Thread: keeping tents/canopies tied down without metal stakes?

Default keeping tents/canopies tied down without metal stakes?

first year camping on purpose since 2010, and i did that RV styles. this year i'm the one responsible for tents/ez-ups. so how do most people secure them to the ground without metal stakes? i saw enough destroyed canopies last year to know that if the wind gets crazy you take that shit down, but i'd like to somehow secure my things just as a precaution.

i figure i'll have enough stuff in my tent to keep it from traveling too far in any unexpected winds, i'm mostly worried about the canopy. what do most people use to secure them?
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Default Re: keeping tents/canopies tied down without metal stakes?

Metal stakes, but I'd also recommend hitting a few extra into the ground and tying them to the structure with rope if possible. But seriously, at least the legs with metal stakes.....that may sound obvious, but I kid you not, EVERYONE last year in my "group" for weekend 1 didn't stake any of theirs down and they were all lost by Sunday. Morons.

Just hire a hobo to watch it, and take action if anything happens.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Metal stakes, but I'd also recommend hitting a few extra into the ground and tying them to the structure with rope if possible. But seriously, at least the legs with metal stakes.....that may sound obvious, but I kid you not, EVERYONE last year in my "group" for weekend 1 didn't stake any of theirs down and they were all lost by Sunday. Morons.
    exactly. i walked the camp grounds most of sunday night/monday morning w1 last year and i saw easily over 200 destroyed or "lost" canopies. trying to prevent that from happening to me if the winds pick up really quick again this year.

i figured i could ninja in some metal stakes if i have no other choice but i'm more interested in any solutions that aren't against the rules. sandbags? weights? cinder blocks? trying to understand what GV would have us do.
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

the no metal stakes rule is for the sake of the horses that use the field.

you can just buy plastic ones, and a plastic mallet to plastic hammer them plastic in with.

they work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    exactly. i walked the camp grounds most of sunday night/monday morning w1 last year and i saw easily over 200 destroyed or "lost" canopies. trying to prevent that from happening to me if the winds pick up really quick again this year.

i figured i could ninja in some metal stakes if i have no other choice but i'm more interested in any solutions that aren't against the rules. sandbags? weights? cinder blocks? trying to understand what GV would have us do.
    I've never been stopped with metal stakes yet, but I always have plastic ones with me just in case.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

I used to think the metal stakes rule was dumb, but then I imagined a 3,000 lb animal's foot catching one that the cleanup crew missed at like thirty miles an hour. and man that's some nasty shit. idk if plastic are honestly any better in that scenario but they're easier to find/clean up

I bought sandbags this year at home depot so we'll see how that goes. We had three canopies go up two years ago fully staked down with metal stakes, freak dust devil came through and destroyed our site. Luckily it was Thursday at like 2pm so at least we got it outta the way early. Luckily a beach umbrella landed in our site so we had that going for us.

Like everything else it's just a matter of who of your security guard is. We never had a problem, then last year we we brought cinder blocks instead of stakes and they confiscated those instead. Something about building materials or some BS, who knows. Usually if your cool to your security guard, help them out as much as possible they will usually help you out. Remember that they are out there sweating their ass off all day dealing with kids bitching about that $20 pipe they just confiscated.