Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Why the fuck are you needle dick hipstes excited to see OutKast! THEY WILL SUCK COCK!

Default Re: Why the fuck are you needle dick hipstes excited to see OutKast! THEY WILL SUCK C

Dude who cares. It doesn't matter.

Default Re: Why the fuck are you needle dick hipstes excited to see OutKast! THEY WILL SUCK C

I like Outkast, so I'm sad to hear things didn't go so well. Really though, people should have been seeing Dixon at the Yuma anyway. Why haven't we heard anything about his set? He's one of the best DJs in the world.

old school

I'm just as sad and bummed as you Arpeggi. Its unfortunate yes. I hope they redeem themselves and this set was just a backfire of what they thought was going to be an explosive performance. They have too special of a place and significance in music and they have it in them to show that as they proved in the opening.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

So much hyperbole going on in this thread. There were awkward moments, but nothing damningly bad. I had a good time, including all the slow stuff.

Three Stacks was definitely out of it, but I'd chalk that up less to him phoning it in for a paycheck, and more to the fact that he just doesn't have this down yet. Maybe he should have done more to prepare for the set, but come on guys - performing for tens of thosands of people isn't a skill you can learn without a lot practicing and touring. He'll get better.

Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    So much hyperbole going on in this thread. There were awkward moments, but nothing damningly bad. I had a good time, including all the slow stuff.

Three Stacks was definitely out of it, but I'd chalk that up less to him phoning it in for a paycheck, and more to the fact that he just doesn't have this down yet. Maybe he should have done more to prepare for the set, but come on guys - performing for tens of thosands of people isn't a skill you can learn without a lot practicing and touring. He'll get better.
    Soooo, I'm gunna have to agree here. I'm really not sure how it was up front, but I got there about 10 minutes before they started and was right behind the speaker rack directly behind the sound booth. People had a fucking blast. During the slow stuff and solo stuff some people left. Big whoop. But during slow fucking JAMS like The Prototype, people were slow dancing and singing like crazy around me. I had a great time at their set.

I will say this, Future was useless and a waste of space, and the set list was a bit awkward. It didn't really flow as well as it should have. And Andre did seem put off by the crowd, but I kind of agree what a of couple others on this board have said; there was probably a large, large, LARGE quantity of people who were at the Outkast set and who were also right up front merely because they've heard the name and were already there watching Girl Talk mash-up a bunch of top 40 singles that they heard on KIIS FM. So I think it's entirely possible that the VISIBLE crowd that Andre and the live stream cameras caught were tired, apathetic, and unfamiliar with Outkast's catalog. But as far as everyone in my general field of vision--way towards the back--it was a fun fucking show.

So, if you're going to weekend 2 and want to see a really legendary rap group give a great performance that covers most of the high points of their career, go see Outkast. You'll have a great time. Hopefully they'll clean up their set a little bit.

OR, if you wanna jump on an internet band wagon and judge the content of a performance based upon what you saw on a live stream and read on a notoriously critical forum, then go ahead and miss a fun show. Fun people will need the space in the crowd anyway.

we love these hoes

Also, for Weekend 2 goers, Future is not going to be there on Friday. He has a show in Florida and unless he has teleportation powers, we will be spared his appearance. Let's hope we get Cee Lo Green instead.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

FUCK.

THAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I'd definitely not call it a disaster. That opening run was insane; Big Boi's section was solid. It absolutely died once Andre had to own the stage, though. They had a chance to regroup with Roses, but dug the nail further with Future instead. Starting a half hour late didn't help.

Some friends of mine waited through Girl Talk to get close, and they said the crowd energy sucked. Where I was (as close as the back of the sound booth), people were having a blast, dancing their faces off - at least for the initial run of songs.

That said, the more I think about it, the more that stage set up was a disaster. It was lit to look good on the screens/webcast, so it looked dim live. You couldn't see their faces well, which makes it hard to connect. It pushed their (SUPER AWESOME) band way to the sides, when they should have been front and center. And it meant Andre and Big Boi couldn't burst with energy - they were stuck pacing in a tiny box instead. Tough to get a crowd moving when you yourself can't.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I'd definitely not call it a disaster. That opening run was insane; Big Boi's section was solid. It absolutely died once Andre had to own the stage, though. They had a chance to regroup with Roses, but dug the nail further with Future instead. Starting a half hour late didn't help.

Some friends of mine waited through Girl Talk to get close, and they said the crowd energy sucked. Where I was (as close as the back of the sound booth), people were having a blast, dancing their faces off - at least for the initial run of songs.

That said, the more I think about it, the more that stage set up was a disaster. It was lit to look good on the screens/webcast, so it looked dim live. You couldn't see their faces well, which makes it hard to connect. It pushed their (SUPER AWESOME) band way to the sides, when they should have been front and center. And it meant Andre and Big Boi couldn't burst with energy - they were stuck pacing in a tiny box instead. Tough to get a crowd moving when you yourself can't.
    Totally agree, the band was killer and I loved the new arrangements of the songs. They deserved to be highlighted more. The box wasn't a great idea either. I feel like a lot of the problems with this set can be attributed to the fact that they tried to optimize it for such an enormous crowd and stage. Despite their handful of huge hits, I don't feel like Outkast is really cut out to headline huge mainstream music fests like Coachella. Most of the folks there won't be familiar with most of their catalog.

I was near the front for Outkast and had a great time. Andre became awkward and obviously annoyed with the crowd, but I still was enjoying it. It was especially nice hearing Prototype and She Lives In My Lap since those are two of my girlfriend's favorite songs.

But I guess Girl Talk left the wrong crowd there. I feel fans of The Knife and Replacements would've been better to be around.

Enjoyed Crosses thoroughly.
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post

I waited pretty much the better part of the day to be up front for Outkast. The crowd up front was super into Chromeo and Girl Talk, but once Outkast hit it just felt like everyone died. I don't know if its because people just didn't really know their stuff or what. Even for B.O.B. I went apeshit and look around and almost everyone was just nodding their heads like zombies. I was like am I missing something?? Either way I enjoyed it. I think its more or less this being their first show and hurricane future draining the life out of everyone with half a brain. Andre noticeably felt bad when they got cut off. I suspect a much much better set weekend 2. More hits, less awkwardness, and NO FUTURE.

In retrospect, I think it died when Future came out. I mentally remember the crowd going apeshit from B.o.B. through the end of Big Boi's solo stuff, and then being bored during Andre 3000's section. When it became apparent that we were going back into the catalogue and out of the Love Below zone, everybody perked up only to have Future run on. I think that was the moment they lost me.

But today I went back to thinking about how much insane fun everybody around me was having for Rosa Parks, B.o.B., Spottieottiedopalicious (was surprised that everybody around me seemed to know this one), ATLiens, etc at the beginning. And Big Boi killed his solo half. I think that sans Future and a little reworking of the setlist in the second half, this tour can be an absolute success. I would have loved to see more of a party starter after the Future deadzone, Hootie Hoo was nice for the real fans but something that got everybody going like Ms. Jackson could have solved that crowd momentum problem more.

Also, crowd was great around me, I'd say we were maybe slightly behind and to the right of the soundbooth. Lots of fun back there for the first half.

Perhaps Muse or Arcade should have been on Friday. THOSE were great sets. Outkast had an opportunity to open the festival with a bang and they didn't. They completely missed the opportunity.
    2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Future has a show in Florida on Friday, so he's definitely not going to be there. I think that was probably a one time thing.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by CoachellaVet09 View Post
    Really? This one hour and a half show has completely ruined their multi-plantinum record selling legacy?

Really? The worst?

Jack Johnson, Stone Roses, Phoenix, Kings of Leon, Blur, The Black Keys, The Killers... are we just forgetting all these guys?.
    I would say their live reputation is on the ropes. Millions saw that performance Friday and it made a far greater impression than the smattering of performances 15 years ago or the tiny handful of live spots on tv.

Many of the acts you named are critical punching bags, but they did OK performances. Only Stone Roses crapped the bed. Going back a number of years I've heard bad things about Cure 2004 and Oasis 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post

Three Stacks was definitely out of it, but I'd chalk that up less to him phoning it in for a paycheck, and more to the fact that he just doesn't have this down yet. Maybe he should have done more to prepare for the set, but come on guys - performing for tens of thousands of people isn't a skill you can learn without a lot practicing and touring. He'll get better.
    I honestly wonder if they even ran the entire set in rehearsals. Sound checking an unplayed song on Thursday seems to point in that direction(not an encore song).

This is why major reunion tours do a couple (semi) private warm up shows. They can be done without audio/video getting out. They just got lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by oddlockset View Post
    Totally agree, the band was killer and I loved the new arrangements of the songs. They deserved to be highlighted more. The box wasn't a great idea either. I feel like a lot of the problems with this set can be attributed to the fact that they tried to optimize it for such an enormous crowd and stage. Despite their handful of huge hits, I don't feel like Outkast is really cut out to headline huge mainstream music fests like Coachella. Most of the folks there won't be familiar with most of their catalog.
    The box should only be used for a handful of tracks and only 1-2 at the start of the show. Raising complete for part of the set might also help.

The band need a bigger role, and were a big part of the show when I saw them in 2001. They blew Roots, New Order and a commercial peak Moby off the stage in some very big venues. Is there much difference with 30k at Glen Helen and 70k at Coachella?

Atlanta, GA; Hi-Fi Buys Amphitheatre - July 11, 2001
    Columbia, MD; Merriweather Post Pavilion - July 13, 2001
    Camden, NJ; Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - July 14, 2001
    Wantagh, NY; Jones Beach - July 15, 2001
    Wantagh, NY; Jones Beach - July 16, 2001
    Mansfield, MA; Tweeter Center - July 18, 2001
    Holmdel, NJ; PNC Bank Arts Center - July 19, 2001
    Clarkston, MI; DTE Energy Music Center - July 21, 2001
    Toronto, Ontario; The Docks - July 22, 2001
    Clarkston, MI; DTE Energy Music Center - July 24, 2001
    Tinley Park, IL; Tweeter Center - July 25, 2001
    Saint Paul, MN; Midway Stadium - July 26, 2001
    Denver, CO; Mile High Stadium - July 28, 2001
    Mountain View, CA; Shoreline Amphitheatre - July 31, 2001
    Vancouver, British Columbia; Thunderbird Stadium - August 2, 2001
    George, WA; Gorge Amphitheatre - August 3, 2001
    Devore, CA; Glen Helen Blockbuster Pavilion - August 5, 2001

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Sweet superfluous list bb
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

My disapproval for Outkast from the start as headliner worthy just can be described as this from a band that did NOT close the Mojave

Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

They brought it last night. Great set and Andre was awesome; full of energy. They only played until 12:30, though.

That's because they started earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.