Thread: Is a Camelbak worth it?

Default Is a Camelbak worth it?

Hello board--

First time poster, first time attending Coachella!

I'm trying to decide if I should order myself a Camelbak for Coachella. Is it a worthwhile investment? I'd only ever use it for festivals, so spending $50+ on a fancy backpack that I'd only use maybe eight days a year and doesn't hold much more than water seems like not-great ROI.

Thanks for your advice.

Default Re: Is a Camelbak worth it?

I don't wear one because backpacks annoy me, but if you don't have big enough pockets or a purse to hold a water bottle, it's probably worth it. I hate holding a water bottle all the time. Can you find a used one at Play it Again Sports or on ebay/craigslist? Or even at a military surplus store? Might be cheaper that way.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Can you find a used one at Play it Again Sports or on ebay/craigslist?
    There are many used ones on ebay, but the idea of putting my mouth all over someone's used Camelbak bite valve skeeves me out.

Not from a coachella experience but I quickly disliked Camel packs because they don't keep the water cold...especially if your out in the sun it will only make your back sweat and make the water warm very quick.

the booklet this year specifically says they are not allowed
    7/30 - Arcade Fire - Shoreline
    8/1 - Xiu Xiu - Bottom of the Hill
    8/8-8/10 - Outside Lands - GGP
    8/12 - Antemasque + Le Butcherettes - GAMH
    8/15 - James Zabiela - Mighty
    8/24 - NIN + Soundgarden - Shoreline
    9/27 - Simian Mobile Disco - Mezzanine
    10/3-10/5 - Hardly Strictly Bluegrass - GGP
    10/4 - DJ Shadow + Cut Chemist - Mezzanine
    10/6 - Kasabian + Bo Ningen - Fox
    10/19-10/20 - Treasure Island Music Festival
    11/1 - Erasure - Fox
    4/17-4/19 - Coachella weekend 2

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

They're not designed to keep water cold. Most other water carrying devices won't keep the water cold at Coachella either. I've never had an issue with the water getting too warm though.

Quote Originally Posted by clareperretta View Post
    There are many used ones on ebay, but the idea of putting my mouth all over someone's used Camelbak bite valve skeeves me out.
    You can replace just the mouth piece. I am not sure how much it costs but I can't imagine it is a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by clleadz View Post
    the booklet this year specifically says they are not allowed
    FAQ on the website disagrees: http://www.coachella.com/festival-info/

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

hmm weird. I'm 90% sure the booklet said they are not
    7/30 - Arcade Fire - Shoreline
    8/1 - Xiu Xiu - Bottom of the Hill
    8/8-8/10 - Outside Lands - GGP
    8/12 - Antemasque + Le Butcherettes - GAMH
    8/15 - James Zabiela - Mighty
    8/24 - NIN + Soundgarden - Shoreline
    9/27 - Simian Mobile Disco - Mezzanine
    10/3-10/5 - Hardly Strictly Bluegrass - GGP
    10/4 - DJ Shadow + Cut Chemist - Mezzanine
    10/6 - Kasabian + Bo Ningen - Fox
    10/19-10/20 - Treasure Island Music Festival
    11/1 - Erasure - Fox
    4/17-4/19 - Coachella weekend 2

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Get a Platypus
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Camelbak's are cool to have....if you're not the person in the group that's actually wearing it lol. In my experience with being in a group with people that have them, girls that are drunk/rolling will be all over you begging you for "JUST A LITTLE BIT" of your water...and it's pretty hard to say no unless you want to look like a douche. I would say stay away, just deal with holding a water bottle.
    Dum Dum Girls | MS MR | Deorro | Bastille | Carnage | Ellie Goulding | Shlomo | Glitch Mob | Chromeo | FLUME | OutKast

Cage the Elephant | Banks | Bombay Bicycle Club | Kid Cudi | Dillon Francis | MGMT | RL Grime | Lorde | Queens of the Stone Age | Nas

STRFKR | The 1975 | Naked & Famous | Flosstradamus | AlunaGeorge | Little Dragon | Disclosure | Arcade Fire | Lucent Dossier

Lurker

I put ice from the vendors in my Camelbak and fill it up with water. It's really amazing and it stays cold for quite awhile.

I use my Camelbak for hiking and a few festivals each summer and I've found it to be totally worth the price I paid. I also like the comfort of having some water easily accessible if I'm feeling dehydrated or tired.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by clleadz View Post
    hmm weird. I'm 90% sure the booklet said they are not
    I just reread the booklet and you're correct. It says they're not allowed. I've never had a problem with mine as long as it's empty, though.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I imagine the website is more up to date than a booklet which would have been finalized months ago.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I used mine the first year I went (2008) and haven't since since. It's much better to not have to lug it around or worry about watching it if you set it down. Water is cheap.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I don't wear one because backpacks annoy me, but if you don't have big enough pockets or a purse to hold a water bottle, it's probably worth it. I hate holding a water bottle all the time.
    I don't like backpacks either so a camelbak would annoy me, but I do carry a purse. it's my smallest cross body purse and works perfect for my coachella 2010 water bottle (the blue one with the palms). I just screw the lid around the strap, but I'm sure anything with a clip or an attached lid would work for OP.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar's Cousin View Post
    Water is cheap.
    or free in most cases at coachella, but that reminds me of another reason not to use a camelbak. the filling stations can be slow sometimes and it might take a while to fill one up. it also sucks to be behind someone that's filling up a camelbak or 40 small water bottles they found on the floor so just invest in a moderately sized water bottle.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Lurker

CamelBaks are designed so that you don't really notice the extra weight from the water. I don't like backpacks either, but honestly, I don't even notice that I'm wearing it most of the time.

they should sell frozen gallons of water for like $10- sure they're heavy at first but it would melt as the day wore on and be so refreshing. pre-measured to be all you need all day. I got a sealed gallon in a few times but so sad it hasn't worked out since...
    I have taken in empty refillable cups with straws or wide mouthed water bottles and added ice from the water vendors. that works pretty nice too.

the booklet people copied/pasted old rules. always look to the website for the current info.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

From my experience at Coachella a camelback is worth it. I used to bring in an empty Nalgene and fill it at the stations once in the fest, but then I was left having to hold it all day. Clipping it to my belt with a carabiner provided relief but then it got super annoying when I started dancing, banging up against my body.

2 years ago I started bringing in an empty Camelbak and filling once inside (and sprinkling in a Pedialyte packet or two every fill). I have a pretty average sized one (50 oz). Definitely don't want a huge one, but I don't have one of those tiny ones that is basically the bladder and a skin over it either. Having the camelbak is definitely super helpful. Whichever friends I was with would drink from it and not have to worry about carrying their own bottles. When I'm dancing around I forget it's on my back. Just pull the straps really right so that thing is right up against my back and doesn't move even an inch if I'm jumping up and down. Much better than carrying around a bottle/Nalgene.

Also, we drank the water fast enough (50 oz) that it never got warm/room temperature. Although sometimes if it had been a while since someone last took a sip, the liquid in the actual tubing was warm, that was no big deal, although you can buy an insulated tube if you want that to stay cold. I may get one this year. http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-90765.../dp/B00437RREI
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2013 Coachella FF Team = Demaryius Targaryen

Do you guys think pants are worth it? I mean, I was trying to decide the other day, I might just go with something else. tough decision.

less pants more fun
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2013 Coachella FF Team = Demaryius Targaryen

Personally, I don't like having a backpack. People can easily steal stuff out of it if you're storing stuff other than water. Plus, you can accidentally hit people and your back gets sweaty.

I like to bring something like THIS. I just clip it on to a belt loop or my snall purse and when it's empty I don't have to worry about it. I would recomment getting at least the 1 Liter one though. They're really cheap though and have a wide mouth so I can get some ice from the vendors selling water. Plus, if I want to put mio or some other powder mix in it, I dont' care if it gets ruined because it's so cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by homersexual View Post
    Do you guys think pants are worth it? I mean, I was trying to decide the other day, I might just go with something else. tough decision.
    Gay Mart in Palm Springs has pants at half off.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

http://www.amazon.com/Geigerrig-G1-1.../dp/B003XPFQBC I've had this for last Coachella and Outside Lands, and can't say enough good things about it. It's great for hiking and road trips too. you can use the pumping system, but I find it finicky so i use it just like a camelbak. It holds 100oz, but it works best with about 70, and it still can hold a lot in the backpack part without getting bulky. My back doesn't get too sweaty because of how the padding is laid out, and you can completely invert the bladder to clean it, really well made
    Coachillin 10, 11, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1

Quote Originally Posted by nacci View Post
    Motorhead (medium) - The name of the band is a head that is also a machine...anyone else know a group who have machine heads?
    Quote Originally Posted by timothyhockley View Post
    does goldenvoice read these posts to decide who to book?

I plan on bringing this: http://www.amazon.com/Geigerrig-The-...7495153&sr=1-6

I use it for festivals and biking. It uses a simple air bladder to pressurize the water, you dont have to suck on the nozzle, the water squirts out. This allows you to spray down your head, and give your friends a drink without swapping too many germs.

camel backs are worth it. you don't have to go to the fill up station nearly as much and it's free!
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Passion Pit drew the biggest congregation of white people that couldn't dance that I've ever seen.

It's worth it. IT's not too bulky like a back pack.