called on a property in Indian wells and this 3 bedroom was listed for $650 per night and I asked the lady if I could get it for $400 per night and because of my situation, she allowed it so now I feel much better. If someone wants her info, call me at 909-856-2six2five Scott

Lastly, I am close to palm desert so I will be in touch with the police and I will post on this site if and when I have any news.

Wow, I wonder how many people got screwed.

damn...he got a lot of you

I hope everyone gets their money back...
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

There is a lesson to be learned here... I hope it all turns out well for everyone affected.
    Helping you make 2014 the best festival ever...

As close to being your dedicated driver without the price.

Just when you think you are getting ahead of the rat race, along comes faster rats.

Lurker

I have been in touch with the police officers that are handling the case and they say that as of today 18 people have been scammed by this guy.
    If anyone would like to be informed on whats going on with this guy, please shoot me an email and I will keep you informed when ever I get any news.
    scott@PumpBottleMisters.com

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

so sorry to hear about this guys, how shitty! i would recommend removing the address of the home owner though, especially since they were not involved. i understand wanting to be helpful, but that is private information. best of luck to everyone involved!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.