Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Coachella? The Ever Increasing Music Festival Landscape

Default Why Coachella? The Ever Increasing Music Festival Landscape

It's the wave of the new age of live music. Seeing 100 bands in one weekend is the way to do it, especially if your on a budget. The downside is abbreviated sets, huge crowds and the inevitable road trip associated. This is year two for me going to Coachella. I Haven't done a count, but there are more music festivals this year than I can ever remember in the past. Their is a regional focus to be considered, depending on where you live, you can catch a Coachella like festival somewhere in your section of the U.S. The Sasquatch Festival (Washington State) is becoming more competitive with Coachella, and mirrors it a bit. I got tickets for the Firefly Festival this year as well for $260, and while the line-up is a little different, it is very strong with a fourth day, and is still not sold out. I have gone to Bumbershoot two years running as well, but it is in a different league.

It seems that Coachella's strengths are:
    1. A massive budget
    2. History and reputation
    3. A very effective process for ingress and egress
    4. Sufficient hotels and parking in a reasonable distance from the festival
    5. It's in California
    6. It is an epic visual and sensory experience at night

Is Coachella the way to go in the future? I bought my tickets early bird, without knowing a single act, like I am sure many of you have done as well. Are they going to continue to be "the best" or are they going to use their reputation to make more money while other festivals get an upper hand by being ambitious?
    Thoughts?

Default Re: Why Coachella? The Ever Increasing Music Festival Landscape

Its the weather
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

totally the vibe, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    ... Keep fucking that chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    As awkward as the time I force-felched you?
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip

Excellent point.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
    Its the weather

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    totally the vibe, dude.
    Word.

there is no better concentration of hot girls and guys in a single weekend anywhere on this planet than at Coachella.

Cuz it has 2 threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

^ actually three.

I took it off the first thread because it wasn't the right place.It somehow double posted here.
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    ^ actually three.

three's a party

Quote Originally Posted by daveinokc@gmail.com View Post
    Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

1. blah
    2. blah
    3. blah
    4. blah
    5. blah
    6. blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah or are they going to continue to be "the best" or are they going to use their reputation to make more money while other festivals get an upper hand by being ambitious?
    Blah?
    i don't get the point of this thread, you just come off like a person with an agenda. 15 years on and other festivals are still copying coachella. there is a reason for this.

implying that they are just cruising along and lacking ambition is laughable. they bought the polo fields, expanded to two weekends, increased community outreach, work with local cities to widen roads and alleviate traffic, not to mention delivering consistently solid diverse lineups year after year and having the best festival webcast BY FAR. oh yea and water is still the same price it was in 1999. of course not everything is perfect but each year they identify their weaknesses and make a noticeable effort to rectify them the following year (except for the people walking to the venue, they're still fucked). i could go on but i dont see the point.
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

^ for as tall as that guy is, he has incredibly small feet.
    Last edited by kvnty; 03-09-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    i don't get the point of this thread, you just come off like a person with an agenda. 15 years on and other festivals are still copying coachella. there is a reason for this.

implying that they are just cruising along and lacking ambition is laughable. they bought the polo fields, expanded to two weekends, increased community outreach, work with local cities to widen roads and alleviate traffic, not to mention delivering consistently solid diverse lineups year after year and having the best festival webcast BY FAR. oh yea and water is still the same price it was in 1999. of course not everything is perfect but each year they identify their weaknesses and make a noticeable effort to rectify them the following year (except for the people walking to the venue, they're still fucked). i could go on but i dont see the point.
    Impressive post; love the blah's. I bought three passes, three plane tickets, rented a condo and a car, so I would say I am vested in Coachella. Just a question, that's all. Getting some good feedback. I knew there was potential to be flamed. I may be a closet sadist.

That is THE answer. Thank you very much.

hey dave blahs are plural no apostrophe just helpin' you out bro

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    hey dave blahs are plural no apostrophe just helpin' you out bro
    I knew I shouldn't have dropped out of 10th grade, or dropped all of that acid, or something like that. I'm apostrophe CRAZY: I just love them!

no this is the answer

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Stay PLUR, Dave!

Lurker

I went to Firefly last year and it was awesome!! It was my first multi day festival and I'm hooked now, so much that I decided to go for the gusto and do Coachella this year (and because my boy just moved to LA). I'll be doing Firefly again this year! So much good music this summer! I just wanted to comment because of the special bond I feel to firefly haha. But I don't think you can go wrong with most of today's festivals as long as you do your research (pretty easy these days) and go with the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by daveinokc@gmail.com View Post
    Is Coachella the way to go in the future? I bought my tickets early bird, without knowing a single act, like I am sure many of you have done as well. Are they going to continue to be "the best" or are they going to use their reputation to make more money while other festivals get an upper hand by being ambitious?
    Thoughts?
    This is an excellent question. It's a shame people haven't engaged it. Ultimately it comes down to the lineup. Coachella's lineup has gotten relatively weak (relative to prior Coachella lineups) but still beats the fuck out of Bonnaroo or Sasquatch or anything except a few festivals. I rather like the Fun Fun Fun festival and have been going to both the past couple of years. FFF may ultimately replace Coachella for me because Coachella has become something it wasn't.

no this is the answer
    There is a certain naive California parochialism that assumes they are the only people that have attractive young women with breasts.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This is an excellent question. It's a shame people haven't engaged it. Ultimately it comes down to the lineup. Coachella's lineup has gotten relatively weak (relative to prior Coachella lineups) but still beats the fuck out of Bonnaroo or Sasquatch or anything except a few festivals. I rather like the Fun Fun Fun festival and have been going to both the past couple of years. FFF may ultimately replace Coachella for me because Coachella has become something it wasn't.
    There is certainly a protective loyalty on this board, but the question was posed out of genuine interest. The concert goers here are highly knowledgeable about music, and I am no exception. I will know more after Firefly this year to make a comparison, but I was interested in the Governors Ball as well. I was initially disappointed in the line-up at Coachella this year, and while they have some interesting acts, so does everyone else. Actually, just about every festival has some of the same headliners, which is unfortunate.

i've been to austin city limts festival about 3 times and coachella once. there's something about traveling out to the desert for the weekend that makes it feel like a wonderful escape. at acl i went to the festival during the day and them went home at night as i assume most people there did. the level of commitment it takes to attend coachella results in more devoted music fans then there was at acl i feel.

oh and the weather, there's that too.

I agree with TomAZ about Coachella becoming something that it wasn't; but I guess that's what happens when festivals grow and make more money. However, Coachella has an unparalleled lineup in terms of diversity. Maybe not the best bookings but the most diverse across style, genre, appeal which allows you to explore music you may have not heard before (and not just because they're a brand new act). Also, it's one of the few US festivals with art and I fully believe that really adds so much to the experience. Plus, you're going in April and it really is like a quick summer vacation in the spring. Location and weather do play a part in your experience.

I also think a lot of regulars here are jaded. Many of us started going to Coachella long before it became what it is today, but if it is your first time I am willing to bet it will be amazing for you. I know people who are now regulars who started going in 2011 or 2012 and thought it was incredible, when many of us deemed it less than that. Rest assured there is not much like Coachella in terms of US festivals.

Edit: Also Sasquatch is nowhere near as well thought out as Coachella is. While it may be similar in lineup, it is still (years into it) working out the kinks that Coachella has nailed down. Like, "have decent food" and "make sure the sound is good".
    Last edited by casey; 03-10-2014 at 11:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    FFF may ultimately replace Coachella for me because Coachella has become something it wasn't.
    Agreed on the line-ups. I think we'd get better, more interesting acts if W1 and W2 weren't identical. Also, Coachella was nice before armies of these idiots started showing up:
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

I'm pretty sure that is bonnaroo
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Yes, it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Year two for me. In terms of organization and execution, Coachella is close to perfect. The way the P.A's are set up you can hear from anywhere you are standing, which I thought was amazing, is second to none. I did watch acts I would not normally go to see last year and loved them. I read a list in 2013 of "best events in the world" and Coachella was the only music festival on it (burning man didn't make the cut).

http://www.forbes.com/2011/02/02/car...nts_slide.html