Thread: Pinched Nervechella

Default Pinched Nervechella

So, I have a pinched nerve in my back and it hurts as fuck. After a few minutes standing or walking the pain irradiates down to my left leg and I can barely walk.

I'm currently on Ibuprofen and pain killers but it doesn't seem to be enough. My doctor gave me some choices:

- therapy, exercise and stretching for a few months (not enough time for Coachella but I'm on it)

- I can get an epidural to block pain but there's no guarantee that it will work and it's expensive.

- Surgery.

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to take it for 3 days. Has anyone gone to Coachella with a back or leg injury? How did you deal with it? Just take drugs or what?
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Default Re: Pinched Nervechella

Can you use a wheelchair?
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Narcotics, alcohol, or Marijuana.
    Or a mix of all three.
    But seriously, good luck!
    Have you tried a steroid shot?
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Gay is the answer to everything.

I would suggest prioritizing your health over Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i would prioritize coachella over my health, but that's just me.

a buddy of mine did coachella about 3 weeks after tearing his ACL. he got ADA everything and ended up having a great time. i won't say it was easy though.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I'm assuming by "pinched nerve" you mean you have a herniated disc in your back or neck? If that's the case you have my sympathies. Suffered one of those myself a few years back and I'm still recovering. If you decide to go I'd find a good chiropractor and get a couple of adjustments before the festival. Ice the shit out of the nerve that is involved and do plenty of back stretches throughout the day. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I would suggest prioritizing your health over Coachella.
    hate to say it but probably this. i mean you could just pick one stage for part of the day and another stage for another chunk of the day and try to move as little as possible, but if you are camping you'll have walk to/from your site every day and sleep on the ground. if you have a hotel then you have to walk to/from your car or the shuttles every day.

be honest with yourself. if the pain isn't going to get any better in the next few days then just go out to your yard in the sun and stand/sit on the grass for an hour and ask yourself if you think it's something you can do all weekend. if the answer is "no" then unfortunately this might be the year you miss. is the worst thing that could happen that you're just in bad pain all weekend? or could a weekend on the fields actually make your condition worse in the long run?
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

I was in a car accident many years ago and can't stand for long periods without being in a lot of pain due to pain in my mid and lower back and sciatica in both of my heels.

My typical strategy is to be in shape before coachella- good diet, exercise and stretching.

At the festival, I'd recommend stretching and alcohol. The booze seriously dulls the pain for me. Just remember to mix in some water too. Sit down whenever possible, stretch and mentally build yourself back up for the next set.

I don't know how severe your pain is but I can tell you mine is pretty significant and following the advice above allows me to have a good time, even with the pain.

Yeah, what I have is a herniated disk in my lower back. That epidural I mentioned is the steroid injection someone mentioned. Good idea on the chiropractor, not sure how my doctor will feel about that.

I guess I'll need to come up with a good plan when the set times are released and minimize walking. I'm taking the shuttles so that's about a mile walk every day in and out.

This is scary...

OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Did Coachella last year 3 months after 2 surgeries for a herniated disc. Still was sore and had to take vicodin and drink a bunch.

Can't imagine going without treatment, with all the walking it would be impossible. Even in a wheelchair i can't imagine it would be bearable either.

I'd pick health over Coachella in this situation. Hope you feel better.

dude - no way your making it.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

I agree you should not go if it's going to be unbearable or make things worse. Even in good health Coachella is physically strenuous and stressful, and being in severe pain the whole time is really going to make it not fun!
    I would also recommend seeing a good chiropractor, they might be able to really help you. Painkillers also good, as is forcing yourself to take it easier than you would normally. Rest, stretch, hydrate A LOT and try not to walk/move more than you have to, I agree wheelchair or ADA access could be a big help for you. Good luck!
    Coachella 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2)...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Flowers are born to die, bro

i know this pain all too well and i can't imagine you doing Coachella without mass pain killers and very little movement. If you are going to be tough and go through with it, hopefully you can rent an electric chair vehicle. i saw someone using one la couple of years ago and when i had an attack, used one to go to Disneyland. If this ever happened to me at the time of a Coachella, i would be putting around on one of the ecvs.

One of these, drugs, ADA access and understanding, patient friends.

Fuck your doctor man, go see a chiropractor!

Seriously though, everybody's different but personally I found switching from a doctor to a chiropractor was the best thing I ever did for my back problems. Doctors pretty much don't do anything except prescribe pills, PT, or suggest surgery. Chiropractic adjustments, combined with PT to strengthen it and keep it in place are a the best combo I've found. But again, might depend on your exact injury. Also, get an inversion table and hang upside down every day...

If sitting down is bare-able get a wheelchair. Being handicap is actually pretty cool at Coachella if you can handle it. The ADA viewing sections are awesome. Good luck!
    Last edited by Sexecutioner; 04-07-2014 at 08:20 PM.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Chiros can be helpful, or they can make it worse. It's a mixed bag. Take it slow, do your PT, and as much as it sucks health comes first. I work in the field and I can't how many people I see with chronic pain stemming from old injuries they neglected and continue to mistreat. Do it right the first time!

I had this as well a few years back, a car accident, and then a dance injury compounded it. Was so bad for a bit I couldnt walk very far and could barely stand up straight. Doctors were never able to help with anthing other than meds which led to stomach issues for me. I wasn't at all comfortable with the idea of surgery. So despite a personal life long fear of chiropractors, I tried one on the advice of a friend. This was in 2006 btw, I did not attend Coachella that year, but desperately wanted to return for 2007. Went to the chiro 3/4 times a week for a good 4/5 months and then down 2/3 times a week. The first 2 months of the chiro treatment were HORRIBLE, even worse than what my pain had been before I went, however the chiro had warned me it would feel worse before it felt better so I kept it up despite being depressed and in the worst pain of my life during that time. But by around month 3 I started to feel relief and was amazed how quickly after that I was able to get back to my normal self. I think in total I went to the chiro for just short of a year and felt 99% better just before Coachella 07. That was a huge test for me. But with stretches and minor pain meds I was able to make it through. And since then I have flare ups (mostly minor), it never really goes away, but I am as vigilant about it as I can be, lots of yoga stretching and I try to work out to keep my core muscles strong.

I am definitely pro-chiro after my experience. That however is probably not gonna do much for ya this year though. Like others have said if you go this year definitely try to modify your movement and sit as much as possible, even if that means being farther from the stages than you might like.

Just take care of yourself and listen to your body. Good Luck.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

NICOTINE VALIUM VICODIN MARIJUANA ECSTASY AND ALCOHOL....

KUKUKUKU-COCAINE!!!!!

Even if you decide to choose Coachella over Health, it sounds like you'd be in too much pain to enjoy the festival. Seems like a lose-lose situation, unfortunately.

Chiropractor, ice it, steady intake of ibuprofen. I have a bad back and just take it easy until the festival. Good luck

Lurker

GO TO THE CHIROPRACTOR!!! I had a pinched nerve last year and was able to walk around better after seeing a chiropractor and downing some pain killers. Also, I took a foam roller and a baseball with me to camp. I can usually pinpoint the "spot" that I could massage out. Good Luck, they suck!

You need to take Aleve, I have a herniated disc as well that also affect my left leg via the sciatic nerve. I found that taking 3 Aleve with food will at least make the pain bearable. Your injury may be more severe than mine but after dealing with it for over 3years the issue seems to have subsided without surgery, injections, or anything else invasive. Good Luck
    Upcoming Shows:

I'd rather miss Coachella and be heartbroken about it than going and risking being in so much pain that you leave anyway, and then being sad about leaving AND in nasty physical pain. If you have terrible pain after a few MINUTES, you won't make it an entire day, let alone a 3-day weekend. Not to sound like a downer but it doesn't sound like a pretty situation. I'd say take care of yourself - that pain sounds gnarly.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

disclosure just cancelled their vegas show because of a pinched nerve.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I'm not canceling Coachella, no need to worry

Quote Originally Posted by ialvarado2 View Post
    I'm not canceling Coachella, no need to worry
    Do say how it went for you
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12
    Burning Man: 08,10

I had to sit down a lot, every hour or so but luckily the sets I was watching we're not very crowded.

Last night the pain wasn't that bad (probably the pills helped) but this morning my leg hurst a little bit more. Gonna do some stretching and look for a foot massage place before heading to the feat.