Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Coachella? The Ever Increasing Music Festival Landscape

Default Re: Why Coachella? The Ever Increasing Music Festival Landscape

I've been going to Coachella, off and on, since 2001. A weak lineup is nothing new. 2002's lineup was a stinker, but in 2003 they followed it up with what I consider to be the most underrated and under-appreciated lineup in the history of this festival.

The only real change to the crowd over the years is the sheer size of it. Many of those who speak of a drastic change in the demographic of the crowd probably forget their early years attending when they were likely the insufferable ones they now hate. I know how awful I was when I first started going to Coachella, but now I am in my 30's and have moved on from the person I was in those days. It's ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS drawn the insufferable college students and ravers. It's just that the culture of insufferable college students and ravers have sort of merged and altered in a way. Many of the vets around here now look at that crowd with the same disdain many older folks looked at them with 7-10 years ago or longer. In many people's eyes, roided out frat bros are just as insufferable as parachute-pant-wearing, drugged out e-tards, which is what littered the Sahara tent in the first decade of the festival.

Logistically speaking, Coachella does its absolute best to fix / correct any sort of issues. The attendance figures are high, but Coachella has mapped everything out to where you don't feel clustered in with a bunch of people often.

As far as not being as ambitious, I don't think that's the case at all. I believe they booked a lot of safe, popular acts (Muse, Skrillex, MGMT, Arcade Fire, The Glitch Mob, Calvin Harris, Alesso, Dillon Francis, Girl Talk, Chromeo and a few others) and that has ruffled the feathers of a few people, but there are zero or few other US festivals that are giving you The Replacements, The Knife, Bryan Ferry, Neko Case, Motörhead, Pet Shop Boys or The Afghan Whigs. Even many of the bigger festivals worldwide (Most notably Bonnaroo and Primavera) struck out on the Outkast reunion.

I can't really compare the experience to any of the other modern festivals, but I'll continue to attend Coachella, not just because it's the closest major festival to me, but also because it delivers year after year. Even my least favorite year (last year) was still a really good time. I will certainly take a year or two off sometime in the future (possibly to try other festivals) but as long as I can afford it and I can find enough in the lineup to be happy about, I will continue to attend.
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    of course not everything is perfect but each year they identify their weaknesses and make a noticeable effort to rectify them the following year (except for the people walking to the venue, they're still fucked). i could go on but i dont see the point.
    I'd be interested in hearing someone explain how the people walking to the festival are fucked.

Curious because this is the first year we've rented a house that is walking distance to the festival. Would like to set my expectations appropriately.

Walking to and from the festival is easy. I don't understand that gripe. The people who ride bicycles in are the ones who have a legitimate gripe.

EDIT: It's been a while since I walked into the festival, so the security measures may have made walking in much worse over the last couple of years.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 03-10-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing someone explain how the people walking to the festival are fucked.

Curious because this is the first year we've rented a house that is walking distance to the festival. Would like to set my expectations appropriately.
    I stayed in a condo that was within walking distance to the festival in 2012 (Monroe/52nd I think), but because of this:

Absolutely NO PEDESTRIANS OR PEDESTRIAN FESTIVAL ACCESS will be allowed on Monroe Street between Avenue 49 and Avenue 52 and Madison between Avenue 50 and 52
    I ended up having to walk way out of my way in this gigantic square just to get into the festival. It was like....3 miles, I think. It sucked.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I stayed in a condo that was within walking distance to the festival in 2012 (Monroe/52nd I think), but because of this:

I ended up having to walk way out of my way in this gigantic square just to get into the festival. It was like....3 miles, I think. It sucked.
    Got it. Based off of where we're located then, and the pedestrian entrances/"parent drop-off" points are on this year's map... I think we're in good shape.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    I've been going to Coachella, off and on, since 2001. A weak lineup is nothing new. 2002's lineup was a stinker, but in 2003 they followed it up with what I consider to be the most underrated and under-appreciated lineup in the history of this festival.

The only real change to the crowd over the years is the sheer size of it. Many of those who speak of a drastic change in the demographic of the crowd probably forget their early years attending when they were likely the insufferable ones they now hate. I know how awful I was when I first started going to Coachella, but now I am in my 30's and have moved on from the person I was in those days. It's ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS drawn the insufferable college students and ravers. It's just that the culture of insufferable college students and ravers have sort of merged and altered in a way. Many of the vets around here now look at that crowd with the same disdain many older folks looked at them with 7-10 years ago or longer. In many people's eyes, roided out frat bros are just as insufferable as parachute-pant-wearing, drugged out e-tards, which is what littered the Sahara tent in the first decade of the festival.

Logistically speaking, Coachella does its absolute best to fix / correct any sort of issues. The attendance figures are high, but Coachella has mapped everything out to where you don't feel clustered in with a bunch of people often.

As far as not being as ambitious, I don't think that's the case at all. I believe they booked a lot of safe, popular acts (Muse, Skrillex, MGMT, Arcade Fire, The Glitch Mob, Calvin Harris, Alesso, Dillon Francis, Girl Talk, Chromeo and a few others) and that has ruffled the feathers of a few people, but there are zero or few other US festivals that are giving you The Replacements, The Knife, Bryan Ferry, Neko Case, Motörhead, Pet Shop Boys or The Afghan Whigs. Even many of the bigger festivals worldwide (Most notably Bonnaroo and Primavera) struck out on the Outkast reunion.

I can't really compare the experience to any of the other modern festivals, but I'll continue to attend Coachella, not just because it's the closest major festival to me, but also because it delivers year after year. Even my least favorite year (last year) was still a really good time. I will certainly take a year or two off sometime in the future (possibly to try other festivals) but as long as I can afford it and I can find enough in the lineup to be happy about, I will continue to attend.
    Agree with all of this...will add two things.

Not sure the line-ups are dropping off as much as so many other Festivals have jumped up following Coachella's lead and competing for the same top and rare gets. To that extent, Coachella's still top dog...Replacements, Knife, Bryan Ferry, Pet Shop Boys basically all the acts Guy mentions, that's a serious smack down...something Bonnarroo has countered this year with just Elton John.

Where I actually feel Coachella is suffering more is in trying to satisfy the growing divide between it's two dominant audiences...the Frat-bro/Pacific Palisades Senior-In-High-School ditch day sect, and the loyal aging indie hipsters who made up the bulk of it's early core audience..with its undercard. I fall 100% in the second camp, and really felt a number of this prior year's best new critically praised acts were pushed out for more of the safe popular acts listed above.

Imagine just 5 undercard changes...dropping MGMT, Girl Talk, Ellie Goulding, Capital Cities, and Skillex for Deafheaven, Parquet Courts, The Men, Jon Hopkins, and Fuck Buttons and my guess is just about all the criticism from the second crowd would cease.

My sense is we will see more of a pingpong approach to the undercard in future years...with PT responding to the older crowd's frustration with too many mainstream acts this year by stacking the deck more in the indie/alt-rock/critical darlings direction in 2015, then appeasing the bro-crowd's complaints over the 2015 lineup with a return to more mainstream oriented line-up again in 2016, and so on and so on until new overall issues emerge.

Regardless, they still do a fantastic job of putting together a wildly diverse lineup. At the end of the day, one only needs to love 1/4 of the lineup to pretty much guarantee they'll be seeing a "Must" act almost every hour of the day.
    Last edited by IlliniQ; 03-10-2014 at 01:14 PM.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Where I actually feel Coachella is suffering more is in trying to satisfy the growing divide between it's two dominant audiences...the Frat-bro/Pacific Palisades Senior-In-High-School ditch day sect, and the loyal aging indie hipsters who made up the bulk of it's early core audience..with its undercard. I fall 100% in the second camp, and really felt a number of this prior year's best new critically praised acts were pushed out for more of the safe popular acts listed above.

Imagine just 5 undercard changes...dropping MGMT, Girl Talk, Ellie Goulding, Capital Cities, and Skillex for Deafheaven, Parquet Courts, The Men, Jon Hopkins, and Fuck Buttons and my guess is just about all the criticism from the second crowd would cease.

My sense is we will see more of a pingpong approach to the undercard in future years...with PT responding to the older crowd's frustration with too many mainstream acts this year by stacking the deck more in the indie/alt-rock/critical darlings direction in 2015, then appeasing the bro-crowd's complaints over the 2015 lineup with a return to more mainstream oriented line-up again in 2016, and so on and so on until new overall issues emerge.
    Agree with the first two paragraphs, not sure about the third. They might just stick with the douchebros and go for quantity over quality. bigger $.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsgirl View Post
    My love for music festivals ... my favourite by far ... special ... (Canada) ... fully expect it to be renewed in five weeks ... special ... weather ... Disneyland for adults... the grounds come alive! ...
    improve each year ... the people are gorgeous! ... (duh!) ... vast audience ... depth of the line up that impresses me year after year ... I can't wait to experience both weekends of Coachella!...catch double the acts!

I love Coachella so much....
    are you a 13 year old girl?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Fuck off.

No, I'm not.
    Does the word "plush" mean something else in Canada? Or does the Province just not have an editor?

As soon as you step foot onto the plush manicured polo fields
    There is never a shortage of observable visuals at Coachella.
    Coachella's also never got a shortage of audible audio.

The Coachella forum reminds me of a bad neighborhood. It's like "it's fine as long as you don't cross this street".

I like it.

I deleted my original post; I'm not interested in being trolled on these boards. I think Coachella is a fucking amazing event. Thought I would share why.

Does the word "plush" mean something else in Canada? Or does the Province just not have an editor?
    Here's a definition for you (from reference.com):
    plush [pluhsh] noun
    1. a fabric, as of silk, cotton, or wool, whose pile is more than ⅛ inch (0.3 cm) high.
    adjective, plush·er, plush·est.
    2. expensively or showily luxurious: the plushest hotel in town
    3. abundantly rich; lush; luxuriant: plush, rolling lawns.

As for your second point. You've got a good eye; you found a mistake! I'm sure the it's the first time ever in the history of writing that a mistake was published.

So glad the vibe at the festival is the polar opposite of the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    William, does Kitsgirl's avatar look to you like a woman giving birth to a giant baby as well?

You're right, but it reads weird without a comma in your usage:

Plush, manicured lawns

or

plushly manicured lawns

is better than "plush manicured lawns." Any editor should have jumped on that.
    Last edited by guedita; 03-11-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Right, and you used the word plush as a noun. Instead of the adverb, plushly.
    Agree to disagree. In the context of the article, it was used as an adjective. If you notice below the first point in the definition (in my first response to you)- it lists plush uses as an adjective.

I don't write for a living, it's just a side hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    William, does Kitsgirl's avatar look to you like a woman giving birth to a giant baby as well?

I think in almost any given year you can find another festival that has a better lineup. With that being said, Coachella is almost always near the top as far as best lineups for the year and they will typically have a couple rare acts, and usually a headliner, that no one else could manage to get that make it more unique and worth going to for me. With the exception of a couple years where the lineup was bad, it almost always impresses me. Like other people have said, they continue to make improvements every year. This will be my fifth year and the amount of changes in that short amount of time are pretty unreal. My first year was 2010 and from what I understand from people who have been going to Coachella for a long time, that was one of the least organized years. Since then they have managed to expand the festival grounds and add an extra weekend but everything gets smoother every year. I would expect them to continue to pull in rare and special acts and improve on the grounds and scope of the festival.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Agree with the first two paragraphs, not sure about the third. They might just stick with the douchebros and go for quantity over quality. bigger $.
    If we're comparing MGMT, Girl Talk, Ellie Goulding, Capital Cities, and Skillex with Deafheaven, Parquet Courts, The Men, Jon Hopkins, and Fuck Buttons, GV would make substantially more money with the latter group (assuming it sold out), no? Those bands aren't remotely as big as the former group.

Which is why it seems like a dumb comparison in the first place.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

how about comparing them to J5, Grinderman, Sigur Ros New Order and Grizzly Bear, five acts that occupied similar spots on last year's lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

So glad the vibe at the festival is the polar opposite of the forums.
    This is so fucking stupid. The vibe at any event like Coachella is likely going to be much better than the supposed vibe of any message board...

I love when people come on here and attempt to tell others off for their posting styles, constantly deflecting their idiocy by blaming others for being mean. I wonder if some of you people who aren't regular users of this board are even regular internet users. What many posters here feed off of is the way a lot lurkers respond. You make a post, guedita, Tom or someone else finds something in it to challenge, they do so and said poster starts crying like a baby without realizing they are totally being fucked with. If the people who lurk this board don't want to risk the chance of being ripped to fucking shreds, then they shouldn't fucking post.

Oh and kitsgirl, you were on the right track when you said "Fuck off". After that you just fell to pieces.

A woman's response any time she's questioned about her age should be "fuck off."

Quote Originally Posted by daveinokc@gmail.com View Post
    Hey #9 is St. Lucia Jazz Festival?
    Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    there is no better concentration of hot girls and guys in a single weekend anywhere on this planet than at Coachella.
    I would have to disagree with you there...look up the music festivals on Ibiza

we need to make shirts that say Bros to the Back
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

Quote Originally Posted by levi760 View Post
    I would have to disagree with you there...look up the music festivals on Ibiza
    if guys in speedos are your thing, then yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

daveOKC/sweet_brown = new bff

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    daveOKC/sweet_brown = new bff
    Word fucking up! Your recommendation was/is brilliant, mostly because:

I aint got time for all of that!
    Last edited by sweet_brown; 03-11-2014 at 09:09 PM.

oh, it's coming. thursday night, weekend 1, campsite TBD ...

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_brown View Post
    Word fucking up! Your recommendation was/is brilliant, mostly because:

I aint got time for all of that!
    and he gets it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Agreed on the line-ups. I think we'd get better, more interesting acts if W1 and W2 weren't identical. Also, Coachella was nice before armies of these idiots started showing up:
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    I'm pretty sure that is bonnaroo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Yes, it is.
    Matt, at this very moment, you look just about as goofy stupid as these guys did that crazy memorable night with friends at a totally different festival! Face it, when you and your favorite superiority complex come out from behind a PC screen, you're going to see people... all fucking kinds of people! Yes, there will be idiots! Guess what? There will also be guys just like you, walking around judging the crowd instead of loving the fact that so many different people from different backgrounds, demoghraphics, and moral compass, are forgetting all about the ugly out there in the World... They're not even thinking about back home or their job... Hair has been let down everywhere and people are having the time of their lives... some are better than others at controlling their behavior, but hey... One or two drunken idiots, or loudmouths, is still way better than the reality the rest of the world deals with for those 3 days...Don't judge them for enjoying their escape, C*O*A*C*H*E*L*L*A

^^The biggest hypocrite on the board, ladies and gentlemen.

This better be the year I finally meet Brokendoll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.