Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lolla's Posted Set Times Easily Defeat Coachella

Default Lolla's Posted Set Times Easily Defeat Coachella

Lollapalooza manages to post set times weeks before their show. What gives, Coachella? Nice to have so folks know who they will and won't be able to see, i.e. who they should be listening to in the weeks leading up to the show.

Default Re: Lolla's Posted Set Times Easily Defeat Coachella

and so..???

If you need more than a couple days to look over the set times, then your mind processes are too slow to attend Coachella in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

sniffle
    I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

If you need more than a couple days to look over the set times, then your mind processes are too slow to attend Coachella in the first place.
    "I'm so smart that I can divulge entire discographies in mere minutes!" is practically what you're getting at here.

I understand that you shouldn't need more than a few hours to really decide what you want to see (although I'm usually carrying a ragged print out and making calculations till the day of, and then it becomes a ragged little booklet of improvisation) but I think you're missing this guy's point.

It kinda sucks to get into a bunch of bands and blindly discover they'll all be playing at the same time. Mind you, we should really be thankful that we discovered all these great new bands in the first place - but it's frustrating.

It's like you're studying for the Coachella Final Exam but the Professor won't tell you what's gonna be on the test so you just study every damn thing you learned in that class. And while you get out learning more by studying like that - we'd probably all get better "grades" if we had these set times at least a little bit earlier.

(Grades: recognition of songs played/built up fatigue * actual performance value = enjoyment of set)

I would think the set times were set when the contracts were signed, but maybe they do things differently at Golden Voice. "When you get to Indio, we'll let you know what time you go on."
    My favorite band is cooler than your favorite band.

Quote Originally Posted by brassneck View Post
    I would think the set times were set when the contracts were signed, but maybe they do things differently at Golden Voice. "When you get to Indio, we'll let you know what time you go on."
    Oh yeah good one, so when Rage signed on the dotted line they were told "Hey guys, you will be playing at 10:00pm on Sunday night ok?" Give me a break, and yeah this can be a double edged sword you know. Lets say somebody cancels a few days before, how will they adjust the entire schedule that has been posted and that people have been memorizing? They do it this way to make sure there are no f**k ups, and how do you know they dont take OUR opinions into it either?

Quote Originally Posted by rstayton View Post
    i.e. who they should be listening to in the weeks leading up to the show.
    Set times SHOULD NOT DICTATE who you should be listening to leading up to the festival, thats unheard of logic. People should be listening to everyone so they can see what they really like and then pick.

I have a feeling this is going to turn into like the little fiasco the Roo kids had with us when the line up was not on the page when it was supposed to but we still had one anyway on here.

Quote Originally Posted by miseducation View Post
    It's like you're studying for the Coachella Final Exam but the Professor won't tell you what's gonna be on the test so you just study every damn thing you learned in that class. And while you get out learning more by studying like that - we'd probably all get better "grades" if we had these set times at least a little bit earlier.

(Grades: recognition of songs played/built up fatigue * actual performance value = enjoyment of set)
    haha, that was an awesome analogy. i totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Set times SHOULD NOT DICTATE who you should be listening to leading up to the festival, thats unheard of logic. People should be listening to everyone so they can see what they really like and then pick.
    I agree we should be listening to everything to learn new music. Thats why Coachella is great, it turns me on to so many new artists every year. That being said, I still wish they would release the set times a little earlier then they do. I dont need it a month before, but at least a week would be nice.

To use the above analogy again: If set times were released a week ahead of time, then I could study all the material up until the last week, when I would get the study guide, and then use the last week to only cram whats on the study guide. 2 days is not enough time to put emphasis on whats on the study guide.

As long as we have the set times before we travel to Coachella, its fine by me. I will be travelling on the Wednesday and won't have access to a computer, and cell phone charges are ridiculous if you have a Canadian contract.

That's becasue Canadians are ridiculous.

Are you pushing it out, you ******?

vinylmartyr

meow

Quote Originally Posted by conklin View Post
    As long as we have the set times before we travel to Coachella, its fine by me. I will be travelling on the Wednesday and won't have access to a computer, and cell phone charges are ridiculous if you have a Canadian contract.
    If you are camping there will be computer access on the camp grounds. You could always find a cyber cafe too and look it up. Also there is "Whats Up Coach". You will get text messages with updates like set times and other things. Check the main page for that info.

why are people defending GV on the set time issue? If someone drops fucking adjust it! There's NO reason not to release the set times way in advance! If you have any major conflicts you can spend the weeks figuring out what you're going to do. AND you can spend time getting to know the bands that are in timeslots you dont care about.

GV is going about this all wrong.

oh boo hoo, we are not like everyone else.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

maybe you should consider it, that way if a festival comes to california that isnt coachella, everyone wont choose that over this one.

Member John Peel is My Co-pilot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Who has the free time to listen to the entire discography of over 100 bands?
    A teenage dream, so hard to beat...

i have nightmares about that. i worry
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

they do that cause they dont have line ups for each day when annouced like coachella......then people that only go for one day know what day to get their ticket for

Quote Originally Posted by rkawar View Post
    why are people defending GV on the set time issue? If someone drops fucking adjust it! There's NO reason not to release the set times way in advance! If you have any major conflicts you can spend the weeks figuring out what you're going to do. AND you can spend time getting to know the bands that are in timeslots you dont care about.

GV is going about this all wrong.
    If they are going about it wrong why is it sold out this year?

you guys are all such whiners....(the whiners, that is - not the rest of you)

maybe you should consider it, that way if a festival comes to california that isnt coachella, everyone wont choose that over this one.
    Because the first thing people look at when choosing a festival is when they release their set times? I admit I'm antsy to see who's playing when but I really don't need them until a couple of days before so I can plan accordingly.

So what, Street Scene will beat out Coachella or something? I dont think you will be seeing another big promoter try and start a festival in California to try and compete with Coachella, thats kind of career suicide at this point. And why would they choose it over this? Seriously, give me your full detailed explanation on this.

::his answer:: "because set times came out 2 days after tickets went on sale so I'm going cause (insert band name here) is playing at 6pm and at coachella they played at 9 pm so I couldnt see them cause I was rocking out to Rage."

Quote Originally Posted by rstayton View Post
    who they should be listening to in the weeks leading up to the show.
    WTF YOUVE HAD THREE MONTHS
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

Quote Originally Posted by miseducation View Post
    "I'm so smart that I can divulge entire discographies in mere minutes!" is practically what you're getting at here.

I understand that you shouldn't need more than a few hours to really decide what you want to see (although I'm usually carrying a ragged print out and making calculations till the day of, and then it becomes a ragged little booklet of improvisation) but I think you're missing this guy's point.

It kinda sucks to get into a bunch of bands and blindly discover they'll all be playing at the same time. Mind you, we should really be thankful that we discovered all these great new bands in the first place - but it's frustrating.

love the metaphore!
    as predicted by nostradamus

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    i have nightmares about that. i worry
    Pretty cocky. Remember, festivals come and go. You don't own the patent on So Cal rock fests.

Lolla vs Virgin is a good example. When the talent pool thins, both festivals suffer.
    Last edited by brassneck; 04-18-2007 at 10:54 AM.
    My favorite band is cooler than your favorite band.

Quote Originally Posted by HEADSTRUCK View Post
    they do that cause they dont have line ups for each day when annouced like coachella......then people that only go for one day know what day to get their ticket for
    That is an excellent point, in regards to Lollapalooza. At least we know who's playing on a given day, WAY in advance. And in regards to the set times, as has been pointed out before, and alluded to by PF, that 'the powers that be' are continually checking our input (via the board and the microcommunity) in an effort to minimize conflicts. Update your microcommunity profiles, people. They're watching. I'm gonna go update, Of Montreal hadn't been added when I last updated.
    Upcoming: 04/11/14-04/13/14 - Coachella Weekend One; 04/18/14-04/20/14 - Coachella Weekend Two; 08/19/14 - NIN/Soundgarden (Isleta Amphitheater - Albuquerque, NM)

Quote Originally Posted by brassneck View Post
    Pretty cocky. Remember, festivals come and go. You don't own the patent on So Cal rock fests.

Lolla vs Virgin is a good example. When the talent pool thins, both festivals suffer.
    Well the talent pool hasnt suffered here now has it? And yeah I dont see Coachella OR Bonnaroo going anywhere any time soon for example, so quit your whining. Also Lolla signed a deal with the city for be there for 5 more years garaunteed. Coachella is the new Glastonbury DEAL WITH IT.

i looked on the lolla site and i couldn't find the set times.

Talking Re: Lolla's Posted Set Times Easily Defeat Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    oh boo hoo, we are not like everyone else.
    you're right....you're not like everyone else (other festivals). You are not as considerate and fan-friendly as the other festivals (such as Bonnaroo and Lollapalooza). However, you are snotty, elitist, and indifferent (towards any festival goers that question the way things are run by GV); as well as being overpriced.
    There are some open-minded posters on this board (suprefan, rosetta stoned, patton), but mostly the Coachella fans on here seem like prissy, unfriendly, indie-snobs. This is a reflection of the vibe of your festival. "(You) are not like everyone else".

Everyone is friendly and optimistic about the bands on the Bonnaroo site. This is a reflection of their festival.

So long, indie snobs (fober and psychic friend definantly top the list)! I will go chat with the friendly and open-minded souls on the 'Roo board.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    I felt like I'd just watched something culturally significant. Actually, Nirvana came to mind. I hope this is Arcade Fire's coming out party.