Thread: Weekend 2 - Is staying in Joshua Tree feasible?

Default Weekend 2 - Is staying in Joshua Tree feasible?

First timer here - will be doing the Solo-chella thing, and I'm trying to figure out what to do about accommodation....

Am I insane to look at Joshua Tree as an option as a place to stay? I'd be driving to the festival everyday then - and trying to find parking. I'd rather drive a bit more and spend less on my hotel, but I'm not really familiar with the area and don't want to be stuck driving for three hours each way.

My other option would be to try and find something in Palm Springs and then hopefully find something near a shuttle, but I'd probably be spending the same amount of time getting to the venue - or would I?

Default Re: Weekend 2 - Is staying in Joshua Tree feasible?

Finding parking at the festival is not a problem at all, because parking is free and you just park in one of the lots. The problem is how long you end up waiting in the parking lots once the festival ends and everyone is queuing up to leave all at the same time. If you stay somewhere in Palm Springs along the shuttle time, you have the advantage of not having to wait in the parking lot for 1-2 hours just to get on the road. But it will still take you maybe 1 hour to get back to your shuttle stop.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

No don't stay there. April is Joshua Trees busiest time. I meen. I would just park and back country it which I have done filling out the permit form, but day lots will be almost impossible to find. Stay at Shadow Hills RV Park 7 Miles away. You can Tent Camp and its at a Shuttle Stop. RIde your Bike or Drive. Shuttle is easer. This is the link to Tent Camping at the RV Park. http://www.coachellacamping.com/

They have techno music at the pool? 1:17
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I camped there in 2007 and it was a hassle. Do it before or after if you have time, but not during.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

yeah i camped there in 07 as well and it was pretty brutal. I ended up finding some friends with a hotel around palm springs and stayed there instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Last year, I did not attend Coachella but I went to Cotton Wood Campground to hike to the Palms ORasis and Backpack. All of the regular car camping spots were 100 percent full because of the great weather and regular Rock Climbers and Outdoorsy people and people there for Coachella. From the Cotton Wood Campground you have to walk 1 mile down trail to just backpack and at night I could see the 4 Spot Lights 1 hour away comming from Indio.

It is just too rugged and no showers. This is my first time going to the festival and I am staying at Shadow Hills RV Park with that pool and special event tent camping.