Thread: Victim of Vacation Rental Fraud

Default Victim of Vacation Rental Fraud

Hey Everyone,

My friends are in the midst of a situation with a vacation rental that we have already paid in full. We have been unable to get a hold of the owner for a week now and, in light of some more recent events, it looks like it is likely fraud. I'm just wondering if there are any others out there in the same position. It's possible that this guy got money from several different parties and then skipped town while this blows over. I'd rather find out now than on his front lawn on Thursday/Friday. The house is in Indian Wells.

Also, if anyone has any leads on a house that can accommodate 10 people for weekend 1, please send me a PM. We are a group of 30ish year old professionals (mostly medical residents).

Thanks.

Default Re: Victim of Vacation Rental Fraud

That sucks. I wish you luck.

Lurker

contact Indio police, or Palms springs Police, they can better assist with the fraud, thats a bummer good luck

They are going over to the house to check it out as we speak.

We are so sorry to hear this! Ppl, that man probably didn't even own the house! Never pay in full. N always use PayPal. Coachella fans, plz believe me that there are many scammers here!!! That's why we rent out space and try to protect this from happening. You get so excited, u don't think scam. Where did u find this place? Indian Wells is pretty upscale n I doubt that someone would hand 10 med students, keys to a house. NEVER, NEVER, PAY IN FULL before you arrive and are actually inside. Wish we had room, but we booked awhile ago.

Would you guys be willing to split up? Perhaps, honest ppl here can take some of you, and others take the rest of you. The Sheriffs dept. will hopefully get to the bottom of this! Our hearts go out to all of you that have been scammed.

If you need help getting the name of the real owner, let me know and I can get that for you from a title company.

I hope you paid by credit card.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Keep us updated...my guess is that this person created a bogus ad, claiming to be the owner and scammed as many people as possible.

probably made copies of keys that don't even belong to the house. Imagine the scene when multiple groups arrive at the same house!!

So sorry!!!! We have a three bedroom house that has one king, one double, one single, one sectional and floor space for air matresses and two baths. This is our family home so we actually live here, but we have an RV that we will live in for the weekend.We live in La Quinta Cove 6 miles from the fest. We have been trying to rent separate rooms, but one group would be better for us. We are both teachers and have two kids, so our house is clean, but not a rental. Not sure what your needs are. Outside patio, grill, nice views,no pool or jacuzzi. Looking to rent for $2000 for Thursday through Monday. We are flexible on price. PM me if you think this will work for your group and good luck.

Update? Was the ad from here? Post it so others can be aware? Geez...that really bites! So sorry! Hope you paid by paypal? I would think you would be able to trace through paypal or credit card. Hopefully maybe.....it will work out and it won't be fraud....I was looking on the travel packages and saw that there are a few hotel rooms still available...Yeah they are expensive cause they have everything as a package. I just went onto Trivago.com there are many hotels available looks like decent ones for 300 a nite.

Hi, I think my group might be dealing with fraud from the same person. I'm interested to hear the address and person you were in contact with because our situations seem identical? Can you please email me at laceyep@gmail.com so we can touch base?

Thank you!

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I thought I would get email notifications if people replied so I hadn't checked this thread again. You can see the details on the other post in this forum.